No announcement yet.

2010 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just sign/trade for Gaither? At 24, he's almost as young as the rookies, and he has 2 years of starting experience where he's proven to be a very good NFL OT. Surely he's better than any risk the team can take at the 31st pick.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
      Why not just sign/trade for Gaither? At 24, he's almost as young as the rookies, and he has 2 years of starting experience where he's proven to be a very good NFL OT. Surely he's better than any risk the team can take at the 31st pick.
      Last year the top Offensive Tackle Free Agent got a 6 year, $60M Contract, with $35M guaranteed. Gaither is better than Jordan Gross, he gets the usual one year markup in prices, and he's got 4 years on him. So we get a player for the 31st pick overall, we get a proven starter, and we pay him the sort of money you give to the 1st Overall pick. Why won't the Colts go for Gaither? Because it will cost them, basically, about $9M a year more.
      Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
        Last year the top Offensive Tackle Free Agent got a 6 year, $60M Contract, with $35M guaranteed. Gaither is better than Jordan Gross, he gets the usual one year markup in prices, and he's got 4 years on him. So we get a player for the 31st pick overall, we get a proven starter, and we pay him the sort of money you give to the 1st Overall pick. Why won't the Colts go for Gaither? Because it will cost them, basically, about $9M a year more.
        In a capless year where you can frontload the deal (especially with guarantees), and you lock up your LT position for the next 10+ years with a player who, if he were in this class knowing what we know right now, would be at least the 2nd highest rated OT. The upside on making a move like this easily outweighs the downside.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
          A proven blindside protector, IMO, is worth it. If we had had the line we had in 06 these past 3 seasons we'd have at least 1 more SB IMO. For such a smart front office I don't understand why they stupidly go after dollar store talent for the group charged with protecting Manning.

Comment

Perfect draft to trade down

To me, with the talent in this draft, we could get good talent with so many underclassmen declaring well into round 3 or 4.

Hence, the Patriots acquiring of 2nd round picks seems so smart for this draft, yikes, 4 picks in the first 53 picks.

Having said that, I would love for Polian to trade down in this draft and acquire an extra 2nd and 4th round pick (top 10) for pick No.31. This way, our lack of a 6th round pick wouldn't be that much of an issue. I am sure, with the way Hunter Smith played for the Redskins, we could get a possible 5th round compensatory pick too. That is the best I am expecting right now.

We could get one of several - Vladimir Ducasse, Roger Saffold, Jared Veldheer, Jon Jerry etc. in the second round, and possibly Ducasse or Saffold at the top of round 2, if we traded down to it. I feel we should go that route given the depth in this draft.

Comment

Four questions arise from that though:

1) Who is going to be left on the board that some other team will want to trade up for? If it's a bad spot, no one is going to do the Colts any favors.
              2) Who would the Colts be looking to trade down for and do they feel he'd be available at the slot they trade down to?
              3) What players would the Colts want to stay put for and simply draft them? I'm sure if, say by some miracle, Brandon Graham or Taylor Mays is sitting there waiting to be drafted, the Colts stay put.
              4) Is gaining the extra draft pick worth losing the year of contract time they get at the end of round 1? A low 1st round pick gets a 5 year deal, a high 2nd round pick gets a 4 year deal.

Comment

My answers

Four questions arise from that though:

1) Who is going to be left on the board that some other team will want to trade up for? If it's a bad spot, no one is going to do the Colts any favors.
                Ans: Jermaine Gresham or Golden Tate?? If either of those two drop to No.31, I think it may be prudent for the Colts to look for trading partners

2) Who would the Colts be looking to trade down for and do they feel he'd be available at the slot they trade down to?
                Ans: Roger Saffold, I know has interviewed with the Colts, just like several other teams. If the Colts feel he would be there at 39 or 40 but can get an extra pick, why not?

3) What players would the Colts want to stay put for and simply draft them?
                Ans: Brandon Graham, obviously. Kyle Wilson, obviously. Bruce Campbell too.

4) Is gaining the extra draft pick worth losing the year of contract time they get at the end of round 1?
                Ans: If the intent is to put him in the lineup right away (OT, CB, DE - chances are high of that happening), then yes, it is worth it.
                These are my answers above

Comment

Why Kyle Wilson? Is dimeback a huge need? Graham and Campbell are no brainers, but the Colts are set at CB with Hayden and Powers as starters, and Lacey as the nickel who can spot start effectively. Granted, depth is a need, but you don't draft depth in round 1.

