Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
    Let's draft a new VP of Football Ops that doesn't kick the team in the balls right before the playoffs.

    This is a joke, I'm not saying fire Polian. He really does suck at managing the Colts in the post season though.
    Dude, stop.

    Polian is the best in the business.

    Comment


    • #47
      An owner like Jerry Jones would have helped in this situation

      I bet if it was an owner like Jerry Jones, he may have overriden the GM's decision and played the healthy starters the entire game. But what is done is done, we HAVE to move on, no two ways about it. BP is the best in the business and he hires coaches like Caldwell and Dungy who don't oppose him most of the time on decisions like these and that bugs me. It was Caldwell's decision when to pull the starters but not if he needed to pull the starters, he is just the fall guy here. But you take the good with the bad, and it could be worse, we could spend 10 years with the Cleveland Browns, come back and tell me how bad we have it here.:)

      The bottomline is, the management does not realize that worrying about injury and not playing healthy starters till the week before a bye week has not yielded the results consistently and every divisional round has given us a one-and-done when we had a bye week. The one year they had to play the last week, we went all the way. Until Polian realizes there is a small correlation, decisions like these will continue but they get magnified only if we are undefeated. It is sad to hope for our team to lose a game or two earlier in the season so that they play week 17 in full throttle. But I do agree that they are doing a few tweaks with their playing time for the starters. In 2005, they had 2 series in game 15 and 1 series in game 16 for the starting offense. We have already seen 3 quarters for the starting offense in game 15 and I expect 1 quarter of play for the starting offense in game 16. So, Caldwell has done a few things different from Dungy playing a balancing act between staying sharp and getting the players the rest they need.

      It is flat out too hard to simulate playoff intensity in practice, no one is out there in practice trying to hurt Peyton, so only meaningful game time even in meaningless games is the best way to stay sharp. The D however, less timing is involved and health is more paramount than anything else. As long as this tweak of Caldwell works and gets us to play sharp in the playoffs, I will be happy though I will still wonder. I can forgive but cannot forget quitting on a perfect season, that is just me.:(
      Last edited by chad72; 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        The starters played PLENTY to stay sharp and I hope they get about the same playing time next week.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by MaxV View Post
          Dude, stop.

          Polian is the best in the business.
          At this point this is old news, and as Manning asked I have moved on, but it'll all come back 10x as bad if the Colts don't do well in the playoffs. That said, I think they will.

          Back to the draft, a lot of mocks have Greg Hardy falling to us or out of the 1st around. There are obvious injury concerns so of course they need to be smart about that. But if physically he checks out enough that they could use him as a situational pass rusher and limit his PT, what a great player to get at the end of the 1st.

          I agree the OL needs work. I would like to get Jason Fox or Mike Iupati (I think he'll be there, Duke Robinson got the same hype last year as an OG and didn't go in the 1st) on this team. But I'd also like to get a third legit pass rusher.

          Comment


          • #50
            Situational Pass Rushers could be found later in the draft.

            But then again, as is usually the case, whoever is on top of Polian's board will be drafted, no matter of the position.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by MaxV View Post
              Situational Pass Rushers could be found later in the draft.

              But then again, as is usually the case, whoever is on top of Polian's board will be drafted, no matter of the position.
              I wouldn't necessarily want him to stay a situational pass rusher. But Freeney won't last forever. Whenever he gets hurt the defense takes a huge hit. It would be nice to have someone to replace Brock that can actually get after the QB.

              Comment


              • #52
                I kinda agree

                Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                I wouldn't necessarily want him to stay a situational pass rusher. But Freeney won't last forever. Whenever he gets hurt the defense takes a huge hit. It would be nice to have someone to replace Brock that can actually get after the QB.
                With the departure of Marcus Howard, gone are the tweener days of a one trick pony pass rusher. With Coyer's system, an emphasis will be on a DE that is bulky enough to contain the run at the end position and quick enough to rush the passer when not double teamed. Freeney is not a spring chicken at this point in his career to be played every down and Mathis will wear out over the course of the year if he plays most downs too.

                Did Greg Hardy declare? I thought he was going to return for the senior season. Another guy with upside is Greg Romeus of Pittsburgh.

