No announcement yet.

#1 Pick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know if you remember a guy by the name of Jumbo Elliott. But he was one of Bill Parcells favorite guys and he played LT at 6'7 308. Hmmmm that sounds pretty familiar.

Comment

Parcells not only had Jumbo when he was a Giant but he also signed him to play for him on the Jets. But I guess since Jumbo wasnt the quote on quote Bill Parcells type of offensive lineman I guess all those years should just be thrown out the window because all most people can remember are recent images of Flozell Adams in there head.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
        Wikipedia has him listed as 315. The official Michigan site has him listed at 315. ESPN has him listed at 315. This site has him listed at 313.

So to anwser your question. No most reliable sites don't list him anywhere near the weight of 330 and he doesn't weight anywhere near 330.

He is not anywhere close to a Parcells type of OT and you should really look at places other then Wikipedia to get your information. Anyone can change anything on that site at any time. It's just an open pool of information, much of it is false and there is nobody there to filter it.

Also just a bit more information for you.

Jumbo Elliott
        John Stuart Elliott

Position: T
        Height: 6-7 Weight: 308 lbs.
        Born: April 1, 1965 in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
        College: Michigan

Hmmm one of Bill Parcells all time favorite lineman. You have to be kidding me if Parcells isnt already comparing Michigan bretheran Elliott and Long.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
          Parcells not only had Jumbo when he was a Giant but he also signed him to play for him on the Jets. But I guess since Jumbo wasnt the quote on quote Bill Parcells type of offensive lineman I guess all those years should just be thrown out the window because all most people can remember are recent images of Flozell Adams in there head.
          I hate when people do this. Just because one guy does something doesn't mean they all will. Jumbo Elliot is the exception, not the rule. Parcells only used a handful of 310 pound guys like Jumbo. He had millions of 330 pound guys and has said a bunch of times that he loves huge OLs.

Just because Parcells had luck and liked one 310 pound lineman doesn't mean he's gonna put his preference and history aside for Jake Long.

Comment

How can you honestly tell me that when Parcells has had a LT under 310 pounds for almost his entire coaching career up until he was lucky to inherit an all world LT by the name of Flozell Adams. Damn remember Bruce Armstrong his Left Tackle with the Patriots,he was only about 6'4 300. One thing in common about Flozell,Jumbo, and Long is that they all push 6'7.
            Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 02-17-2008, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Long is a huge mauling tackle, just because he's not 330 right now (he's played there earlier in his career though) doesn't mean he's not going to fit the mold the Parcells is looking for.

That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                Long is a huge mauling tackle, just because he's not 330 right now (he's played there earlier in his career though) doesn't mean he's not going to fit the mold the Parcells is looking for.
                Assuming Beck is at QB we are going to be playing a ton of ball control offense. Long is a solid run blocker and would fit in well in that type of offense.

Comment

This argument will be a Non-factor when we draft Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, and NOT Jake Long.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                    This argument will be a Non-factor when we draft Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, and NOT Jake Long.

I wouldnt be apposed to drafting either but I would then have to assume that there is a deal in place to deal away Jason Taylor for a 2nd or a 3rd. Porter isnt going anywhere with the guaranteed money that has been invested in him already. Then you have a player in Matt Roth whom I feel has a ton of potential playing as an OLB in the 3-4. He has played linebacker before and at 6'4 270 has the exact same measurables as does a Long. He also has an attitude and a non stop motor that the Parcells coaching staff will love. Then they are the dark horses in Quentin Moses and Abraham Wright whom have potential to do great things as well if given the chance in a base 3-4 defense. If Parcells plans on keeping Taylor for a few more years it would be non sense to spend a high draft pick on someone who will be backing up the OLB spots. You want to draft at a spot where I think we actually have some decent talent in the pipe lines to go along with two veterans. As of today we only have one current viable starter at OT with not a worthy backup to speak of with the release of Alabi,Toledo, and Shelton.

