Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why else would he be deactivated in more than one game....why would the coach call him out and call him lazy? Why would his agent come out and demand that either Jones get playing time or he wants a trade....and yes, practices during training camp are open to the public and Jones' laziness didn't just start yesterday...

Comment

• Originally posted by swagger View Post
      I guess I wasn't aware that Jacksonville fans were able to watch their team in practice (unless of course a coach explicitely said so).
      Like JagHombre said, a coach HAS explicitly said so, and fans can go to training camp. There are people on the Jaguars.com MB that go to just about every training camp practice possible and can see their performances.

Matt Jones has had only a few good games in his entire career. He's a bust.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
        Like JagHombre said, a coach HAS explicitly said so, and fans can go to training camp. There are people on the Jaguars.com MB that go to just about every training camp practice possible and can see their performances.

I wouldn't officially call him a bust yet...but he's certainly not this teams WR of the future...he started getting more playing time in the last few games and he really asserted himself...much more than ever...he finished strong with four touchdowns...they will give him one more year next season, he'll probably be the slot guy...wilford will likely not be here next season...so I could see him having another year to "prove" himself...

Comment

• Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
          I wouldn't officially call him a bust yet...but he's certainly not this teams WR of the future...he started getting more playing time in the last few games and he really asserted himself...much more than ever...he finished strong with four touchdowns...they will give him one more year next season, he'll probably be the slot guy...wilford will likely not be here next season...so I could see him having another year to "prove" himself...
          He's not some massive Leaf-esque bust, but he hasn't performed at a first-round pick level. Maybe a fourth rounder. I remember everyone saying the pick would be a home-run, or a strikeout. I'd call it a popup that looks good for a half second when it comes off the bat, but is an easy out for the first baseman.

by BoneKrusher
          <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
            He's not some massive Leaf-esque bust, but he hasn't performed at a first-round pick level. Maybe a fourth rounder. I remember everyone saying the pick would be a home-run, or a strikeout. I'd call it a popup that looks good for a half second when it comes off the bat, but is an easy out for the first baseman.
            I agree with that assessment...I just think that they will give him every chance they can because they see the untapped potential that he has...which when he wants to show it...he can be very good...

a healthy Mike Walker and Broussard coupled with MR. Franchise leader in touchdowns...our WR corps could be very good...

Comment

• Together As One was ******* insanity.

Comment

• Best of luck to you guys on Saturday. It will be a hard fought game and the best, most physicalest team will win. If you guys beat us, I hope you guys go all the way. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

• so yeah with us down to our #3 LT, and KR/PR, i think you may have this one in the bag...

added that after losing Aaron Smith we've given up about 500 yards on the ground in 3 games vs you, st lou, and bmore...

i wouldnt be surprised if you all run for 300 yds against us this time

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

• don't sell yourselves short yet...I expect a hard fought game

Comment

• in an unrelated note....the atlanta falcons are rumored to be interested in interviewing Mike Smith, jaguars defensive coordinator, for their head coaching job...can't do until the Jags season is over though...I think...

Comment

• Mike Smith has been rumored to be a low-level consideration many times...let's see if any national media gets to reporting him as a candidate, because all other times it was just rumors that Jax people bounced around.

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen

Comment

• Whether Smith stays or goes, I'd like to see us get more creative with the blitzing next year instead of running so much cover two and three. We have a a very deep linebacking corp and some nice designated pass rushers that are developing nicely. Hopefully we can add another defensive end in free agency or the draft as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
                            why else would he be deactivated in more than one game....why would the coach call him out and call him lazy? Why would his agent come out and demand that either Jones get playing time or he wants a trade....and yes, practices during training camp are open to the public and Jones' laziness didn't just start yesterday...
                            Originally posted by The Unseen View Post

I don't need to tell you guys that Matt Jones is a popular player from his days at Arkansas, and he's one of my favorite college players in the last decade or so.

So I was just inquiring about what his troubles are/were. Since I posted, I did some research and found out exactly what you guys probably already knew, namely Del Rio's "his on-field body language is not encouraging" comments and his agent's trade demands. This os what I was curious about, as it's confusing for an outsider...

I can't help but doubt the Jags. This is the team who has spent recent first rounders on wideouts and benched/deactivated both of them at times. And the handling of the Leftwich situation certainly wasn't ideal, whether they turned out right or not (which obviously they did).

I think the Jags should be giving more playing time to Jones. They made a risk in drafting him and aren't letting themselves reap the reward. I agree that Jones' body language can be misconstrued as poor, but he seems to be that laid back type with loafing body language like Randy Moss, which doesn't necessarily mean he's not trying (for at least Moss, I know he isn't lazy despite the media stigma... I can't say the same about Jones, personally).

Anyways, I'd definitely take Jones for my team one way or another, especially if he can be had for cheap and Jags mgm is as sour on him as you all seem to be.

I'll let you get back to discussing your playoff game.
                            Last edited by swagger; 01-03-2008, 03:35 AM.
                            "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
                            4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

• The Jaguars coaching staff hasn't done well in the drafting of first round talent in the five years that Del Rio has been here....Reggie Nelson is probably his best pick in the first round...he deactivated Reggie Williams and Matt Jones do to the lack of productivity...it worked for Williams as you can see, he set the franchise record for touchdowns in a season....we're still waiting on Jones, but he shows flashes at times....

one thing Mike Smith is known for is his cover two scheme...and it's even said that Reggie Nelson was drafted to play in that scheme as a cover two cornerback...but I think his real worth is at safety, as evidenced by his play this season....if Mike Smith does leave for a head coaching job I think we have his replacement in house...in Dave Campo...

Comment

• Congrats on the Jags getting to the playoffs, guys. The team probably should have made it last year, if not for a costly loss or two that came back to bite them.

I also like their chances against Steelers, as well. JDR and the teal gang can get their first playoff win.

Originally posted by JagHombre22 View Post
                                one thing Mike Smith is known for is his cover two scheme...and it's even said that Reggie Nelson was drafted to play in that scheme as a cover two cornerback...but I think his real worth is at safety, as evidenced by his play this season...
                                Nelson drafted as a corner and not the free safety? Are you sure? I've never heard that before, ever.

They let Deion Grant walk/sign with Seattle in March, they needed a starting free safety. Gerald Sensabaugh was going to take over at strong safety for Donovan Darius who the Jags cut in June, enacting a youth movement at the safety position. Granted, Sensabaugh went down and the team signed veteran Sammy Knight, which worked out very well for them.
                                Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information