Derrick Johnson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derrick Johnson

How is he going to fit in the 3-4? I'm not sure he'd be a good fit, and I was wondering if there was any talk of trading him. I have no interest in him because I'm a Baltimore fan, but I haven't seen much talk about it and was just wondering what was going on.

Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
    How is he going to fit in the 3-4? I'm not sure he'd be a good fit, and I was wondering if there was any talk of trading him. I have no interest in him because I'm a Baltimore fan, but I haven't seen much talk about it and was just wondering what was going on.
    None of really know right now because our FO doesn't say anything. We always seemed to get conflicting reports on Johnson as some loved him and others hated him. I'm not sure though why people don't think he fits into a 3-4. He has very good speed and is good in coverage. He doesn't get through the line as well as we would like, but some of that has to do with a lack of talent up front. It will be interesting to see if Pioli resigns him but I can't see him trading him right now as we probably wouldn't get much for him compared to his value and we are thin at the position.

Comment

Obviously I'm higher on DJ than most (see the sig) but I think he could be great in either ILB or OLB in the 3-4. He's quick, good instincts, one of the only LBs we had last year who could tackle, and he can blitz, he just wasn't given the opportunity.

In my opinion he's the complete package at LB. Hopefully he'll get a chance to show people.

Originally posted by fenikz
      His soft D really turns me off
      ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by vidae-KC View Post
        Obviously I'm higher on DJ than most (see the sig) but I think he could be great in either ILB or OLB in the 3-4. He's quick, good instincts, one of the only LBs we had last year who could tackle, and he can blitz, he just wasn't given the opportunity.

In my opinion he's the complete package at LB. Hopefully he'll get a chance to show people.
        I agree with you partly. He's the definition of sideline-to-sideline Linebacker. He's really good in coverage. His problem(as what his scouting report said also..I'll see if I can find an old scouting report on him) is he's really inconsistent and has a lot of trouble shedding blockers. I think his best position in the 3-4 would be outside LB. You put him inside and he'll have trouble pluggin up the middle. You put him outside you play to his strengths: His Speed and quickness in blitzing, and his ability to cover opposing TE's. If he puts on a little weight, he could be very,very similar to Terrell Suggs IMO. No way he's getting traded. He's still got one year left on his contract right? I don't think they'll re-sign him untill next year, which would be stupid because he could very well blow up next year(then again, we seem to say that every year with him)
        hate him back, it works for me.

Comment

DJ can't play outside in a 3-4. If he's your OLB in a 3-4, you're going to get killed. His only fit is inside.
          ________
          California medical marijuana dispensary
          Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
            I agree with you partly. He's the definition of sideline-to-sideline Linebacker. He's really good in coverage. His problem(as what his scouting report said also..I'll see if I can find an old scouting report on him) is he's really inconsistent and has a lot of trouble shedding blockers. I think his best position in the 3-4 would be outside LB. You put him inside and he'll have trouble pluggin up the middle. You put him outside you play to his strengths: His Speed and quickness in blitzing, and his ability to cover opposing TE's. If he puts on a little weight, he could be very,very similar to Terrell Suggs IMO. No way he's getting traded. He's still got one year left on his contract right? I don't think they'll re-sign him untill next year, which would be stupid because he could very well blow up next year(then again, we seem to say that every year with him)
            One problem with that is that Suggs is great at getting off blocks to rush the passer and defend the run. So good that he can play 4-3 DE, which Johnson undoubtedly cannot. I am really having a hard time believing he can play in a 3-4...

Comment

Johnson will be a good 3-4 ILB. He has not place outside (as most 4-3 OLB's don't).
              ________
              MOTHER NATURES COLLECTIVE RESEDA
              Last edited by nepg; 09-17-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

KC needs to right front 3 for DJ to be successful at ILB. he really can't olb 3-4
                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                  KC needs to right front 3 for DJ to be successful at ILB. he really can't olb 3-4
                  I think Tank Tyler at NT and Hali and Dorsey at 3-4 end is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by coordinator0 View Post
                    I think Tank Tyler at NT and Hali and Dorsey at 3-4 end is pretty good.
                    hali is to small and weak to man a 3-4 DE position..id rather have Boone or Edwards
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I was under the impression that Hali was more of a power end, hmm... Is there any info on his status then lol?

Comment

Nah, I'd put hali in the finesse category when it comes to D-ends. Kinda undersized for that position as well. I think Tank Tyler would fare better than Dorsey at the Nose. Dorsey's a penetrator...so I'm not sure how he's going to fit into our new 3-4 alignment. I hope they don't just do a straight up 3-4 D, like a hybrid style of Defense.

Why would Johnson get killed as an outside LB in the 3-4? As we stated before his strengths were coming off the edge(albiet not as a down lineman) and dropping into coverage. But that dude can be a mad blitzing Linebacker. DT didn't need power to blow past offensive tackles, he had ridiculous athleticism and speed(like our DJ, not that he's even in the league of DT, but there are similar comparisons). Ok, I can see the suggs comparison was off(thanks for clarifying btw).Assuming we draft curry as an ILB along with Vrabel, he'd be our outside guy by last resort right(because Vrabel wouldn't be effective at all outside, he's too old).

Comment

Vrable is two years out of a 12 sack pro bowl season. I'd keep him at OLB

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                            Vrable is two years out of a 12 sack pro bowl season. I'd keep him at OLB
                            Well, he only had 4 sacks last season and has averaged 5 over his entire career.....I wouldn't exactly expect him to be our solution to our pass rushing woes. Although DJ only has averaged 3 sacks over his 4 seasons. He's definately the more athletic and quicker backer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
                              Well, he only had 4 sacks last season and has averaged 5 over his entire career.....I wouldn't exactly expect him to be our solution to our pass rushing woes. Although DJ only has averaged 3 sacks over his 4 seasons. He's definately the more athletic and quicker backer.
                              Vrable was used a lot mre at ILB last season because Adalius Thomas went down. I understand where you're coming from, but that may play moe of a factor than his age.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information