Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Colts 2010 Season Thread - Week 17 (Titans 20 - Colts 23)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
    Looking at next year's draft class, I'm really underwhelmed by the prospects at positions that are our biggest needs (OG, OT, DT).

Shane P. Hallam posted an interesting list of underclassmen that might declare. I hope all of them enter the draft.

Among those senior prospects that have a chance to fall to us, I would say that Nate Solder (OT), Demarcus Love (OT), Christian Ballard (DT) and Marcus Cannon (OG) intrigue me the most.

I love the DE prospects in this draft and a very talented one will probably be there for us. But could we pick a DE 2 years in a row?
    I doubt it. With Polian any pick is possible but I have a feeling he will take an offensive player this year. My hope would be OLman but a WR or RB would not surprise me. I look at it like this. In 09 the team had problems running the ball and despite people saying it was because of the OL, Polian took a RB. I think this year he will look at the problems in the passing game and say "we need a WR" rather than looking at the OL that isn't giving the passing plays a chance to develop.

Then again this year the team may have a much higher pick. Polian often says he doesn't take OL or DT late in the 1st because the value isn't there.

Really I just never know what the hell Polian is going to do. And I'm not sure how much drafting is really Bill anymore. I think Chris has had more and more to do with it starting in 07.

For what it's worth I liked the Jerry Hughes pick and I still kind of do. I think it made sense at the time. One or both of Freeney and Mathis seem to wear down by the end of the year so it makes sense to have a 3rd guy in there, especially if you have a way to work him into the game as a 3rd pass rusher. But that hasn't happened this year and I don't know if it will. I don't hate the pick but I don't like that he never plays, especially when we see guys like Roger Saffold doing so well and knowing we could've had him and he'd be making an impact right now.

Comment

Oh man, I hope we don't pick a WR or RB in the first again. Not unless it's the next Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice.

Comment

Oh man, I hope we don't pick a WR or RB in the first again. Not unless it's the next Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice.
        I don't want one either but I think it will happen.

It figures we will probably have a lower pick in a year when the OL (and DT for that matter) talent is apparently not that great.

Comment

Well, if all the top guy at our need positions are gone, then I want one of those talented 280+ lbs DE prospects that this draft is full of.

A guy who can help us both against the run as a DE and against the pass as a DT.

Comment

Well, if all the top guy at our need positions are gone, then I want one of those talented 280+ lbs DE prospects that this draft is full of.

A guy who can help us both against the run as a DE and against the pass as a DT.
            I agree a pick that takes Keyunta Dawson off the field is a good one.

Comment

Back in the dome! :)

Sig by BoneKrusher
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

We are just falling apart.

MAJOR changed need to be made.

Comment

Ugh. Multiple chances to win and yet, we earned the loss today. Time to clean house on the O-Line, cut high round bust draft picks(Gonzo, Brown) and perhaps ponder about booting management and or/coaches. If Chris Polian has been calling the shots for the last two years draft pick wise, I'm not impressed. Caldwell looks lost most of the time though I'm not sure how to distinguish his lost look from his 'I know what's going on' face.

Realize we are down to backups playing key positions on offense, but still this is bad football to watch. O-Line consisting of undrafted scrubs and late draft picks can't move a yugo downhill. Cut Pollak, Devan, Diem, Richard and move Charlie to left guard. Saturday at this point should be a back up though I doubt Peyton would want Jeff gone. Scott in his latest mock has us picking a DT in the 1st which I can't argue with, but our need on the O-Line is much greater. If we have a competent running game, our lack of run stopping talent on D isn't as big of a deal assuming we are playing with the lead most of the time. Time to bring in a whole new line who can run block.

The above said, I'm not sure who the Colts would hire to coach this team. Manning appears to be overwhelmed trying to coach all the back ups. His role in that nature needs to be reduced to where he's just playing his part and not being a full time offensive coordinator. We need a coach who can motivate players but at the same time not freak out at every little thing.

Comment

RagingColt, I agree with everything you've said, except for moving CJ to guard. He has ZERO run-blocking ability.

Fact of the matter, we are well below-average at every position on the O-line. And big changes need to be made.

Comment

• I think that healthy CJ can play either guard position or RT. He is obviously not healthy, he started the year with I think leg injury and now has a back injury he's playing through. He is miscast at LT but even injured he is better than anyone else on the line. He is the only player I think would be worth keeping next year.

Someone in power on this team needs to stop thinking emotionally. Keeping guys like Saturday and Diem, hiring Fat Dungy for "continuity", etc is hurting the team. The solution for injuries is absolutely NOT putting more responsibility on Manning while the front office tries to ride his coattails to greatness. He's proving that this year, the last few games he looks like he did back in the early 2000s. He's panicking, pushing too hard, making bad decisions, and there's no one that is going to rein him in. It is time to get rid of the ones content to sit back and say things like "As long as we've got #18 throwing the ball, we'll be ok". We need guys, on staff and on the team, that take pride in doing their job and shouldering their responsibility. Manning is just a player, he is not a "coach on the field" or any of that nonsense. A great player, but just a player. It is not his job to run the team.

This organization needs to pull its head out of its ass.

Comment

• Agree to disagree, killxswitch.

CJ is a finesse blocker, who has ALWAYS been a liability as a run-blocker. He gets pushed around by 260-lbs speed-rushers. I really don't see how he would improve our line as a OG or RT.

Let's face it, he would be at his best as a versatile super-sub.

Fact of the matter Colts don't have a single starting-caliber O-Lineman on the roster at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                          Agree to disagree, killxswitch.

CJ is a finesse blocker, who has ALWAYS been a liability as a run-blocker. He gets pushed around by 260-lbs speed-rushers. I really don't see how he would improve our line as a OG or RT.

Let's face it, he would be at his best as a versatile super-sub.

Fact of the matter Colts don't have a single starting-caliber O-Lineman on the roster at this point.
                          I actually do agree with that. But realistically I don't think we can change more than maybe 2-3 starters on the OL in the offseason. There are plenty of places where he wouldn't start, but he is the bet OLman we have now.

It makes me sad to look back at the starting line of Tarik Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Jake Scott, and Diem. Compared to the dog **** we have now that was one hell of a line. Now Glenn is retired, Lilja cut, Scott signed with the Titans, and the last two are 2+ years past being any good.

Comment

• http://twitter.com/JimIrsay

Dom Rhodes is apparently back with the team or at least in for a tryout.

Comment

• Oh, Jeez. You might as well give Edge a tryout.

Comment

• Oh what the hell does this mean now? Dominic Rhodes? Seriously?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information