No announcement yet.

Jake Long is a Miami Dolphin!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pick IMO, i'm always one that belives in building a team threw it offensive and defensive line.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
    XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
    Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
    http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
      who do you guys have now

Long
      Smiley
      Stalete(sp)
      some guy
      Some guy who was picked three years ago.
      How about this:

LT: Jake Long (22) - Number 1 Overall pick. Pro Bowl potential.
      LG: ???
      C: Samson Satele (23)- 2007 2nd RD. Was arguably the best rookie OL in football last season after Joe Thomas.
      RG: Justin Smiley (26)- Former 2nd RD with the 49ers. Was on his way to becoming one of the leagues better OGs before his injury last season.
      RT: Vernon Carey (26)- 2004 1st RD. Was one of the league best RT before moving to LT last year where he showed promise. Will likely see a Pro Bowl at some point as a RT.

Plus we have one of the best OL gurus in the league with HC Tony Sparano.

Tons of young talent on our line and with some more added depth and growth, we should be among the leagues best OL within a couple of years. Not a single guy picked after RD 2. Lots of talent and money invest at this spot now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
        How about this:

LT: Jake Long (22) - Number 1 Overall pick. Pro Bowl potential.
        LG: ???
        C: Samson Satele (23)- 2007 2nd RD. Was arguably the best rookie OL in football last season after Joe Thomas.
        RG: Justin Smiley (26)- Former 2nd RD with the 49ers. Was on his way to becoming one of the leagues better OGs before his injury last season.
        RT: Vernon Carey (26)- 2004 1st RD. Was one of the league best RT before moving to LT last year where he showed promise. Will likely see a Pro Bowl at some point as a RT.

Plus we have one of the best OL gurus in the league with HC Tony Sparano.

Tons of young talent on our line and with some more added depth and growth, we should be among the leagues best OL within a couple of years. Not a single guy picked after RD 2. Lots of talent and money invest at this spot now.
        Joe,

While I agree with you on Satele and Long, I would not give Smiley & Carey that kind of credit yet. However, I think getting Sparano there along with Carey being on a contract yr is really going to make them better. This unit should be vastly improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Quagmire View Post
          Joe,

While I agree with you on Satele and Long, I would not give Smiley & Carey that kind of credit yet. However, I think getting Sparano there along with Carey being on a contract yr is really going to make them better. This unit should be vastly improved.
          Ask any 49er fan and they will tell you Smiley was a very good OG before he got hurt. They rave about the way he pulls from the RG spot. I haven't watched him more then just casually so I'm basing my statements on what I've heard from tons of 49er fans.

Carey was lights out as a run blocker at RT before the switch to LT. He was playing extremely well. And this is coming from a big critic of his as I don't think he has full lived up to what I expected from him coming out of Miami. But he was absolutely on his way to being a top notch RT before his move and has the potential to go to a Pro Bowl there and even more so if he ever moves inside. I think he has elite ability at OG if he ever makes the switch.

BTW...Love the Jason Allen trade. Lowers the chance of Long or Gholston falling to the Jets or Pats as well as lifting the asking price on DEs. I now Jared Allen is 26 but he also has never won defensive MVP, has not been anywhere as good as Jason Taylor, and Allen has tons of off the field baggage as he is close to being suspended for a year. He that can land a mid 1st and 2 3rds, I see no reason why we shouldn't be shopping Jason for at least a 1st rounder in the 22-30 range. Maybe the Jags, Titans, 49ers and Packers could all have interest and use a pass rusher. If the guy they want comes off the board during the draft maybe we entice one of them to pull the trigger?
          Last edited by Joeyjr09; 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Great pick by the Dolphins, giving them a franchise left tackle imo. Congrats, Dolphins fans.
            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Ask any 49er fan and they will tell you Smiley was a very good OG before he got hurt. They rave about the way he pulls from the RG spot. I haven't watched him more then just casually so I'm basing my statements on what I've heard from tons of 49er fans.

Carey was lights out as a run blocker at RT before the switch to LT. He was playing extremely well. And this is coming from a big critic of his as I don't think he has full lived up to what I expected from him coming out of Miami. But he was absolutely on his way to being a top notch RT before his move and has the potential to go to a Pro Bowl there and even more so if he ever moves inside. I think he has elite ability at OG if he ever makes the switch.

