X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dam8610
    started a topic 2010 Draft Thread

2010 Draft Thread

With the 2010 draft only 10 months away, what better time than now to start looking ahead to what the Colts might need? I think the Colts addressed their needs well in this past draft, and the depth chart looks pretty solid as of now IMO, but there are some positions that could be an issue for the 2010 season. Assuming the CBA gets taken care of (which I think it will, as neither side wants the penalties that kick in for 2010 if they don't take care of it), here's how I see the needs shaking out as of now:

1) S - With a former DPOY, a former Pro Bowler, and a backup who has quite a bit of starting experience and made a few big plays for the team last year, how does this rank as the team's top need? Well, apart from Sanders, the only safety the Colts have under contract beyond 2009 is Jaime Silva. Bethea will be a UFA, and while Bullitt will be a RFA, he'll be a UFA in 2011, and I'm not so sure about his ability to replace Bethea, especially since Bethea will be allowed to play the role he's best at this year (last line of defense/deep enforcer). If Bethea is allowed to walk, which I think he will be, this likely becomes the team's top priority. If he's resigned, this drops completely off the need board.

2) LB - I thought about making this MLB, since Gary Brackett will be a UFA after this season and I doubt the team will retain him, but Wheeler has experience at MLB in college. That said, if Wheeler is slid inside, then the Colts will need a new starting SLB, which means that the team has flexibility and options in addressing this need. I do think that the team will try to find a MLB to replace Brackett rather than slide Wheeler inside, but if a great SLB talent is available to the team, moving Wheeler inside would be an option.

3) OG - This is the wildcard position of the group, depending on injuries and development, this could be the team's top need for 2010 or not a need at all. Given that Lilja is on track to be ready for camp as of now, Pollak should get his first camp, and all 3 guards who were drafted last year got valuable PT, I'm leaning toward the latter, but if everything goes wrong, and it could, this could become a huge need.

4) CB - With Marlin Jackson hitting free agency and the CBs behind him on the depth chart not showing much progress to this point, this could be a very big need for the team in 2010. Then again, if some of the young CBs on the team develop, this could become a secondary need.

That's all I can think of for now. That said, with the way this upcoming class looks, if the team selected a DL, I wouldn't be too upset. Also, Jermaine Gresham IMO would be an upgrade over and 3rd WR/2nd TE the team currently has. Thoughts?

• MaxV
    replied
    Only one Big 10 guy.

That's not how Polian usually operates.

Leave a comment:

• TitanHope
    replied
    Here's the rest of the Draft so far:

Originally posted by TitanHope View Post
    With the 122nd Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Chris Culliver, S, South Carolina!!!

With the 154th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Neiko Thorpe, CB, Auburn!!!

With the 186th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Sean Spence, OLB, Miami (FL)!!!

I have 1 pick left. Culliver is more of a FS/CB tweener, but he was the best safety available. Plus, he's a KR. Thorpe is a big, lanky CB at 6'1, 190+, so he should fit ya'lls zone coverage. Spence is a perfect Cover 2 WLB. So what to do with the last pick? Should go go for more of a SS, since Sanders has injury issues and Culliver isn't an in-the-box type of safety? Reinforce the OL? Maybe get a pass catcher or a backup QB (there are some quality QB's left)? What do ya'll think?

Leave a comment:

• MaxV
    replied
    With all the Centers we have drafted, the Center of the Future could very well be the guy who we signed as UFA, Kyle Devan.

Leave a comment:

• TitanHope
    replied
    Thanks for the input Dam!

And yes, Dareus is a 3-Tech in a 4-3. He plays 5-Tech on Bama's 3-4 DEF, and he's about 6'3, 280+ lbs. He's strong as an ox though, and a jumbo athlete. He's in the Top 10 of a lot of draftniks' boards, like Kiper, McShay, and Scott Wright's. He was an epic steal.

