No announcement yet.

The Official Colts Playoffs Thread - (Jets 17 - Colts 16) SEASON IS OVER. :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Brown might have another decent game with equal touches running and catching the ball. He has looked good catching passes and has shown in the last few games that he can shake a tackler or two in space for a 1st. I'd like to see Manning use all the backs more in the passing game. That used to be a bigger part of the offense and with so many receiver injuries now would be the time to get back to it.

Also, it's no longer TBD. Saturday night, 8PM, NBC.

Comment

Seems like simple stuff like swing passes to our RBs can be as effective as anything in the playoffs. The SB win vs the Bears being a key example as both Joe and Dom had monster receiving games.

Comment

Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
        Cromartie is a scrub. I think garcon is a better player than him.
        Yes, Cromartie is a terrible cornerback who the Colts should throw at as frequently as they can. And Revis is having a down year so Manning should have no fear throwing to whomever he is covering as well.

Nothing could go wrong with this strategy. The Colts should look past the Jets and worry more about having to face the Patriots, their fierce rival.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
          Yes, Cromartie is a terrible cornerback who the Colts should throw at as frequently as they can. And Revis is having a down year so Manning should have no fear throwing to whomever he is covering as well.

Nothing could go wrong with this strategy. The Colts should look past the Jets and worry more about having to face the Patriots, their fierce rival.
          In all seriousness I don't know how good Cro is or isn't this year.

Comment

But we do know that he plays very well against the Colts.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
              But we do know that he plays very well against the Colts.
              Except when he forgets to line up against Reggie Wayne at the snap.

Comment

Via Paul Kuharsky's AFC South Blog:

The Colts' full injury report for Wednesday:
                DB Al Afalava, Ankle, Full Participation
                OT Ryan Diem, Back, Did Not Participate
                DE Dwight Freeney, Rested, Did Not Participate
                DB Kelvin Hayden. Neck, Did Not Participate
                DT Antonio Johnson, Chest, Limited Participation
                DE Robert Mathis, Rested, Did Not Participate
                DT Dan Muir, Chest, Full Participation
                DB Mike Newton, Hamstring, Did Not Participate
                RB Dominic Rhodes, Hip, Did Not Participate
                OG Jamey Richard, Concussion, Did Not Participate
                LB Clint Session, Elbow, Did Not Participate

Comment

An involved discussion

My players to watch

Tamme/White- To win this game we have to have production from them. The jets have gotten torched this year in the middle of the field. White in the slot and Tamme at TE are gonna have the best chance to make some big plays.

Rhodes- He is an outstanding back when he is fresh. Dom always looks great coming off the bench. I think if we can get him 7 - 12 carries he will have an awesome day and really give our offense a jump. It also depends on if our o-line shows up in the run like they have lately.

Freeney/Mathis- They gotta get to Sanchez early. Make him doubt his blocking and force some bad throws. I believe Mathis will get a strip sack in this game. The key though is to get the pressure early.

Muir/Johnson- These guys have gotten tremendous push lately and have created lanes for Bracket and Bethea to come in and make the tackle.

Lastly, and most importantly is our freaking coverage unit. Somebody has got to be a head hunter and knock some heads on punts and kicks. They are looking like they are scared of contact. They gotta forget it and explode on the returner. Keep contain and stay in lanes.

I'm mostly worried about the return game and the production of Tamme and White. They have done awesome but we just can't drop any balls if we want to get an offensive rythm.

To be honest I usually just read discussions but I decided to throw some things in here couse MaxV wants us to be involved. :) Hope it sounds like a pretty decent breakdown.

Sig by BoneKrusher
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
                    Peyton has to figure out to play against the 3-4. Every team we will face in the AFC plays a 3-4.
                    I don't think it is as simple as lumping all the 3-4 teams together. If we get back to the Superbowl the route is probably going to be Jets-Steelers-Patriots. That will be a game against the Rex Ryan 3-4/46 Hybrid Pressure Defense. The game against the Steelers will be against the the Dick LeBeau Zone Blitz 3-4 Defense. The game against the Patriots will be against the Fairbanks-Bullough 2 Gap 3-4 Defense.

Manning has a great record against the Ryan Defense. He is 7-1 against that type of Defense (his only loss coming last year when Polian pulled the Starters against the Jets). Manning is 160 from 246 (65%), for 15 TDs, on 5 Ints, with 8.4 ypa, for a Quarterback Rating of 102.9. He has played very well against the Ryan 3-4 Defense.

He also has a great record against the LeBeau Defense. He is 5-1 against that type of Defense (his only loss being the "He Missed It" game). He is 113 from 196 (57.6%), for 13 TDs, on 3 Ints, with a 7.6 ypa, for a Quarterback Rating of 97.5.

