Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the Vikings take DeSean Jackson or Reggie Smith?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid_Ego View Post
    Im sure hes a great guy. But he isnt the answer at qb. when defenses put 10 guys in the box and your coach still wont let you throw the ball or your not smart enough to audible I dont see you as being part of the solution more part of the problem
    ditto.
    vince young type
    except with out the winning record

Comment

Well Jackson is 8-4 as a starter but i really thing if you look at those games the very best you could say is jackson didnt lose the game. More then saying that he won the games.

I guess Im a guy who thinks that if he is the best qb on the team he will win the job and if hes scared of competition then there is probably a reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid_Ego View Post
        Well Jackson is 8-4 as a starter but i really thing if you look at those games the very best you could say is jackson didnt lose the game. More then saying that he won the games.

I guess Im a guy who thinks that if he is the best qb on the team he will win the job and if hes scared of competition then there is probably a reason for that.
        well yeah, you can say he's your best shot at winning, but with kelly holcomb and brooks bollinger back there, that's not saying a whole lot.
        i would have loved to see Derek Anderson in a Vikes uni.. if the browns cant get him signed, i'd be more than glad to give up my first for him

Comment

Neither, they should take Jordy Nelson, they need a big, strong, fast receiver with great hands, Jackson is to small and will be another Sinorice Moss in the NFL. Being that Tavaris Jackson is not the most accurate QB, Nelson will be able to adjust to poorly thrown balls much better then Jackson and is much harder to bring down. All Desean Jackson has on Nelson is that he is quicker off the line of scrimmage, Nelson has him beat in every other catagory. After Nelson's showing at the senior bowl, all he has to do now is run a sub 4.5 and he will soar up draft boards.

Comment

Chilly has come out and said he doesn't believe in drafting a WR in round 1, but I don't know what his stance on that would be if indeed the Vikings had a WR as BPA at their selection.

I think Reggie Smith would be a great addition to the Vikings with his ability to play CB or S. He's like Dwight Smith without the pot and "consensual horseplay" in the stairwell of a night club. Not to mention that the Vikings have no youth and no depth at the S position with Doss and Tank both being FA's. I dream of Kenny Phillips, but I won't complain about Smith.

Comment

i think they should take a big WR in the 2nd or 3rd to move the chains and let AD and Chester make the big plays. tarvaris is not a deep threat as a QB so why draft a deep threat WR?

Comment

jackson, then you could have a good duo of Jackson to Jackson or double Js.

Comment

Originally posted by sidvicious68330 View Post
                  Neither, they should take Jordy Nelson, they need a big, strong, fast receiver with great hands, Jackson is to small and will be another Sinorice Moss in the NFL. Being that Tavaris Jackson is not the most accurate QB, Nelson will be able to adjust to poorly thrown balls much better then Jackson and is much harder to bring down. All Desean Jackson has on Nelson is that he is quicker off the line of scrimmage, Nelson has him beat in every other catagory. After Nelson's showing at the senior bowl, all he has to do now is run a sub 4.5 and he will soar up draft boards.
                  Not with the first round pick I'm assuming.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                    Not with the first round pick I'm assuming.
                    i think it would be a reach if he doesnt run under a 4.50 40 to take him in the first.. but i really really doubt he would be there when the vikes pick in the 2nd

Comment

nelson is not a fast receiver nor will he be drafted in the first round. plus the vikings already have their jump ball, soft hands type of receiver in sidney rice whom jackson would be a good speed complement to.
                      Now the only ones I take are the ones that I wear
                      Ain't takin no shorts no more

Comment

I'm not a big fan of a WR in the first, it's one of the very few things that I agree with Childress about. I mean Rice looked as good last year as any first rounder not named Bowe and has as much potential as any not named Johnson.

I think the 2nd or even the 3rd is the WR range for the Vikes and if I was to try and make a mock that is where the WR would fall. It is an obvious and glaring hole, but I dont think the guys you get at 17 are worth the risk they present, basically they either have character issues or are from a bigger program than the guys who go in the 2nd.

I think safety is the biggest need. We really have an awful pair of safeties. We have 4 solid backup safeties right now, so keep two of those and get 2 starters really needs to be the plan but I don't really like any safety outside Phillips in the first round this year and I just don't see how he falls to 17.

I think we would be stupid to pass on Rivers if he fell. Ditto for either Dorsey or Ellis but I can't see anyway any of them fall to us either.

That basically leaves DE or OT of our obvious needs. McKinnie gives us the bonus of basically being able to pick either a RT or LT but I would certainly prefer a legit LT and move McKinnie to the right. Then we would have a very strong OL with only really RG as even a partial weakness. McKinnie at LT is a problem in the pass game because he just can't block quick players.

DE is interesting, we really need a pure pass rush guy, Udeze actually plays the run really well, he just doesn't get a consistent enough push on pass plays. Can't bank on James ever getting healthy, from here on he is just a bonus, if he gets healthy it's great, but plan as though he wont. Robison looks solid, I think with a couple more years development he really could be a Kampman type, he has a great motor but we need DE help.

To be honest though I would like to trade out of the first. Unless Gholston, Dorsey, Long, Long, Ellis, Rivers or Phillips is still there Im not sure the value is there. I quite like several of the other OT prospects also, but I'm not sold on them either. If we could do something similar to Dallas last year or even better New England, and possibly pick up say a 2nd and a 1st next year, I think it would be ideal but I can't really see the prospect that falls to create that situation either.

Going to be a tough draft, I still think we messed up by winning games late in the year, just didn't help us at all, if we pick 8th for example we get a legit guy who probably puts us in the playoffs for real next year, as it is we are picking in the worst section of the draft where the value does not equal the cost.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Whats the story on the kid from purdue Edwards how long is he suspended for because I really thought this kid could pass rush. To me with edwards and robinson on passing down and it changes our pass rush completely. I agree on the saftys but i dont see any reason to draft one with a reach. Trading down makes the most sense unless someone falls and we can use the threes to trade up.

Im still not sold on the qb situation and safty wo and dl can all be addreseed in the F/A

Comment

ur dead wrong

Originally posted by Cunningham View Post
                            nelson is not a fast receiver nor will he be drafted in the first round. plus the vikings already have their jump ball, soft hands type of receiver in sidney rice whom jackson would be a good speed complement to.
                            For the record, he has been timed at 10.6 in the 100 meter dash in high school, so i would imagine that he has improved upon that time with 5 years of maturning & weight training. Just as a reference, Ten Ginn Jr. ran a 10.5 and his speed does not get questioned. So hold off on those "he is not a fast receiver" assumptions. Once he gets timed at the combine, and shows that for his size, that he has braylen edwards type speed (mid 4.4), he will be a very viable option for the vikes in the first round.

Comment

For the record, he has been timed at 10.6 in the 100 meter dash in high school, so i would imagine that he has improved upon that time with 5 years of maturning & weight training. Just as a reference, Ten Ginn Jr. ran a 10.5 and his speed does not get questioned. So hold off on those "he is not a fast receiver" assumptions. Once he gets timed at the combine, and shows that for his size, that he has braylen edwards type speed (mid 4.4), he will be a very viable option for the vikes in the first round.
                              JORDYZZZ NELSONZZZZ ZOMG!!!

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think this should be in Team Boards, right?

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
                                1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
                                2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
                                3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
                                3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
                                4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
                                5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
                                6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
                                7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union

Comment

Working...