Ideal Mock Draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USAF Chief View Post
    What makes Willis any more of a "necessity" than a CB? According to our current roster we are fine at MLB and LB in general is probably one of our strongest areas to be honest.

CB's like Houston don't come around often and can be game changers on defense. True it's not our most pressing need, but in the event a star corner fell to us, I wouldn't turn him down to reach for a player of need.

Law/Surtain are going to be on a steep decline shortly and we'll need young talent at corner and we gotta get someone first day to compete.

If we pick any combination of CB/DT/LT/WR in the first day I'll be happy most likely.

Im also a fan of trading LJ for an additional first round pick. 4 first day picks equals potentially all 4 of those positions being filled.

Trade Trent and we get more cap room and space to sign a project player that could do big things (someone like Jacoby Jones or Yamon Figurs)

Later.
    I can see your point, I think philosophers call it an utilitarian argument, trade one for many, so many can benefit.
    Ok, but one, LJ is the center peice of our offense. He's a big, tough strong runner. I personally think that McGahee is none of that. What I like about Willis is not only is he a stud MLB, but he's also a good character guy. Something you don't see too often(watch he's caught smoking crack or something while I write this eh?).

I agree that stud CB's don't come around too often(I saw some clips of Chris Houston just ripping apart of Wide Reciever and got chills), but I would argue that John Wade could be a stud cornerback and would start in the first season. With Kawika Mitchell leaving, Our Linebacking core would be set for years to come with picking Willis up(Bell, Willis and Johnson)

I think your right, in the end, you need to go with the BPA. You don't want to pass up a guy who can definately change the game.Also, Herm can draft well. Lastly, I don't see him drafting a WR too high either. He's pretty high on Jeff Webb( can anyone tell me what they think about him?). So if we go Defense first round, LT second, that's the start of a fantastic draft to me.
    hate him back, it works for me.

Comment

But I don't think we need to spend a 1st round pick right now on a position like MLB because although we have been talking about no more FA band-aids I think we could easily bring in a Donnie Edwards (a veteran with a TON of experience in all types of defense and a great MLB) who could be kept on in the event we draft a MLB next year because they will surely need taught.

LJ is the center of our offense, but the fact of the matter is that with another 350-400 carry season, he's going to be done. Why not trade him now while he still has value and get a great young player for him? I think we can find a 1200-1400 yard rusher early in day 2 or thru FA that will work. If you think about it we'll have more options next year with a young WR, and possibly a few other WRs (Webb, Hannon) so the gameplan **potentially** will not be "LJ to the Left, LJ to the Right, LJ Up the Middle"

If you look at history, STUD CB's change a defense. They are able to provide great coverage and good tackling but what they really bring to the table are those moments when they are able to provide the game changing interceptions. Look at Champ Bailey and Chris McAlister for example. They are vital to their team(s) success.

I'm one of the guys willing to take one for the team and would give up a star at one position to get 4 guys who can produce because the overall team would be better.

Later.

Comment

Originally posted by USAF Chief View Post
        But I don't think we need to spend a 1st round pick right now on a position like MLB because although we have been talking about no more FA band-aids I think we could easily bring in a Donnie Edwards (a veteran with a TON of experience in all types of defense and a great MLB) who could be kept on in the event we draft a MLB next year because they will surely need taught.

LJ is the center of our offense, but the fact of the matter is that with another 350-400 carry season, he's going to be done. Why not trade him now while he still has value and get a great young player for him? I think we can find a 1200-1400 yard rusher early in day 2 or thru FA that will work. If you think about it we'll have more options next year with a young WR, and possibly a few other WRs (Webb, Hannon) so the gameplan **potentially** will not be "LJ to the Left, LJ to the Right, LJ Up the Middle"

If you look at history, STUD CB's change a defense. They are able to provide great coverage and good tackling but what they really bring to the table are those moments when they are able to provide the game changing interceptions. Look at Champ Bailey and Chris McAlister for example. They are vital to their team(s) success.

I'm one of the guys willing to take one for the team and would give up a star at one position to get 4 guys who can produce because the overall team would be better.

Later.
        I think you and Herm are are a bit to optimistic. Like you said earlier if this year is a "rebuilding" then why overpay an old LB when we have somewhat adequete replacements. Name one 2nd day RB who got 1200-1400 yards his 1st year or a FA that you think can get those yards with our line??? If Herm really like Webb so much and he has the potential to be a #1 reciever why didn't he get jack for playing time? Was Hannon ever even called up last year? There is NOT an exact science to drafting. I'm sure even Herm has drafted bust. DeWayne Robertson isn't a bust, but he definitely hasn't lived up to his pick. The Croyle pick right now doesn't look like such a great pick. Not everyone of his picks are going to be able to come in produce especially not right away.
        Jamaal Charles is the best RB in the NFL