BTW...Love the Jason Allen trade. Lowers the chance of Long or Gholston falling to the Jets or Pats as well as lifting the asking price on DEs. I now Jared Allen is 26 but he also has never won defensive MVP, has not been anywhere as good as Jason Taylor, and Allen has tons of off the field baggage as he is close to being suspended for a year. He that can land a mid 1st and 2 3rds, I see no reason why we shouldn't be shopping Jason for at least a 1st rounder in the 22-30 range. Maybe the Jags, Titans, 49ers and Packers could all have interest and use a pass rusher. If the guy they want comes off the board during the draft maybe we entice one of them to pull the trigger?
              Joe,

I agree that the line will be better and I hope you are right about their potential because I still think there is work to be done.

As for the JT trade, I would be STUNNED if they were to land a #1 for him. He is much older than Allen and has a contract that would probably have to reworked. I can't see them doing any better than a #2 and some other considerations (either switching spots in rounds, or some later picks). I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see any way they land a #1 for a 34 yr old unless they throw other stuff in the deal........ Don't get me wrong, I have campaigned that they must trade him, I just think a #1 is unrealistic for a player his age........

Comment

Originally posted by Quagmire View Post
                Joe,

I agree that the line will be better and I hope you are right about their potential because I still think there is work to be done.

As for the JT trade, I would be STUNNED if they were to land a #1 for him. He is much older than Allen and has a contract that would probably have to reworked. I can't see them doing any better than a #2 and some other considerations (either switching spots in rounds, or some later picks). I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see any way they land a #1 for a 34 yr old unless they throw other stuff in the deal........ Don't get me wrong, I have campaigned that they must trade him, I just think a #1 is unrealistic for a player his age........

Reports are that they are asking for something in the mid 1st round. However, They are saying a more likely destination is between picks 26 and 37. I could certainly live with that.

As for the contract. JTs contract is in no way worse then the one Jared Allen got that makes him the high paid Defensive player in the NFL.

Really the only thing Allen has on JT is age. That's all. JT is the better player, has the better career, the better contract, is a better leader, doesn't come with off the field issues. Only hitch is that Allen is 26 and JT is 33. While that's a pretty big deal, to a team like the Jags who are interested and are a top contender heading into next season, it might be worth it for them to give up their low 1st for JT and JT will be better over the next 2-3 seasons then anyone they can get with that pick. There's so much turnover in the NFL that contenders will make moves like that to get a guy they feel could put them over the top. I certainly could see Jacksonville making that deal without a doubt.

I think it'll come down to draft day and who is on the board at the picks that are likely being talked about in a JT trade.

Comment

Jason Taylor is not better than Jared Allen right now.

That is correct comahan
                  I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                  <3 dg

Comment

Jason Taylor is absolutely better then Jared Allen. Jared Allen is just a hot name right now because he is young and coming off a big year. Jared Allen the year before last had only 7.5 sacks and was pretty ordinary. His career high before then was 11. Solid for sure but nothing to right home about. This stuff happens all the time. Guy has a great year in a contract year, gets a big contract and then returns to form. He's a good DE, he is not special and he is no where near one of the top defensive players in the NFL.

Jason Taylor is what was considered a kinda tough year for him last year still put up 11 sacks and year in, year out gets you 12-13 sacks and has averaged 11.7 over his career. You know what you are getting with JT.

Jared Allen is just a hot name because he's young, he has much coveted pass rush skills, and he was very much avialable and open. JT on the other hand is getting older, and Tuna keeps saying he will be dealt. Allen has just been blown up by the media coming off his best year in a contract season.

Don't get confused Allen having a better season last year with him being a better player overall. Jared Allen has proven to be inconsistent (his stats go way up and down every other year), his motor runs hot a cold at times, and he hasn't been the best leader/clubhouse guy. He has issues despite his upside.

Jason Taylor is consistent, you know what you are getting, he a leader and he gives his effort on every play.

I think the bottom line is this:

Jared Allen is one of the leagues better sack artists.
                    Jason Taylor is one of the leagues better game changers/playmaker.

One season does not change that.