Manning struggles against the other two types of 3-4 Defenses. The Bum Phillips One Gap Defense (as used by the Colts regular bogey team the San Diego Chargers). That is why I am worried about the Texans hiring Wade Phillips to be their DC. The other system that Manning heavily struggles with is the 2 Gap Defense (as used by New England and the Belichick coaching tree). It is why Manning struggled against Romeo Crennel this year. He struggles against that system.

So it isn't as simple as to say Manning does poorly against the 3-4. As shown against two of the 3-4 Defenses the Colts are likely to face in this game, and, if they win this game, the next game, Manning is 12-2.
                    Last edited by Seamus2602; 01-06-2011, 11:17 AM.
                    Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Good post Seamus. I am also concerned about the Wade Phillips hire in Houston. Mario Williams, Brian Cushing, and possibly Amobe Okoye are about to become a lot more of a problem.

I am most concerned not with the offense, but the defense. I think White, Tamme, and possibly Eldridge will have big days and Cro will probably be good for a screwup or two for a big play to Garcon. Wayne will probably have <5 catches for <50 yards. The OL I think will hold up. But we have one quality starter in our defensive backfield in Bethea. Tryon is a great NB and OK #2 CB but as a #1 he is overmatched. Lacey, Brown, and Francisco should not be NFL starters, ever.

If the team sits back in soft zone I am afraid even Mark Sanchez will carve us up. I think this team will need to take a few risks on defense to go anywhere in the post season.

Comment

It is only recently that our run D has settled down better. The combo of AJ & Moala in the middle, with the rookies Angerer & Conner playing well, Hagler playing SAM (like Rob Morris in 2006) and not to mention, Brackett in the back field more often due to AJ & Moala being disruptive, is what is making our run D better.

Still, the same weaknesses remain, AJ & Moala are still run stuffing DTs and the elite teams that can pass well will pass on us if they go 6 OL or 2 TEs/1 RB & FB to protect and/or chip & release.

If the Jets saw film of the Titans, they will use the pass to set up the run as the game goes on. The only thing that will keep them from doing it later in the game is if the Colts O puts up enough points on the board to get a good enough lead.

A few more thoughts:

What could the Bears D not do to prevent the Jets from putting up 34 points? That is the only game that gives some credibility to the potential behind the Jets' passing game. 27 points from their offense, I think there was a defensive TD there. Bears play the similar style of D that we do, rush primarily four but have better DTs and LBs, IMO that can disrupt the run and the pass.

Or, is it that a team that relies on just the front four to rush, when they have bad weather, the footing causes more issues in bad weather (look at how the Bears have played against both the Pats and Jets at home) and that is magnified when they do not send extra rushers??? Not sure. At least, we don't have to worry about the weather for this game for our front four.

As far as the Bears offense, Cromartie is someone who has not been able to hang with route runners with some level of speed. I do not think Garcon is on the same level as Johnny Knox w.r.t speed to run past Cromartie, to be frank. I think Knox clocked a 4.29 in his 40 or something and his go routes are faster. Neither is Peyton's arm at the same level as Jay Cutler though Peyton's accuracy (and of course, decision making & intelligence to read Ds) is much superior to Cutler's. Cutler has a major league pitcher's arm, it seems like. Cromartie is a bit stiff with his hips, hence he can be beat by guys like Wayne with superior route running but Revis is the CB that can hang with Wayne. That is why Cromartie will be on Garcon and Garcon will have issues with Cromartie, if his issues with Jason McCourty of the Titans who played him tight are any indication. Garcon's best chance to get some receptions would still be underneath or curls/comebacks as opposed to beating Cromartie over the top. Since Cromartie's tackling skills are more suspect than his cover skills, I would say that if Garcon can generate some separation for catches underneath and make Cromartie miss a tackle or two after the catch, long gains can be had.
                        Last edited by chad72; 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Garcon has awesome YAC. Yeah, I can see him snagging a bunch of curl/comebacks and using agility to pick up some extra yards.

Sig by BoneKrusher
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

I fancy the chances of our outside guys to get some exchange out of the Jets Cornerbacks. Reggie Wayne is the best route runner in the NFL. There were times in both games against the Jets last season when Reggie had the better of Revis. There was one play were he completely suckered him and it would have been a 60+ yard TD but Manning just overthrew Wayne. Similarly Cromartie should do well against Garcon but is prone to mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts get a big play or two from the outside.

That being said most of the game will have to focus on the inside guys so I fancy Blair White to give Kyle Wilson a few headaches while I don't think any of the Jets Linebackers or Safeties are good enough to cover Tamme one on one so I fancy him to have a good day.

The key is getting balance. Force their safeties to come closer to the line and their backers to play the run and Tamme and White will rip the seem to pieces all day long.
                            Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Defensive is playing well right now and the OL is getting enough of a push to do well in the ground game. So far, so good.
                              Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

Back to HORRIFIC run defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information