Comment

I like the idea of going CB/WR first round: Meachem, Bowe, Jarrett, Houston, Revis, Ross.
          2nd round get Ugoh or Staley if neither available then go for Mebane or Mcbean
          3rd round a wr like allison, baker, paul williams, stuckey, jones or a OT if we haven't gotten one like Henderson or Marten
          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ho0k Em' View Post
            I think you and Herm are are a bit to optimistic. Like you said earlier if this year is a "rebuilding" then why overpay an old LB when we have somewhat adequete replacements. Name one 2nd day RB who got 1200-1400 yards his 1st year or a FA that you think can get those yards with our line??? If Herm really like Webb so much and he has the potential to be a #1 reciever why didn't he get jack for playing time? Was Hannon ever even called up last year? There is NOT an exact science to drafting. I'm sure even Herm has drafted bust. DeWayne Robertson isn't a bust, but he definitely hasn't lived up to his pick. The Croyle pick right now doesn't look like such a great pick. Not everyone of his picks are going to be able to come in produce especially not right away.
            I agree with that. Herm Edwards is not a perfect drafter. Our draft last year was one of the greatest in recent KC history. In the year-end press conference, Herm said he expects Webb to be a dynamic reciever next season. As for Croyle, No one really knows. I haven't read anywhere that speculates that he's going to suck. I thought his big problem coming out of high school is that he gets injured alot, a thing that can be quickly remedied by Strength Training, etc. But other than that, he has all the tools to be a really good QB.
            Also, Was LJ even out for a game this year? IF that's true why wouldn't you expect LJ to keep going at that pace? I haven't looked at the Bills OLine, but I think I can assume it's alot better than ours and he still didn't churn out the yards like LJ did.
            Yes, a STUD CB can change the game, but so can any position. Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas, Champ Bailey, all studs who can literally take over a game. Look at the bears the Mr. Brian Urlacher. Who would you take if they were draft picks...Champ Bailey, or Brian Urlacher? Personally, I would take Urlacher.
            So Hook' em. What would you do? Would you trade LJ for a potentially four starters?

Comment

Originally posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
              I agree with that. Herm Edwards is not a perfect drafter. Our draft last year was one of the greatest in recent KC history. In the year-end press conference, Herm said he expects Webb to be a dynamic reciever next season. As for Croyle, No one really knows. I haven't read anywhere that speculates that he's going to suck. I thought his big problem coming out of high school is that he gets injured alot, a thing that can be quickly remedied by Strength Training, etc. But other than that, he has all the tools to be a really good QB.
              Also, Was LJ even out for a game this year? IF that's true why wouldn't you expect LJ to keep going at that pace? I haven't looked at the Bills OLine, but I think I can assume it's alot better than ours and he still didn't churn out the yards like LJ did.
              Yes, a STUD CB can change the game, but so can any position. Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas, Champ Bailey, all studs who can literally take over a game. Look at the bears the Mr. Brian Urlacher. Who would you take if they were draft picks...Champ Bailey, or Brian Urlacher? Personally, I would take Urlacher.
              So Hook' em. What would you do? Would you trade LJ for a potentially four starters?
              I was never a fan of Croyle coming out of college. I always saw him as more of a game manager than a player that can win games for you. He has decent accuracy and good arm strength, but not necessarily a good deep ball. Until he does at least something to somewhat show he he can be player in this league my opinion is going to be the same. In the past it shows that after RB's have a 400+ carry yard season their production drops which is probably what he's baseing it off of. POTENTIAL is the main word there. We could probably get a 1st, a mid rounder this year, and maybe a mid rounder next year. So i'll say 3 instead of 4, and chances are only 2 of them will be starters and we'll be lucky if one is a star. LJ is an elite player in this league, the best player on our team, and the 2nd best player in the league. No I would not trade him for a 1st rounder and a a couple mid-rounders.

Comment

I was never a fan of Croyle coming out of college. I always saw him as more of a game manager than a player that can win games for you. He has decent accuracy and good arm strength, but not necessarily a good deep ball. Until he does at least something to somewhat show he he can be player in this league my opinion is going to be the same. In the past it shows that after RB's have a 400+ carry yard season their production drops which is probably what he's baseing it off of. POTENTIAL is the main word there. We could probably get a 1st, a mid rounder this year, and maybe a mid rounder next year. So i'll say 3 instead of 4, and chances are only 2 of them will be starters and we'll be lucky if one is a star. LJ is an elite player in this league, the best player on our team, and the 2nd best player in the league. No I would not trade him for a 1st rounder and a a couple mid-rounders.
                I think that is why Green and Herm don't see Eye-to-eye offensively. Green prospered in a system where it was normal to chuck it 40 yards downfield. Herm wants clock control, short passes, run,run,run. I don't really see Herm trading LJ away. RB's production drops after a 400+ carry season, So I think if we were to trade out LJ, now would be the time. However, this could be resolved by a dual-back system for a power-running clock control offense, but that leaves another quandry...LJ don't like to share the rock.
                If we did trade LJ away. The only guy I see Herm drafting in terms of Running backs is Michael Bush, who is probably a second rounder and just got off an injury that took him out for the season(but when he played he was unbelievable). So trade the Bills their first round pick for LJ, then:
                1a: Amobi Okoye
                1b-->Trade down w/ SD for first and third(approx. the same), Pat Willis
                2-->Michael Bush
                3a-->Johnathan Wade
                3b-->BPAWR

