No announcement yet.

Roster/contracts/needs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jets waived DL Kareem Brown today, perhaps the Colts could be interested?

Here's Scott's profile on him:

Kareem Brown
    Height: 6-4 | Weight: 290 | 40-Time: 5.40

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Has excellent size and a big frame with long arms...Good strength...Stout and can hold his ground at the point...Athletic and quick with a burst...Is able to penetrate and collapse the pocket...Playmaker who shows glimpses of greatness...Effective against both the pass and run...Had a great final campaign...Has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
    Does not play with great leverage...Has a ways to go in terms of technique...Has an inconsistent motor...Instincts and awareness are question marks...Has trouble disengaging from blocks...Doesn't have a lot of starting experience...His pass rush repertoire is limited...An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his ability.

Notes:
    Was used in a rotation for most of his career but really came on as a senior when he was given an expanded role...Intriguing prospect who has not yet reached his full potential but has everything you look for physically...Boom or bust type who is still improving and was pretty productive whenever he was given an opportunity.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL TFL SACK
    2002 DNP - - -
    2003 11 23 3.5 4.0
    2004 12 28 6.0 1.0
    2005 12 46 8.5 4.5
    2006 12 32 10.0 8.5
    Totals 47 129 28.0 18.0
    SI 2007 draft profile

Note: When the Patriots waived him in 2007, the Jets, the Ravens, and the 49ers all put in waiver claims for him. Obviously the Jets had the highest priority and kept him on the roster until now. Word is he didn't look too bad in this past preseason, actually. As a player with some 3-4 potential, those and other potential teams could be interested now.

Might be worth a waiver claim, I think.
    Last edited by Geo; 11-02-2008, 01:48 AM.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• The Colts sign a DT ...

Not Brown who passed waivers and was signed by the Jets to their practice squad.

Rather Antonio Johnson (6-3, 310), who was on the Tennessee Titans' practice squad before being signed to the Colts' roster. Johnson was drafted by the Titans in the 5th round of the 2007 Draft, but missed his rookie season thanks to a torn ACL injury.

If interested, some reading material: SI draft profile, ESPN draft profile, and of course from the main man himself (10th ranked DT in the class)
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Antonio Johnson
      Defensive Tackle | Senior | Mississippi St.
      Height: 6-3 | Weight: 310 | 40-Time: 5.21

Official Bio

Strengths:
      Has great size and the frame to get a little bigger yet...Very athletic with excellent quickness...Timed speed is very good...Is strong and powerful...Mobile with good range...Sheds blocks and disengages well...Makes plays in the backfield...Displays flashes of brilliance and can be almost dominant at times...Still has lots of upside.

Weaknesses:
      Was not very productive and is not a great pass rusher...Instincts and awareness are questionable...Has only two years of Division I experience and only started for one...Plays too high at times...He's not stout at the point of attack and can be run at...Might only be a wave player in the pros...Still raw and needs technique work.

Notes:
      Did not play during his senior high school campaign and then played his first two years at Mississippi Delta Community College...Has just about everything you look for physically...Some team will likely take a flyer on him earlier than his play would dictate based on his measurables and immense potential...A developmental guy.
      Very interested to see how he does, I am glad they finally mined another team's practice squad in the hopes of finding a player. I was shocked to see Muir inactive against New England, I wonder if that means anything. The Colts could use both guys against Pittsburgh.
      Last edited by Geo; 11-04-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Sounds like a very interesting player.

Funny, Titans are known for signing as many of our players as they can, maybe we can benefit from getting theirs.

Comment

• Just wanted to note that I revised my earlier bit on Ryan Diem.

I think the numbers and the situations are easier to understand now, phrased in that way.

And I aim to get a new installment up on Raheem Brock pretty soon.

Comment

• Big news day

Nick Graham could be headed for IR.

The Colts have signed tight end Jamie Petrowski from the Titans practice squad, where he's been since 2007. Petrowski is actually a Terre Haute native, played college ball at Indiana State too. Assuming he passes his physical, he should be on the practice field Wednesday.

Check out the Titans' TE Jamie Petrowski player profile, a very good comprehensive read.