                It almost seems like Polian reaches for an OL (Ugoh, Pollak etc.) and probably feels he can do with non-elite talent at the OL or DT position. AJ & Muir are from the Titans and Packers practice squads. Jeff Saturday - UDFA, Kyle Devan - UDFA, Ryan Lilja (free agency, I think).

                I give him credit for finding useful OLs later in the draft like Ryan Diem, Charlie Johnson and Jake Scott (the one who should not have gotten away). Unless a highly touted OG like Iupati drops to us, I doubt BP goes OL in round 1. Another guy I really like is Jon Asamoah of Illinois - 5.06 40 from a guy weighing 315 lbs, that is the kind of athlete I like.

                I still think BP goes pass rusher with his first pick but if we trade down, I can see him going for Jon Asamoah at the top of the 2nd or something like that. Another OT prospect I would love for Polian to look at is Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I have no idea why I am thinking this, and there is really no basis for it, but everytime I see Javier Arenas I want him as a Colt. Upgrade the return game, would be a good nickel back (or at least get Tim Jennings off the field), what do you guys think?

                  XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Yes, as a 2nd rounder

                    Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                    I have no idea why I am thinking this, and there is really no basis for it, but everytime I see Javier Arenas I want him as a Colt. Upgrade the return game, would be a good nickel back (or at least get Tim Jennings off the field), what do you guys think?
                    He is great value in the 2nd round, just not as a 1st rounder, IMO.

                    My mock, based on BP's tendencies, would go like this:

                    BP trades down to the top of the 2nd round and gets and extra 2nd & 4th in exchange for our 1st round pick.

                    Round 2 (early pick): Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh (assuming he declares) or Sergio Kindle, DE, Texas

                    Round 2 (late pick): Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

                    Round 3: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia

                    Round 4 (early pick) : Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State (PR/KR too)

                    Round 4 (late pick): Darryl Sharpton, ILB, Miami
                    Last edited by chad72; 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I was thinking Arenas in second, I should probably have made that clearer, if we don't trade down, I would be looking at something like

                      1. Iupati (we still need to fix the run game)
                      2. Arenas
                      3. Atkins

                      But that is because I have a mancrush on Arenas (no ****!).

                      XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I'm fairly certain Hardy is a senior. Also, he would only be situational while he learned to play in the NFL. He is bigger than either Mathis or Freeney and is similar in size to Brock. He's just faster and has actual pass rushing skills.

                        He has injury concerns, and apparently some character issues that may or may not have been blown out of proportion. All things that a good personnel guy and his staff should work through first.

                        I don't actually think Hardy will be available to us, but if he is I'd be fine with the Colts taking him.

                        I actually feel great about this draft because we don't have any positions of excruciating weakness (like we did last year with DT for so much of the year), and there is so much depth to the talent. We could get some really good players this year.

                        I don't care for the idea of drafting someone like Arenas. We have Hayden, Powers, Jackson, and Lacey. Jackson is not an unrestricted FA next year and has been hurt too much to worry about another team offering him much. So IMO CB should not be a high priority and should only be taken if that player is far and away the BPA.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          It's time to talk about the needs. Obviously, Free Agency will effect our needs, but for now I'll just base this on the current roster.

                          My list would be:

                          1. OG
                          It's interesting that arguably our 2 best rushing games were the last two games of the season. Our Line definitely saved their best effort for last. With that being said, I don't think that either Pollak or Devan are our long-term solutions at guard. I still think that this is our biggest weakness.

                          2. UT
                          First, let me just first say that Johnson, Muir and Foster have been very good finds for Polian. Johnson and Muir do a fine job of clogging up the middle and making the RBs have to make extra cuts and forcing them to go to the outside where our fast DBs and LBs can chase them down. Foster is a fine rotation player, who has a good motor and provides energy when he doesn't have to play a lot of snaps. With that being said, we generate virtually no pass-rush from the inside. This has been a problem for a while and it again manifested itself yesterday. Brees was able to step up in the pocket with ease.

                          3. OT
                          This one might come as a surprise to some, but in all honesty, I'm actually hoping that we can get a stud OT in the first round simply because this seems like the deepest position in the draft. I can live with Charlie Johnson. He isn't a franchise LT, but he is a capable player. He's one of those guys that gets the most out of his abilities. It would be great if Ugoh would develop, but that doesn't look likely.

