Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projected depth chart/needs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Projected depth chart/needs

    With the influx of exciting young talent, what do you think the final 53-man roster for the Kansas City Chiefs will be? And some needs to be addressed?

    Post your thoughts here.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

  • #2
    Like I posted in another thread, I think our biggest needs are at multiple positions, but if Brodie struggles, it'll definitely be at QB, and depending on how our oline/dline play, we might need some help there as well. Right now, our biggest needs (imo) are as follows:

    1) Defensive and Offensive lines: We did draft Albert and Dorsey, but neither are on the field yet. We'll have to wait until next year to see how these lines shape up, but these are some trouble spots.

    2) LB corp: Donnie is up there in age and the spot opposite DJ isn't secure by any means, so we'll need some help at MLB sooner rather than later.

    3) If Croyle struggles, QB is a MAJOR need. We need a franchise signal caller. I believe it can be Croyle, if he's not throwing from his back. I guess we'll get to see if it's true this year.

    4) WR: You can never have too much receiver talent. Bowe turned out to be a stud, and the Franklin pick this year was a great pick, but another viable target (perhaps Franklin in the slot, a 2nd option) wouldn't hurt.

    Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
      Like I posted in another thread, I think our biggest needs are at multiple positions, but if Brodie struggles, it'll definitely be at QB, and depending on how our oline/dline play, we might need some help there as well. Right now, our biggest needs (imo) are as follows:

      1) Defensive and Offensive lines: We did draft Albert and Dorsey, but neither are on the field yet. We'll have to wait until next year to see how these lines shape up, but these are some trouble spots.

      2) LB corp: Donnie is up there in age and the spot opposite DJ isn't secure by any means, so we'll need some help at MLB sooner rather than later.

      3) If Croyle struggles, QB is a MAJOR need. We need a franchise signal caller. I believe it can be Croyle, if he's not throwing from his back. I guess we'll get to see if it's true this year.

      4) WR: You can never have too much receiver talent. Bowe turned out to be a stud, and the Franklin pick this year was a great pick, but another viable target (perhaps Franklin in the slot, a 2nd option) wouldn't hurt.
      I agree with you, I think our defensive line will be really good, assuming we have a top ten pass rush, I wouldn't put that as a top priority, perhaps a Big Time Guard to replace Smith(from the jets, I 'm not sure if I have the right name).

      By the end of next season, I would say we will need a replacment for Allen, but I'm hoping Johnston comes in and surprises a lot of people, Herm said that on the red zone last week, "He doesn't have pads on, but he might surprise you" but if not, I think that should be our first pick overall.

      Then I think in R2, I'd find a big ol' punishing guard. Let's assume Croyle is an average starter(I like to think he's the next coming of Montana, but let's be realistic) all he needs to do is hand the ball off and have the D give him a ride.(ala Alabama)

      I think Donnie still has at least this year in the tank, and hopefully Napoleon Harris will become a more consistent MLB(apparently he was amazing in the first 8 games), I think Demorrio is Donnie's replacement.

      This is why I'm excited for next season, there are a lot of "if's", like "If Croyle doesn't become a good starter, we'll probably draft a lot higher and pick up Tebow(or whoever). Or "if" Croyle is decent, and we lose a big portion of our pass rush, That'll be our biggest need, or "if" Laurinitis is available by the time we pick(which I think we will be 6-10, so probably we are picking at the lower end of the top ten.)
      Last edited by Hermstheman83; 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM. Reason: more thoughts, grammar?
      hate him back, it works for me.

      Comment


      • #4
        How has Brandon Flowers played for you guys? He was truly lockdown in college.
        Virginia Tech.
        ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

        Next Up: 2012

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
          How has Brandon Flowers played for you guys? He was truly lockdown in college.
          He has been solid to good so far this season. Yesterday he recorded two interceptions of Brett Favre and took one to the house. The first one was kind of a gimme, Favre overthrew his receiver bad. Second was due to receiver stupidity, but he still came up big and took it back. Definitely one of the guys you look at with "game speed" imo.

          As of right now, everything you want a rookie corner to be. Him and Carr have both been very impressive thus far and will only continue to get better.

          Originally posted by fenikz
          His soft D really turns me off
          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

          Comment


          • #6
            Was talking to a few buddies of mine about our biggest needs and we sort of laid out a very (VERY) early needs list. Take one glance at our record (2-14) and it would seem like we need a LOT when, in my opinion, we need little.

            Defensive End - This one is a no brainer. We can't pressure the QB since JA was traded.

            Linebacker - We need another OLB and a MLB to team up with DJ. Donnie Edwards isn't getting any younger.

