Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I pray to the Football Pantheon for a trade down, because I agree with you. There is talent out there. Let's look at GM Gene's batting average. Alualu, Hart, Lane, Karim. The main guys being Hart and Alualu. 2 years ago we get Monroe, Britton, Cox, Jennings, Miller, etc. If we can get 3-4 starters out of this class I think I would be ecstatic.

If we could get anything, it would be a starting CB, a starting LB, a starting S and a developmental QB. We don't even need a S necessarily if we actually do end up putting Mathis back at FS.

Let's not forget that we will also be getting D'Anthony Smith back from IR, so that'll be like an extra draft pick. Actually that's a good thing to point out. Look at our IR list....

9 Garrard, David QB 6-1 236 33 10 East Carolina
    16 Hughes, Nate WR 6-2 195 26 3 Alcorn State
    73 Britton, Eben OT 6-6 310 23 3 Arizona
    87 Dillard, Jarett WR 5-10 187 25 3 Rice
    12 McCown, Luke QB 6-4 217 29 8 Louisiana Tech
    53 Smith, Bryan LB 6-2 250 27 3 McNeese State
    74 Kampman, Aaron DE 6-4 260 31 10 Iowa
    95 Smith, D’Anthony DT 6-2 298 22 2 Louisiana Tech
    30 McGee, Scotty RS/CB 5-8 182 24 2 James Madison
    51 Bosworth, Kyle LB 6-1 236 24 2 UCLA
    58 Cutrera, Jacob LB 6-3 238 22 2 Louisiana State
    62 Estes, John C 6-2 302 23 2 Hawaii
    72 Haslam, Kevin OT 6-5 304 24 2 Rutgers
    43 Whitehead, Terrell FS 6-1 194 22 2 Norfolk State
    20 Wheatley, Terrence CB 5-9 185 25 4 Colorado

That's a large group of players. Take out Garrard and we see this...
    WR -- Hughes, Dillard,
    OL -- Haslam, Britton, Estes
    LB -- Bosworth, Cutrara, Smith
    DB -- Whitehead, Wheatley, McGhee
    DL -- Smith, Kampman

What I see from this is our best DE coming back. Our 3rd DT finally getting into the rotation, thus keeping DT's 1 and 2 more fresh, a potential swing tackle in Haslem that could be better than Black was. Our starting OT coming back, a potential starter in Wheatley (if he can stay healthy), an intriguing prospect in Whitehead at a massive position of need, 2 WR's that could battle for the top 3 spots.

That's alot of talent on IR, but I don't see much out of the LB's. I like Cutrera and think he could be the next Allen, but I don't know how much that says about him.
    Jaguars Season Ticket Holder

Check out Black & Teal for all of your Jaguars needs!

Follow me on twitter @ooonooo904

Comment

• I would still rather see Cox at FS than ever think of putting Mathis back there again. He forgot how to tackle somwhere around his third season.

Comment

• Hahaha, I don't disagree at all with that assessment, I just think Cox is going to continue to develop into a very solid CB while Mathis is on the way down. I think one thing is for certain, SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. I think Greene isn't awful and could be decent back there as a SS, Donovan Darius type, but we need that guy that Reggie Nelson was supposed to be. A center fielder with great vision, top end speed and who makes the INTs

Comment

• My Mock Draft --- Ultimate Scenario in my mind.....
          I used drafttek to basically give myself a guess as to whom would be available in each round, so past the first 100 players (using DC), I used DT.

1. Jags trade out of first for a 2, 3, 5
          2. Christian Ponder, QB
          2. Rahim Moore, S
          3. Greg Jones, LB
          3. Chimdi Chekwa, CB
          4. Jerrel Jernigan, WR
          4. Curtis Marsh, CB
          5. Greg Romeus, DE
          5. Julius Thomas, TE
          6. Cedric Thornton, DT
          7. Derek Newton, OT

Comment

• Using the same scenario that I mentioned before...

