No announcement yet.

Roster/contracts/needs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He didn't actually learn to swim though. Hopefully he does this offseason.

Comment

• Do you guys think Charlie Johnson will be our only backup OT? I don't like that idea at all.

Both Ugoh and Diem are injury prone and it's well documented that I don't like Johnson (he gets overpowered a lot).

Comment

• Unless Dan Federkeil can play some tackle, the best available option on the current pre-training camp roster might be Michael Toudouze. Who, as far as I know, is now ineligible for the practice squad because he's reached the three-year limit. So a decision has to be made with him.

Corey Hilliard I believe still has another year eligible for the PS, though. He's been with the club since mid-2007, he's alright.

For some reason I thought rookie UDFA Cornelius Lewis was taller, he's 6' 3.5". Doesn't mean he can't continue to play tackle in the pros though.

UDFA rookie Tom Pestock is over 6' 6" and listed at 317, although he's also listed at guard and his SI draft profile says he played he's only played guard the last three years.

I do not want to risk losing Jaimie Thomas, even if he might have to be the concession made if there is to be another tackle added. A recent Colts.com spotlight article on Thomas features this excerpt:

Colts President Bill Polian joked on draft day that Thomas was closer in size to a Colts offensive tackle than a guard, but Thomas said he worked mostly at left guard with the Colts in the offseason and that he last played tackle in high school.

“From what I've been told here, you have to be prepared to play any position,” said Thomas, adding that he played center and tackle in high school and right and left guard in college. “I've taken some snaps at center in mini-camp, trying to prepare myself to move anywhere on the line, anywhere they need me to play.”

Ask most interior offensive linemen around the Colts their position and their typical reply is, “Offensive line.” That's a philosophy Thomas said he embraces.

“Same with me,” he said. “Wherever they need me, that's where I'll be playing.”
        Thomas started at LG at Maryland. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason.
        Last edited by Geo; 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
          Do you guys think Charlie Johnson will be our only backup OT? I don't like that idea at all.

Both Ugoh and Diem are injury prone and it's well documented that I don't like Johnson (he gets overpowered a lot).
          Ugh I don't want Charlie to be a backup...

Sig by BoneKrusher
          Originally posted by killxswitch
          Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

• I had Toudouze making my roster because I believe he's the best backup the team has at LT.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

• Hey I was watching an old colts game and edge was just picking up 5 yard gains* over and over. Do you think addai can't match his play or do you think the O-line has just been weak?
              Last edited by RCAChainGang; 07-29-2009, 02:40 PM.

Sig by BoneKrusher
              Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

• The Colts have cut seven players.

http://ind.scout.com/2/882850.html

Chris Crane - QB
                Cornelius Lewis - OG
                Pat Kuntz - DT
                Tyrell Sales - LB
                Brandon Foster - CB
                Brandon Harrison - CB
                Brannon Condren - S

BigBlueShoe at Stampede Blue is of the opinion that they were cut to make room for the Drafted Rookies, maybe indicating that deals are on their way soon.
                Last edited by Seamus2602; 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM.
                Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAChainGang View Post
                  Hey I was watching an old colts game and edge was just picking up 5 yard games over and over. Do you think addai can't match his play or do you think the O-line has just been weak?
                  Edge is likely a HOF back and the best Colts back in franchise history. Hard for anyone to match completely, even with late 1st round picks. San Diego will feel this same thing soon enough in trying to replace Tomlinson, that's why they were so interested in Knowshon Moreno and Donald Brown.

Addai looks like a fish out of water when he's in open space, but he is very shifty. The Colts ran very little stretch plays last season. Addai is excellent in the receiving game, especially as a pass blocker. I often see Addai open on short/underneath routes, but for whatever reason, Peyton doesn't hit him. I don't think it would be as big an issue if he only rushed for say 800 or 900 yards if he gains 600 yards through the air at an 8-yards-plus average. Seems more effective to me, but what do I know.