            OL - We need a RT and possibly a RG. A Center wouldn't be bad because we could move Niswanger to RG. RT is still a MAJOR need.

            WR - I like Bowe and Bradley and Franklin isn't bad but another big time playmaker wouldn't hurt.

            QB - If the new gm/coaching staff doesn't feel that Thigpen is the answer, we need to address this early. Please god let it be Stafford and not Bradford.

            I like our DBs (Pollard, Page, Flowers, Carr and Leggett) and DJ / Hali, Dorsey and Tyler are solid to good as well, but we could really use the biggest help at DE/LB.

            That was a lot of rambling but it's 1am so sue me!

            Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
              Was talking to a few buddies of mine about our biggest needs and we sort of laid out a very (VERY) early needs list. Take one glance at our record (2-14) and it would seem like we need a LOT when, in my opinion, we need little.

              Defensive End - This one is a no brainer. We can't pressure the QB since JA was traded.

              Linebacker - We need another OLB and a MLB to team up with DJ. Donnie Edwards isn't getting any younger.

              OL - We need a RT and possibly a RG. A Center wouldn't be bad because we could move Niswanger to RG. RT is still a MAJOR need.

              WR - I like Bowe and Bradley and Franklin isn't bad but another big time playmaker wouldn't hurt.

              QB - If the new gm/coaching staff doesn't feel that Thigpen is the answer, we need to address this early. Please god let it be Stafford and not Bradford.

              I like our DBs (Pollard, Page, Flowers, Carr and Leggett) and DJ / Hali, Dorsey and Tyler are solid to good as well, but we could really use the biggest help at DE/LB.

              That was a lot of rambling but it's 1am so sue me!
              Defensive end should be priority number one for us via the draft. the more I look at Orakpo the more I love the guy! I think we take him at #3, and that will definately put us in the right direction with our pass rush.

              I think we only need a middle linebacker, when Demorrio was healthy, he had some pretty big games. I'd love to have JL in the second round(I like him too)but I don't think he'll slip out of the first, and we definately need to address our offensive line. I think if we picked up a MLB in the third round...it's pretty deep for MLB's this year.

              I think we can address the line through Free Agency with Gross from carolina. They said they are going to franchise Peppers, so perhaps they won't be able to afford the guy? So Gross and draft a RG in the second round...That looks like a beefed up line. I think if we traded LJ, we could get a third or fourth rounder.

              I don't think Thiggy's the answer, I don't think he can play in a conventional offense. BUT to me, he deserves another year to prove himself. That being said, if the Lions don't take stafford, we could take him and let him sit for a year, which would help him out since he's only a junior and instead of Orakpo, Pay Terrell Suggs a few bucks to have him play for KC.

              I'm getting my head shaved because I thought KC would win more than Five games this year, and I still think we're not as bad asa lot of pundits say......
              hate him back, it works for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                At this point we still need improvements on the roster, but in general we seem to have our biggest hole at one of the outside LB positions in the 3-4. Do they really think Hali or McBride can play outside LB? I think you've got solid starters with Johnson and Thomas inside, and Vrabel at one of the outside positions.
                Pioli Will Lead, I Will Follow!

                Custom Promotional Products | Personalized Tote Bags

                Comment


                • #9
                  They're not worried about that one right now. And Andy Studebaker is the one who'd fill it at this point.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It sounds like we might be players for Leon Hill now that Seattle has removed the franchise tag. That would be a coup since he would only be available since we didn't draft Curry. Don't know though if we get him as quite a few teams will be on him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Why have they not looked at Derrick Brooks? Did he just get too old?
                      Pioli Will Lead, I Will Follow!

                      Custom Promotional Products | Personalized Tote Bags

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nepg View Post
                        They're not worried about that one right now. And Andy Studebaker is the one who'd fill it at this point.
                        Really? Is that just a guess or do you have some insight into this?
                        Pioli Will Lead, I Will Follow!

                        Custom Promotional Products | Personalized Tote Bags

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm hoping Tank can play the NT in our 3-4 looks or I'm not sure our 3-4 will be very successful.

                          Originally posted by fenikz
                          His soft D really turns me off
                          ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Personally would like to see Johnston from last year get a shot at one of the outside linebacker spots. Vrabel-DJ-Thomas-Johnston while not ideal may be enough to not let QBs sleep in the pocket.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Oh, I'm sure Pioli loves Johnston. He's super-versatile. He can be a pass rusher or run stuffer (not both at the same time) for the Chiefs in whatever defense they want to run. I was fairly impressed with him late in 2008. My guess is that he's a DE in a 3-4, though.

                              The Chiefs really just need to add some pass rushers, and they'll be good defensively.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information