Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys, I think I'm crossing to the dark side...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quagmire View Post
    Joe,

He tested great at his pro-day. Ran under 4.5, The guy was a big time, big play, big game WR. He has pretty good size. The off-field stuff is a big negative, I agree. However, if this guy did not have that question, he goes in top 15-20. It is about the character test. If someone sees it as an immature act and not a Chris Henry pattern problem, then I think he goes in early to mid rd 2. If they do their homework and see a problem, then I totally agree that I would not take him in that spot. But, don't be surprised if he goes in the early portion of rd 2 and becomes a big time player in this league.
    People always test better at their Pro Day then any other day. He ran horribly at the combine and for the most part, his workouts have been considered a let down from what people thought he would test, there's no debating that. He has lacked burst, size, speed and strength. I think after all is said and done he will be very low round 2 or very early round 3. Nothing sooner.

The big picture I was getting at was that he has no spot on the Dolphins. We already have on small WR in Ginn. Parcells like bigger more physical players and will want one opposite Ginn (Wilford is not the anwser long term). Parcells puts alot of stock in character and this kid has lied to everyone and has shown a knack for being very immature. He is basically the Anti Parcells pick. No way he ends up here. He goes against everything Parcells looks for in his players. He'd have to really take a huge slide for the Dolphins to consider him.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
      People always test better at their Pro Day then any other day. He ran horribly at the combine and for the most part, his workouts have been considered a let down from what people thought he would test, there's no debating that. He has lacked burst, size, speed and strength. I think after all is said and done he will be very low round 2 or very early round 3. Nothing sooner.

The big picture I was getting at was that he has no spot on the Dolphins. We already have on small WR in Ginn. Parcells like bigger more physical players and will want one opposite Ginn (Wilford is not the anwser long term). Parcells puts alot of stock in character and this kid has lied to everyone and has shown a knack for being very immature. He is basically the Anti Parcells pick. No way he ends up here. He goes against everything Parcells looks for in his players. He'd have to really take a huge slide for the Dolphins to consider him.
      Joe,

If a player has a bad combine, they can easily remedy it at their pro day. If there was no character issue with Manningham, I think teams would forget the combine and look at the pro day...

The player he has been compared to most is Chad Johnson. Now, the team has to determine if that is just in ability or attitude as well. If it is in attitude or character, then you obviously don't pick him. But, don't forget one thing about Parcells, he tends to look the other way if the player can have an impact on the field. (Lawrence Taylor). If it is in ability, you are talking about one of the better WR's in the game....

I would not necessarily call him small, either. He is over 6 ft and with an NFL weight program could be a very solidly built WR.

Again, in no way am I predicting Miami will take him, but I have to say that if I was in charge and did my homework on the guy, that he would be a big consideration if all came back OK. Now, if you are looking at him and Limas Sweed being available at that pick (just an example, don't think he will be there), then you definitely take the guy without any character questions....

Comment

Take a look at this article I found today

• After meeting with Chris Long, Jake Long and Matt Ryan on their college campuses, the Dolphins are now focusing on prospects beyond the top pick. Although the team doesn't release names, we have identified several players (excluding the UM prospects) who are being brought to Davie for meetings with coaches and team executives. Purdue tight end Dustin Keller -- a converted receiver who caught 68 passes for 881 yards in '07 -- will visit next Tuesday, but many believe he will be drafted before Miami's first of two second-round picks.

The Dolphins, who are making linebacker a priority, are bringing in Auburn's Quentin Groves, a potential second-rounder with 26 career sacks, and UNLV's Beau Bell, a potential third-rounder. (FYI: Miami requested more tape of Georgia's Marcus Howard and has closely studied several potential second-round linebackers, including Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton, USC end/linebacker Lawrence Jackson, Purdue's Cliff Avril and Tennessee's Jerod Mayo, although none of those five was booked for visits.)

• The Dolphins scheduled at least two left tackles for visits, Nebraska's Carl Nicks (highly skilled, but character issues) and Virginia Tech's Duane Brown (a converted tight end who impressed at the combine).

