Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do agree that I am being hard on him. I have $63 million reasons why I'm hard on him. I'm looking for the right stuff and I'm just not seeing it (yet, there is the possibility that with new weapons and protection, he could start to develop). I definitely need to see a lot of progression this year in order for me to be on board with bringing him back for 2011. We have an out in his contract after this year and he needs to prove to us he is the guy or we have to move on.

Comment

• If I'm not mistaken, Cassel's contract was structured so that the bulk of the money is paid in the first 3 years, after that he begins to be more cuttable (that's assuming a new salary cap is put in place). I'm hoping he can get his stuff together, but I don't think he's the biggest issue, that would still be the run defense. Jerome Harrison. Yes, they played well against Green Bay's reserves, we'll see how they do against some real competition, the Chargers.

As far as Haley goes, he does grate me a little bit. I'm not a fan of all the secrecy, I'm sorry Scott, Todd, there are no state secrets being kept at 1 Arrowhead Drive. I understand the need to run a tight ship, but I think they take it overboard sometimes.

Comment

• http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/31...a-jack-of.html

“The coaches have their agendas,” Haley said of his assistants, and he proceeded to rattle off the names of four coaches who want their due time with McCluster.

Haley said that coordinator Charlie Weis would use McCluster on every play if he could. Assistant head coach Maurice Carthon wants to steal him to play running back. Receivers coach Richie Anderson and special-teams coach Steve Hoffman want him, too.

“My job becomes: ‘OK, the guy can’t play 120 plays in a game,’ ” Haley said. “What can he play? What is the best thing for the team?”

Such a damn beast.

Comment

• Here's a link to his contract: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=nfl&id=3237

His, Matt Cassel, base salary after this year drops to $4.75 M, but he has a $7.5 M roster bonus. With the majority of his $28 M guaranteed money already paid in the first 2 years, it is easily the Chiefs 1st opportunity to get out of his deal cheaply. The $17 M he made in 2009 was all guaranteed and the most of $12 M he makes this year is guaranteed. The 7.5 million option bonus next year isn't guaranteed money.

Now, you are right that after year 3, there is no more guaranteed money at all, but cutting him after year 2, only if necessary, would be a no brainer. His cap hit would be so minimal. Maybe if they like a QB in the 2011 or 2012 draft, that will help to make their decision.

Comment

• Why the rush to cut him? I don't get it.

He was sacked a million times and we led the league in drops. No QB is going to do well with those kind of problems. Give him time.

Originally posted by fenikz
            His soft D really turns me off
            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

• Originally posted by vidae View Post
              Why the rush to cut him? I don't get it.

He was sacked a million times and we led the league in drops. No QB is going to do well with those kind of problems. Give him time.
              You can't hang on to the ball like he does and not get sacked, he got sacked a bunch with NE as well.

I'm not saying he needs to look like a pro bowler but if he looks like he did last year with a better OL and the upgraded weapons I think the Chiefs should move on.

Comment

• I guess I'm not making myself clear. I hope Matt Cassel can turn into a franchise QB. We have a lot of problems on our team and hopefully finding a new QB isn't one of them. What I said is, thus far, I haven't seen anything from him that would lead me to believe he is capable of being a franchise QB and that after this season, the Chiefs can get out from under his huge contract with little to no salary cap repercussions. I haven't said I would cut him. He still has this year to prove he can do it.

If he doesn't succeed (show some real progression in his game) this year, I think we would all agree that he isn't the right QB for us, right? I mean 2 years in the system, improved weapons and OLine has got to add up to much improved play on his part.

I haven't, yet, said I think we should cut bait. He does deserve more to time to prove himself. I hope he does it because it puts the Chiefs much closer to the Promiseland if he is the guy. All I am pointing out is that if it comes to be that we know he isn't the one, his contract is a non-issue after this season.

Comment

• I'm not advocating cutting Cassel either. I brought up the contract simply as an interesting nugget of information. I would be more than willing to give him this year and next, but if he doesn't start showing some improvement, and I mean serious improvement, I would begin looking for his replacement in the '11 draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by villagewarrior View Post
                    I'm not advocating cutting Cassel either. I brought up the contract simply as an interesting nugget of information. I would be more than willing to give him this year and next, but if he doesn't start showing some improvement, and I mean serious improvement, I would begin looking for his replacement in the '11 draft.
                    That's exactly my feelings. I couldn't have said it better myself. If we aren't moving forward, then we are moving backward. This is the NFL and the QB is the single most important position on the field. This league waits for no man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Splat View Post
                      You can't hang on to the ball like he does and not get sacked, he got sacked a bunch with NE as well.

