No announcement yet.

2011 Colts' Draft/Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our scheme calls for SLB to be more physical then fast.

They have to fight through blockers more.

Moch could be a heck of a WLB.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
      Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our scheme calls for SLB to be more physical then fast.

They have to fight through blockers more.

Moch could be a heck of a WLB.
      His size and experience at DE would benefit him in shedding blocks and speed is never a bad thing. WLB in our scheme requires pass coverage skills that I doubt he has, though. Basically I am just psyched about a 245 lb. guy that can run a sub 4.3 40. My first thought was to make him lose 20 lbs. and play SS, but obviously then the pass coverage problems would be that much worse.

I really like the way the Giants play Kiwanuka at SLB, I'd like the Colts to borrow from that idea.

Comment

I remember Colts using Marcus Washington as blitzer at times.

Blitzing has been an effective weapon for us when we catch teams by surprise.

Comment

The major difficulty is that Strongside Linebacker, for the Colts, is a 2 down position. As soon as the Colts go into the Nickle the SAM comes out. Drafting another Linebacker in the 2nd just to play maybe half the snaps isn't good value.
          Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

That seems like a lifetime ago but yeah I remember the same thing. I have wondered before, when Wheeler was starting, why not send him on a blitz? It's the only thing he was known for in college. Why send Brackett, who is ok as a blitzer but is better in coverage, when you've got a bigger, stronger, faster, worse-in-coverage blitzing LB right next to him?

Seamus, that is true. Really I am just stretching for a reason to draft Moch. What an incredible athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
              That seems like a lifetime ago but yeah I remember the same thing. I have wondered before, when Wheeler was starting, why not send him on a blitz? It's the only thing he was known for in college. Why send Brackett, who is ok as a blitzer but is better in coverage, when you've got a bigger, stronger, faster, worse-in-coverage blitzing LB right next to him?

Seamus, that is true. Really I am just stretching for a reason to draft Moch. What an incredible athlete.
              My two issues with Moch are that, firstly, I don't think he'll be a 4-3 LB. 3-4 yeah but not 4-3. In the 4-3 I see him converting to DE, the way that Marcus Howard did. Remember that Moch is 1" smaller and the same weight as Robert Mathis.

Secondly he's a great athlete. I'm not a fan of athletes. Give me a football player any day of the week. I question whether he has the range and coverage skills to play linebacker or whether he has the strength and skills to be a pass rusher.
              Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
                - DT - Unless Dareus, Fairley, or possibly Paea is available at the 22nd pick I think the Colts should look for depth in the draft or at free agency.
                With top underclassmen declaring, this all of a sudden looks like a good DT class.

After the 3 that you've mentioned Austin, Ballard, Nevis, Liuget, Casey and Wilkerson have upside as 3-techs.

Comment

This draft also features several big DE prospect that might project as 3-tech UTs.

Watt, Heyward, Jordan and Bailey are all interesting prospects.

I think an opportunity to upgrade the D-Line is definitely there this year.

Comment

Colts and Sanders possibly re-working the contract.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/1/1...2011#storyjump

It might be unrealistic, but I'm still hopeful he returns in good form.

Comment

No reason not to re-sign him if he'll take a lot less money. If he plays, great! If not, no big loss. But we need a S in the draft regardless.

Comment

Wanted to pass this on for you guys:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/1/2...auderaff-guard

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

Interesting. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                            Well, the season is over, unfortunately. Time for off-season.

What do we need in the draft?
                            OL, OL, and more OL! Seriously, a draft that went OT, OT, OG would be great as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, where else is help needed?

QB - The only 4 time MVP in NFL history. 'Nuff said.
                            RB - Re-sign Addai (which should be cheap) and it's a non-issue.
                            WR - Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Anthony Gonzalez/Pierre Garcon, Blair White, the Colts are minimum 5 deep here.
                            TE - Dallas Clark, Jacob Tamme/Brody Eldridge, the Colts are 3 deep here
                            OT - Charlie Johnson and Ryan Diem could both be upgraded.
                            OG - Time to solidify the starters of this unit rather than rotating people in and out on a weekly basis. Hopefully Jacques McClendon can be a part of that starting next season.
                            OC - Saturday just made his 5th Pro Bowl, and Jamey Richard seems to be in line to replace him.

DE - Two Pro Bowl starters with a 1st round pick in reserves, this unit is fine.
                            DT - Personally, I'm highly comfortable with a rotation of Muir, Moala, Johnson, Mathews, and Foster.
                            LB - Two surprising rookies solidified this unit in 2010. Session, Brackett, Angerer, and Conner make for the best unit the team has had since the departure of Thornton.
                            CB - Powers, Hayden, Tryon, and Lacey are fine. Oh, and Kevin Thomas, 3rd round pick from 2010, has yet to see the field.
                            S - Bethea, Bullitt, and Sanders if healthy. I'm not comfortable with Francisco as a starter, so I wouldn't mind a S in the later rounds just in case Sanders and Bullitt go down again in 2011.

P - McAfee hasn't been so horrible as to need replacing. Could do better though.
                            K - Vinatieri is old, I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts grab a K with good accuracy.
                            LS - Snow seems to be a mainstay, so I'll trust in that until further notice.

So aside from OT and OG, I'm not seeing where the need exists.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I think a strong safety is a bigger need than that. Bullitt is a great backup and an interesting 3rd safety option but not a great starter IMO. Sanders is a top 3 safety when fully healthy but you can't trust him to stay off the injury report. I agree going OL early and often would be great as long as the players are there. But if the safety talent in the 2nd was better than the OL talent I wouldn't mind taking the safety.

Comment

Welcome back, Dam.

I agree with you regarding OL being top need. Clearly, significant upgrade is needed there.

But what do you think about this deep class of DLs this year? It looks like Colts might finally be in a position to find that talented UT that they've needed for so long.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information