Comment

A couple of things

Why Kyle Wilson? Is dimeback a huge need? Graham and Campbell are no brainers, but the Colts are set at CB with Hayden and Powers as starters, and Lacey as the nickel who can spot start effectively. Granted, depth is a need, but you don't draft depth in round 1.
                    1. The premise that drafting for nickel alone warrants only a later round pick is not always true with the Colts. To me, Hayden and Powers (granted Powers has been around only 1 year) have also augmented the CB injury history that the Colts have shown year in and year out. So, our nickel CB is one injury away to Hayden and Powers from starting and playing outside, which in all likelihood will happen, no doubts about it in my mind.
                    2. My contention is that Lacey is not as good as people think he is. He made very few plays in the SB when Hayden and Powers' playing time became limited, along with Jennings. He does get beat enough times on fakes (Braylon Edwards TD in Jets AFCCG) and slants (Kenny Britt TD) and other cases too, IMO, he is no way as physical as Marlin Jackson in the nickel or Jerraud Powers outside, his best role is a dimeback.
                    3. Plus, lightning does not strike twice that we can get another Jerraud Powers in round 3 and hope it pans out. I am not a big fan of Arenas' as a CB who a lot of Colts fans are touting as a good nickel prospect in later rounds, he would be another 5'8" CB for me, a Tim Jennings that can return punts, and that would be it for me.
                    4. Having lost 3 out of 6 CBs (Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, and T.J.Rushing), drafting 2 CBs is almost a certainty with UDFAs being brought in for competition. The CB depth in this draft is not so good that I feel day 2 picks would be enough for us to get at least 1 quality one. I also believe that both Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, with their special teams experience at returners, bring physical CB play and starter capability to even replace Lacey at the nickelback position and are both capable of playing outside as well.
                    Last edited by chad72; 03-15-2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                      1. The premise that drafting for nickel alone warrants only a later round pick is not always true with the Colts. To me, Hayden and Powers (granted Powers has been around only 1 year) have also augmented the CB injury history that the Colts have shown year in and year out. So, our nickel CB is one injury away to Hayden and Powers from starting and playing outside, which in all likelihood will happen, no doubts about it in my mind.
                      2. My contention is that Lacey is not as good as people think he is. He made very few plays in the SB when Hayden and Powers' playing time became limited, along with Jennings. He does get beat enough times on fakes (Braylon Edwards TD in Jets AFCCG) and slants (Kenny Britt TD) and other cases too, IMO, he is no way as physical as Marlin Jackson in the nickel or Jerraud Powers outside, his best role is a dimeback.
                      3. Plus, lightning does not strike twice that we can get another Jerraud Powers in round 3 and hope it pans out. I am not a big fan of Arenas' as a CB who a lot of Colts fans are touting as a good nickel prospect in later rounds, he would be another 5'8" CB for me, a Tim Jennings that can return punts, and that would be it for me.
                      4. Having lost 3 out of 6 CBs (Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, and T.J.Rushing), drafting 2 CBs is almost a certainty with UDFAs being brought in for competition. The CB depth in this draft is not so good that I feel day 2 picks would be enough for us to get at least 1 quality one. I also believe that both Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, with their special teams experience at returners, bring physical CB play and starter capability to even replace Lacey at the nickelback position and are both capable of playing outside as well.
                      1. You can't draft on the basis of "what if an injury occurs" unless you're going to completely count that player out of your plans. Something tells me that Hayden and Powers are a BIG part of the plan at CB for the near future, so either way, if you assume they're going to be injured, you've allocated your resources poorly. I know BPA is a factor, but you can't just completely ignore need in the valuation of BPA, and nickelback never has been, is not, and never will be a first round need, and no CB the Colts draft will have a chance to draft will supplant either starter.
                      2. Even if Lacey isn't as good as people think (which I think you're actually being pretty harsh on a UDFA rookie there, he still has his best football ahead IMO), he's slated at nickelback as of now. Yes, he's an injury away from starting at this point, but that goes back to my first point and the fact that he's probably going to get better.
                      3. Javier Arenas isn't the only other CB available in this draft aside from the ones in round 1. Grabbing CBs late for depth is not a bad idea. Taking a CB early with the intention of him having a big role early on is, since the top 3 CBs from last season at a minimum will be returning to the roster.
                      4. T.J. Rushing is still a Colt to my knowledge, and (as much as it pains me to say this) Tim Jennings can and probably will be resigned. Does that mean that CB shouldn't be addressed at all in this draft? No, but IMO there's no real point in drafting one before Day 3 for the simple fact that they're at best going to be a dimeback for the upcoming season with possible promotion via injury. This team won a Super Bowl with a 4th round pick and a UDFA starting at CB though, so it's not like it's impossible for them to have success at the position with guys that other teams don't value as much.

