The Official 2010 Colts Preseason Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official 2010 Colts Preseason Thread

We should all be pumped. Summer is reaching its midpoint and football is not too far away with Training Camps opening up. Let's get some buzz going on in here.

Questions.

1)-Besides Hughes, which rookie are you expecting to make the biggest impact?

2)-What type of impact will Anthony Gonzalez make this season...if ever as a Colt?

3)-Pick one guy who you think could come out of nowhere (or relative obscurity) and be a decent backup/starter/etc.
    Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

1) Angerer is the easiest pick so i'll roll with it. Another i hope is Brody Eldridge is his blocking skills are as good as they say
    2) With Collie and Garcon no need to rush him. I'd say 500 yards with 3 TD's
    3) Even with a deep wide receiver core i hope Blair White can have some impact.
    Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by Philliez01 View Post
      Eldridge. He won't put up huge stats but will allow the Colts to return to the two Tight End sets that we ran so well in the past. Look at the Superbowl season and look how many big plays the likes of Dan Klecko, Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher had. Eldridge will be like that. He will be a great blocker (including maybe some from the Full Back position) but will also catch 10-15 important First Down or Touchdown passes this season.

2)-What type of impact will Anthony Gonzalez make this season...if ever as a Colt?
      It depends on his fitness and how he compares to the other guys. The problem is that Austin Collie had a statistically far superior Rookie season than what Gonzo did. In fact Collie was better last season in Receptions, Yards and Touchdowns than Gonzalez was in his second year. Garcon was better in all but catches this year than Gonzo was last year. But Gonzo's talent is obvious. It depends on Training Camp. Gonzo could start this season. He could also be the 4th Receiver on the depth chart and play sparingly.

3)-Pick one guy who you think could come out of nowhere (or relative obscurity) and be a decent backup/starter/etc.
      Don't rule out the likes of Mitch King or Ricardo Mathews from generating good interior rushes.
      Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
        2) With Collie and Garcon no need to rush him. I'd say 500 yards with 3 TD's
        See I don't know if there will be enough plays for that. Last season the Wide Receivers took 3,260 snaps between them, out of 1,254 Offensive snaps. Thats an average of around 2.6 WRs a snap. With the return of the two TE set it will reduce that further. Remember for every snap that Eldridge takes Collie or Gonzo won't take one. Last season we played the two TE set around 35% of the time. I could see that going up to 40-50% of the snaps. At 50% it reduces the number of WR plays by around 200. So it would now mean that there are 3,000 Wide Receiver snaps. Based on past performance Gonzo would need 400-500 snaps to reach those targets. Baskett gone frees up 100 snaps which means that you would need to reduce Wayne, Collie and Garcon's snaps by 500-600 snaps.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Comment

I'll go with Brandon James as a Kick Returner. I think James should win that spot and could be a good one.

He'll see the field. I know that Collie and Garcon deserve playing time, but I doubt that they'll bury Gonzo on the depth chart.

I don't expect great numbers from him (too many weapons), but as long as he contributes whenever he is out there, I'll be happy.

How about Tony Ugoh as a guard?

Overall, I view O-Line and interior D-Line as our biggest weaknesses. So hopefully, they'll be players that step up and make contributions there.

Comment

Also, Brett Swenson might make an impact this season, if Adam V. can't go.

Comment

I'm going with Eldridge. If they use Eldridge the right way Addai could have 1500 yards from scrimmage this year.

I don't think it will be much impact at all, honestly. I don't trust his body to hold up. Maybe that is pessimistic but I am fine with him as the best WR4 in the league.

I was a huge Mitch King fan in the 09 draft so he's my pick.

Comment

I hope King and Mathews can give us pass-rush out of the middle.

Here's one of my questions:

What are your predictions for the starting O-Line in 2010?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                  What are your predictions for the starting O-Line in 2010?
                  A lot of people are predicting a similar OL to last year. Saturday, Diem, and CJ in their same spots as last year, with Devann and Pollack probably starting at guard. I don't think so. I will boldly predict that Saturday and Devann are the only starters to return to their same positions this season.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                    A lot of people are predicting a similar OL to last year. Saturday, Diem, and CJ in their same spots as last year, with Devann and Pollack probably starting at guard. I don't think so. I will boldly predict that Saturday and Devann are the only starters to return to their same positions this season.
                    Well, that is a bold statement. It is a gamble to install new starters at both OT spots.

No more Diem and CJ as starters?

Who do you think will start at the remaining spots?

