If Miami Gets the #1 Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Miami Gets the #1 Pick

Right now the #1 pick in the 2008 draft appears to be a "battle" between the Dolphins and the Rams. If Miami ends up with the top pick what direction should they go? Dorsey is a nice player, but doesn't seem like the right fit for the current defensive scheme (of course don't rule out that Capers could be gone after the season). How about Chris Long as a versatile DE who is strong enough to move inside on occasion? A trade down is always possible as I believe teams will move up for a couple of guys in this draft. If Miami trades down a few spots someone like Phillips for the secondary would make sense. Who would you most want to see Miami take?

jake long in a trade down with an additional pick in round 2

Comment

Trade down with a team in the 8-10 range. Traded value chart will net us an extra 1st in 2009, plus a 2nd and 3rd in 2008. With those picks we go.

1st- Kenny Phillips, FS
      2nd- Ryan Clady, OT
      2nd- DeJuan Tribble, CB
      2nd- Dre Moore, DT
      3rd- BJ Raji, NT
      3rd- Ben Moffitt, LB
      4th- Marcus Monk, WR
      6th- Chester Adams, OG
      7th- De'Cody Fagg, WR

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
        Trade down with a team in the 8-10 range. Traded value chart will net us an extra 1st in 2009, plus a 2nd and 3rd in 2008. With those picks we go.

1st- Kenny Phillips, FS
        2nd- Ryan Clady, OT
        2nd- DeJuan Tribble, CB
        2nd- Dre Moore, DT
        3rd- BJ Raji, NT
        3rd- Ben Moffitt, LB
        4th- Marcus Monk, WR
        6th- Chester Adams, OG
        7th- De'Cody Fagg, WR
        That would be an awesome draft addressing a lot of needs. What's your scouting report on Tribble? I haven't seen him or heard too much about him.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
          That would be an awesome draft addressing a lot of needs. What's your scouting report on Tribble? I haven't seen him or heard too much about him.
          Alot of people have him going in the top 25 picks as of now. I think when it's all said and done, he'll go mid second due to lack of size

Comment

What if Miami couldn't trade down? it isn't easy to do, as evidenced by the Lions last year who had one of the best pieces of trade bait ever. Not to say it's impossible but let's for a moment say they don't get it done. What then?

I don't consider Jake Long worthy of first overall. Probably none of the QB's are either, even IF Miami would do that a year after taking Beck.

Glenn Dorsey then? Chris Long? Or do they reach?

Comment

I would say Long, 1st overall. Could he be the next Taylor in that 3-4. 1st overall picks are Qbs most of the time, but a DE not a bad pick either, trading down from 1st overall is probably the hardest thing to do. Look what the Saints did to get Ricky.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                I would say Long, 1st overall. Could he be the next Taylor in that 3-4. 1st overall picks are Qbs most of the time, but a DE not a bad pick either, trading down from 1st overall is probably the hardest thing to do. Look what the Saints did to get Ricky.
                Are you a Dolphins fan? They way you compare Long to Taylor makes me think you don't watch either very much. Long is a classic 3-4 DE. Think Richard Seymour or Chris Canty. Taylor is a 3-4DE/OLB and is the ideal 4-3 DE. Calais Campbell is more like Taylor then Long is. They aren't even on the same realm as each other when comparing style of play. The pick would definately be Dorsey.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                  Are you a Dolphins fan? They way you compare Long to Taylor makes me think you don't watch either very much. Long is a classic 3-4 DE. Think Richard Seymour or Chris Canty. Taylor is a 3-4DE/OLB and is the ideal 4-3 DE. Calais Campbell is more like Taylor then Long is. They aren't even on the same realm as each other when comparing style of play. The pick would definately be Dorsey.
                  The question with Dorsey is whether or not he would be an ideal fit for this defense. Of course, the whole defensive scheme could change so you never know.