Comment

Originally posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
                  I think that is why Green and Herm don't see Eye-to-eye offensively. Green prospered in a system where it was normal to chuck it 40 yards downfield. Herm wants clock control, short passes, run,run,run. I don't really see Herm trading LJ away. RB's production drops after a 400+ carry season, So I think if we were to trade out LJ, now would be the time. However, this could be resolved by a dual-back system for a power-running clock control offense, but that leaves another quandry...LJ don't like to share the rock.
                  If we did trade LJ away. The only guy I see Herm drafting in terms of Running backs is Michael Bush, who is probably a second rounder and just got off an injury that took him out for the season(but when he played he was unbelievable). So trade the Bills their first round pick for LJ, then:
                  1a: Amobi Okoye
                  1b-->Trade down w/ SD for first and third(approx. the same), Pat Willis
                  2-->Michael Bush
                  3a-->Johnathan Wade
                  3b-->BPAWR
                  Idk why you think Herm would only draft Micheal Bush. We traded for Bennet so that leaves me 2 believe he doesn't necessarily need 2 power backs. Also I we'd be lucky to get P-Willie at 23 let alone 30.

Comment

Idk why you think Herm would only draft Micheal Bush. We traded for Bennet so that leaves me 2 believe he doesn't necessarily need 2 power backs. Also I we'd be lucky to get P-Willie at 23 let alone 30.
                    Really? That'd be sweet if he was there(NFLDC has him going #26, willis). I'd think Willis OR Houston will be there at twenty-three. Who's the teams that need a MLB?
                    Also, Bennet was a pro-bowler in Minnesota of all places....worth the risk of a fourth round pick IMHO.

Also, I think he's committed to building a stellar defense, so using that first pick would be on a position that would help develop a pass rush. Also, Michael bush is like 240 pounds, pretty close to LJ in terms of weight(230), I figure if your going to trade away a player like that, you should get a guy who is a similar type of player. The question is...will he be available in round two when we pick?

Comment

What about Darrelle Revis?can he fit a Cover 2 scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                        What about Darrelle Revis?can he fit a Cover 2 scheme?
                        One good thing about the Cover 2, is that you don't need big time CB's to be in it. Revis would be an awesome pick up too.
                        I think he'll be gone by the time we pick at 23. If we had the twelvfth(sp) pick, I would bet my car that we'd pick Amobi. Also, if Willis is gone(which you don't know, he's projected to be right around that area), I think we should go Robert Meachem.

Comment

If any of the following CB's were at 23 then we should grab them

Chris Houston
                          Darrelle Revis
                          Leon Hall(his combine might have helped his once falling stock though)

Comment

Yea, I don't know why, but I think Leon Hall is a younger version of Ty Law. I would agree with you, assuming Kawika Mitchell leaves. Johnathan Wade is underrated as far as i'm concerned(of which I have no basis)

Comment

Seeing as how the Chiefs are supposedly calling around trying to trade Trent, I'd:

Trade Trent and Eric Hicks to the Dolphins for a 4th round pick and Manuel Wright.

Then I'd trade Greg Wesley and Dante Hall to the Titans for Albert Haynesworth and 6th round pick.

Then in the draft I'd go:

R1. Robert Meachem - WR out of UT
                              R2. Johnathan Wade - CB out of UT
                              R3. Tarell Brown - CB out of Texas
                              R4. Doug Free - OT out of NIU
                              R5. Mkristo Bruce - DE out of Washington State
                              R6. Xzavie Jackson - DE out of Mizzou
                              R6. Legedu Naanee - WR out of Boise State
                              R7. Dustin Fry - C out of Clemson

Although I do like the idea of trading LJ to the Giants for their #20 overall pick and Jacobs. Then using the #20 and #23 pick to move up into the top 10 to take Branch.
                              Last edited by KaneMarko; 03-05-2007, 01:02 PM.

Comment

That doesn't sound too bad. I think Wade in the second round is a little bit high for him. Also, why two CB's in the first day? I don't think we'd build for depth especially with all the holes. Also, two DE's? I'd think DT would be more of a need but perhaps those guys' can play both. Also, who's goign to come in if Kawika M. Leaves? You must think KC is going to get Napoleon Harris.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information