• Others invited for Dolphins visits: California safety Thomas DeCoud (big-time hitter, but just one career interception), UTEP safety/cornerback Quintin Demps (had two 100-yard interception returns for touchdowns last season), BYU linebacker Kelly Poppinga (late-round overachiever type), Michigan State receiver Devin Thomas (a likely first-rounder) and Virginia Tech defensive tackle Kory Robertson.

I would be very pleased if we are able to snare OT Duane Brown in about the 4th round. I think he would be a nice rotational tackle and someday starter. Maybe an insurance policy just in case Carey bolts via free agency.
        Last edited by BigBlueCrew56; 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
          Take a look at this article I found today

After meeting with Chris Long, Jake Long and Matt Ryan on their college campuses, the Dolphins are now focusing on prospects beyond the top pick. Although the team doesn't release names, we have identified several players (excluding the UM prospects) who are being brought to Davie for meetings with coaches and team executives. Purdue tight end Dustin Keller -- a converted receiver who caught 68 passes for 881 yards in '07 -- will visit next Tuesday, but many believe he will be drafted before Miami's first of two second-round picks.

The Dolphins, who are making linebacker a priority, are bringing in Auburn's Quentin Groves, a potential second-rounder with 26 career sacks, and UNLV's Beau Bell, a potential third-rounder. (FYI: Miami requested more tape of Georgia's Marcus Howard and has closely studied several potential second-round linebackers, including Oklahoma's Curtis Lofton, USC end/linebacker Lawrence Jackson, Purdue's Cliff Avril and Tennessee's Jerod Mayo, although none of those five was booked for visits.)

The Dolphins scheduled at least two left tackles for visits, Nebraska's Carl Nicks (highly skilled, but character issues) and Virginia Tech's Duane Brown (a converted tight end who impressed at the combine).

Others invited for Dolphins visits: California safety Thomas DeCoud (big-time hitter, but just one career interception), UTEP safety/cornerback Quintin Demps (had two 100-yard interception returns for touchdowns last season), BYU linebacker Kelly Poppinga (late-round overachiever type), Michigan State receiver Devin Thomas (a likely first-rounder) and Virginia Tech defensive tackle Kory Robertson.

I would be very pleased if we are able to snare OT Duane Brown in about the 4th round. I think he would be a nice rotational tackle and someday starter. Maybe an insurance policy just in case Carey bolts via free agency.
          Blue,

I read the same article this morning. Interesting stuff.

Groves - Would be great, but I see no way he makes it to #32.
          Bell - Perfect size/speed for ILB in Tuna's system.
          Howard - Terrific pass rush potential in a 3-4 and from Georgia which I know is a school that Parcells like players from. (Heard that on a show once)
          Lofton- Very good player, just not sure he fits the size that he likes at ILB.
          Mayo - Ditto Lofton
          Jackson - Typical 3-4 hybrid player though I am not a big fan.
          Avril - Same as Jackson except that he is a little faster. Like him a little more.
          Nicks - Fits the profile, but off the field???
          Brown - Like him a lot. I really think he can be a quality LT in this league..... Would love to see him end up here (maybe rd 3)
          Decoud - In the box safety prospect
          Demps - Versatile DB prospect
          Poppinga - Fits the size profile, depth and special team type.
          D. Thomas - No chance he will be there at #32.
          Robertson - DT also from a school that he knows and likes.
          Johnson - Have never seen him, but his write-up and measurables are intriguing.
          Allen - Same as Johnson.

I can't wait for the draft. All this speculation is killing me.....

Comment

Originally posted by Quagmire View Post
            I would not necessarily call him small, either. He is over 6 ft and with an NFL weight program could be a very solidly built WR.
            Come on Quags your killing me. Scott gets his numbers from when the guys do their heights and weights at the combine. He has Manningham at 5'11 and 3/4 and 181 pounds. Stop making up numbers, he's not over 6 feet and even if he gains 10 pounds in a weight program (which is highly doubtful as WRs generally do not put on anywhere near that much weight), he'll still only be in the 190 range.

He's a tad under 6 foot and weighs only 181 pounds. Ted Ginn is one of the NFLs smaller WRs and he was at 5'11 and 178 when he was drafted. Steve Smith who is also one of the leagues smaller WRs is 5'9 and 185 pounds.

How on earth do any of those numbers qualify Manningham as not small?

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information