The 3-4 Debate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3-4 Debate

There has been alot of talk from fans and media about the Chiefs maybe going to a 3-4 D I would like to get your thoughts on the matter?

I'm not going to sit here and say if they will or won't non of us can really know 100% but here are my thoughts.

I didn't like the idea at first since we don't really have the players (on paper) to make the switch but the more I think about it the more I like it.

You could argue we don't have the players to run a successful 4-3 either I don't have to bring up stats every one knows how bad our D was.

My thing is if we are going to do it this would be the best year for it since we have so much cap room and so many early picks in the draft.

The biggest two question marks players wise from the roster we have right now are Dorsey and Hail.

We all know Dorsey would not be a good fit at NT but could he move to DE and make plays or would he be lost?

A even bigger question make in my mind is Hali what would they do with him I'm not ready to give up on him but I feel he can't play DE in a 3-4 and I'm not sure he is athletic enough to play LB?

I don't think we could just completely go all out 3-4 in one off season but I do feel we could play a hybrid 3-4 4-3 mix and slowly over time make the full jump.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Splat; 02-07-2009, 06:35 PM.

imo it really depends on how good Dorsey is. We drafted him 5th overall last year and paid him a buttload of money.. is that all wasted? Can he play a 3-4 DE? I'm not sure.

DJ would be great in the 3-4, I think Demorrio Williams would be good too, he has speed.. but the rest? And what about our DBs? I think they'll be better if we get pressure, but if this is something we want to do we should decide it sooner rather than later because that #3 pick is looking mighty sweet with Curry, Orakpo, Brown etc on the board.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I got to thinking if we do go 3-4 I could see Donnie Edwards staying on one more year SP likes vets any ways.

OLB Williams
      MLB Edwards
      MLB Johnson
      OLB Curry

Thats pretty sick.

Comment

Even more than the question of the current roster's ability to play in a 3-4 front (which, I must say doesn't look particularly good) is whether the Chiefs can afford to ignore adding to that offense and spend almost all their 2009 draft picks on guys to make the transition possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
          Even more than the question of the current roster's ability to play in a 3-4 front (which, I must say doesn't look particularly good) is whether the Chiefs can afford to ignore adding to that offense and spend almost all their 2009 draft picks on guys to make the transition possible.
          I don't think the Chiefs O is in that bad of shape top ten no but with some tweaking of the OL they can be middle of the pack IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
            I don't think the Chiefs O is in that bad of shape top ten no but with some tweaking of the OL they can be middle of the pack IMO.
            I'd say the team is at least short a quarterback (and whether they draft one or trade for Cassell, that will cost at least one draft pick) and a #2 wide receiver along with some offensive line. They certainly aren't in a state that I would say the offense could go a year without drafting some good young talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              I'd say the team is at least short a quarterback (and whether they draft one or trade for Cassell, that will cost at least one draft pick) and a #2 wide receiver along with some offensive line. They certainly aren't in a state that I would say the offense could go a year without drafting some good young talent.
              I agree they will have to draft some O but like I said in my post above switching to a 3-4 will take more the one off season but they can start the building process now.

I for one still have high hopes for Tyler Thigpen and the Chiefs do have talent at WR but it is young talent I look for them to grab a vet WR and RT or RG in FA.

Comment

I dont see how Demorrio Williams would play OLB in a 3-4. blah. He might not be all that great but, Babin is the better fit, given his size. Even though, he wasnt amazing there when he played for Houston. Is he still under contract?

You guys dont have good personnel to make that transition...it may very well happen, though. But, it's not a good fit...especially along the D-Line...where you have Hali who is too small to play 3-4 end and not a good OLB candidate either. Both Tank and Dorsey are in the same boat...similar size, both had been talked about as possible 3-4 NTs back in the day but, neither is ideal and I wouldnt want either at end...that would have to be Dorsey, making that move more than likely, though. It doesnt look good at all.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                  You guys dont have good personnel to make that transition...it may very well happen, though. But, it's not a good fit...especially along the D-Line...where you have Hali who is too small to play 3-4 end and not a good OLB candidate either. Both Tank and Dorsey are in the same boat...similar size, both had been talked about as possible 3-4 NTs back in the day but, neither is ideal and I wouldnt want either at end...that would have to be Dorsey, making that move more than likely, though. It doesnt look good at all.

I never heard Dorsey and 3-4 NT used in the same sentence once unless that sentence was Glenn Dorsey is not a 3-4 NT.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                    I never heard Dorsey and 3-4 NT used in the same sentence once unless that sentence was Glenn Dorsey is not a 3-4 NT.
                    There was a reason some thought he'd go to Miami. There were a number of scouts that said, he could realistically play the nose in a bit of a modified 3-4. Like a Jay Ratliff. Obviously, he is much better suited as that 3 technqiue DT but, there were people out there that believed he could play NT effectively in a 3-4. I even said he's not ideal at all and Tank would more than likely get the nod but, Dorsey and the 3-4 has been discussed before.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

There was a reason some thought he'd go to Miami. There were a number of scouts that said, he could realistically play the nose in a bit of a modified 3-4. Like a Jay Ratliff. Obviously, he is much better suited as that 3 technqiue DT but, there were people out there that believed he could play NT effectively in a 3-4. I even said he's not ideal at all and Tank would more than likely get the nod but, Dorsey and the 3-4 has been discussed before.
                      If anyone had him pegged to go to Miami, it was because they viewed him as the best player in the draft, not because he was suited to play the 3-4 nose. Most seemed to have him going to the Falcons before they drafted Matt Ryan.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                        I got to thinking if we do go 3-4 I could see Donnie Edwards staying on one more year SP likes vets any ways.

OLB Williams
                        MLB Edwards
                        MLB Johnson
                        OLB Curry

Thats pretty sick.
                        Curry would play inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Crickett View Post
                          If anyone had him pegged to go to Miami, it was because they viewed him as the best player in the draft, not because he was suited to play the 3-4 nose. Most seemed to have him going to the Falcons before they drafted Matt Ryan.
                          Regardless of where they had him pegged...his name and the 3-4 nose was a common topic last year and many believed he could play it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Regardless of where they had him pegged...his name and the 3-4 nose was a common topic last year and many believed he could play it.
                            I just searched Glenn Dorsey nose. All I found was a bunch of posts talking about how he didn't really fit in the 3-4 and a mock by toonsterwu suggesting that Glenn Dorsey could play the nose in the 4-3 for the Rams.

Comment

ughhhhhhhh.....

Why do you think the Dolphins and Patriots were interested in him so much? Yes many considered him to be the best player in the draft...a main reason why is because, he was a guy who projected well to play multiple positions along the line. Thus, the Dolphins and Pats saw value in a player that could potentially play end or the nose. As long as his "stress fractures" and knee were nothing serious...he was considered to be a cant miss in either defensive scheme. Still much better suited as a three technique 4-3 guy but, fine in any scheme. I dont even know why there is a debate here when, if the Dolphins did draft him #1...it was with the intent of him manning the middle. And at one time, he was the consensus pick for the Dolphins not too far away from the draft. Which means a hell of a lot of people thought he was capable of playing in a 3-4 defense.

and given Dorsey's playing style at the collegiete level and the success of say a guy like Ratliff...seeing Dorsey have success there is much easier today.

With all that being said...i do agree, he is better in the 4-3 and they dont even have the right personell to make such a move...but, this was a highly debated topic last year on here and out there in the real world.

and again...Tyler is better suited there anyway and Dorsey would have to play end. So, this whole thing is more than likely pointless anyway.
                              Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information