Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about Sam Young?

Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post

The Colts are solid in both Starters and Depth at QB, RB, WR and TE. The four Offensive Skill positions we have a solid 1st Rnd starter, and have invested heavily in backups as well. The only area on the Offense that I beleive could see improvment is the Offensive Line, and this is a realtively weak Offensive Tackle class. Players like William Beatty and Phil Loadholt are better prospects than some Tackles who will go in the 1st this year.
    Sam Young of Notre Dame made a huge leap from the previous year in pass protection and he can be a road grader like Loadholt and is a very good prospect at right tackle. With Diem's big contract, I would not mind BP taking a look at him though I feel Sam Young will be gone by the time we pick.

Another possibility totally overlooked is the DE position. Freeney is one of those DEs that can play all running and passing downs. Mathis, I still have my doubts on running downs. Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson are nothing but clones of Mathis, will excel in rushing the passer on obvious passing downs. Brock is the closest to Freeney as a DE for running downs.

One of the prospects that is intriguing to me is Brandon Graham, DE, of Michigan. Size wise, he is very close to Freeney and a quality DE like him can make Brock expendable. Despite all the DEs we have drafted, the closest one that can make Brock and his contract expendable is probably Eric Foster but Eric Foster probably has more experience at the UT position than anything else right now.

To me, I can see the Colts go CB (Myron Lewis), DE (Brandon Graham), or OT (Sam Young) or S (Nate Allen).

I am still leaning towards a pick for our secondary. The more Larry Coyer blitzes, the more emphasis there would be on man coverage and with Bethea/Marlin Jackson both hitting free agency, it is a safe bet to go with the secondary with a quality upgrade.

Of course, with so many changes to be tested out, we have to see if Ugoh holds up, if our 3rd WRs/2nd TEs hold up like expected, if Marlin's knee holds up etc. So any discussion of the future will change based on how our several changes to player responsibilities pan out / do not pan out.
    Last edited by chad72; 07-28-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I put out a new Mock Draft yesterday. Here are the Colts' picks:

Indianapolis Colts

27th - Indianapolis Colts - Selvish Capers - OT - West Virginia Mountaineers - R/S Snr
      58th - Indianapolis Colts - Sean Lee - ILB - Penn State Nittany Lions - R/S Snr
      89th - Indianapolis Colts - Javier Arenas - CB - Alabama Crimson Tide - Snr

The Colts pick the top Zone Blocking Linemen of the Draft which should bring some stability to the Left Tackle position. Ugoh could be moved to Right Tackle if and when Ryan Diem leaves. They also bring in Sean Lee to replace Gary Brackett and get really good value for Arenas to shore up the Cornerback spot and provide the Colts with a dynamic Returner.

The rest of the draft is here.
      Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Pass on the West Virginia tackle imo.
        1. So what if he's been protecting Pat White's backside, the guy plays right tackle.

2. Doesn't play in anything close to a pro offense.

3. He sounds like Tony Ugoh Lite. The real deal didn't work out.

4. My general rule of thumb is to pass on anyone from West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and places like Florida, Florida State, Miami, etcetera. The issue for me is intelligence from those talent pools. There are exceptions of course, like Edgerrin James, but the Colts need players with brains from the neck up to match the talent from the neck down. That's why the Colts like players from conferences like the Big Ten and Big East: smart, talented, and tough football players.
        I like the Arenas pick because I think he's a very good corner and a great return man. But I've seen him take some really stupid penalties which make me seriously question his mental toughness, and his character. Still would probably like him. He probably won't drop that far though, unless he runs a bad time.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Only 4 WRs on roster

I still think BP goes skill position to boost our WR depth if he does not pick up one on the waiver wire.

My choice, Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati, WR.

I thought of Jordan Shipley who I feel will have a monster season this year with Colt McCoy, he just knows to get open and is a good return man too.

But Jordan Shipley would be a slot wideout for us, which is what Collie was drafted for. Hence Mardy Gilyard. Freeney and Brown are our first round picks from the Big East which is gaining some respect and Cincinnati as a program is gaining as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
            I still think BP goes skill position to boost our WR depth if he does not pick up one on the waiver wire.

My choice, Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati, WR.

I thought of Jordan Shipley who I feel will have a monster season this year with Colt McCoy, he just knows to get open and is a good return man too.

