No announcement yet.

Roster/contracts/needs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buster Davis, Rufus Alexander ... any more former regarded Tampa 2 linebacker prospects remaining? ;)

Kidding aside, interesting move. Signing Alexander means he'll have to be on the active roster for three weeks, which is around the range that Brackett will miss.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Btw, looks like the Colts made room for Alexander by waiving rooke CB Brandon Foster. Back to the practice squad he goes, in all likelihood.

Comment

• Alexander has taken the #59. A #59 linebacker again, except this one will actually tackle. :D

Buster Davis is #52 btw, which surprisingly was available when that's such a keen number for linebackers (Ray Lewis is big for guys coming up). So you'll know to spot him this Sunday in the Bengals game.

Comment

• Colts sign Davenport

Runningback Najeh Davenport signed by the Colts.

Looks like Chad Simpson's sprained ankle will have him miss at least a week, plus Davenport gives the team an experienced player in the league in case Addai might be limited. I think he also did a little return work for Pittsburgh last season too, which could help with Simpson potentially out.

Wonder who gets released to make room on the roster.

Comment

• Bill Polian in his recent Polian corner, not holding back about Kelvin Hayden:

Q: How much has the return of Kelvin Hayden helped?

A: Greatly. First of all, he’s our best cornerback. No. 2, he’s really a playmaker. Kelvin’s a good example of what we talked about in player development. He only played one year at corner at Illinois. (Senior Consultant to Player Personnel) Dom Anile and I went to see him and we loved him. We said, ‘This is the guy we’ve been looking for.’ He came in here and it was difficult for him in the early going with not a lot of experience. He had been a receiver, obviously, at Illinois and didn’t have a lot of experience at the position. Then, the Super Bowl year he just blossomed. He grew and grew and grew and of course made the interception that cinched the Super Bowl. Since then, he has just been a topnotch player who really is a guy who does everything well in a Dungy Defense scheme. He tackles well. He supports the run well. He’s physical. He’s a great pass defender and he turns the ball over. That’s an ideal description of a Dungy Defense corner, and Kelvin has it all. He really has made himself into a very fine player.
            This further has me believing that the Colts will re-sign Hayden. Polian loves Antoine Winfield and I remember hearing he wanted to sign him as a free agent but he was too expensive, well now he has his own Winfield in Hayden who he will not give up if he can.

I only hope they can re-sign Marlin Jackson too. I thought Jackson was the best corner before this season but have joined Dam and co. (and Polian) in agreeing it's Hayden, although I don't think Marlin is behind too too much. Both guys easily make up the best starting duo in the Dungy era, if not well before that for some time, and I hope the Class of '05 studs stay with the team for many more years and continue to excel.

Now, Marlin is coming off a serious knee injury, so it probably makes more sense to wait and see how he comes back. He's still signed through '09. Although it might cost more next year, especially if Hayden signs a lucrative deal. But you have to make sure he's healthy and recovered, I think.

I LOVE having a secondary with Jackson/Hayden/Sanders, and if he's playing good football, Bethea too. Although I am absolutely fine with letting Bethea play out his rookie contract and cash in elsewhere. Not near as big on Bethea as I am the other three, who I'd much rather invest in.

Comment

• http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/18/harr...son-for-colts/

Schefter's the man, but he's three months or so behind on this one. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo View Post
                Bill Polian in his recent Polian corner, not holding back about Kelvin Hayden:

This further has me believing that the Colts will re-sign Hayden. Polian loves Antoine Winfield and I remember hearing he wanted to sign him as a free agent but he was too expensive, well now he has his own Winfield in Hayden who he will not give up if he can.

I only hope they can re-sign Marlin Jackson too. I thought Jackson was the best corner before this season but have joined Dam and co. (and Polian) in agreeing it's Hayden, although I don't think Marlin is behind too too much. Both guys easily make up the best starting duo in the Dungy era, if not well before that for some time, and I hope the Class of '05 studs stay with the team for many more years and continue to excel.

Now, Marlin is coming off a serious knee injury, so it probably makes more sense to wait and see how he comes back. He's still signed through '09. Although it might cost more next year, especially if Hayden signs a lucrative deal. But you have to make sure he's healthy and recovered, I think.