Comment

His motor runs hot and cold? You sure you're talking about Jared Allen? Last season Allen outplayed Taylor and I don't expect that to change. Taylor is declining and Allen is getting better. Allen led the league in sacks and he is also very good against the run. As a part time guy he had 9 sacks, then had 11 and got more attention and his production dropped. Not really up and down. Jason Taylor has had an amazing career but right now Allen is better and you can't expect to get close to the same thing that the Chiefs got for Allen for Taylor.

That is correct comahan
                      I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                      <3 dg

Comment

Jason Taylor is absolutely better then Jared Allen. Jared Allen is just a hot name right now because he is young and coming off a big year. Jared Allen the year before last had only 7.5 sacks and was pretty ordinary. His career high before then was 11. Solid for sure but nothing to right home about. This stuff happens all the time. Guy has a great year in a contract year, gets a big contract and then returns to form. He's a good DE, he is not special and he is no where near one of the top defensive players in the NFL.

Jason Taylor is what was considered a kinda tough year for him last year still put up 11 sacks and year in, year out gets you 12-13 sacks and has averaged 11.7 over his career. You know what you are getting with JT.

Jared Allen is just a hot name because he's young, he has much coveted pass rush skills, and he was very much avialable and open. JT on the other hand is getting older, and Tuna keeps saying he will be dealt. Allen has just been blown up by the media coming off his best year in a contract season.

Don't get confused Allen having a better season last year with him being a better player overall. Jared Allen has proven to be inconsistent (his stats go way up and down every other year), his motor runs hot a cold at times, and he hasn't been the best leader/clubhouse guy. He has issues despite his upside.

Jason Taylor is consistent, you know what you are getting, he a leader and he gives his effort on every play.

I think the bottom line is this:

Jared Allen is one of the leagues better sack artists.
                        Jason Taylor is one of the leagues better game changers/playmaker.

One season does not change that.
                        I think you are severely underrating Jared Allen. And I'm not sure exactly why.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                          you can't expect to get close to the same thing that the Chiefs got for Allen for Taylor.
                          Where did I ever say I expected to get close to what Jared Allen fetched? That'd be crazy. Come on now.

Allen got the number 17 overall plus 2 mid 3rd round picks.

I was talking about a single 1st for JT and I even said 26 is the most likely target.

That's not even close to Jared Allen territory. And there's no debating that the Allen trade ups JTs value. The price for DE on the trade market was set and now they can work off that and luckily for us it was set very high. On top of that, there's one less DE on the market which also raises JTs value.

I'm going into this thinking we will likely come out with a mid to high 2nd rounder but I see no reason why we couldn't end up with a low 1st for him and the team is trying for even more. No harm in that.

Comment

You guys are forgetting one important thing. Jason Taylor is also a MUCH better dancer than Allen.

Okay, maybe not the right time to bring this up, but still...:)
                            I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
                              You guys are forgetting one important thing. Jason Taylor is also a MUCH better dancer than Allen.

Okay, maybe not the right time to bring this up, but still...:)
                              haha, maybe not. But we could talk about Edyta... I could talk about her all day! :)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Where did I ever say I expected to get close to what Jared Allen fetched? That'd be crazy. Come on now.

Allen got the number 17 overall plus 2 mid 3rd round picks.

I was talking about a single 1st for JT and I even said 26 is the most likely target.

That's not even close to Jared Allen territory. And there's no debating that the Allen trade ups JTs value. The price for DE on the trade market was set and now they can work off that and luckily for us it was set very high. On top of that, there's one less DE on the market which also raises JTs value.

I'm going into this thinking we will likely come out with a mid to high 2nd rounder but I see no reason why we couldn't end up with a low 1st for him and the team is trying for even more. No harm in that.
                                Joe,

I cannot see them landing a #1 for Taylor unless they throw something else in. You make it seem like #26 is not a lot to give up. If I was running the Jaguars, there is no doubt that Taylor is the guy I would pursue because he really could be the missing piece. But, at most I would drop down from 26 to 32 and then maybe throw my low #2 and maybe a #4 to make the deal.

By the way, good link to an article in this morning's sun-sentinel that nails it

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...2908097.column
                                Last edited by Quagmire; 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information