Comment

Why not Long, he plays all over the field he has played 8 diffrent positions at Virgina.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
                      The question with Dorsey is whether or not he would be an ideal fit for this defense. Of course, the whole defensive scheme could change so you never know.
                      Obviously you are one of the few on here that haven't seen my views on how we should use Dorsey. Here it goes again, His normal set up would be at the DT position next to Soliai or whoever we have at NT. He would basically play the Vonnie Holliday role since Vonnie was playing awful before the injury. This lets us move Vonnie outside to DE where our depth has been bad. Rod Wright would be Dorsey's primary backup. From that DT spot Dorsey would upgrade the run defense as well as have the freedom to use his pass rush skills. Then on certain running downs, we could shift Dorsey outside to DE and move JT to OLB and that will upgrade our run D as Dorsey could do a terrific job anchoring outside. Once in a blue moon on passing downs, we could move Dorsey to NT with JT and Roth outside and that will allow us to get pass rush from all 3 spots on the DL. Dorsey would be a guy that we could move all over the DL because he has so many aspects of his game that he is great at. It gives offenses more to think about which is what our defense has been lacking this season. We haven't had a single player that makes defenses think, we just line up and do the same thing over and over because we don't have the talent to move guys around and keep offenses guessing as to what ew are gonna hit them with. Dorsey can help change that.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                        Why not Long, he plays all over the field he has played 8 diffrent positions at Virgina.
                        Virginia is a college. In the NFL they are gonna put him at DE and leave him there. Read any scouting report. They all say Long gonna be a 3-4 DE, no questions asked.

Comment

Long definitely isn't just a 3-4 DE no questions ask. His best spot would be as a 4-3 DE, and Toonster actually brought up a good point in that he'd likely be better off to drop a little more weight and be a 3-4 OLB than gain weight and be a 3-4 DE.

As far as your plan with Dorsey, I think you're assuming a bit too much that he'd be worth the first over all pick in those rolls. Right now I'd lead Dorsey just for the fact that he is a better player than Long. But Dorsey's fit as a 3-4 DE really isn't worth the #1 overall pick. If we run a 4-3 all the time and abandon the 3-4 then Dorsey would be worth the pick, but he just isn't a 3-4 DE. He doesn't have the size and that isn't his style of play. While Long isn't the type of player that Dorsey is he is absolutely dominant in the run game and while he isn't the pass blocker Thomas or Ferguson were coming out but he can get the job done at LT. There are a lot of good options for DT in the 2nd that aren't on Dorsey's level but they fit the defense just as well if not better and give us just as much flexibility as your plan would.

Say we take Long, Carey is moved back to RT, this allows us to either cut LJ Shelton or move him inside and gives us a OL of Long, Shelton/whoever, Satele, Hadnot (FA but hopefully we bring him back, he's rebounded well after an awful preseason), Carey. Maybe even have Alabi inside at OG or if we have enough faith in him but Carey at LG and have Alabi at RT.

Then in the 2nd we can look at DT. Dre Moore, Kentwan Balmer and DeMario Pressley are all guys that fit in the DT/3-4 DE role. Moore might even be able to play NT. Long/Moore looks a lot better than Dorsey/Otah to me.

Obviously a lot can change from now until April, but at this point I'd lean slightly towards Long.

That is correct comahan
                          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                          <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
                            What if Miami couldn't trade down? it isn't easy to do, as evidenced by the Lions last year who had one of the best pieces of trade bait ever. Not to say it's impossible but let's for a moment say they don't get it done. What then?

I don't consider Jake Long worthy of first overall. Probably none of the QB's are either, even IF Miami would do that a year after taking Beck.

Glenn Dorsey then? Chris Long? Or do they reach?
                            That's possible, but I really think teams will trade up for McFadden and maybe Ryan or Brohm depending on how they finish their seasons.

Comment

What about McFadden? Just throwing it out there. BTW I love Ronnie Brown and believe he is one of the best backs in the game if he is completely healthy. But McFadden may be, by far, the best player available in this draft. I know it's unlikely and I'm not advocating it, but it should definitely be part of the discussion if Miami ends up with the top pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information