I'm not saying he needs to look like a pro bowler but if he looks like he did last year with a better OL and the upgraded weapons I think the Chiefs should move on.
                      amen, i've never thought Matt was our QBOTF, hope i'm wrong because the teams improving in all areas it seems from the preseason play except for Cassel.

Comment

• He got sacked a bunch in NE because NE's line was garbage, too. You can't expect a QB to do well when the defense can get through the middle of the OL so easily. That was the big problem last year. The interior line was complete trash.

There are a combination of things that I believe should alleviate the problems with last year's passing game.
                        1. Weis - Weis's entire offense is designed around getting the ball out of the QB's hands quickly with screens and slants. This will cause linebackers to stay back and safeties to play up. They'll pick their spots on when to air it out, and when they do, Chambers and Bowe should be able to get past the safeties.

One of the biggest issues with last year's offensive playcalling was the complete lack of screen passes to off-set the pass rush. That will change this year. Weis is the master of the screen pass. He already implemented the classic Brady spin-move screen with McCluster and Charles (in place of Faulk & Pass). It's the most effective screen pass I've ever seen.

2. Improved weapons - McCluster and Long will be huge for Cassel. They'll catch screens and find pockets in coverage to help move the ball in small chunks and keep the linebackers from rushing. Also throw in how much better Bowe has looked, and the Chiefs should be able to dominate the middle of the field.

3. Improved Interior Line - Lilja and Weigman are infinitely better than what they had in 2009. Cassel is very athletic and can avoid the edge rush and make a play either with his arm or his legs. There's nothing he can do if the interior line fails in pass protection.

This offense is going to be geared around running the ball and a short passing game. Chiefs fans might not like it (mainly short passes) very much in the beginning, but it's highly effective. They'll eat up massive amounts of clock and frustrate the **** out of opposing defenses.

And the short passing game will make Cassel a better QB. That's part of how Brady became so good. It's not hard to learn to read defenses for short passing plays,
                        Last edited by nepg; 09-09-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nepg View Post
                          He got sacked a bunch in NE because NE's line was garbage, too. You can't expect a QB to do well when the defense can get through the middle of the OL so easily. That was the big problem last year. The interior line was complete trash.

There are a combination of things that I believe should alleviate the problems with last year's passing game.

1. Weis - Weis's entire offense is designed around getting the ball out of the QB's hands quickly with screens and slants. This will cause linebackers to stay back and safeties to play up. They'll pick their spots on when to air it out, and when they do, Chambers and Bowe should be able to get past the safeties.

2. Improved weapons - McCluster and Long will be huge for Cassel. They'll catch screens and find pockets in coverage to help move the ball in small chunks and keep the linebackers from rushing. Also throw in how much better Bowe has looked, and the Chiefs should be able to dominate the middle of the field.

3. Improved Interior Line - Lilja and Weigman are infinitely better than what they had in 2009. Cassel is very athletic and can avoid the edge rush and make a play either with his arm or his legs. There's nothing he can do if the interior line fails in pass protection.

This offense is going to be geared around running the ball and a short passing game. Chiefs fans might not like it (mainly short passes) very much in the beginning, but it's highly effective. They'll eat up massive amounts of clock and frustrate the **** out of opposing defenses.
                          This is pretty much my point he has everything in place to improve and if he doesn't then they need to move on after this season.

And Long isn't on the team any more he got cut.

Comment

• Well, my point is that people are lambasting him for no reason. He looked damn good considering what he had to work with last year and poor playcalling for 3/4 of the season. I'm saying there's no reason to worry because the problems have been mostly addressed, and the Cassel was never a problem.

I see a lot of people saying he doesn't look improved and are complaining about the short passes, too. Well, that's Charlie Weis's offense! I don't know what people expected... Charlie didn't call the plays for the '07 Pats or the '08 Cardinals...it's a much different offense that is geared towards grinding out first downs and chunks of clock. Weis and Crennel are all about protecting the football/endzone. They're not going to throw it downfield that often, so people need to stop complaining that they aren't doing it because it's not going to happen.

Comment

• I'm fine with that but the guy still holds on to the ball to long and seems to think run first throw second, he didn't complete a signal pass till the second quarter vs the Eagles it's hard not to worry after that.

The only time he looks comfortable to me is when they run a hurry up offense, I really don't think he trusts his OL which is understandable after last year but this is not last years OL.

Comment

• He'll be fine. I still (sort of) believe in Cassel. :)

Originally posted by fenikz
                                His soft D really turns me off
                                ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information