This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
    I don't think you reach for an NT. You either find the right guy, or you develop one. I'm really not worried about the position that much, though. I like how Ron's developed, and Smith was really good all along the DL all year long, too. Obviously, if there's "the right guy" there, then you do it, but it's not a position they should be particularly worried about. Ron's still fairly young and can continue to grow into the position, so they have time on their side.

On defense, they just need to get deeper. When they lost Lewis and McGraw, they were screwed. I don't think they lose to Denver with both of those guys healthy. Tyson Jackson seemed to turn a corner, but we'll see. You can never have too many 3-4 DLs, and there certainly will be some quality options at #21. That's my wager. DL or C (Pouncey?) depending on Wiegmann and the teams before them.
    Smith did not look good at NT. He was much better at DE.

I agree the defense needs depth of talent. We are starting players I think are better suited to be rotation guys. Another factor is youth/inexperience. We are playing Vrable and McGraw because our depth is very green. We started two rookie safeties, an UDFA 2nd year ILB and the first guys off the bench were also rookie or 2nd year UDFA: Arenas, Studebaker, and Gilberry.

J

Ad Super Bowl per Aspera

Comment

• I don't disagree with any particular thing except drafting Pouncey to play Center. I don't like that fit and I think there are better Center prospects this year.

As far as NT goes, there are a few developmental guys who look promising but I don't see a Wilfork type guy, yet. There is still a lot of offseason left so maybe someone will jump out.

Originally posted by fenikz
      His soft D really turns me off
      ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
        Obviously, if there's "the right guy" there, then you do it, but it's not a position they should be particularly worried about.
        They should be to an extent. Edwards isn't the problem, but he ended up getting gassed out down the stretch and it showed in the run D at the end.

A good development NT would be smart to get.
        Currently on IR: Rip 2011 Jamaal Charles :(

Comment

• I think the Chiefs are still in a position where they can draft the best available and they will do well. They could upgrade at offensive line, wide receiver, defensive line, linebacker - as long as they get a pass rusher for the defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by vidae View Post
            I don't disagree with any particular thing except drafting Pouncey to play Center. I don't like that fit and I think there are better Center prospects this year.

As far as NT goes, there are a few developmental guys who look promising but I don't see a Wilfork type guy, yet. There is still a lot of offseason left so maybe someone will jump out.
            I like Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd or late 2nd for a 3-4 team.

That said, vidae, depending on how this whole mike brown/brad childress/carson palmer/bob bratkowski thing goes, can I join you and other chiefs fans :)

bonekrusher
            The Twitters
            themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post

That said, vidae, depending on how this whole mike brown/brad childress/carson palmer/bob bratkowski thing goes, can I join you and other chiefs fans :)
              Of course my man.welcome aboard

Comment

• btw...where the heck is Splat?usually I'm the one who disappears for periods of time haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post

Absolutely! Welcome to Chiefs nation!

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                  btw...where the heck is Splat?usually I'm the one who disappears for periods of time haha
                  idk, I pm'd him a while ago to see if everything was ok but didn't hear back. I hope nothing bad happened.

Originally posted by fenikz
                  His soft D really turns me off
                  ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• maybe they finally got Haley Williams' home address

bonekrusher
                    The Twitters
                    themaninblack

Comment

• is anyone else wondering what the hell is going on with the OC signing? Seriously, we have missed out on most of the big names that would fit our offense. Pretty much we are now left with a faux OC and Haley will be the true OC. Is that what he wanted the whole time? Take the reigns and be more involved with the O? His best year as HC, (i understand he has only had 2) came with a true OC and Haley taking less of a roll in the offense. I really hope Haley doesn't let his ego or offensive backround dominate this hire.

Comment

• They're most likely not going to go with a big name. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't name an OC and just go with Siriani or one of the other assistants as the playcaller and Haley supporting that.

Haley was a pretty damn good playcaller towards the end of 2009, and that offense was dreadfully devoid of talent. The talent level is only a bit better - mainly helped by the OL being good. Still lack receivers.

Comment

• by saying "a big name" i was implying an OC that could call his own plays. at this point, there is about zero % chance that Haley isn't calling the offensive plays next season. it seems to be a fad for offensive minded coaches to call their own plays. Sean Payton won a SB last year and McCarthy is in the SB this year. there is no doubt that Chiefs offense will be much more talented in 2011 than they were in 2009. i think i'm of the opinion that the HC has alot of other things on his plate during the game that calling plays could get in the way of. maybe he's doing what Whisenhunt did in AZ. if i recall, Whis called the plays during Haley's 1st season as OC and then gave him the reigns in year 2. i'm not opposed to something like that. deep down i don't think that will happen. Haley is to controlling about the O to let anyone else have to much control. i do think Haley is a good play caller. i just don't want him sitting on the bench talking to Cassel while the D is out on the field and not paying attention to the game. i specifically remember that happening in almost every game he called in '09

Comment

• I think he could take on the playcalling responsibilities. I mean, look at what he did in arizona without a running game? I think Haley's biggest asset is his ability to call the plays.

I don't think you should give that to another guy. You could have an OC that takes care of the other stuff. I just think you shouldn't take a guy's biggest talents out of the equation.
                            hate him back, it works for me.

Comment

• I like Haley as the playcaller. The coaching staff on this team is vastly superior to the '09 staff, and a lot of the atmosphere changes that took up a lot of Haley's focus are taken care of by the lockerroom they've created.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
                                I mean, look at what he did in arizona without a running game?
                                i'm not completely discounting your point, but he did have a future HoFer at QB and one of the best WR combos in the NFL history, IMO.

Haley is a very good if not great play caller. i know that, but as HC you have different duties. every HC has their hands in a little bit of everything. one the their biggest jobs is selecting the right coaches/assistants around them to make the team become the most productive. like i said before, i'm ok with Haley calling plays. i just hope this isn't representative of his inability to find the right guy or all others inability to work with him. you know what i'm saying. it's alot less to do with him as a play caller and more to do with the environment surrounding the position that he is having a hard time filling. i love Haley as a coach. i love what he demands for his players and coaches. i just wonder if he is too preoccupied with every aspect of the offense to let someone else run it. every great boss is great because they know how to properly assign work and who to assign that work to in order to get it done the best. no one likes the boss that is constantly over your shoulder critiquing your work as your doing it. it makes it hard to be productive.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information