But Jordan Shipley would be a slot wideout for us, which is what Collie was drafted for. Hence Mardy Gilyard. Freeney and Brown are our first round picks from the Big East which is gaining some respect and Cincinnati as a program is gaining as well.
            Bill Polian likes drafting player high who will contribute straight away. As you say, Collie is our slot receiver, and working well with Manning, and is a prototypical slot. So unless they expect Gilyard to reguarly spell either Wayne or Gonzo then I don't see the current value. Even in a 4 WR set, they'd put Dallas Clark as the 4th Receiver. Unless the Colts are gonna come out of the empty backfield then I don't see Gilyard adding anything other than his return ability.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Comment

It's early, but some guys I like:

Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota (6-3, 207)
              Jammie Kirlew, DE, Indiana (6-3, 263)
              Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana (6-3, 280)
              Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas (5-11, 205)
              Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern (6-6, 278)

maybe
              Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (6-0-3/4, 275) *Intelligence?
              Sean Lee, LB, Penn State (6-2, 235) *Physicality?

Comment

I see your point

Bill Polian likes drafting player high who will contribute straight away. As you say, Collie is our slot receiver, and working well with Manning, and is a prototypical slot. So unless they expect Gilyard to reguarly spell either Wayne or Gonzo then I don't see the current value. Even in a 4 WR set, they'd put Dallas Clark as the 4th Receiver. Unless the Colts are gonna come out of the empty backfield then I don't see Gilyard adding anything other than his return ability.
                Not all first round picks contribute right away. Freeney took the middle of the season before he started. Marlin Jackson did not really start till the next year. Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne took time to contribute in a larger capacity. It really depends on the position.

It seems like the obvious need is at tackle but BP never goes for obvious need only, he goes for best value at a position of need. One thing I did forget was that Marcus Howard's cut places our quality DE depth at a precarious level. If Freeney or Mathis goes down, there is no way this team wins in the playoffs, it will be 2007 deja vu again. Marcus Howard apparently was not the answer, neither is Brock or Foster or Dawson, IMO. Let us keep our fingers crossed.;)

I can see someone like Brandon Lang of Troy (DE) coming from a good defensive program being drafted. Before Howard was cut, that would have never been at the top of my list, now I feel it is. Darrell Stuckey is definitely an option but he may be gone by that time. Brandon Lang may have a greater chance of sticking closer to the high 20s or 32 if we score SB #2.:)

Plus, I personally feel that the dropoff in OT quality is just like dropoff in DT quality, huge after the middle of the first round. Real value can be found again at the end of the second round. Plus, given BP's history of selling LBs short, an OT is more likely with a second round pick than an LB. Just my opinion.

Or 2010 could be the first year where BP moves up the draft if a tackle he likes drops. I wish he had done that with Michael Oher this year but then both the run O and run D were gaping priorities. Based on history, he might just stand par.
                Last edited by chad72; 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
                  I really, really like Decker. He is an absolute carbon copy of Anthony Gonzalez. He could really be worth a look but I probably, at this time, wouldn't look at him as a 1st Round pick. In my recent draft I had him going at the bottom of the 3rd. He won't blow up the Combine but he runs great routes, has brilliant hands etc so would make a really good Colt.

Jammie Kirlew, DE, Indiana
                  The opposite of Middleton. He doesn't have great speed for his size but seems to make plays. I'd wonder whether he will make it at the next level, where everyone will be more athletic than him?

Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana
                  Middleton hasn't really impressed. Good size and speed but his production is almost non-existant. The exact opposite of Kirlew. The team could take a late round flyer at him but I would touch earlier that the 6th.

Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas
                  Stuckey's a solid, tackling Safety, a lesser Bob Sanders, very similar to Bullitt type. If we resign Bethea and release Bullitt then Stuckey could be a very good shout but if Bethea goes then we need a real ball hawk, not another heavy hitter. Justin Woodall, a Safety from Alabama, could be looked at in the latter rounds. Tall, fast, not a bad tackler but also has really good hands.

Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
                  He's a prototypical 5 Technique, could struggle in the leverage game in the 3 Technqiue. He could be a really good every down LE though, but I just don't see the need for the Colts at LE. I also feel that Wootton isn't worth a 1st Round pick and will probably be gone by our pick in the 2nd Round.

Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
                  The problem with Graham is he is as LE as you can get. He is a multi purpose Left End, and we don't really need a multi purpose Left End. We need someone, potentially, to groom to replace Freeney, but I don't feel Graham is it.

Sean Lee, LB, Penn State
                  In my most recent mock I had us taking Sean Lee in the bottom of the 2nd Round. He's a good combination of speed and strength and could be similar (maybe not as good as but still similar) to Brian Urlacher.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                    Not all first round picks contribute right away. Freeney took the middle of the season before he started. Marlin Jackson did not really start till the next year. Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne took time to contribute in a larger capacity. It really depends on the position.
                    I'm not even talking as a starter. In his first season, Marlin Jackson contributed on Nickle and Dime packages (as did Hayden), while Dallas Clark was named to the All-Rookie team, and Reggie was probably the team's 3rd Wide Receiver in his Rookie year. If we where to take a 1st Round Receiver then I can't see him contributing, short of backup situations or where we go into an empty backfield, something we don't do reguarly.

Comment

I really, really like Decker. He is an absolute carbon copy of Anthony Gonzalez. He could really be worth a look but I probably, at this time, wouldn't look at him as a 1st Round pick. In my recent draft I had him going at the bottom of the 3rd. He won't blow up the Combine but he runs great routes, has brilliant hands etc so would make a really good Colt.
                      The Gonzalez comparison is dead-on: just like Gonzalez, Decker is a professional playing in the college game. An intelligent, hard-working, conditioned, and talented route runner with great hands. His speed probaby does fit somewhere between Gonzalez and Austin Collie, and he's not as shifty as Gonzo, but he's got better size as an outside receiver.

Excellent write-ups all around, Seamus.

DE is my primary concern right now. Thankfully the Colts have two studs in Freeney and Mathis, but after them it nosedives off a cliff imo.

Raheem Brock has a combined $11M cap charge for this year and next, very poor spending. The guy is not very effective and not a real factor. Keyunta Dawson is worse, he lets the opposing offense do whatever they want. We'll see how well Eric Foster transitions in the new defense that Larry Coyer is building.

I want to cut Dawson and Brock after this season, and draft at least two talented guys. If the Colts cut Brock next year they save $3.79M.

MLB is also a concern. I don't want to re-sign Brackett, and there doesn't look to be a candidate in house to replace him. Coyer is an excellent linebackers coach though so having his input and involvement is super.

(And I wonder if DJ Williams of the Broncos, who Coyer coached his first couple of years in the league, doesn't become an option. He didn't play well at MLB though.)

Comment

Agree

DE is my primary concern right now. Thankfully the Colts have two studs in Freeney and Mathis, but after them it nosedives off a cliff imo.
                        I couldn't agree with you more now. That is why I suggested Brandon Lang because of his defensive program and supposedly high football IQ. If he has a good year, he will creep up to the top of the 2nd or the end of the 1st, IMO.

Another guy I also like at the DE position is Jerry Hughes of TCU, he is a sack freak.

He was the nation's leading pass rusher last year with an eye-popping 17 sacks, 19.5 tackles for loss and six forced fumbles.
                        Last edited by chad72; 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I would like a draft along these lines

Round 1: Brandon Lang, DE, Troy / Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
                          Round 2: Nate Allen, FS, South Florida / Sean Lee, ILB, Penn State
                          Round 3: Jason Fox, OT, Miami / Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa

Comment

Jason Fox has caught my eye too, chad.

I think, right now, he's the guy I want for the Colts.

(Well ideally I'd like Russell Okung, but you know.)

Comment

As I've stated in the past, if I was to pick an Offensive Tackle I would probably go Selvish Capers in the 1st, but if we were to look at the later rounds, Gabe Carimi, the Offensive Tackle from Wisconsin. He's massive. He has the leg drive to push, but is still agile. He's 6' 8", 300 lbs and should increase that bulk in the pros but still retain his agility.

Comment

Running Back: The team are pretty well set at Running Back but could use some better depth if they don't feel Mike Hart will work out long term. Personally I would also like the idea of the team targeting a big short yardage back to help improve the 3rd/4th and short Run Game, which has been lacking in recent years.

