2011 Colts' Draft/Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colts_fan8818 View Post
    While I agree that Polian will not trade up, I still think that there is a good chance we can nab Carimi. A lot of the teams ahead of us have more pressing issues then o-line, and due to the fact that OT is one of the weakest positions in this draft a lot of teams might not feel the value is there for the higher picks. Besides at least 1 team will most likely fall in love with Solder and draft him way before they should and possibly do the same with Smith. Besides if we don't get Carimi at least there is a good chance that Sharrod will still be there, which isn't a bad consolation prize. Even getting Costanzo would be an improvement, then what we have now.
    I hope you are right. I am fine with getting Sherrod in the 1st if Carimi isn't there. I don't want Castonzo though, he is not strong enough for the NFL.

What would be really exciting would be to see Polian move up to get Carimi, then move up again in the late 1st/early 2nd to nab another good OL prospect like Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
      I hope you are right. I am fine with getting Sherrod in the 1st if Carimi isn't there. I don't want Castonzo though, he is not strong enough for the NFL.

What would be really exciting would be to see Polian move up to get Carimi, then move up again in the late 1st/early 2nd to nab another good OL prospect like Marcus Cannon or Mike Pouncey.
      I actually like Marcus Gilbert more then Castonzo, although he might be a reach with our pick.

Moving up with the first 2 picks would require for us to trade several of our later picks. I'm against that. We need depth and there is always a possibility to find late-round gems.

Comment

To me getting Carimi and Cannon/Pouncey would be worth giving up a few picks. I don't disagree about depth though, we do need it at several spots.

Comment

Every year teams fall in love with the athletic guys, the former Tight End prospects and the guys with huge upside. I would not be shocked if Castonzo, Smith and Solder were all gone before Camiri and Sherrod.
          Originally posted by George Carlin

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.

Comment

While I'm pretty confident that either Carimi or Sherrod will still be there when we pick, I'm afraid Polian will screw it up and take someone like Solder or Smith, or do something really stupid and not draft a linemen until the 3rd or 4th or something like that.
            Save the Colts, and fire Pollian.

Comment

Originally posted by colts_fan8818 View Post
              While I'm pretty confident that either Carimi or Sherrod will still be there when we pick, I'm afraid Polian will screw it up and take someone like Solder or Smith, or do something really stupid and not draft a linemen until the 3rd or 4th or something like that.
              Your fears are founded. I did predict drafting Hughes but usually I don't guess his picks right. I don't want him to pick a lineman just for the sake of picking one but my concern would be his inability to assess proper 1st round talent, especially on the OL.

Comment

I predicted the Addai pick, but everyone saw that one coming. He was considered a perfect fit for out system.

Marlin Jackson was a very popular pick in many mocks for the Colts also, but I actually didn't think we would pick him.
                Last edited by MaxV; 02-11-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Recent Forum Mock

1) Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
                  2) Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
                  3) Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
                  4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn
                  5) Martin Parker, DT, Richmond
                  6) Joe Lefeged, S, Rutgers
                  7) Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State

Players I was targeting Rounds 6-7

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"

Comment

Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                    Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

Drake Nevis and Christian Ballard were taken before my pick in the 2nd and I had tried to trade for a few veteran DTs but to no avail.
                    If the draft turns out like that I will break something. Solder is not at all what the Colts need at tackle, and we don't need a LB enough to pick one in the 2nd. Especially considering S and DT are much bigger needs.
                    Save the Colts, and fire Pollian.

Comment

• Yeah that would be a disaster of a draft for the Colts.

Comment

• Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                        Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

I'm not as low on Solder as others on this forum I would value Sherrod higher than Solder.

Backer isn't really a need for the Colts. If we resign Session then we are fine. If we don't Kavell Conner played very well in his absence and all the team would need to do is bring in depth. While I'm a big fan of Herzlich (it's hard not to be after what he came back from) I don't like the pick.

Do we really need to draft the 7th CB on our depth chart in the 3rd Round?

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

I quite like Hurd. I think he could even start further down the line in the NFL. He isn't NFL ready yet (but this in the 4th round you'd struggle to find someone who is). Maybe a little high but nothing to get overally annoyed at.

Quite like the pick. Good value for Parker, he can rush the passer from the interior of the line, something the Colts have been missing for a while now.

Really like this pick. Bit of steal (I have Lefeged currently rated as about a 4th Round pick), can provide depth at both Safety positions and give the team a dynamic kick returner.

My only problem with this pick is that I question how much depth we need on the O-Line. We have already drafted a LT. That means we have 4 OT on the roster. Even if we play CJ at RT and cut Diem I feel that Linkenbach is a good enough backup at both T spots. Similarly inside we have a couple of guys (Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, McClendon) so I don't think we need to address OL depth this year.

So overall hit and miss. 4-7 were pretty good. Good fits, good value but 1-3 rounds really hit the draft badly.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

Comment

• With Polian you get a lot of WTF moments. But the do, largely speaking, work out more often than not. I don't normally watch into the later stages of the draft (I check back every now and then) but I would watch the first 3 rounds. And the 2009 Draft sticks in my mind. A lot of people where predicting the Brown pick but the general consensus was that we were taking a UConn player (either Beatty or Brown). So I wasn't that shocked when he pulled the trigger on Brown. In the 2nd Round it was generally accepted that we were either going to take Sen'Derrick Marks or Fili Moala. So again that wasn't a surprise either. But then there was the real WTF moment. The team had just paid Kelvin Hayden a huge new contract, we had Jackson returning from injury, a couple of other players like Tim "first down" Jennings but still had players there. And Polian (in the third round, a round you should be getting a potential starter in) pulls the trigger on a 6th round rated CB prospect. Turned out pretty well and Powers is our best Cornerback and if he can stay healthy he is a potential pro bowler.

So what do we all know?

Comment

• Originally posted by fischbowl View Post
                            Recent Forum Mock

4) Zach Hurd, G, UConn

Too much early investment in not OL. I'm really hoping the team will go 2 OTs and an OG in the first 3 rounds of the draft and pick up a 4th OL on Day 3. Lb and CB are positions of non-need, but I like Herzlich, and a Herzlich-Angerer-Session or Herzlich-Angerer-Conner LB corps in 2-3 years would be interesting. CB is a no-no though, not with (at minimum) Powers, Hayden, Tryon, Lacey, and Thomas guaranteed a roster spot. DT and S are secondary needs, and a guy like Ahmad Black in round 3 or so would be amazing, but when drafting for the Colts this year, the right answer is OL.
                            Last edited by Dam8610; 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

• I would really like to go Carimi in the first and best player available of OL, DT, and SS in the 2nd.

Comment

• Bob Sanders just got cut. Bummer. I was hoping for a minimal contract with performance incentives. If he goes to another team and kicks ass I will be very upset.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information