Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seamus I can't agree with your grades on the pics at all, Angerer maybe a C, Thomas a D probably the same for McClendon too...

    XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

    Comment


    • Angerer will be a good player, he was just a bad pick. Overdrafted by 1+ round when there were better values at positions of higher need.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
        Angerer will be a good player, he was just a bad pick. Overdrafted by 1+ round when there were better values at positions of higher need.
        Exactly, I dont mind the player so much, but with Charles Brown sitting there at round 2, that seems an absolute no brainer to me...

        XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
          255lbs is small for a Defensive Linemen. I'm not thinking that much about height but it is the weight that is a worry. Look at the other Defensive Ends taking in the 1st yesterday. Graham 268lbs, JPP 270lbs and Morgan 266lbs, all of them are 10lbs heavier than Hughes. He is small and that will be a worry. He does have a good build but regardless of height 255lbs is easier to move than 270lbs.
          Ask Michael Strahan and Jason Taylor if 255 is too small to be a capable all around DE in the NFL. They're both 6'5"+ too.


          The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

          If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

          <Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

          Comment


          • I've started a new thread for Undrafted FA.

            http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...ad.php?t=40944

            Comment


            • Here are videos of Polian and Caldwell describing each pick:

              Hughes
              http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=vi...e-efbf19cf536e

              Angerer
              http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=vi...0-290e72a1c64f

              Thomas
              http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=vi...1-6e7c3d6b00f6

              McClendon and Eldridge
              http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=vi...7-ccba57a3549e

              Mathews, Conner and Fisher
              http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=vi...1-6130261ebca3


              Some interesting notes:

              - Mathews is viewed as Brock's replacement, a specialist who could play at either DE or DT depending on situation. Personally, I like King to be that guy, but only because I've seen King play. If Mathews is better then so be it.

              - Bill thinks Fisher can be a KR, PR, ST gunner and a CB backup. Brandon James will probably give him a run for his money.

              - Bill sounded very enthusiastic about the UFA class they are bringing in. We'll see.

              - They think McClendon can compete for starting spot from day 1, but mentioned that several players will be considered.

              - BP compared Conner to Session. I hope so.

              - BP didn't like the OTs that were there after the first round. "OT class was VERY thin." Hmmm, I guess some of us we'll disagree with that, but Bill knows best. That sucks though, I really wanted a talented OT out of this class, maybe more then any other position.

              - Clearly they want to improve run-blocking greatly.

              - Hughes won't only be a situational DE. Sounds like he'll play some standing up also. BP also mentioned that Hughes was the last prospect they had on their board with 1st-round grade.
              Last edited by MaxV; 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                Ask Michael Strahan and Jason Taylor if 255 is too small to be a capable all around DE in the NFL. They're both 6'5"+ too.
                Yes and Michael Strahan dropped to the 40th pick overall, and Jason Taylor dropped to the 73rd pick overall. Probably because people were worried about 255lbs defensive linemen. They proved them wrong. I hope to all things good and holy in this world that Hughes proves me wrong and shows that he is a stout run defender too. But most people his size aren't.
                Originally posted by George Carlin

                In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

                In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                  Seamus I can't agree with your grades on the pics at all, Angerer maybe a C, Thomas a D probably the same for McClendon too...
                  Angerer is a slight reach, which is why it is B and not an A, Thomas is a talented player, at a position of need for pretty decent value. I don't see the problem with giving him a B.
                  Originally posted by George Carlin

                  In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

                  In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

                  Comment


                  • Thomas and McClendon sound like talented projects.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
                      Yes and Michael Strahan dropped to the 40th pick overall, and Jason Taylor dropped to the 73rd pick overall. Probably because people were worried about 255lbs defensive linemen. They proved them wrong. I hope to all things good and holy in this world that Hughes proves me wrong and shows that he is a stout run defender too. But most people his size aren't.
                      Everyone in the Colts front office for the past 12 or so years has also made their living off of capitalizing on the "undersized" label, so you should know that that's not a concern for them. Also, given the fact that Hughes is about 6'2", he's about proportionately equivalent to a 6'6" 270 DE. Don't discount that low COG either, when you're playing on the line, low man wins, and guys like Thomas, Gaither, McNeill, etc. are going to have difficulty being low man against Hughes, just like they've had that same difficulty against Freeney and Mathis for years now.


                      The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

                      If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

                      <Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                      <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                        Exactly, I dont mind the player so much, but with Charles Brown sitting there at round 2, that seems an absolute no brainer to me...
                        I think the reason that Polian didn't want to draft Brown was that compared to most LTs he has a significant weakness in run-blocking. For a team that's trying to improve this trait, this pick could go against the goal they're trying to achieve.

                        That said, it's a valid argument that, there are 5 spots on the O-line, and we can run behind 4 of them. Let's use one to make sure we pass-block well.

                        I had a random thought after reading about Eldridge. Oftentimes as I read about the top LTs in the draft, they're sometimes tight ends that are converted to OTs, since they tend to have above average agility for their size. That said, how much of a leap is it to make Eldridge a long-term LT prospect?

                        Eldridge is the best or near best blocker at an elite college program, he's 6-5 260, and he's played most of the positions along that O-line, which would lead me to think he's a quick learner, and willing to work extra to fill the needs of the team.

                        Maybe he'd need 2 years to gain 20-30 pounds & work on his technique. But this is Charlie's contract year, so Polian's got to decide what to do with him. It's a somewhat common practice for college programs, what's to stop the Colts from doing it?
                        Last edited by falloutboy14; 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM.

                        Comment


                        • I don't know.

                          Keep in mind that College teams get their players out of HS and with a big roster they can afford to let a player just get bigger.

                          It's much more difficult to go through that process in the NFL. If you are on the roster, you need to contribute.

                          Not to mention that it really depend on the person. Some have easier time gaining weight then others.

                          I doubt that Colts drafted him to convert him to OT.

                          Comment


                          • Adam_Schefter
                            Colts third-round pick, DB Kevin Thomas, sustained a knee injury during last week’s rookie camp that could cause him to miss this season.

                            XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                              Adam_Schefter
                              Colts third-round pick, DB Kevin Thomas, sustained a knee injury during last week’s rookie camp that could cause him to miss this season.
                              Damnit. The one guy out of this draft, other then Hughes, that I was excited about.

                              Figures.

                              Comment


                              • Why have we not gone after Ciron black yet? Wish we would have taken Selvish Capers in the 6th put him at guard. Mclendon pick is a complete flop. The raiders outdrafted us
                                Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

                                Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information