Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drafting a QB....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I bring up Andrew Walter to compare his situation to T Jacksons.
    Neither had a running game, their WR's weren't much of a help
    neither had a TE to offset the lack of WR's and both had Defenses better
    than given credit for.

    They're very similar, yet people for whatever reason (ahem) think that Jamarcus Russell being taken by the Raiders is a "no brainer" yet think that Brady Quinn to the Vikes would be a huge mistake.

    Both teams need a QB... a real one. not some bad experiment or project, a real identity for their teams. Same situation and the result will be the same.
    The Raiders and Vikings are the most logical places that these 2 QB's end up.
    (Unless of course the CLeveland Scarecrows visit the Wizard and get that braid they were hoping for).

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
      I read that too...also said when Childress brought up the possibility of taking a QB jackson was all for it saying that competition is good.


      and I agree.
      Childress also stated that we were for sure heading into next season with Tarvaris and Bollinger. The only reason he is releasing this Brady Quinn crap is to make up for his mistake of showing his hand in regards to the draft. Childress is tight-lipped about everything, are you really gullible enough to believe this crap Childress is throwing out there about drafting a quarterback??

      We aren't a good enough team to use a top-10 pick merely for the sake of "good competition".
      "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

      sig by vikes99ej

      RIP Sean Taylor
      4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

      Comment


      • #33
        I would agree...but what in Childress' past has he shown for you to assume that this is all b.s. ?

        oh, and bollinger and jackson are our QB's going into next year, if BQ or another QB is drafted..then they'll be ADDED to the position.

        I realize this is hard for people on here to comprehend but a QB coming in
        isn't taking the #1 spot ...not right away at least.
        Going into next year Jackson or Bolllinger will be our starter.
        That MIGHT or MIGHT NOT change based on personel and record after week 8.
        And at #7 the talent at that spot suggests Quinn is the highest rated player on the board, the competition remark was from Jackson not Childress.
        As a H.C. it's Childress' job to ensure that he's done evernthing to make the team better...within reason.
        Taking a Qb 2 rounds higher than he should've been then thrusting him into the starting spot with 3 games to go in the season, even though we were mathematically still in the playoff hunt... made Childress look more clownish around the league than people realize. Now we've lost our only proven QB to the Cowboys and we really are stuck with 2 guys who don't have the experience , skill or mindset to be a starter.

        Of course you don't like any QB prospect this year...so the Vikes should take a DT ...although that goes against your statement of saying we're not good enough of a team to draft for depth or competition.
        Joke.

        Comment


        • #34
          Good point Swagger. Childress could just be trying to get the Panthers or someone else to panic so they would want to trade up with us. Or Childress could just be that stupid and be completely serious. You just don't know with this team.


          http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #35
            Seriously if the Panthers or jaguars or Ravens or any other team is "scared" into trading up they'd trade up ahead of a team they feel their competing against NOT that team itself.

            for the love of God think about it....if we go to Carolina and say "he we're thinkin about taking Quinn but we know you want him" doesn't that just say "hey we really have no interest in him".

            I'm taking it you kids haven't bought a house yet or a car....you don't come out and say "gee I'd love to pay full price and top dolllar, I'll bend over while you just tell me where to sign".

            Seriously Arizona and Detroit have more to offer as far as their selection and probably want out of their spots more than any other top 10 teams.
            If Quinn is traded for it won't be with the Vikings...I'm 200% positive of that..so I don't buy the whole "he's using this for leverage" unless of course
            he's secretly working for another club that drafts above us.

            Comment


            • #36
              anyone ever think it could be both? ... maybe Childress likes brady Quinn but he hasnt made his mind up on taking him, so if draft day comes and brady quinn is sitting at 7 and someone gives him an a great offer than his mind would be made up for him and he would trade down or if he doesnt get any good offers he can take brady quinn... I personally think that yes childress sincerely likes brady quinn but i also believe that he believes T-Jack is Completely capable of being a very good QB, and hes Just covering all his bases so he can do whatever it is he wants come draft day

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
                I would agree...but what in Childress' past has he shown for you to assume that this is all b.s. ?

                oh, and bollinger and jackson are our QB's going into next year, if BQ or another QB is drafted..then they'll be ADDED to the position.

                I realize this is hard for people on here to comprehend but a QB coming in
                isn't taking the #1 spot ...not right away at least.
                Going into next year Jackson or Bolllinger will be our starter.
                That MIGHT or MIGHT NOT change based on personel and record after week 8.
                And at #7 the talent at that spot suggests Quinn is the highest rated player on the board, the competition remark was from Jackson not Childress.
                As a H.C. it's Childress' job to ensure that he's done evernthing to make the team better...within reason.
                Taking a Qb 2 rounds higher than he should've been then thrusting him into the starting spot with 3 games to go in the season, even though we were mathematically still in the playoff hunt... made Childress look more clownish around the league than people realize. Now we've lost our only proven QB to the Cowboys and we really are stuck with 2 guys who don't have the experience , skill or mindset to be a starter.

                Of course you don't like any QB prospect this year...so the Vikes should take a DT ...although that goes against your statement of saying we're not good enough of a team to draft for depth or competition.
                Joke.
                BS. You don't use a top-10 pick on a quarterback and invest as much money in a top-10 contract (especially in new market) to simply "ADD" a guy to a position.

                You really expect anyone to believe that crap? That we are going to draft BRady Quinn at 7 overall and then have an open competition for starting quarterback this season and beyond? A fair open competition?