                          4. DB
                          I'm sure that lots of Colts' fans will blame our SB loss on our secondary. Although they were FAR from great, I don't think it's fair to just lay the full blame on these guys. Colts' coaching staff decided to take the deep play away from the Saints and make them win it the patient way, which is exactly what they did. Our Corners were giving a big cushion the whole game, but that was by design. With that being said, we need more depth here, both at CB and Safety. It doesn't help that several of our starters will hit free agency soon and we'll probably have to make some tough decisions.

                          5. DE
                          I think the whole nation saw yesterday just how much a healthy Dwight Freeney means to our defense. He was going well in the first quarter, but then that ankle really started to bother him. You could tell it was a big problem for him. He had it taped and re-taped numerous times. Unless I'm mistaken, we had Dawson and Brock play at DE for a big part of the game. No disrespect to those guys, but we are in trouble when we have to rely on them. DE is arguably our most important position. That's the position that is counted on to make the majority of big plays, whether it's sacks, forced fumbles, tackles for loss or pressures that cause errant passes. We clearly need more depth here. I'm not saying that it's a must for us to find another Freeney or Mathis, but someone that can substitute them on occasion and play well could really help.




                          EDIT: I know that we have a separate thread for rosters/needs, but since we rely HEAVILY on the draft when it comes to addressing our needs, this is an appropriate thread for this imo.
                          Last edited by MaxV; 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            This is my mock

                            My reasoning: DEs and CBs are game changers, OTs and OGs are not, unless they are the elite kind, and that could be why Polian mostly goes for a DE or CB earlier, or a skill position player.

                            Round 1 first option: Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (too much reliance on bad backup depth on DL, where there is a lot of rotation, Keyunta Dawson should not sniff a SB DL lineup, can't settle for such situations since Freeney and Mathis have been banged up on and off the last 3 years). Brandon Graham had a great Senior Bowl but may be rising draft boards now and may not be available to us but you never know, he will be an instant backup and a starter in a few years from now.

                            Round 1 second option: Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers - Excellent zone coverage corner, capable of man coverage, good closing speed, good run support and tackling - I like all that I am reading about him. Here are a couple of interesting reads about him:

                            Interview: http://profootball.scout.com/2/941501.html

                            Analysis: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563691



                            Round 2 first option: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia

                            Round 2 second option: Tyson Alualu, DT, California

                            Both these DTs showed explosive burst off the snap in a gap penetrating scheme in the Senior Bowl, just the kind we need to push the pocket in the middle as a UT.


                            Round 3 first option: Roger Saffold, OT, Indiana (excellent project and prospect, very versatile, and should start in a year or two)

                            Round 3 second option: Brandon Carter, OG, Texas Tech (very good mauler at the point of contact, with good coaching, can easily get us going in the running game)


                            Round 4 first option: Darryl Sharpton, ILB, Miami (very athletic, plays better inside than outside in space)

                            Round 4 second option: A.J.Edds, OLB, Iowa (very good instincts, plays very well in coverage and space, compares to Ben Lieber of the Vikings)


                            Round 5: Kendrick Lewis, FS, Ole Miss (one of the sleepers of the draft, with Bethea's contract looming and Aaron francisco as his depth, I'd like better depth, we are set at strong safety with Bullitt backing up Sanders but if we lose Bethea, our ball hawking suffers big time and Kendrick Lewis is a good roaming safety)

                            That is as far as my mock goes.:)
                            Last edited by chad72; 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              That's pretty good. I love the Atkins and Saffold picks. I'm really high on both of those guys.

                              Edds is our kind of LB also. And of course Graham is our kind of DE.

                              I don't know much about the rest.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                                1. OG
                                It's interesting that arguably our 2 best rushing games were the last two games of the season. Our Line definitely saved their best effort for last. With that being said, I don't think that either Pollak or Devan are our long-term solutions at guard. I still think that this is our biggest weakness.
                                Lilja's return has been really big for the team and I really felt he should have been named to the Pro Bowl this year. He is the team's best run blocker by some distance (and probably second only to Saturday as a pass blocker). The problem with only focusing on Guard as the problems in our run game is letting Johnson, Saturday and Diem off the hook. I would say Charlie Johnson (while a decent pass blocker) is a major liability in run blocking (think Dallas Clark style liability in run blocking), while both Saturday and Diem don't have the pace to set the edge (and Saturday doesn't have the physicality to handle the bigger interior linemen). A lot of the problem with the O-Line isn't just in the players but in the scheme and mentality of the Offense. If we bring in better run blockers then we lose some of Manning's protection. Long term, the team need to target Left Tackle, Right Tackle, Center and Guard, starting probably with the two Tackles. I would stake a lot on saying that when it came to Run Blocking Kyle DeVan vastly outperformed Charlie Johnson.

