X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vidae
    started a topic 2009 Draft Day Thread

2009 Draft Day Thread

Like last year, I'll be updating this when the picks are made so people can find a quick reference. Feel free to post your thoughts/comments in here as well. It'll be stickied!

1(3): Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU
    3(67): Alex Magee - DE/DT - Purdue
    4(102): Donald Washington - CB - Ohio State
    5(139): Colin Brown - OT - Missouri
    6(175): Quinten Lawrence - WR - McNeese State
    7(212): Javarras Williams - RB - Tennessee State
    7(237): Jake O'Connell - TE - Miami (OH)
    7(256):Ryan Succop - K - South Carolina
    Last edited by vidae; 04-26-2009, 06:37 PM.

• AJHawk50
    replied
    Hope you had a good time!

Leave a comment:

• vidae
    replied
    I was out of town in Vegas/Anaheim. Your wish is my command.

Leave a comment:

• AJHawk50
    replied
    Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
    I don't think we need the draft threads to be pinned up top any more. :)
    I actually just thought about that myself yesterday. lol

Leave a comment:

• Splat
    replied
    I don't think we need the draft threads to be pinned up top any more. :)

Leave a comment:

• BPhilb
    replied
    Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
    according to Alex Magee he was set to become a Bear had KC not taken him

I head that too. In most of the post draft grades the Bears where celebrated with the Gilbert selecton and the Magee selection was frowned upon. I guess you never know how the draft truely shakes out.

Leave a comment:

• T-RICH49
    replied
    according to Alex Magee he was set to become a Bear had KC not taken him

Leave a comment:

• vidae
    replied
    Originally posted by nepg View Post
    They got a stud DE, a guy who will play DE for them when they switch to a 3-4, and a bunch of back-ups. Considering their starters are pretty-well set, it wasn't terrible. Only real problem I have with it is they drafted some random K when Graham Gano went undrafted...

Tyson Jackson is being very underrated as a 4-3 DE. He can do it all...could be a Mario Williams-type of talent for the Chiefs on the strong side in Pendergast's scheme.

Also, a lot of the guys already on the roster are being overlooked (Barry Richardson). And they've still got a lot of off-season to work with.

Pioli is more of a free agency guy. He does a great job maneuvering and getting 3-4 guys out of each draft, but his real skill is getting quality free agents on the cheap.
    I'm curious why you think Tyson Jackson could be a Mario Williams type DE in the 4-3 when he hasn't shown that he can be a consistent pass rusher period? I'm not saying you're wrong, but what exactly are you seeing that I'm not? He doesn't seem to be a good pass rusher at all. He could be an excellent run stuffer, he could pressure the QB, he can take on blockers for our LBs to make plays, but I really doubt he will ever be anything near Mario Williams.

Leave a comment:

• nepg
    replied
    They got a stud DE, a guy who will play DE for them when they switch to a 3-4, and a bunch of back-ups. Considering their starters are pretty-well set, it wasn't terrible. Only real problem I have with it is they drafted some random K when Graham Gano went undrafted...

Tyson Jackson is being very underrated as a 4-3 DE. He can do it all...could be a Mario Williams-type of talent for the Chiefs on the strong side in Pendergast's scheme.

Also, a lot of the guys already on the roster are being overlooked (Barry Richardson). And they've still got a lot of off-season to work with.

Pioli is more of a free agency guy. He does a great job maneuvering and getting 3-4 guys out of each draft, but his real skill is getting quality free agents on the cheap.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefLee
    replied
    Go back to sacks allowed per pass attempt last year. Our o-line, while not as good as it was in the past, was serviceable. They've upgraded with Goff. Albert and Niswanger now in the second year of starting. And Brian Waters will be just fine. He's a pro.

I would have preferred an OT with that first pick to replace McIntosh, but you guys are certainly cracking me up. :) The sky is not falling. Pioli and Haley obviously decided that rebuilding our AWFUL defensive line, which is not remotely suited to play the 3-4 (not even suited to play the 4-3 if you look at last year's stats), was much more important than supplementing our average offensive line.

Pioli can talk about winning this year, but he's targeting 2010 and 2011, not 2009. These are all pieces for the larger puzzle.

Leave a comment:

• AJHawk50
    replied
    You can obviously tell that Pioli wanted to set a BASE for the Chiefs. Build a core. Build from the inside out...and give them some time. We have come accustomed to seeing teams turn everything around in a year but we can't EXPECT that. I do expect to win more, but give him 1-2 more years here and lets see what this team starts to turn into.

Leave a comment:

• John Preston
    replied
    Who is going to protect Matt Cassel, and who is going to get to the other team's quarterback?

Leave a comment:

• villagewarrior
    replied
    I'm ok with what happened. New regime, new philosophy. It could be the Chiefs wanted Jackson, and wanted to move down but nothing materialized. Better to get the guy they wanted then to get one they didn't.

Leave a comment:

• T-RICH49
    replied
    I am not happy with this class.It's like waiting all week for christmas but instead of a new video game system you asked for you get a bunch of socks.major dissappointment

Leave a comment:

• Splat
    replied
    I understand 100% but we knew going in this was going to take time we just need to have some patience way to many holes for one off season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information