The 3-4 Debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
    Why should they stick with the 4-3? The Defense sucks already, so it's not like they'll be losing a lot by making the plunge, the GM has always built a 3-4 D and knows how to do it quite well and the Head Coach has primarily been associated with teams that have also ran a 3-4.

I think as long as you can comfortably find a place for Dorsey in the 3-4, make the change. Regardless of the scheme, a lot of the front 7 will have to be completely rebuilt.

Romeo Crennel has experience making the transition over and he and Pioli know each other very well.
    And we haven't hired a DC yet so all of this is speculation and kind of pointless!

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

We're built for the 4-3, Tamba won't cut it as either a 34 DE or an OLB. Tank is a tweener when you think of the 34, we're not as bad as you guys' say we are. We put Glen Dorsey, the closest thing to a prototypical 3 gap Defensive Tackle as a 1 gap, take on all comers DT. stupid if you ask me. Our run defense improved(yea, it still sucked) but keep in mind that we were hit so hard with injuries that we had Rocky Boiman and Babin starting for us!
      hate him back, it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
        And we haven't hired a DC yet so all of this is speculation and kind of pointless!
        Not a whole lot of earth shattering news going on right now, so speculation as good as it gets. :/ Ugh offseason.

Right now this Defense really isn't built and primed to run any scheme.
        Currently on IR: Rip 2011 Jamaal Charles :(

Comment

I could see the Chiefs slowly start switching over to a 3-4 but sticking with a 4-3 base for the next year or two. They just don't have the personnel to make the switch this year. Most of the D-Line doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme, and I don't see Hali as a good enough athlete to switch to a 3-4 OLB.

I could see the Chiefs using a pick or two to start bringing in 3-4 personnel if that is the path they choose to take.

Comment

Does not look like it will happen with the recent signings for coaches. For that I am damn happy. I do love the hires and think the coaching staff, front office moves sre steps in the right direction. Lets see if it can continue through the draft and with FA signings!
            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I felt Dorsey would be a solid 3-4 NT going into the 2008 draft, but aside from Edwards, no other DLs or LBs fit into that kind of defense at all...
              ________
              Chase_taylor cam
              Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

"Breaking News" on NFL Network: Adam Schefter reporting the Chiefs ARE switching to a 3-4 defense.

Unsure what that means but we'll see.

Comment

oh goddddddddddddd

trade dorsey for a mid to late round 1st? but his ****** yer wont help his value

wtffff i am going awol

EFFING A!
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Is it 100% sure that he can't play the 3-4 NT? Maybe, maybe not. That being said, our LB corp sucks bad so we definitely need to upgrade there. Curry round 1, Larry English round 2?!

Comment

NFL network reports Chiefs are switching to the 3-4.

Like the Broncos, you guys will need some work. I think DJ, Pollard, Page (if he stays), Carr/Flowers will work out in the 3-4. However, I'm not a huge fan of Dorsey or Hali in the 3-4. You guys will get there. Heck, you might just suprise some people.
                      INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
                        NFL network reports Chiefs are switching to the 3-4.

Like the Broncos, you guys will need some work. I think DJ, Pollard, Page (if he stays), Carr/Flowers will work out in the 3-4. However, I'm not a huge fan of Dorsey or Hali in the 3-4. You guys will get there. Heck, you might just suprise some people.
                        I wouldn't mind seeing a hybrid. :) Wishful thinking.

I like the coaching staff they put together and I trust the decisions being made. I may not like them but I trust them.

Comment

I had Dorsey projected as someone who could play NT in a 3-4. But it's the rest of the DL that they'll have problems with. Very undersized.

Brian Johnston can bulk back up to his pre-draft weight, and he'd be a good DE, Turk and Tank would be short DEs, Boone might be able to hold his own at NT, Ron Edwards can play DE, Hali doesn't fit at all... Overall, they're very-much on the short side.

For LB's, Babin, Gilberry, and Studebaker are 3-4 OLBs (not starters). Edwards and DJ are the only guys I'd trust at ILB (and DJ only because he's a star LB).

My thinking for the switch is that the Chiefs think they can get Julius Peppers. It will take a bit of work to get the defensive line updated to where it needs to be to run a 3-4. I'm confident in Dorsey being able to play the nose. Maybe they're thinking Tyson Jackson or Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd round (or both?), and maybe Zach Potter later?

Going 3-4 cripples their ability to get a lot better very quickly, but it could work out for them...
                          ________
                          ZOLOFT LAWSUIT
                          Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

More wood on the 3-4 fire.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...and-notes.html

"A source close to Romeo Crennel said Tuesday night the former Cleveland head coach and former New England defensive coordinator is not close to joining the Kansas City staff as a defensive coordinator. It is possible, at some point, the source said, that Crennel could join former New England colleague Scott Pioli as a defensive consultant."

Comment

Interesting. You could probably pack a few pounds on McBride, Johnston, and Gilberry and they would have adequate size for a 3-4 DE, but I just don't see any true 3-4 DEs or NTs. I personally don't think Dorsey fits this scheme. What I saw when we drafted him is that he should be put in a gap and allowed to penetrate. I don't see him as being able to command 2-3 blockers every play as a 3-4 down lineman.

I also don't see Tamba Hali fitting in here, and I don't know if these defensive ends that the Chiefs have are athletic enough to be 3-4 linebackers. I would say Donnie Edwards needs to be healthy since he has experience in this system, and I think Derrick Johnson is athletic enough to play the scheme, although I worry about his already shaky consistency.

I'm not sure who Studebacker is, and I don't know where Tank Tyler fits in, although he may have to play the nose until they can find a more suitable one. We got a ton of linebackers and I'm not sure where they fit in, although I do hope this kills the Pollard to LB stuff, since he is most definitely not a 3-4 linebacker. This is a headscratcher, but I'm interested.

Comment

Studebaker projected as a possible 3-4 prospect coming out of college. He's bounced around the league a bit. Again, he's a backup...

Dorsey is certainly able to play the nose. The main ingredients are base and strength. Dorsey is super strong, and has a great base. The only real question with the guy is whether he can get and stay healthy...

Haven't heard the Pollard to LB talks... If they're true, I still wouldn't rule them out. The Pats have been toying with the idea of developing a safety into a 3-4 LB for a few years now. They just about had Tank Williams ready to go last off-season, but he got injured.

The Chiefs would have a lot of work to do to convert to a 3-4, but I'm guessing they're just moving to a 3-4 base, and will switch it up quite a bit.
                                ________
                                Bondage Webcams
                                Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information