Comment

• He was not tendered

T.J. Rushing is still a Colt to my knowledge, and (as much as it pains me to say this) Tim Jennings can and probably will be resigned. Does that mean that CB shouldn't be addressed at all in this draft? No, but IMO there's no real point in drafting one before Day 3 for the simple fact that they're at best going to be a dimeback for the upcoming season with possible promotion via injury. This team won a Super Bowl with a 4th round pick and a UDFA starting at CB though, so it's not like it's impossible for them to have success at the position with guys that other teams don't value as much.
                        No, my intention is not to diss Lacey. Both Lacey and Powers are not good tacklers, when compared to Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson, who were our best tacklers. In fact, Tim Jennings tackles better than Lacey and Powers, but he just can't cover.:) My concern is that we lost a physical presence in the nickelback position with the loss of Marlin Jackson though Lacey covers better than Marlin Jackson at times, the physical aspect that would be hard to reproduce unless we draft another physical CB.

With Coyer's sytem not playing your vanilla Cover 2 as much as before, an emphasis on our CBs' versatility could be greater, with a capability to hold their own in man coverage if a blitz happens, Hayden and Powers can, but Lacey is more suited to zone. I sometimes hope we can get all our 3 safeties on the field at the same time playing a 4-2-5 formation sometimes with 3 safeties - Bethea, Bullitt and Sanders since our safeties are as fast as our CBs and they can all be playmakers. It is a nickel of a different kind and is not uncommon and they are better tacklers than our CB thus allowing us to defend the run too since Sanders plays like an LB a lot of times anyway.

T.J.Rushing, along with Tim Jennings and Aaron Francisco, was not tendered. He is not on this roster on the colts.com page:

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=roster

My biggest concern has been the play of Kelvin Hayden, which has been less than stellar after getting his big contract. If he has another season like last year, God help us!!! I can see Tim Jennings' value with special teams since he is a good tackler and has speed but nothing more than a 4th string CB, I just hope he never sees the field as a CB for us.
                        Last edited by chad72; 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Colts draft interest

List of players the Colts have talked to or shown interest in / Pro days Attended

Comment

• Jerry Hughes.

Not the position that I wanted, but this guy is good.

I want Freeney, Mathis and Hughes on the field at the same time.

Comment

• How would you guys feel about Campbell in the 2nd round?

Comment

• Jerry Hughes - DE - TCU Horned Frogs - Senior

Jerry Hughes
                                Defensive End/Outside Linebacker
                                Texas Christian University
                                Senior
                                Height - 6'1"¾
                                Weight - 255lbs

Run Defense: Hughes is obviously a massively undersized defensive end and as such his ability to play the run will be a worry. He is promising when he is being blocked by the likes of a Tight End or the Full Back but doesn't have the size to play against Tackles and Guards in the run game. If he can disengage his block he is a solid tackler, wraps up the ball carrier well and can close down even the quickest of backs (which is a good thing when you play both Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones Drew twice every year).

Pass Rush: Hughes engages in a relentless pursuit of the Quarterback on passing downs, and did well at college level against double and triple blocks. He always tries to get his hand to ball when sacking the Quarterback, causing a lot of fumbles (Hughes forced 8 fumbles in his 27 starts at TCU). He is a bit of a one trick pony though in his pass rushing and will need to acquire some new pass rushing moves.

Pass Defense: At TCU Hughes was asked to drop into zone coverage at times (had 4 passes defense, 3 Interceptions and a touchdown). He doesn't have the greatest coverage skill but could cover Tight Ends and Running Backs pretty well if asked.

Others: One of the things that massively stands out about Hughes is his work ethic. He benched 26 reps of the 225lbs at the Combine showing that he spent a fair amount of time in the weight room and was always willing do participate on special teams.

Overall: I like the Hughes pick. He fills a need at backup defensive end and will help keep both Freeney and Mathis healthy by spelling for them during games. He gives the team more leverage with Robert Mathis’ contract up after this year. The key thing about Hughes is that there will be multiple opportunities to get him on the field early. He can play Defensive End, he can play Outside Linebacker, he could probably, giving his quickness and elusiveness, kick inside a play Joker on pass downs as well as the fact that he can and will play on Special Teams. It ticks the three main boxes in my point of view in that he is good value, at a position of need and he can be used straight away.

Grade: A
                                Last edited by Seamus2602; 04-24-2010, 04:49 PM.
                                Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information