Yeah, I knew ya'll drafted a bunch of C's not too long ago, but have they done enough to solidify their spot as the future starters? I thought ya'll being so light on OL with those guys was a reason for ya'lls struggles in the run-game, and why Polian said he wanted to get bigger on the OL (or at least that's what I remember. Could totally be wrong though!). As a Vols fan, I don't see McClendon at Center. I think he's a pure OG. Either way, Moffitt has played Guard and Center, so he can project to either spot. Plus, he was the last of the upper tier inner OL prospects, and I wanted to add a solid player to that group. I bet he could even play RT, kind've like Max Unger out of Oregon a few years back. Either way, he can start anywhere 'sides LT and be insurance if Jamie Richard doesn't work out! It may not be that big of a need though, but ya'll are the Colts! Ya'll can afford it! :D

Ok, so I think I'll go S next, like ya suggested, and then OLB, cause I have a few guys at OLB I have an eye on and really one guy at S I like. I'll let ya'll know how things work out! Thanks again!
    Last edited by TitanHope; 05-27-2010, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dam8610
    replied
    Heya guys. I'm controlling Indy in a full 2011 Forum Mock, and I just made the 3rd RD pick. I'm needin' some feedback on what I've done so far, and maybe what I need to do in the future.

Dareus was strictly BPA. He fell all the way down to the 26th pick, and was far and away the best player available. I was torn between him or OT Castonzo, but Dareus was too much to pass up.

Potter was my best available OT. He's a bit on the light side (295), but he's 6'6 so he can fill out. LT of the future.

I think Moffitt was a good value in the 3rd, and I drafted him more to be Saturday's eventual replacement. But, the guy is pretty stout (6'5, 320), so he could line up at LG, C, or RG and do well. Not the typical lightweight Centers ya'll have drafted recently, and I think Polian mentioned him wanting to get bigger on the OL - Moffitt would do that.

So, what next? I'm thinking about an OLB, but I know ya'll just invested a 2nd RD'er in Angerer. Although if the guy I'm targeting falls to the 4th, he'll be too good of value to pass up. Maybe a DB?
    I don't hate it provided the DT is a 3-tech type, but honestly I think you missed on the C unless your theory is that they'll move him to G. The Colts drafted 3 Cs in 08, and it seems as though they like Richard to take over that spot when Saturday retires at this point (after all, they've made him exclusively a backup C), plus they just drafted McClendon this year, who some scouts think could convert to C. As for targeting a OLB there, not a bad idea, Angerer's only real role on this team is to eventually replace Brackett, can't see him doing well at anything else. DB isn't a bad idea either, and I might have tried to grab a S a tad earlier than you have here.

Leave a comment:

• TitanHope
    replied
    Heya guys. I'm controlling Indy in a full 2011 Forum Mock, and I just made the 3rd RD pick. I'm needin' some feedback on what I've done so far, and maybe what I need to do in the future.

With the 26th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama!!!

Dareus was strictly BPA. He fell all the way down to the 26th pick, and was far and away the best player available. I was torn between him or OT Castonzo, but Dareus was too much to pass up.

With the 58th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Nate Potter, LT, Boise St.!!!

Potter was my best available OT. He's a bit on the light side (295), but he's 6'6 so he can fill out. LT of the future.

With the 90th Overall Pick, the Indianapolis Colts select...

John Moffitt, C, Wisconsin!!!

I think Moffitt was a good value in the 3rd, and I drafted him more to be Saturday's eventual replacement. But, the guy is pretty stout (6'5, 320), so he could line up at LG, C, or RG and do well. Not the typical lightweight Centers ya'll have drafted recently, and I think Polian mentioned him wanting to get bigger on the OL - Moffitt would do that.

So, what next? I'm thinking about an OLB, but I know ya'll just invested a 2nd RD'er in Angerer. Although if the guy I'm targeting falls to the 4th, he'll be too good of value to pass up. Maybe a DB?

Leave a comment:

• chad72
    replied
    Pure depth draft:

The only starters out of this draft for now would be Jerry Hughes and McClendon a close second. Pat Angerer almost seemed like a "I had not planned for Brackett's replacement early enough till I shelled out this big contract for him, so better late than never" pick, IMO.

You will see a lot of Gary Brackett in him - if DT play is not good, he won't make many plays, he will get juked by QBs like Vince Young, will miss tackles on bigger RBs etc., Angerer will be a project that may contribute heavily only after maybe 2 years down the road. Kevin Thomas is on IR. McClendon has all the physical tools - once he gets the playbook down, I feel he has a good ceiling.