                How many defensive tackles do we have on the roster behind K-Will and 35 year old Pat Williams? Is Pat an every down DT? Hmmm.....maybe DT is a need.
                "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

                sig by vikes99ej

                RIP Sean Taylor
                4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Severe Punishment
                  Seriously if the Panthers or jaguars or Ravens or any other team is "scared" into trading up they'd trade up ahead of a team they feel their competing against NOT that team itself.

                  for the love of God think about it....if we go to Carolina and say "he we're thinkin about taking Quinn but we know you want him" doesn't that just say "hey we really have no interest in him".

                  I'm taking it you kids haven't bought a house yet or a car....you don't come out and say "gee I'd love to pay full price and top dolllar, I'll bend over while you just tell me where to sign".
                  I agree with the first part... but as for the underlined part if brady quinn is there at 7 it no longer matters because if a team truely wants him they arent just going to turn the vikings away when the texans(a team currently shopping there starting QB) are sitting there right behind us i think it would be a breath of fresh air for those teams hearing that... but i do think they would trade ahead of us just not with detroit or arizona that would be costly unless in fact it was the texans trying to trade up, I think they are more likely to trade with Washington a team with 1 pick in the first 5 rounds would definatly be much cheaper to bargain with than anyone else
                  Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 03-06-2007, 08:08 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    BS. You don't use a top-10 pick on a quarterback and invest as much money in a top-10 contract (especially in new market) to simply "ADD" a guy to a position.
                    No, you don't waste a top 10 pick a DT when the 2 DT's we have
                    are pro bowl caliber. You don't waste a top 10 pick at CB when you have
                    one of the best tandem in the league and the Nickel is good enough
                    to start on 4 or 5 teams..
                    what you DO , do is take superior talent at a position where you're weak.
                    Like it or not QB is as weak a position to us as WR.
                    That's just a fact, deal with it.

                    You really expect anyone to believe that crap? That we are going to draft BRady Quinn at 7 overall and then have an open competition for starting quarterback this season and beyond? A fair open competition?
                    I don't "expect" people in here to do anything but use their head.
                    When have I ever said there'd be anyone starting next year other than Jackson or Bollinger...you need to be able to comprehend what it is
                    what you're reading in order to look like you have a clue.

                    How many defensive tackles do we have on the roster behind K-Will and 35 year old Pat Williams? Is Pat an every down DT? Hmmm.....maybe DT is a need.
                    Spencer Johnson and Ross Kolodziej are both capable of playing a down and Both Williams' RARELY take plays off at the same time. and when exactly did I say DT depth shouldn't be addressed ?????
                    Someone like a Mebane / Harrell / McBean or marcus Thomas could very easily be taken in the 3rd or 4th and would be more than adequate to play sparingly...you don't take a DT at 7 unless you need a starter and believe
                    that whoever is there at 7 would be a starter almost from day 1.

                    Perhaps one of us needs to understand it is the things the other is saying...

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
                      Spencer Johnson and Ross Kolodziej are both capable of playing a down and Both Williams' RARELY take plays off at the same time.
                      Kolodziej got cut, champ.
                      "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

                      sig by vikes99ej

                      RIP Sean Taylor
                      4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        and to be honest... almost any position we are thinking about drafting in the first round right now is going to be for competion with exception at WR. Even if we draft Gaines Adams theres no way to say he is going to automatically step in and start for Udeze or For james chances are that adams will be the situational pass rusher for now, same with Laron landry although he will be more likely to start, and amobi okoye definatly wont start. But i am more comfortable with one of them being brought in for competition. but ill be fine with whatever the pick if its Quinn/Adams/Landry/Okoye

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          yep, Kolodziej was cut.... and Amobi Okoye is Elite talent at his position so what would be wrong with A 19 year old kid that played 4 years of Divison 1 college football at louisville, and not only that he played it well enough to be considered a top 10 pick in the NFL draft that sounds pretty elite to me


                          **edit also... when he applied to go to college here in america when he was around 15 he was smart enough to have gone to Harvard if he wanted too but he went to play footbal at louisville the kid is an Elite talent
                          Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 03-06-2007, 08:59 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
                            I agree with the first part... but as for the underlined part if brady quinn is there at 7 it no longer matters because if a team truely wants him they arent just going to turn the vikings away when the texans(a team currently shopping there starting QB) are sitting there right behind us i think it would be a breath of fresh air for those teams hearing that... but i do think they would trade ahead of us just not with detroit or arizona that would be costly unless in fact it was the texans trying to trade up, I think they are more likely to trade with Washington a team with 1 pick in the first 5 rounds would definatly be much cheaper to bargain with than anyone else
                            Of course it matters. If Houston has any belief in their minds that Minnesota would take Quinn they'd absolutely try and trade up before we pick...not after. When we're sitting there at 7, with the player they want and have stated we want him...that other team has ZERO leverage.
                            If say Washington could be talked to...they might be targeting someone like an Okoye (for example) then Washington would have something to gain / Houston would have something to gain and a deal could be struck.
                            Houston won't wait until we're picking to try and force a deal....that's just not happening.
                            And as far as Houston wanting to trade their QB Carr, that is possible, but he's not worth the spot we hold. To trade up 1 spot Houston would have to give up something like 800 points. (a 2nd round pick) Houston needs way to much to want to throw away picks to move up 1 spot....just doesn't make any sense. If Jake Plummer was available for a 4th round pick Carr right now, at best would be around 300 points (mid 3rd round pick)

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              I didnt really mean for houston... if they want quinn and they dont trade up before it gets to 7 houston would be screwed i meant teams like Panthers or i guess jags whoever... as for carr ah no one wants carr anyways lol

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by swagger View Post
                                Kolodziej got cut, champ.
                                yeah, you're right...he's cut he won't be back...err, umm
                                http://www.kffl.com/player/1278/nfl

                                If I were a betting man, I'd put 20 on him coming back.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information