Comment

I am hoping that Parcells can get his hands on a vet like Todd Collins to bring John Beck along. Not too many good vet F/A QB's out there. Really dont want to see Matt Ryan as the #1 pick.

Comment

If you are stuck at #1 and the QB position has not been addressed, I have a feeling that Ryan is the pick. If somehow they do something at QB (don't know what) then I think they pick either C. Long or Gholston. Though I would lean Gholston, I think they lean for Long. I do not see Jake Long because I think he is not a good enough pass blocker for LT. Gholston ate him alive and NFL pass rushers will do the same at LT. I believe Mayock called him a great prospect at RT. No way I think you take a RT at #1....

C. Long is a safe pick who could play 3-4 DE or OLB if he drops a few pounds and you don't have to doubt the effort.

I think right now it is 51-49 Ryan over C. Long if QB is not fixed and if it somehow is, then it is 70-30 Long over Gholston.

Comment

I tend to think that, with the chances of finding a solid OL talent at one of their 2nd round spots, I'm just not sure Jake Long is on level with the others in the competition unless they absolutely love him to that extent, which I would find a bit surprising. My guess as of now is that it'll come down to (and as of now, this would be the order I'd rank it as): Matt Ryan, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston with Jake Long probably 4th in that bnch.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            I tend to think that, with the chances of finding a solid OL talent at one of their 2nd round spots, I'm just not sure Jake Long is on level with the others in the competition unless they absolutely love him to that extent, which I would find a bit surprising. My guess as of now is that it'll come down to (and as of now, this would be the order I'd rank it as): Matt Ryan, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston with Jake Long probably 4th in that bnch.
                            I agree with everything you said up until Matt Ryan being option number 1. Most people think Ryan could be Parcell's next Bledsoe, but I have no reason to believe Flacco couldn't be, and for a much cheaper price in the 2nd round. He has a stronger arm, is more mobile, and looked pretty accurate at the Senior Bowl. They only question is the competition, but the guy just seems like a competitor to me, bottom line.

Taking Ryan with the 1st would almost be admitting failure last year and completely throwing away a 2nd round pick. I just don't think it would be the most productive thing to do as a team when we have so many other glaring deficiencies on this roster. We need to trade down, but if we don't, we need to take the BPA on either the offensive or defensive lines, which are the most glaring needs on this team right now. And since I agree so much with you about Jake Long not being far and away the best at his position, Chris Long or Vernon Gholston need to be the pick at number 1, that's the way I see it.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                              Taking Ryan with the 1st would almost be admitting failure last year
                              You don't think after going 1-15, bringing in an executive vice president in Parcells, and firing both the one-year head coach and the team's GM means they've already admitted to failure? I don't see why the organization would feel the need to save face on their second round draft pick.

Anywho, FWIW, this was posted in a Rams beat writer blog, but since it had other NFL tidbits, I thought I would put it here...

Kiper seemed pretty confident that the Miami Dolphins under new Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells will take Boston College QB Matt Ryan with the No. 1 overall pick.

“If they don’t feel like John Beck is the right guy moving forward with, then they need to draft Matt Ryan,’’ Kiper said. “He drafted Drew Bledsoe up in New England, and I think Matt Ryan is the kind of quarterback that fits what Bill wants.

“Had they drafted Brady Quinn last instead of Ted Ginn (Jr.) last year, the previous administration, they wouldn’t be drafting Matt Ryan. Brady Quinn would their guy moving forward. Now instead of using that pick on another position or trading it, they are almost forced to take Matt Ryan.’’
                              http://bellevillenewsdemocrat.typepa...iper-rams.html

Comment

I think its going to be a D player that can step up and make an impact in the 3-4. Thats just Parcells, then again he did get Key Johnson. I think its going to be a Lb like Golston. In a 3-4 paying that much money for a DT and even a DE is ridiculous they are there to eat up block and stop the run, while the lbs make a majority of the plays in pass rushing and even run stopping.

I also see him maybe taking Ryan, they did draft a qb last season, but this is a new coachs team, so maybe he wants his own players.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information