Comment

Personally I don't see Charlie Johnson losing his spot. We need to bring in a new Left Guard this season with Lilja out so I don't think that Caldwell, Christensen or Metzelaars will want to completely revamp the left hand side of the line. I think that Charlie Johnson is safe, Jeff Saturday is safe and the only way that Ryan Diem doesn't start is if Adam Terry beats him out of it.

Left Tackle: Charlie Johnson
                      Left Guard:
                      Center: Jeff Saturday
                      Right Guard:
                      Right Tackle: Ryan Diem/Adam Terry

The remaining players are:

Jacques McClendon
                      Jamey Richard
                      Tony Ugoh
                      Andy Alleman
                      Jaimie Thomas
                      Kyle DeVan
                      Mike Pollak

From those 7 players they need to get the two starters and it could be, in all reality, any of the 7. They will add a swing Tackle (I'm thinking Ugoh if he doesn't win a Guard spot but possibly Cadogan), the loser between Diem and Terry, and then two backup interior line positions. So those 7 players are battling out for potentially 4 or 5 spots. Any of the 7 could possibly start but 2 or 3 will probably be cut.

I'm thinking it will be McClendon and Pollak, with DeVan and Alleman as backups, cutting Richard and putting Thomas on the PS.

So the lineup will be:

Left Tackle: Charlie Johnson
                      Left Guard: Jacques McClendon
                      Center: Jeff Saturday
                      Right Guard: Mike Pollak
                      Right Tackle: Ryan Diem

Backups:

Adam Terry
                      Tony Ugoh
                      Kyle DeVan
                      Andy Alleman
                      Last edited by Seamus2602; 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Pollak again?

I thought the goal was to get stronger inside. Pollak was getting pushed around like a rug doll.

I would say Devan is better.

Comment

Pollak again?

I thought the goal was to get stronger inside. Pollak was getting pushed around like a rug doll.

I would say Devan is better.
                          Not a lot of it was Pollak's fault. It's just easier to bench Mike Pollak than to bench Jeff Saturday. Pollak's worst games last season were against Arizona (who play a 3-4) and San Francisco (who play a 3-4). When playing against the 3-4 the Left Guard kicks over the help out the Left Tackle on the Right End, while the Right Guard helps the Center against the Nose Tackle. Pollak played badly in those games but Saturday played so much worse and Pollak took the fall for it. In the other games he played last year I though he wasn't brilliant in the run game but was decent. He is also a much better pass blocker than DeVan.

DeVan was also awful in the post season.

Comment

Well, that is a bold statement. It is a gamble to install new starters at both OT spots.

No more Diem and CJ as starters?

Who do you think will start at the remaining spots?
                            Against my better judgment I am expecting Ugoh to pull his head out of his butt this year and take back a starting spot, perhaps at OT. I think Diem could start but as part of the bold nature of my predictions I think it will be at guard, if anywhere. With him getting abused by Derrick Burgess and Leonard Little last year, and with teams having two viable speed rushers, one on either edge, I think Diem's best days at OT are two years behind him and fading fast.

Seamus I agree with you that Saturday's play last year, especially early on in the season, was very poor. However, he did improve as the year went on and I still haven't seen enough from Pollack to think he warrants a starting spot anywhere. Maybe some light will come on for him in camp this year but with a year in the system and his effort and attitude I don't think there's any way Devan loses his job to Pollack. I also don't think the coaching staff would make another player "take the fall" to save another player's pride.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                              Against my better judgment I am expecting Ugoh to pull his head out of his butt this year and take back a starting spot, perhaps at OT. I think Diem could start but as part of the bold nature of my predictions I think it will be at guard, if anywhere. With him getting abused by Derrick Burgess and Leonard Little last year, and with teams having two viable speed rushers, one on either edge, I think Diem's best days at OT are two years behind him and fading fast.

Seamus I agree with you that Saturday's play last year, especially early on in the season, was very poor. However, he did improve as the year went on and I still haven't seen enough from Pollack to think he warrants a starting spot anywhere. Maybe some light will come on for him in camp this year but with a year in the system and his effort and attitude I don't think there's any way Devan loses his job to Pollack. I also don't think the coaching staff would make another player "take the fall" to save another player's pride.
                              According to team sources both Ugoh and Pollak are playing a lot better this season. Theres a new Offensive Line Coach who may have a different way of motivating players, different styles etc. Also remember that DeVan wasn't great either and was awful in the playoffs, easily the Colts worst starter in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information