I LOVE having a secondary with Jackson/Hayden/Sanders, and if he's playing good football, Bethea too. Although I am absolutely fine with letting Bethea play out his rookie contract and cash in elsewhere. Not near as big on Bethea as I am the other three, who I'd much rather invest in.
                Yay! Thanks for the good read.

Sig by BoneKrusher
                Originally posted by killxswitch
                Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geo, 8/29/2008 View Post
                  The Chicago Bears have reportedly waived a former 2007 3rd round pick in linebacker Michael Okwo. I don't know if health is a concern, he should be recovered fully from the shoulder injury that put him on IR for his rookie season, he's played in the preseason. I'd love for the Colts to be able to claim him and give him a shot at backing up Freddy Keiaho at WLB.
                  Unfortunately it took until this offseason, after the waste that was the Buster Davis experiment, but ...

Indianapolis Colts 1/16 Michael Okwo (LB) signed.
                  Alright! Good to bring him in, I think he'll make for excellent competition with Jordan Senn for the #2 WLB position, if not beat him out. I really like Senn on special teams though.

Comment

• My ridiculously early 53-man roster guess

Offense (24)

QB/3 - MVPeyton Manning, Jim Sorgi, Curtis Painter

RB/4 - Joseph Addai, Donald Brown, Mike Hart, Chad Simpson

WR/5 - Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzalez, Pierre Garcon, Roy Hall, Austin Collie

TE/3 - Dallas Clark, Tom Santi, Jacob Tamme

OL/9 - Tony Ugoh, Ryan Diem, Charlie Johnson, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Lilja, Mike Pollak, Jamey Richard, Dan Federkeil, Jaimie Thomas

Defense (26)

DE/5 - Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Raheem Brock, Marcus Howard, Curtis Johnson

DT/5 - Fili Moala, Antonio Johnson, Terrance Taylor, Eric Foster, Ed Johnson

LB/6 - Clint Session, Gary Brackett, Philip Wheeler, Adam Seward, Tyjuan Hagler, Freddy Keiaho

CB/6 - Kelvin Hayden, Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, Dante Hughes, Jerraud Powers, Michael Coe

S/4 - Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Melvin Bullitt, Matt Giordano

Special Teams (3)

K - Adam Vinatieri

P - Pat McAfee

LS - Justin Snow

Top 5 guys not above:

54. OL Steve Justice - Hate leaving him off. But I wanted to keep the rookie Thomas who adds the element of size that doesn't exist on the roster, and the Colts obviously see something in Federkeil to want to hang onto him and keep developing him. If Lilja starts on PUP or a lineman gets injured, that would open a spot up for Justice.

55. KR/PR/CB TJ Rushing - If he's back to full health and picks up where he left off as the starting return man, he probably makes the roster over Coe. The Colts need to get better in the return game, right now I'd say Chad Simpson is the guy and he is okay but not as good as TJ in 07. But I really like Coe as a STer and as a CB, so I held off for the time being.

56. S Jamie Silva - I hope he beats out Giordano because I think Silva is a much better football player, on defense and on special teams, but the fact that the Colts did re-sign Giordano plus him having much better speed probably hurts those chances.

57. TE Gijon Robinson - I like Robinson's passion, but his blocking still leaves a lot to be desired. Plus there's unlikely room for a 4th TE - Painter will be developed, they will keep a 4th RB thanks to Hart's health & Simpson's legit speed/promise, and there's too much talent NOT to keep 9 offensive lineman. Hopefully Santi's ready to take over as the blocking TE.

58. DE/DT Keyunta Dawson - Initially I had him as the 5th DE, but Curtis Johnson is such a talented pass rusher than I'd sacrifice the 10 lbs. to keep him instead. And then I put Dawson as the 5th DT, but decided to go with Grady instead because Dawson isn't a very good pass rushing DT so I might as well go with the guy who is better against the run. I like Dawson and he made the position change as his coaches asked him to in late 2007, but he needs to prove he can do something really well in camp and preseason.