                                Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                                2. UT
                                First, let me just first say that Johnson, Muir and Foster have been very good finds for Polian. Johnson and Muir do a fine job of clogging up the middle and making the RBs have to make extra cuts and forcing them to go to the outside where our fast DBs and LBs can chase them down. Foster is a fine rotation player, who has a good motor and provides energy when he doesn't have to play a lot of snaps. With that being said, we generate virtually no pass-rush from the inside. This has been a problem for a while and it again manifested itself yesterday. Brees was able to step up in the pocket with ease.
                                I can't see it. If the team take a DT it will be to play Nose as both Mookie and Dan Muir's contracts are both up at the end of the year. We got good play out of Foster this year but there was a noticable drop off in Raheem Brock's play this year (in both stopping the run and rushing the passer) while Moala did very little this year. That being said the team have Foster and Brock to rotate (possibly even Dawson) and will hope for Moala to contribute more next season. I can't see them investing another high pick just because Moala had a bad rookie campaign.

                                Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                                3. OT
                                This one might come as a surprise to some, but in all honesty, I'm actually hoping that we can get a stud OT in the first round simply because this seems like the deepest position in the draft. I can live with Charlie Johnson. He isn't a franchise LT, but he is a capable player. He's one of those guys that gets the most out of his abilities. It would be great if Ugoh would develop, but that doesn't look likely.
                                As I said above I think Johnson has been decent. He hasn't been brilliant, he has simply been an improvment (in the passing game at least) on Tony Ugoh. We need a Franchise LT, especially as Manning enters the twilight of his career and for a post-Manning era. The fact of the matter is that Johnson is a liability in run blocking, and gave up the most sacks, the most hits and the most pressures in the team this year.

                                Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                                4. DB
                                I'm sure that lots of Colts' fans will blame our SB loss on our secondary. Although they were FAR from great, I don't think it's fair to just lay the full blame on these guys. Colts' coaching staff decided to take the deep play away from the Saints and make them win it the patient way, which is exactly what they did. Our Corners were giving a big cushion the whole game, but that was by design. With that being said, we need more depth here, both at CB and Safety. It doesn't help that several of our starters will hit free agency soon and we'll probably have to make some tough decisions.[/QUOTE]

                                With Bethea, Bullitt, Jackson and Jennings all hitting Free Agency this offseason I can see the DBs being addressed in the draft. We will take Safety early on if we don't resign Bethea, who's play this season may have priced him out of what the team were willing to play (he has been to two Pro Bowls in three years), which is either a good measure of Bethea's play or an indictment on the Pro Bowl. We have our starting Corners in Hayden and Powers and our Nickle in Lacey. But both Hayden and Powers were hurt at times this year and so I could see us adding another Corner in the draft (and possibly another through UDFA). We will replace Safeties if we lose them.

                                Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                                5. DE
                                I think the whole nation saw yesterday just how much a healthy Dwight Freeney means to our defense. He was going well in the first quarter, but then that ankle really started to bother him. You could tell it was a big problem for him. He had it taped and re-taped numerous times. Unless I'm mistaken, we had Dawson and Brock play at DE for a big part of the game. No disrespect to those guys, but we are in trouble when we have to rely on them. DE is arguably our most important position. That's the position that is counted on to make the majority of big plays, whether it's sacks, forced fumbles, tackles for loss or pressures that cause errant passes. We clearly need more depth here. I'm not saying that it's a must for us to find another Freeney or Mathis, but someone that can substitute them on occasion and play well could really help.
                                The Tampa 2 is based around 4 positions and the Colts, after Freeney went down, possibly had 1 (and that is arguably as I think Clint Session is a brilliant player but no one is going to mistake him for Derrick Brooks) and arguably didn't have any of them. We need better Defensive End depth but I can't see us addressing it early on as it is massively a luxury pick. Maybe a look at the likes of Jermaine Cunningham from Florida in the later rounds would be a better choice.
                                Originally posted by George Carlin

                                In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

                                In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information