Wide Receiver: The injury to Gonzalez showed the team could use a bit more depth at Receiver but I can't see the team using a high pick at the position as the new Receiver will probably not contribute much in the Offense. The only way I could see a highish pick at Reciever is if it was really good value and a player who can bring something extra as a Kick Returner.

H-Back: The team drafted Tom Santi a few years ago to help shore up this position after Ben Utecht left the team. They have used Gijon Robinson in the meantime. Robinson isn't brilliant and Santi is constantly injured so the team could use a late round selection to take a good Hybrid Tight End.

Offensive Tackle: The biggest concern for the team. We have three Offensive Tackles (Charlie Johnson, Ryan Diem and Tony Ugoh). None of them particuarly fill me with confidence. Left Tackle is a real need pick going into the 2010 NFL Draft with Charlie Johnson being both not good enough and also a Free Agent. They could also target a good Right Tackle if Ugoh doesn't transition well as Ryan Diem's play in the last couple of years has been poor at best. Diem could easily not be on the team next year if there is a salary cap.

Defensive End: The team are set on passing downs at this position but on run downs we normally sub in Raheem Brock. Brock isn't the youngest man in the world and is also being paid an extortionate amount of money. I could see the team targeting a good solid hybird Defensive End/Defensive Tackle (a player in the Justin Tuck mould) who can play Left End on run downs and kick inside on pass downs and then cut Raheem Brock. The team also need to improve depth at Defensive End so they could also look at a player towards to bottom end of the Draft.

Nose Tackle: The team have invested a lot in Defensive Tackle over the last year (two Draft picks, a number of waiver signs and the resigning of Ed Johnson) and so are relatively solid. The team have a lot of potential at Under Tackle in Fili Moala and could look to get a potentially elite young Nose Tackle if there is the value. If someone like Vince Oghobaase falls to them in the 2nd Round then the team could pull the trigger.

Middle Linebacker: The Colts two Middle Linebackers (Gary Brackett and Freddie Keiaho) are both Free Agents in the Offseason (and both not overly good). The team will resign one of them (or another Free Agent Linebacker) to play the backup role but will probably target a Linebacker very early on in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Cornerback: Last year the Colts gave Kelvin Hayden a new 5 year, $43 Million contract. This year Marlin Jackson, the player the Colts drafted a round earlier that Hayden, and are in negotiations with a year later's, contract is up. He will want a similar deal to Hayden. I think most people value Hayden as being better that Jackson but with it being a year later and Jackson being a former 1st Round pick, he will think he's worth as much as Hayden. The Colts could have difficulty reaching a deal here and so Cornerback becomes a very early need. The Colts also need to think about backup. I don't see them resigning Tim Jennings as he has firmly being taking over as the 3rd Cornerback by Jerraud Powers but the team could draft a new 4th CB in the Offseason if one presents good value.

Free Safety: Both Antoine Bethea and the principle backup Melvinn Bullitt's contracts are both up. Both were signed for basically minimum contracts and so will be looking a vast wage increase. Bethea looked so promising a couple of years ago but has never been able to step it up to the next level while Bullitt looks like a brilliant backup (especially as he can play both Safety positions) but will never be a brilliant starter Safety in the NFL. The team will not resign both these players so they will either have to look for better depth at Safety or a new starting Free Safety. With the talent in this Safety class I could see them having a go at finding a new starter in the 3rd or 4th round.

Strong Safety: If Melvin Bullitt goes then the Colts have to find sufficient backup to the oft injured Bob Sanders. If they can't find a Safety who can backup both positions adequately then they need to find two backup Safeties.

Place Kicker: Vinatieri's leg has been called into question but I can't see the team drafting a Kicker in the draft this year. I could see them brining in a Undrafted Rookie and having a real camp battle but I think they will allow Vinatieri to see out his contract.

Early Picks:

As I said in the write up there are a number of starters who will either leave the team or who could be upgraded. The positions are:

OT - Charlie Johnson
                                OT - Ryan Diem
                                DE - Raheem Brock
                                MLB - Gary Brackett
                                CB - Marlin Jackson
                                FS - Antoine Bethea

I can't see the team targeting a potential starter after the 3rd Round and so of those 6 positions, only 3 of them will be replaced. The team will have to decide who they resign, let leave and if they are willing to cut players. 4 of them have expiring contracts and so it means that at least 1 will have to be resigned in Free Agency.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information