Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indyfan1985 View Post
    And Brock is meant for DE.
    I'd rather have the 2 more years of starting experience and 25 more pounds of bulk Brock brings to the table at UT than the green Dawson there.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

The incorrect numbers on Colts.com aren't gospel, there isn't 10 pounds between Raheem Brock and Keyunta Dawson. Both guys are around 260, if not even close to 250.

(Can I just say that I love how Roy Hall, who is actually 6-2/230, had a growth spurt with the Colts to make him 6-3/240, and then even 6-4 at times this summer? LOL, okay.)

Also, it's quite a hoot how you've drastically changed from having Brock as your least favorite starter and wanting desperately to kick him out the door in a year's time or so, Dam.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        Also, it's quite a hoot how you've drastically changed from having Brock as your least favorite starter and wanting desperately to kick him out the door in a year's time or so, Dam.
        I want him out as UT, but not to make way for Keyunta Dawson. For the record, I always felt Brock was best in the role the Colts want to put him in this year, but Brock has gotten to the point that he can at least hold the UT gap, and I don't want to go through another season of watching the growing pains of a DE learning to play UT. I saw enough of it in 2006.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

As for Moala, I'd put the chance of the Colts drafting him at zero percent. It's a pick I expect from Scott, because probably more than any other team, he really does have an outside view of the Colts when it comes to the Draft.

I'd rather not speak in definites because that's rather presumptuous of me, but I'm fairly confident in believing the team won't draft a defensive tackle of that size, with those concerns about motor, character, athleticism, and production relative to talent and team. Not in the 1st round or any round soon after.

There's reasons why between the two major scouting agencies Blesto and National, one gave Moala a 5th round grade and the other didn't even give him a draftable grade. Maybe Scott is confident he'll have a big year, but I wouldn't put that future bust-to-be anywhere near the top of my DT rankings for the Colts. Thanks but no thanks, I'd sooner take my chances hoping the Colts beat the odds and get a second Georgia defensive lineman in a row who won't bust or fizzle out. If not skip both options and go with someone else.

Also, I would want to steer clear of any Auburn prospects because that school has been a complete bust factory other than Jason Campbell and Marcus McNeil. I love to watch the team because they are so fun to watch, superb college players but not near as great pros. Just stop for a moment and think if you can name three, heck two, former Auburn defensive players who are playing well in the pros. Same deal with Oklahoma imo, which plays in an inferior conference at that to make them look even better.

Also, keep note of which junior defensive tackles declare early to cash in, especially after only one good season in their collegiate careers. The Top 15 guys are excuded for financial reasons, but when mid-round guys can't even stick around to be senior leaders, how committed are they going to be to being great pros? Let's just say it doesn't surprise me that the Bengals drafted Pat Sims this past April, I was expecting them to (although in the 2nd round, not the 3rd).

The Colts have an eye towards the Big Ten, and that's good thinking imo. There's a good amount of players there with character, ability, desire, and intelligence. Also a team like Georgia Tech and some other schools who don't skimp on those mentioned factors.

Comment

I just drafted in the forum mock:

1) Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, LSU
            2) Louis Murphy, WR, Florida

Any thoughts?

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

I'd say WR isn't a need personally, and certainly not in the second round, but that's just me.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

In my opinion, the value was most certainly there with Murphy.

Marvin Harrison isn't exactly a spring chicken either

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

Maybe not, but we have Reggie, Gonzalez, Roby, Garcon and Roy Hall behind him. Depth has looked superb in preseason, we had to let Aromashodu go as a result. I'm happy with our WR's without Marvin.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                    In my opinion, the value was most certainly there with Murphy.

Marvin Harrison isn't exactly a spring chicken either
                    I agree, the value is there with Murphy. Not sure if he's a fit for the Colts, but the value/talent is there. Jean-Francois, I'd probably go with a few other tackles instead if I was going for a DT there (plus Geno Atkins is the only junior I would consider).

As for Harrison, if he and his agent don't agree to a big pay-cut after this season, the Colts should cut him imo. Cold but true, he's not worth a 9M base salary at age 37. No thanks.

I've been thinking of doing a ridiculously early 09 Colts mock, if for no other reason than to laugh at it months from now. I'll try to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                      I just drafted in the forum mock:

1) Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, LSU
                      2) Louis Murphy, WR, Florida

Any thoughts?
                      If Jean-Francois is a UT, that works for me, if that 3-tech spot is addressed well, the Colts defense could become dominant. I have my personal preference of Vance Walker at this point, but it's WAY too early to tell who's worth it, who's not, when players can be had, etc. As for WR, I get the whole Marvin thing, but IMO WR has actually become one of the deepest positions on the team. Really it's impossible to say what the #2 need is at this point, because there are excellent fits for the system everywhere else. It might be time to get a RT of the future, though other than LT and recently C, the Colts haven't invested much in the OL, maybe Kelvin Hayden doesn't come back and a CB is needed (though I don't see how you let your #1 corner go, even in this system). I'm not a fan of investing in a Florida WR, either.

