No announcement yet.

Drafting a QB....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea im hoping we stay far far away from lelie all we need is another reciever that cant catch. . . Im not sure the Darrel Jackson trade is realistic i dont think seattle wants to trade with us after last season unless the wounds have healed and they have moved on but i dont think so i dont see seattle giving us a reasonable deal unless there desperate to deal Darrel Jackson

Comment

From the perspective of Brad Childress:

I have been big on TJack since seeing him show incredible promise in the pre-season, and think he might become something special, but if Brady Quinn is there at the 7th overall pick, I take him without hesitation whatsoever.

So I spent a 2nd round pick on Tarvaris Jackson, so I even traded up to do so - who cares. No one is going to remember that 5 years from now, but they will remember success, who my quarterback is, and whether or not I'm still the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. To have the rare opportunity at a Brady Quinn is one I can't afford passing up: Quinn is everything I could ask for at the league's most critical position, be it physical attributes, mental attributes, character, or intangibles. He's the sterling face of a franchise for a franchise that desperately has sought it for some time, he's the guy I can attach to the hip in what could be my only tenure as a head coach, and his success will utlimately prove to be the drawing power that can help the Vikings land a stadium deal (and thereby ensure me invaluable grace in the eyes of the team's owner).

Quinn will take the mantle of leader of my Minnesota Vikings, setting the tone for everyone else just as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning do, and will help us contend for postseason success annually. If he's there at the 7th overall pick, I send in my selection immediately and try to get him signed as soon as possible so he can compete for the starting position from day one. If he beats out Tarvaris Jackson, so be it; I'll have the benefit of two playmaking quarterbacks on my roster who are pushing each other every day, and maybe I'll trade Jackson in a few years as a farming project with interest (see Matt Schaub).
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
        Jackson was hardly a second rounder though. if I remember correctly, he was the last pick of the 2nd round... Thats basically a 3rd rounder
        If he was selected in the second round, he's not a second rounder? O yeah, thats right...

Comment

I posted this elsewhere, so most of you guys can bypass this...but
          with the trade today between Detroit and Denver, the Lions really have
          no need to stay in their current draft spot. Joe Thomas (who would've been
          the likely pick) isn't neccesary now that they have Foster to play one of the OT spots where Backus will play the other.
          With Joe Thomas now very likely to end up at 5 (if anyone trades into that slot it'd be to take CJ or AD) the Cardinals are probably out of the trading picture.
          Oakland is rumored to be very interested in Jeff Garcia (why I'm not sure, because his arm is suited for the WCO and Oakland has long been a team that's implemented a vertical passing game) which, if that happens (and that would mean Davis still has faith in Andrew Walters)...Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn might both be available at 3 (just 5 picks away from where we select).
          ...who cares ? you say. Actually the trade today , and this announcement from Oakland means that CJ is all but sealed as the #1 or #2 pick. And that
          the likelyhood of the best player at our spot will be a QB.

Comment

They are trying to trade Foster, I think they still need OL, and Foster might have moved to RG anyways.

Any chance the Vikings trade to #3 with the Browns and draft CJ? Give T-Jack all the weapons he needs to succeed then evaluate him.

Comment

All these mock drafts now have Brady Quinn going to the Vikes. I just don't see it happening, even if Quinn happens to fall to 7. I expect Childress to pass on Quinn.
              "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
              4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

Just admit you don't like Quinn and that it has nothing to do with Childress.
                Quinn completed 58 of 61 passes, showed good footwork and arm strength.. Logic says that he won't be available at 7...anyways, but if he is...he will be the pick.

Comment

I dont think any of us can really speculate considering the secrecy surrounding Childress HQ. Nobody really knows whats going as he doesnt release any information. Actually, what am I saying, speculate away...it's why we're here...
                  What if everyone simultaneously disobeys?
                  It aint a game if no one plays, oh.

Comment

I have trouble thinking that Childress will pass on Quinn when he was one of the only coaches at his pro-day. I think, or at least I hope, Childress is serious about getting him.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

lol...that's funny.

BTW who is that soccer player in your sig ? that's not Freddie Adu is it ?

...and the Vikes and Cleveland sent more than 1 guy to scout Quinn's pro day...if Cleveland decides to go with Peterson / Branch or Russell (if he falls)
                      then there's no other team that will take a QB...not because of Quinn but
                      because they've already taken their franchise signal callers and have to much invested in them to spend another top 6 pick on a QB.
                      1- Oakland Just took Andrew Walter 2 years ago with a much higher 2nd round pick than was Tarvaris Jackson...yet the Raiders understand that
                      franchise QB's like Russell and Quinn aren't to be passed on. If the Raiders
                      make yet another draft day blunder and bypass QB they'll go Calvin Johnson
                      which would be BPA.