Hopefully the Colts can keep UDFA OL Cornelius Lewis on the practice squad, to develop him.
                    Last edited by Geo; 05-05-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Quaterback

18 - Peyton Manning
                      12 - Jim Sorgi
                      7 - Curtis Painter

Running Back

29 - Joseph Addai
                      31 - Donald Brown
                      32 - Mike Hart
                      27 - Lance Ball

Wide Receiver

87 - Reggie Wayne
                      11 - Anthony Gonzalez
                      17 - Austin Collie
                      85 - Pierre Garçon
                      83 - Roy Hall

Tight End

44 - Dallas Clark
                      84 - Jacob Tamme

H-Back

47 - Gijon Robinson
                      86 - Tom Santi

Offensive Line

67 - Tony Ugoh
                      65 - Ryan Lilja
                      63 - Jeff Saturday
                      78 - Mike Pollak
                      71 - Ryan Diem
                      74 - Charlie Johnson
                      61 - Jamey Richard
                      76 - Daniel Federkeil
                      53 - Steve Justice

Defensive End

93 - Dwight Freeney
                      98 - Robert Mathis
                      79 - Raheem Brock
                      92 - Marcus Howard
                      96 - Keyunta Dawson

Under Tackle

95 - Fili Moala
                      -- - Ed Johnson
                      68 - Eric Foster

Nose Tackle

62 - Terrance Taylor
                      99 - Antonio Johnson

Middle Linebacker

58 - Gary Brackett
                      52 - Adam Seward

Strongside Linebacker

50 - Philip Wheeler
                      56 - Tyjuan Hagler

Weakside Linebacker

54 - Freddie Keiaho
                      55 - Clint Session

Cornerback

26 - Kelvin Hayden
                      28 - Marlin Jackson
                      23 - Tim Jennings
                      49 - Jerraud Powers
                      20 - Dante Hughes

Free Safety

41 - Antoine Bethea
                      33 - Melvin Bullitt

Strong Safety

21 - Bob Sanders
                      43 - Matt Giordano

Special Teams

4 - Adam Vinatieri
                      1 - Pat McAfee
                      48 - Justin Snow

I have a couple more players on the Offense than Geo would.

I feel the team will keep Jaimie Thomas on the 53 but I don't think they will cut Steve Justice, who I feel could be the team's long term Centre project. You do forget that at the start of the 2007 College Season (Justice's Senior Season), he was the 2nd Rated Centre prospect in the country. He has talent and I don't feel the Franchise will want to lose him. I also feel that for at least this season the team will keep on Gijon Robinson. Tom Santi should some promise last year but was injured too early to name him the starter going into this year.

On D, I feel the team will bring 9 Defensive Lineman, instead of Geo's 10. I feel it will be 4 DT, 3 DE and 2 players who can play both. That gives the time at all times 5 DT or 5 DE, while saving a Roster spot. I also feel we will only bring 5 CB into the 53.
                      Last edited by Seamus2602; 05-06-2009, 06:20 AM.
                      Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

• Seamus, 10 OLs is a MAJOR overkill, 9 might be too many.

You are hurting depth at other positions and your special team's coverage unit by doing that.

Comment

• No way Keiaho beats Session out for the WLB spot. Session will be starting at LB, either strong or weak.

Comment

• Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                            No way Keiaho beats Session out for the WLB spot. Session will be starting at LB, either strong or weak.
                            If Session isn't the starter at WLB, then there's something wrong with the way the coaching staff evaluates players.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

• Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                              If Session isn't the starter at WLB, then there's something wrong with the way the coaching staff evaluates players.
                              I am expecting him at the weak side, but I am certain he will start somewhere, barring injury.

Comment

• Updated my earlier post, having Ed Johnson replace Adrian Grady as the 5th DT.

And I actually did change Freddy Keiaho to Michael Tauiliili, but decided to change it back. We'll see.

An ideal solution might be to keep Keiaho for 09 as a young linebacker is groomed on the practice squad. But that could be risky, if Tauiliili or Michael Okwo look really good in the preseason. Especially when one of those young guys could be under contract for 3 or 4 more years, unlike Keiaho.

Not only is this the deepest the Colts have been at DT, but also at LB I would say:

The big six of Brackett, Hagler, Keiaho, Session, Wheeler, and Seward. And then the young guys in Jordan Senn, Michael Okwo, and Michael Tauiliili looking to knock one of those guys off the perch above. 9 guys fighting for at least 6 spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information