No announcement yet.

2011 Colts' Draft/Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't call that O-Line a "dream".

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxV View Post
      Bullitt is ok.

I know you guys, along with other Colts' fans, were pulling for Colts to draft a SS prospect in this draft, but this year's safety class sucked. I don't think Sash would be an upgrade over Melvin. Maybe we can get McDaniel, but honestly, I think he's overrated also.

Maybe there could be a cheap, under the radar SS free agent out there.
      Ha ha, overrated by who? I'll assume just me, since none of the 32 teams rated him highly enough to draft him.

Here's a post I made on coltfreaks.com about SS options:

The draft took care of OT and to a lesser extent DT needs and IMO did it well. But the Polians obviously didn't like the safety options since they didn't draft any.

So who starts at strong safety next year? It needs to be someone with speed that can support the run and still play deep coverage.

Options:

Donte Whitner - A first round draft pick by the Bills in 06. Possibly underrated by Bills fans. Had a lot of tackles last year. Seems kind of stupid but we don't have a team of Rhodes Scholars. Good size and speed. The Bills GM appears to not want him back but he might want too much money.

Dawan Landry - Good in-the-box safety, excels in run support, but struggles more in coverage and in making downfield tackles. I don't think he's that great of an option.

Tom Zbikowski - RFA for the Ravens and seems to be better than Landry in coverage while still being good in run support. If the tender is low enough it might be worth snapping him up.

Jarrad Page - Backing up Patrick Chung in NE right now, had a contract tiff with the Chiefs. He is a big strong in-the-box SS that has made a number of game-sealing INTs. Also a good ST player.

Melvin Bullitt - Says he can't imagine coming back to the Colts unless it's with a long-term contract. I am sure he's looking to get paid but I am not sure he is worth a long term starting SS contract. He is a FS playing SS, and his best spot IMO is as a great backup, not a mediocre starter. He is at least proven and a known quantity, I just think the Colts can do better. Shoulder may be a recurring injury.

Al Afalava - A mini-linebacker type with good size and hitting but suspect in coverage. A Colts ERFA so he will probably be around to compete if Bullitt is'nt given a long-term contract.

Jamie Silva - A ST player and career backup.

Chip Vaughn - Good size but I haven't seen enough of him yet to say much. Seems like he has good size (6'2, 215) and speed, the Saints wanted to try him at FS.

DeAndre McDaniel - Will be an UDFA once the NFL stops being stupid, and I think he is underrated at this point. Great size, hard hitter and tackler, good enough speed, good hands though his INTs were down last year.

edit: Forgot about Jeron Johnson, another UDFA that was a hard hitting intimidator in college. He put on some weight to get stronger, so it will be important to see if he kept his 4.5 speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by falloutboy14 View Post
        Anyone put any thought into bringing in an O-lineman in free agency? I know we don't delve into free agency, but we're also often attempting to retain a key player.

All that said, if we could get a Robert Gallery or Davin Joseph quality guard, or a tackle, imagine what it could do for our O-line.
        I've wanted Joseph for months. Also, Logan Mankins is possibly going to be a free agent. Gallery would be a nice addition for the run game but he is getting old. Which is weird because I clearly remember all the hype surrounding him pre-draft.

Comment

• Yes, I meant he is overrated by the posters here.

I'm not against signing McDaniel, I just don't think he'll be anything more then an average starter.

Good post, killxswitch. I agree with you.

The options out there aren't great. I would sign Bullitt to a 2-year deal and try to bring someone in next year's draft to be eventual replacement.

Comment

• Max have you seen the quote by Bullitt that he doesn't want to come back to the Colts unless it's for a long-term deal? I read it on his Rotoworld player page. I agree that a 2 year contract would be ideal. It just looks like the Colts can't count on him agreeing to that.

Comment

• It depends on what the market is out there for him.

I mean, he can say whatever he wants, but if there is no team out there willing to give him a long-term deal, then what leverage does he have?

He's not a franchise player. He's a "fill-the-position-for-1-or-2-years" kind of a player.

Comment

• I agree. Hopefully he doesn't take a long time looking around in free agency. Though I suppose it isn't even for sure that he will be unrestricted.

Comment

• Polian has good history of finding talented players that other teams try to sneak through the practice squad.

Maybe he can find an O-lineman and a safety.

Comment

• As long as one good OG can be found between Diem, Thomas, DeVan and Pollak, I think the OL will be fine. Of course that means starting the year with bookend rookies, but in my opinion it offers the Colts their best possible lineup:

LT: Castonzo
                    LG: McClendon
                    OC: Saturday
                    RG: (winner of 4 mentioned above)
                    RT: Ijalana

With backups, this lineup looks like:

LT: Castonzo/Ijalana
                    LG: McClendon/(one of 4)
                    OC: Saturday/Richard
                    RG: (winner of 4)/(2nd place of 4)
                    RT: Ijalana/Johnson

With the two that don't make the cut at RG (my guess being Pollak and DeVan) being cut. That leaves holes beyond the 2011 season at OC and RG, though if the Colts are high on McClendon at OC, then it's a matter of finding a LG and RG, except if they also like Thomas or whoever wins that RG spot (unless it's Diem, which I think it very well could be) at one of the OG spots, then it's simply a matter of finding another OG. Saturday and Diem have to be replaced in all capacities by 2013 IMO.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

• Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                      As long as one good OG can be found between Diem, Thomas, DeVan and Pollak, I think the OL will be fine. Of course that means starting the year with bookend rookies, but in my opinion it offers the Colts their best possible lineup:

LT: Castonzo
                      LG: McClendon
                      OC: Saturday
                      RG: (winner of 4 mentioned above)
                      RT: Ijalana

With backups, this lineup looks like:

LT: Castonzo/Ijalana
                      LG: McClendon/(one of 4)
                      OC: Saturday/Richard
                      RG: (winner of 4)/(2nd place of 4)
                      RT: Ijalana/Johnson

With the two that don't make the cut at RG (my guess being Pollak and DeVan) being cut. That leaves holes beyond the 2011 season at OC and RG, though if the Colts are high on McClendon at OC, then it's a matter of finding a LG and RG, except if they also like Thomas or whoever wins that RG spot (unless it's Diem, which I think it very well could be) at one of the OG spots, then it's simply a matter of finding another OG. Saturday and Diem have to be replaced in all capacities by 2013 IMO.
                      Talk coming out of Indy is that both Charlie Johnson and Ben Ijalana are penciled in as the season starters at the two Guard spots with Ijalana long term projected at RT.
                      Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

• CJ isn't a good guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seamus2602 View Post
                          Talk coming out of Indy is that both Charlie Johnson and Ben Ijalana are penciled in as the season starters at the two Guard spots with Ijalana long term projected at RT.
                          I sure hope not, Johnson sucks there and Ijalana's talent would be wasted there (at least until he moved to RT).

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

• What was the thinking behind drafting Rucker.

I've heard he has off the field issues and I didn't see corner as a very high need. Does he have some potential?

Sig by BoneKrusher
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCAChainGang View Post
                              What was the thinking behind drafting Rucker.

I've heard he has off the field issues and I didn't see corner as a very high need. Does he have some potential?
                              Rucker was drafted because we suck at 3rd and short, and because we've been abused by MJD for years so it would be nice to have our own little bowling ball to abuse opposing defenses. Not that I think Carter will be as good as MJD, but he will be that type of back.

Comment

• Rucker was BPA, that's all.

And I think that's absolutely the right approach in the lower rounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information