1. Jags trade out of first for a 2, 3, 5
            2. Mike Pouncey, OL
            2. Christian Ponder, QB
            3. Greg Jones, LB
            3. Edmund Gates, WR
            4. K.J. Wright, LB
            4. Greg Romeus, DE
            5. Jalil Brown, CB
            5. Julius Thomas, TE
            6. Mark LeGree, S
            7. Josh Thomas, CB

Using our current draft picks only, with no trades....

1. Martez Wilson, LB
            2. Christian Ponder, QB
            3. Nate Irving, LB
            4. Shareece Wright, CB
            4. Korey Lindsey, CB
            5. Julius Thomas, TE
            6. Lester Jean, WR
            7. Will Rackley, OG

Comment

• had one more Mock, discussed it with my good friend and kinda created this one...

1. Cam Jordon, DT/DE
              2. Martez Wilson, ILB
              3. Andy Dalton, QB
              4. Curtis Marsh, CB
              4. Kris O'Dowd, C
              5. Nate Irving, LB
              6. Shiloh Keo, SS
              7. Josh Thomas, CB

Generally speaking, I think we load up on corner to get the best players out there. We get the 2nd SS to make Greene have to compete. 2 LB's to upgrade the position, Dalton QBotF, O'Dowd to address aging interior, Jordan bc he is a beast.

Comment

• I really dislike Wilson and O'Dowd. The rest are very solid football players and Marsh is kind of boom/bust. I don't understand, though, the idea of getting a SS to compete with Greene while letting Carey rot at FS.

Comment

• Let me clarify. I think Greene can be a solid free safety if we get the FS situation cleared up. So why pick up another SS? Mel Tucker has already stated they want to play a more aggressive defense, with more press (I think that's what I heard in the interview). There are 2 corner backs in the mock. The general idea I had is this, pick the best 3 DB's in general and put them out there. I think Tucker wants to have the true roving FS, which I think most corner can accomplish and I think he wants the SS to press the attack. This is obviously speculation, but its what I think. The reason for another SS is that, like the QB situation when Leftwich and Garrard dueled, the better of the 2 players will play, and I think Greene has another level, which will only help the secondary. There's no way Carey starts back there again.

Also, this mock could drastically change if the CBA gets done before the draft.

Finally, what's wrong with Wilson? I think he could grow into the MLB spot and make the middle of the defense extremely strong. He seems to be a downhill player.

I admit, I put O'Dowd there bc I was just trying to fill the spot and a Center looked good.

Comment

• Wilson's probably more of an SAM than a real 4-3 MIKE.

Comment

• And why do you think that? He's got the size to engage the point, the speed to flow sideline to sidelines, good enough tackling skills and flows downhill. I think he would be a perfect MLB. Also, you want size in the middle, because, well, thats where its biggest.

Comment

• He gets washed too easy and lets blockers get into his body too much. Love his size, but if you can't get off blocks, you shouldn't be a MIKE.

Comment

• If thats true, then its an extremely valid point. MLB will have to deal w/ OLmen much more frequently. Also, this applies to every LB, they cannot over pursue and get knocked out of the play. This will be something I have to look at. Potentially, he could still be an OLB, for the sheer fact that Daryl is a beast wherever he lines up.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Linebacker View Post
                            And why do you think that? He's got the size to engage the point, the speed to flow sideline to sidelines, good enough tackling skills and flows downhill. I think he would be a perfect MLB. Also, you want size in the middle, because, well, thats where its biggest.
                            I don't see many positives other than triangle numbers. Give me the guy who doesn't have the triangle numbers but is a better football player (Greg Jones).

Comment

• True, true. Haven't heard much about him (Wilson) either. I wouldn't hate on Greg Jones either. I'm just getting more and more of a feeling that GM Gene is gonna go to left field for this one. Potentially stocking up on corners and letting them duke it out, with the FS coming from that group. Same with LB.

Comment

• My Jags Mock Draft:

(16) DE Cameron Jordan
                                (49) OLB Bruce Carter
                                (80) QB Andy Dalton
                                (114) C Stefen Wisniewski
                                (121) S Tyler Sash
                                (147) CB Shareece Wright
                                (182) S Jeron Johnson

Thanks BoneKrusher
                                IN SHAD WE TRUST