Comment

I was giving this some thought the last week, and wonder how others feel:

The number one prospect on my Colts' big board is Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins. A starting duo of Jenkins and Marlin Jackson would be too awesome beyond words. Plus they even have the same initials, those of Michael Jordan - not a coincidence. Jenkins, like Jackson, could offer free safety capability although he might even be better than Jackson in that regard. He won't get near the Colts' first round pick though, just wishful thinking.

I'll put up an early 09 mock in a few days.

Comment

Another CB? Despite dropping that INT last night, Hayden is the team's best CB IMO, and I doubt the team lets him leave. DT showed as a need last night, but we'll see what continues to show as the season wears on.

Comment

I couldn't disagree more with you Dam, Marlin Jackson is the best corner on the team imo. Look at what he does in coverage, he near shuts guys out. Plus he can play either corner spot, nickel corner which is where the team moves him in those situations, free safety, and strong safety if the situation calls for it. Could probably be servicable at linebacker, in an emergency situation. Marlin is a stud imo, he has size and speed and can pretty much do it all. Hayden makes more interceptions, but he also gives up a lot more because of his coverage at times.

As for biggest need going into '09, I would agree that it is defensive tackle. Darrell Reid is a free agent after this year, there's an empty spot in the roster even if Dan Muir pans out.

I just think that Jenkins could very well be the best player in the class, for the Colts.
                            Last edited by Geo; 09-08-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I would like to see Demetrius Byrd come to Indy. What do you guys think?

Sig by BoneKrusher
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

My ridiculously early Colts' 09 mock

1st round- CJ Spiller, runningback, Clemson
                                My patience with Joseph Addai is becoming to wear thin, thankfully the Colts have Mike Hart now and just need to pair him with a speedier back. Of course this is assuming that Spiller declares as a junior and falls this far, and for a talent like him to do that, it's not a common occurrence - especially if/when he performs at the Combine. He will fit the Polian formula to a tee and will be 22 years old come August '09. I'm bigger on Spiller than most others admittedly, as when I see his build and his physical talent, I see Marshall Faulk. He won't match Faulk mentally, but few if any backs will have the mind of an offensive coordinator like Faulk did. Spiller is the only back I would consider here, Beanie Wells will be off the board and my bust radar tells me to pass on Knowshon Moreno and Percy Harvin. Spiller could line-up some outside and also be a dynamic return man.

Alternate considerations:
                                • OT Alex Boone, Ohio State- franchise right tackle, as part of the new and improved OL of the future. Has left tackle potential too, if things don't work out with Tony Ugoh and/or his second contract negotiations. Still, it seems too high to draft a right tackle, then again protecting the franchise in Peyton Manning is imperative.
                                • CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest- I kept an eye on him this past week against Ole Miss, and wasn't impressed. Still, the Colts could definitely add a corner to the roster if/when Kelvin Hayden leaves in free agency, and I can't say I like a corner much past Malcolm Jenkins. This class of corners leaves me lukewarm at best, I don't like them much at all. Few if any fit the Colts' profile. I wish there was a mid-round Big Ten (or SEC or Pac Ten) corner to get enthused about, junior Vontae Davis has concentration issues and that sounds my alarm big time, Morgan Trent has thankfully improved over his time at Michigan. Trent might tear up the 40 at the Combine so perhaps he goes earlier than he should. Smith might be a necessary evil, but he is in consideration for BPA to be fair.

2nd round- Vance Walker, defensive tackle, Georgia Tech
                                Big body for the defensive interior who can pressure the quarterback but also play the run some. Yes he plays in the ACC, but here's hoping he will pan out.

• DT Peria Jerry, Mississippi; DT Evander Hood, Missouri- both guys could be good fits for a one-gap defense as the Colts run.
                                • DE Tim Jamison, Michigan- Good end who can put pressure on the QB and play the run. Listed at 6-3/266, the Colts would probably play him inside too. Raheem Brock isn't getting any younger, his best football may be behind him.
                                • RB Javon Ringer, Michigan State- I like Ringer a good deal, has considerable receiving abiliy and also a candidate for return duties. I'd rather draft him in the third round though.

3rd round- Andrew Garner, offensive tackle, Georgia Tech
                                Going back to the Yellowjacket well, what can I say? Quality school, Chan Gailey was a quality coach who brought in some quality talent. Garner is a multi-year starter, could be the right tackle of the future. Or at least, the premium back-up who can play both positions as well as possibly guard because he has the smarts and ability. Don't overlook fellow Georgia Tech defensive tackle Darryl Richard either, he could be a very good pick/player too.

• A linebacker or corner perhaps. Maybe even another defensive tackle?
                                Last edited by Geo; 09-08-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information