Dolphins negotiating with Jake Long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins negotiating with Jake Long

The Miami Herald is reporting that they have officially entered negotiations with Jake Long. Now, I am sure this does not mean they have decided on their pick yet, but it definitely is intriguing news. Could this be a smokescreen to entice someone to move up? Maybe, but the chances of that don't look great right now. (I hope that is what happens) Either way, this is good news. Under 17 days and I just want to get this going..........

No smoke screen. We will probably negociate with Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. Every team negociates with the top players every year to see if they can get a better deal on the guy they really want. It's all a big mindfreak trying to work out that contract so having the leverage of mulitple guys vying for the spot helps out the team.

This is no way helps us as far as a smoke screen. Everyone knows we are looking hard at Jake Long, we don't need to go out of our way trying to convince teams of that.

Comment

Here goes the Article from the Herald

By:Jeff Darlington

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
        Here goes the Article from the Herald

By:Jeff Darlington

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

BBC, come on man. I know you have good intentions but I'll willing to bet all us Miami fans either live in Miami or read the Dolphins section of the Herald regularly. No need to post the article. We've all seen it. Comes across as if you think we are all incapable of finding our own article.

Comment

Yeah Joey but many people who dont follow Miami and are looking for info on the #1 pick will find it very helpfull. Relax bro...... like you said I am just trying to be helpfull.

Comment

People that don't follow Miami won't be on a Miami board. It's rare you see anyone but me, you, quag, bow and guru on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
              No smoke screen. We will probably negociate with Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. Every team negociates with the top players every year to see if they can get a better deal on the guy they really want. It's all a big mindfreak trying to work out that contract so having the leverage of mulitple guys vying for the spot helps out the team.

This is no way helps us as far as a smoke screen. Everyone knows we are looking hard at Jake Long, we don't need to go out of our way trying to convince teams of that.
              Couldn't agree more. But this will bring out all the possible Jake Long suitors for sure, if not anything else. Jake is our best shot at a trade out. I still don't feel he will be our pick in the end, it's just BP doing his homework, that's all.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Phins Negotiating with Jake Long AND Vernon Gholston

According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Dolphins have begin negotiations with Jake Long AND Vernon Gholston:

Apparently content to keep the No. 1 overall pick, the Dolphins have begun discussing contract parameters with at least two players on their short list of candidates to become the draft's top selection.

Official contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston were started this week, according to a source. Coincidentally, Long and Gholston are represented by the same agency, CAA, but have different agents.

Long and Gholston are believed to be two of the five prospects the Dolphins have thoroughly investigated in case they don't trade away the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, which takes place on April 26-27.
                Click the link to read the rest of the article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,7093217.story

Discuss now:

Comment

Don't have a heart attack BBC! :)

Comment

I do expect there to be contract negotiations with Chris Long as well. But, if indeed the only serious talks are between Jake and Vernon, then we will try to hammer out some outlines for deals for both. Jake will be our negotiating piece at a last ditch effort to get the Rams to bite on a trade. That way we could swap with them, already have Vernon under contract, take him at # 2, and get an extra pick out of it. If they don't bite, we have a deal hammered out with Gholston either way and he is the choice.

Maybe it's me dreaming, but who knows at this point!?

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
                      People that don't follow Miami won't be on a Miami board. It's rare you see anyone but me, you, quag, bow and guru on here.

People might not post on the Miami board but I guarantee you they are looking for info in regards to the #1 pick. This is a draft site and people are looking for any type of info they can get. I go on other boards all the time to try to find info in regards to preparing my mock draft and to see the local news on other teams. It's called research

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                        Don't have a heart attack BBC! :)

I am surprised you didnt get a heart attack when the news first broke out about Jake Long. Way to keep composed HAHHAHAHA

Comment

This is not a surprise. You look at the number of teams that are hoping the dolphins pass on Jake Long with the #1 overall pick, teams like the falcons and chiefs and rams all few slots under the phins. The dolphins are just making it look like their going to draft Jake Long so that other teams if they want Jake Long enough will trade with the Dolphins. I think if the dolphins don't trade the pick they will draft Chris Long.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaFootball View Post
                            This is not a surprise. You look at the number of teams that are hoping the dolphins pass on Jake Long with the #1 overall pick, teams like the falcons and chiefs and rams all few slots under the phins. The dolphins are just making it look like their going to draft Jake Long so that other teams if they want Jake Long enough will trade with the Dolphins. I think if the dolphins don't trade the pick they will draft Chris Long.
                            As alreayd stated. Teams already know it's between Jake Long, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. If a team really wanted Jake Long they would have already discussed a trade with us. Starting contract negociations with him doesn't change anything as we are talking contracts with all 3.

Teams already expect us to take Jake Long so talking numbers with him is really unimportant as far as trade downs go. If a team wanted to trade up for Jake, I promise you the contract negociations have nothing to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaFootball View Post
                              Then why the negotiations with Gholston?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information