Dolphins Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hard time buying into this.

Parcells 1st 3 moves were midlevel cap friendly deals. Jason Ferguson is only making 4 million a year and we got him for a 6th rounder. Justin Smiley only got 9 million Guaranteed over 5 years. And we signed Reggie Torber to play LB for us already according to KFFL. No way he can be making much money.

With all that suddenly we are gonna offer a top tier LB deal to Calvin Pace? I'm having a hard time buying into that. It's going against everything Parcells has indicated and against all the moves he has made so far.

Comment

The Pace deal is all over the sports radio down here 790 the ticket that a deal should be done rather soon. I think Pace is seeing what the Jets have to offer. And by the way I love the Torbor signing. It sucks that he is leaving my Giants but atleast he's with my adopted team in the Phins

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
        I have a hard time buying into this.

Parcells 1st 3 moves were midlevel cap friendly deals. Jason Ferguson is only making 4 million a year and we got him for a 6th rounder. Justin Smiley only got 9 million Guaranteed over 5 years. And we signed Reggie Torber to play LB for us already according to KFFL. No way he can be making much money.

With all that suddenly we are gonna offer a top tier LB deal to Calvin Pace? I'm having a hard time buying into that. It's going against everything Parcells has indicated and against all the moves he has made so far.
        Apparently he sees a lot of Ware in Pace.... similar players. Calvin Pace is probably what you would call a poor man's DeMarcus Ware. But who knows, he was playing out of position prior to '07 when he had his biggest year (98 Tackles, 6.5 sacks) And under Parcells aggressive defense and the tutoring of JT, he could end up being VERY good for us. An under-the-radar move that could end up making us look real good eventually. I still want Long or Gholston though so I don't know what to think about this yet, I hope we trade down now if the Pace signing is true. I really don't want jake Long at number 1.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
          The Pace deal is all over the sports radio down here 790 the ticket that a deal should be done rather soon. I think Pace is seeing what the Jets have to offer. And by the way I love the Torbor signing. It sucks that he is leaving my Giants but atleast he's with my adopted team in the Phins
          What are you talking about? I've listened to 790 the ticket all day. They've said nothing more then he's currently visiting along with McCown during the sportsflashes.

Are you sure the Torber signing happened. KFFL took the report down. I can't find it anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
            Well I hope the Jets take a look at Pace. I mean I don't want to the Phin's to get him. That'd suck for us.
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
              Apparently he sees a lot of Ware in Pace.... similar players. Calvin Pace is probably what you would call a poor man's DeMarcus Ware. But who knows, he was playing out of position prior to '07 when he had his biggest year (98 Tackles, 6.5 sacks) And under Parcells aggressive defense and the tutoring of JT, he could end up being VERY good for us. An under-the-radar move that could end up making us look real good eventually. I still want Long or Gholston though so I don't know what to think about this yet, I hope we trade down now if the Pace signing is true. I really don't want jake Long at number 1.
              Where are you hearing that he sees alot of Ware in Pace? I like Pace and I'd love to have him. He was one of the guys I was saying we should target during the offseason but signing him to same deal that Porter and Adalius gone is insane. He hasn't proven he's worth that much. I wouldn't hate it as much as I hated the Porter signing last season but I still don't see where he's worth wasting that cap money on.

I'm torn because I like the player but I hate the amount.

Comment

We are expect to sign 4 guys today

Parcells wasting no time rebuilding Dolphins
                Within the first 12 hours of the free-agent signing period, the Miami Dolphins already had signed one player and scheduled at least three visits, and it would be no surprise to see them sign at least four free agents by the end of the day.

The Dolphins signed former Jets free-agent tight end Sean Ryan to a one-year deal and were expecting visits from Arizona linebacker Calvin Pace, Oakland quarterback Josh McCown and Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks. Talks with Starks, for one, are heating up.
                -- Adam Schefter

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?...o&confirm=true

Everyone knew about Pace and McCown who I think would be solid as a 1 year stop gap. But throwing in Randy Starks into the mix would be huge. I knwo nothing about Sean Ryan but he sounds like one of those guys that ends up cut at TC.

Anyways, if you would have told me a week ago that we ended the 1st day of FA with Calvin Pace, Luke McCown, Randy Starks, Justin Smiley, and Reggie Torber. I'd be thrilled.

EDIT: Torber is confirmed I guess. Rotoworld has him listed as going to the Dolphins.
                Last edited by Joeyjr09; 02-29-2008, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Very interesting signees. Starks is an interesting case, a good raw talent that hasn't materialized in the 4-3. Maybe he'll fit as a 3-4 DE. Torbor and Pace would send a strong signal that Taylor and Porter are out in all likelihood ... and it could be a strong signal on the draft. Wilford's a potentially solid safety option ... for whoever the QB is.

Comment

Parcells wasting no time in Miami

According to NFL.com, Adam Schefter reports:

The Miami Dolphins have stormed out of the free-agent gate, adding yet another young player. The Dolphins reached agreement with former Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks on a five-year, $21 million contract that includes $7 million worth of guaranteed money. The best part of Starks might be his upside. He is only 24 years old.

The Dolphins also have reached agreement on a trade with the Dallas Cowboys that would reunite DT Jason Ferguson with Parcells and give Miami a new starting defensive tackle tandem for the coming season...

Comment

Also signed giants FA Reggie Torbor LB.

Comment

They also signed Wilford, and already signed Smiley.

The intriguing thing is the Torbor signing and the interest in Pace. The obvious is that, if they get both, it sure seems like Taylor/Porter are on their way out.

It also would seem to dampen the possibility of a rush backer 1st overall.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                          Also signed giants FA Reggie Torbor LB.
                          I think that KFFL retracted that statement. They may have jumped the gun there.

Originally posted by Halsey
                          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

They also have an agreement with Wilford locked up now, should be announced shortly. He decided to go with them over Buffalo.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

We traded for Jason Ferguson too.

That is correct comahan
                              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                              <3 dg

Comment

So far we have gotten:

Signed:
                                Earnest Wilford, WR, 29
                                Randy Starks, DT, 24
                                Sean Ryan, TE, 27
                                Jason Ferguson, NT, 33

Agreed to terms, can't confirm a signing:
                                Reggie Torber, LB, 27
                                Justin Smiley, OG, 26

Visiting and expected to sign:
                                Calvin Pace, LB, 27
                                Josh McCown, 28

If I told you that was what we ended up with after one day of FA. What would your reaction be? No one really grossly overpaid either (except maybe Pace) and most either good deal for us or reasonable contract that are fair for both sides.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information