Brody Eldridge will open our offense for our RBs - short yardage blocking plus pass blocking that might free our RBs to catch passes. Plus, as little as he caught passes at Oklahoma, 8 out of his 13 catches in 4 years went for a first down. I think we have a QB who will find him for a critical first down, don't you?:)

Brock is not going to have 1 guy playing his role - it will be a combination of Eric Foster, Mitch King and Ricardo Mathews that will rotate. Our defensive rotation and pass rush, I expect it to be much better this year. This could hide some blemishes in our secondary, IMO.

This whole draft and UDFA class to me had a special teams feel to it (Pat Angerer, Kavell Conner, Ray Fisher, and even Jerry Hughes (like Mathis in his early days) could play special teams). 2 SBs where our "not so special" teams made their mark (Devin Hester opening kickoff TD, botched FG attempts by AV & Stover, botched onside kick recovery plus consistent bad field position in the returning game, magnified by 2nd Saints MVP, IMO - Garrett Hartley making all 3 FGs from 40+). Not to mention all the ST gaffes we Colts fans have had to endure for years in the regular season as well.
    Last edited by chad72; 05-14-2010, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Sanders Dreadlock
    replied
    Why have we not gone after Ciron black yet? Wish we would have taken Selvish Capers in the 6th put him at guard. Mclendon pick is a complete flop. The raiders outdrafted us

Leave a comment:

• MaxV
    replied
    Originally posted by UKfan View Post
    Adam_Schefter
    Colts third-round pick, DB Kevin Thomas, sustained a knee injury during last week’s rookie camp that could cause him to miss this season.
    Damnit. The one guy out of this draft, other then Hughes, that I was excited about.

Figures.

Leave a comment:

• UKfan
    replied
    Adam_Schefter
    Colts third-round pick, DB Kevin Thomas, sustained a knee injury during last week’s rookie camp that could cause him to miss this season.

Leave a comment:

• MaxV
    replied
    I don't know.

Keep in mind that College teams get their players out of HS and with a big roster they can afford to let a player just get bigger.

It's much more difficult to go through that process in the NFL. If you are on the roster, you need to contribute.

Not to mention that it really depend on the person. Some have easier time gaining weight then others.

I doubt that Colts drafted him to convert him to OT.

Leave a comment:

• falloutboy14
    replied
    Originally posted by UKfan View Post
    Exactly, I dont mind the player so much, but with Charles Brown sitting there at round 2, that seems an absolute no brainer to me...
    I think the reason that Polian didn't want to draft Brown was that compared to most LTs he has a significant weakness in run-blocking. For a team that's trying to improve this trait, this pick could go against the goal they're trying to achieve.

That said, it's a valid argument that, there are 5 spots on the O-line, and we can run behind 4 of them. Let's use one to make sure we pass-block well.

I had a random thought after reading about Eldridge. Oftentimes as I read about the top LTs in the draft, they're sometimes tight ends that are converted to OTs, since they tend to have above average agility for their size. That said, how much of a leap is it to make Eldridge a long-term LT prospect?

Eldridge is the best or near best blocker at an elite college program, he's 6-5 260, and he's played most of the positions along that O-line, which would lead me to think he's a quick learner, and willing to work extra to fill the needs of the team.

Maybe he'd need 2 years to gain 20-30 pounds & work on his technique. But this is Charlie's contract year, so Polian's got to decide what to do with him. It's a somewhat common practice for college programs, what's to stop the Colts from doing it?
    Last edited by falloutboy14; 04-26-2010, 12:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dam8610
    replied
    Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
    Yes and Michael Strahan dropped to the 40th pick overall, and Jason Taylor dropped to the 73rd pick overall. Probably because people were worried about 255lbs defensive linemen. They proved them wrong. I hope to all things good and holy in this world that Hughes proves me wrong and shows that he is a stout run defender too. But most people his size aren't.
    Everyone in the Colts front office for the past 12 or so years has also made their living off of capitalizing on the "undersized" label, so you should know that that's not a concern for them. Also, given the fact that Hughes is about 6'2", he's about proportionately equivalent to a 6'6" 270 DE. Don't discount that low COG either, when you're playing on the line, low man wins, and guys like Thomas, Gaither, McNeill, etc. are going to have difficulty being low man against Hughes, just like they've had that same difficulty against Freeney and Mathis for years now.

Leave a comment:

• MaxV
    replied
    Thomas and McClendon sound like talented projects.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information