Interesting bit, the Nashville City Paper says the Colts will place tight end Tom Santi on IR, in light of this move. Santi has been sidelined with a shoulder injury for the last number of weeks, although this hasn't been confirmed elsewhere that I've seen.

The Colts have signed former '07 draft pick safety Brannon Condren to the practice squad.

Comment

• Whatever happened to Titans signing all our players.

Have the roles reversed?

Comment

• The Colts are stealing the mojo back. ;)

I love the Antonio Johnson pick-up, we'll see how Petrowski fares. Spending almost two years with the Titans' strength and conditioning staff will help his strength.

Comment

• Both Santi and Graham have been placed on IR.

Santi has had real tough luck this season with injuries, hopefully he comes back strong and healthy for next year.

And the Colts have signed true rookie CB from Texas Brandon Foster from their own practice squad, keep the corners five in number.

Edit: And they've now added a third WR to the practice squad, Marques Hagans. Fomer '06 5th round pick of the St. Louis Rams, out of Virginia. That really makes you ponder for a bit, maybe Roy Hall's recovery isn't going as well as hoped.

Also QB David Greene isn't listed on the practice squad anymore.
                  Last edited by Geo; 11-19-2008, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• Who are our major free agents?

I know Jeff Saturday
                    ,Kelvin Hayden
                    ,and Tyjaun Hagler... Who els?

Sig by BoneKrusher
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

• Colts' 2009 UFAs
                      S Matt Giordano
                      LB Tyjuan Hagler
                      CB Kelvin Hayden
                      CB Keiwan Ratliff (I believe)
                      DT Darrell Reid
                      RB Dominic Rhodes
                      C Jeff Saturday
                      DE Josh Thomas

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                        Colts' 2009 UFAs
                        S Matt Giordano
                        LB Tyjuan Hagler
                        CB Kelvin Hayden
                        CB Keiwan Ratliff (I believe)
                        DT Darrell Reid
                        RB Dominic Rhodes
                        C Jeff Saturday
                        DE Josh Thomas
                        I bet Saturday goes and gets him a good contract for another team. Not sure about Hayden. I would hate to see Darrel Reid go.

Sig by BoneKrusher
                        Originally posted by killxswitch
                        Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

• I hope we get Hayden and Saturday back. The rest won't be big loses.

Rhodes has run hard and I won't be against bringing him back for the right price. But to be honest, I hope we draft an explosive runner to backup Addai.

Hagler is a solid player, but I actually hope he doesn't resign, simply because I want Wheeler to get a chance.

Comment

• If Dom Rhodes asks for much more than the vet minimum, I'm not sure what to think of that. Honestly, I don't think he's shown enough to other teams to be signed by them, but he's a solid vet to have on the team who can pass protect Peyton (a critical factor) and receive the ball. Plus this is probably Dom's best fit, so maybe both sides agree to a fair deal.

If the Colts are willing to spend on a #2 RB ... two guys I really like are JJ Arrington of the Cardinals and Derrick Ward of the Giants. But even a relatively low contract could have those guys making as much as Addai (around 1.5M), which might be something of an awkward situation.

I agree about the explosive back, and draft-wise, there are some guys I like. I like Chad Simpson and think he might be that back, but it doesn't hurt to bring in competition imo. Or maybe another back if Rhodes isn't re-signed.

Edit: Plus there's Mike Hart, who might take Rhodes' place in the offense. He brings a similar game.
                            Last edited by Geo; 11-23-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• http://1070thefan.com/news/story.aspx?ID=1042088

Colts' Lilja Will Not Play This Season
                              by 1070thefan.com
                              11/25/2008

The Indianapolis Colts announced Tuesday that offensive guard Ryan Lilja will remain on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Lilja has missed the first eleven games this season with a knee injury. He was eligible to return to the active roster through Monday, but he will remain on the PUP list and will miss the remainder of the season.

Lilja is scheduled to undergo surgery to try to correct the injury with his knee.
                              Sucks for Lilja, hopefully he gets fully healthy and ready to go for next season.

Comment

• Colts sign LB Rufus Alexander from Minnesota Vikings PS.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ose-alexander/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information