I do think Brown will be the better runningback. Players (and people) tend to be what they were after college as they were in college, and in the case of Brown, he was a tough and shifty runner who was a beast his senior year. Intelligent, has a perfect attitude, and takes wonderful care of his body. He's going to play with Addai for the next two years, but after that, can take over as the starting (workhorse imo) back.

The struggles of the OL run-blocking, probably since halftime of the 07 Patriots game with some good spots here and there, might be more due to the interior trio than the tackles.

I think Jeff Saturday's peak as a player was 2005 & 2006, but I am not disappointed that he was re-signed because, even if he is sliding, he can still play for sure. He wasn't getting dominated in the run game last year, I don't think. More importantly he's the QB of the OL and allows Peyton and the offense as a whole to operate much more smoothly and quickly. The Colts aren't going to beat many teams with power, speed & smarts are their forte.

Pollak is only going to improve, get stronger. I'll keep saying it, he's going to be a stud imo.

Lilja looks like he'll play again, and if so, that's great news. When they are truly on, Ugoh-Lilja-Saturday can be sick together. See the first 6 games or so of 2007.

Comment

• Do you think Sam Giguere has a shot to make the roster and catch some balls this season?

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Do you think Sam Giguere has a shot to make the roster and catch some balls this season?
                      I think he's back on the Practice Squad this year. He'd be the first call up if one of the other Receivers was to get injured. I can't see the team carrying more that 5 WRs on the 53 and, unless Roy Hall has a stinker, Giguere is the 6th man.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Comment

• Edge was best RB in Colts' history?

Hmmm, I don't know, Dickerson played for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                          Edge was best RB in Colts' history?

Hmmm, I don't know, Dickerson played for us.
                          While Eric Dickerson played for us, the Edge was the best whilst at the Colts. Dickerson's best football was outside of Indy, while the Edge's best football was in Indy. Hell, Marshall Faulk was a better RB throughout his career than Edgerin James, but James was still better in Indy.

Comment

Do you think Sam Giguere has a shot to make the roster and catch some balls this season?
                            If I have to be bold and make a pick ...

I'll say Roy Hall is the 5th WR on the roster and that Giguere spends one more year on the PS like Seamus said. I admit I still have high hopes for Roy Hall. Maybe not as a great receiver, but a great special teamer (the Colts' Steve Tasker?).

What do you think, RCACG?

Hall is a big and fast kid, but so is Giguere. Although Giguere broke a bone in his leg in late May, but he's supposed to be ready by training camp. We haven't heard anything about a setback and he wasn't in the first cuts, so that looks good.

Obviously competition helps make the best roster, positions should go to those who earn it. Jim Caldwell is an intelligent man who is building his own pro head coaching legacy, he and the rest of the great coaches want to have the best team possible. I have a lot of trust in them.

I'm interested to see the two UDFA receivers: John Matthews (San Diego) and Brett McDermott (Holy Cross). Honestly I would rule those guys out.

Btw, here's a cool article on McDermott.

Comment

• If it's between Hall and Giguere, I'd rather the team keep Giguere. I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of Roy Hall's annual IR trip.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

Hey I was watching an old colts game and edge was just picking up 5 yard gains* over and over. Do you think addai can't match his play or do you think the O-line has just been weak?
                                A little of both. Edge is a HOF talent IMO, it's hard to match that quality. That said, looking at this article, it becomes clear that the run blocking, not Addai, was what was wrong with Addai last season. On 36% of handoffs Addai took last season (that's more than 1 of every 3 for those keeping score at home), he was given subpar run blocking. If you look at the plays where he had good run blocking, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry last season, just a hair above his career average prior to 2008. So basically, Addai is not as good as Edge, mainly because it's near impossible to be that good, but he's much better than most give him credit for, and if he's given any kind of decent run blocking next season, he'll return to Pro Bowl form, and the Colts backfield will be a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information