2- Detroit spent F/A money last year on McCown and Kitna...Kitna finished
                      in the top 11 of QB's for passing yards and comp %...Martz likes him...
                      but the real reason they go Defense here is they lost Dre Bly, picked up
                      a 2nd tier RB to match with Kevin Jones and Matt Millen has been pressured
                      to go defense ...just as he did last year. Calvin Johnson is a better "outside
                      shot" to be picked here than a QB...my guess is Joe Thomas or a DE goes here.

3- Cleveland Romeo Crennel has ties to Charlie Weiss...but freinships only go
                      so far, Crennell isn't going to pick a QB (IMO) when there is such a need
                      to take a RB. Rueben Droghns forces QB's to play better than they have to
                      because no one respects Droughns as a runner...safteies and corners play up
                      LB's run blitz more often and Cleveland struggles on offense.
                      Braylon Edwards and K2 are very good...but without a running attack they're
                      very limited..plus Derrick Anderson is decent and Charlie Frye was a draft
                      pick the entire staff was high on.....they'll take Peterson (AD) and give the
                      Browns the RB they've been missing since......ummm....Ernest Byner? or
                      Kevin Mack?

4- Tampa Bay just signed Jeff Garcia and has Gradkowski and Simms
                      The Bucs D is old and unless Calvin Johnson falls to them, they'll go D.
                      D-Line first then probably S as Ronde Barber has hinted at following Tiki's
                      lead and retireing at this season end... their pick is between CJ/Adams/Anderson.

5- Arizona just took Leinart last year
                      There's zero chance they take a QB....but they might be sweet talked
                      into trading down from here..if Carolina or Jax or a Baltimore / Chicago
                      wanted to trade up...I think it might happen. If there's atrade to be
                      made it'd either be here or with the Redskins. Joe Thomas (should he fall)
                      makes sense for both the Cards and SKins....if he doesn't, they both need DE's too. Look for which ever end is left to be taken.

6- Washington just handed the reigns over Jason Campbell and is still
                      overpaying Mark Brunell to back him up. They tried signing Leonard Little
                      but weren't going to overpay to get him...I wouldn't be shocked to see Dan
                      Snyder move up or down. If Joe Thomas is here..he's the no brainer...but
                      they're desperate for a RDE ...Adam Carriker or Jammal Anderson would be
                      perfect fits here.

which leaves us at 7 to grab the BPA...in this case it's easily Quinn.
                      If not , we'll justify the Tank Williams release by taking another big time saftey in Landry.

Comment

Just nitpicking, but I believe that Andrew Walter was a third rounder.
                        SKOL VIKINGS!

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
                          Just admit you don't like Quinn and that it has nothing to do with Childress.
                          Quinn completed 58 of 61 passes, showed good footwork and arm strength.. Logic says that he won't be available at 7...anyways, but if he is...he will be the pick.
                          I don't like Quinn or Russell. If it was up to me, we would have traded up last year for Jay Cutler.

And it doesn't matter who I like, just like it doesn't matter who you like. It matters who Childress likes, and I think he is too stubborn/arrogant to already give up on "his guy" Tarvaris Jackson.

Tarvaris drove up and met him at the Senior Bowl and they met and dined together, and were (quote) "sharing ideas about the offense" (end quote). Tarvaris was at Winter Park when the Vikes inked Shiancoe. Childress thinks Jackson is his franchise QB.

Don't report me for saying this....
                          "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
                          4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

Yep you're right. Walter was the 69th player chosen in 05...sorry.
                            (Jackson was taken 64th overall last year...to compare)

Comment

Originally posted by swagger View Post
                              I don't like Quinn or Russell. If it was up to me, we would have traded up last year for Jay Cutler.

And it doesn't matter who I like, just like it doesn't matter who you like. It matters who Childress likes, and I think he is too stubborn/arrogant to already give up on "his guy" Tarvaris Jackson.

Tarvaris drove up and met him at the Senior Bowl and they met and dined together, and were (quote) "sharing ideas about the offense" (end quote). Tarvaris was at Winter Park when the Vikes inked Shiancoe. Childress thinks Jackson is his franchise QB.

Don't report me for saying this....
                              I read that too...also said when Childress brought up the possibility of taking a QB jackson was all for it saying that competition is good.

and I agree.

Comment

I don't know what Andrew Walter has to with anything... he's terrible.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information