Quarterback Situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarterback Situation

State your case for a quarterback on the roster, or in free agents that's available.

We'll decide after all the options are on the table to determine the best option. Then we'll invade Winter Park and make our decision.

My option :

Brett Favre - If he's healthy, he's an ideal quarterback in our system. He knows the WCO, knows Brad Childress, and knows Darrell Bevell. He was a legitimate quarterback for the Jets before his arm went dead towards the end of the season, and I'll go ahead and claim that's why he was bad.

IF he's worked out in front of Childress and Bevell, and impresses, there's no reason not to give him a shot with what he's done in his career. This is probably the one team where he'd get the least amount of work with our running game and offensive line.

If I had to pick a quarterback on the roster, I'd pick Tarvaris Jackson. He knows the system better than Rosenfels, and showed some tremendous promise over the last half of the season. I'm a firm believer that if we can give him one more full year at starter, he'll become a serviceable NFL quarterback. We saw the dimension of mobility that he brought last year in relief of Frerotte and that made it that much more difficult to defend. He needs to run a bit more and go through his progressions more efficiently, but he's got all the tools and he's definitely shown flashes of being this team's quarterback.
    "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

JD Booty. They need an accurate passer who will make good decisions with the ball and not force anything. JD's ideal for that. Sage is not a good decision maker and definitely forces a lot of bad passes. I still can't understand why they didn't give JD a shot at some point in 2008. He's the perfect style of QB for that team.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
      JD Booty. They need an accurate passer who will make good decisions with the ball and not force anything. JD's ideal for that. Sage is not a good decision maker and definitely forces a lot of bad passes. I still can't understand why they didn't give JD a shot at some point in 2008. He's the perfect style of QB for that team.
      Because he was absolutely horrid in the preseason and looked like he should have been playing on the psquad for his peewee team. Bad decisions, bad feet, no confidence in his throws... it was REALLY bad. I think Booty would have gotten the nod if Jackson didn't impress so much in Detroit.

Booty will have his shot again in this year's preseason, and if that happens and he performs, he'll get his shot at some point assuming Rosenfels fails.
      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

I have to say Jackson, he showed a huge improvement last year, and remember that those first 2 losses last year weren't really his fault. If Shiancoe doesn't drop that touchdown against the Colts, then Jackson never would have been benched, which he shouldn't have been benched anyways. Yes, he struggled against the Eagles blitzes in the playoffs, but he kept us in the game and if our defense could have tackled Westbrook on that screen or Jackson, we very easily could have won that game.

I don't have much faith in Favre, he's 40, makes a lot of bad decisions, doesn't have the arm strength he used to, and always has been overrated imo.

sig by BK and avy by me
        Originally posted by A Perfect Score
        If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Oh, and I have no faith in JD Booty now or in the future, he was never that good of a QB at USC despite all of the talent he had around him. He has very little arm strength, and while you shouldn't be making decisions based off preseason alone, he looked absolutely horrendous in the preseason last year.

sig by BK and avy by me
          If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
            I have to say Jackson, he showed a huge improvement last year, and remember that those first 2 losses last year weren't really his fault. If Shiancoe doesn't drop that touchdown against the Colts, then Jackson never would have been benched, which he shouldn't have been benched anyways. Yes, he struggled against the Eagles blitzes in the playoffs, but he kept us in the game and if our defense could have tackled Westbrook on that screen or Jackson, we very easily could have won that game.

I don't have much faith in Favre, he's 40, makes a lot of bad decisions, doesn't have the arm strength he used to, and always has been overrated imo.
            I agree that Favre has been overrated, but you have to admit that he can steal a game at any point and time and we sure as hell could have used him at some point last year. Not to mention he won't be the focal point of the offense like he was in NYJ and GB.

The big thing with Jackson was the playoff game. Every little bit of progress he made appeared to vanish once Jim Johnson released the hounds.

Can he recover?

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
              I agree that Favre has been overrated, but you have to admit that he can steal a game at any point and time and we sure as hell could have used him at some point last year. Not to mention he won't be the focal point of the offense like he was in NYJ and GB.

The big thing with Jackson was the playoff game. Every little bit of progress he made appeared to vanish once Jim Johnson released the hounds.

Can he recover?
              Oh, believe me, I know that Favre can steal games, and he wouldn't be the focal point in the offense, but he just isn't anywhere near the same QB he was in his prime.

How many other QBs struggle against the Eagles and their blitzes? A lot of them do, and not just the mediocre ones like Jackson, the stars do too. I think he can recover from it, he has fought through a lot of adversity already. He was playing last year when his young kid was in the hospital, and came back from the benching and played very good up until the playoff game, and even then he was able to keep us in the game.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

I am going to have to go with Tarvaris Jackson. The reason why is that he showed great progress from the first two games to the game versus the Cardinals. Sure he didn't have that great of a performance in the wild card game but he did keep us in that game. The INT in the game was a huge mistake but it was just one that i can remember. I also like his ability to scramble if the pocket collapses. Now with having Harvin, Berrian, AD, Taylor and Shaincoe coming on last year there is no reason for him not to succeed.

I like what Sage can bring to the team..He can manage the game which is what we need but he has a tendency to turn the ball over and thats what makes me worry about him.

JDB shouldn't even be considered as an option right now. He is still raw and still needs to learn.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

JDB after another year sitting will be a stud (at least the man love I have had towards him for years now says so). Right now I just want someone who can manage a game and from time to time take advantage of our two big play receivers (Berrian and Harvin). I don't have a favorite at the moment. All I can hope is that Childress is not a ******* fool and picks the right guy.

Comment

I'm going to go with Rosenfels. Unlike last year when Frerrote was brought in for a backup that may start, Rosenfels has been brought in to compete and I'm not sure that Jackson can handle that pressure. Besides, Childress knows that his job is up for grabs (Thus the risky Harvin pick) and I think he'll have a shorter leash on Jackson than usual. I say Rosenfels is good in preseason, not great (QB Rating in the mid 80s) and does enough to get the start.

Rosenfels is more accurate and seems calmer in the pocket than Jackson, yet can sling one down the field every once in a while. As long as he doesn't try jumping over people, he'll be fine. My vote goes to Sage.
                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I could also go on a rant about how Uncle Joe from Willky Wonka is a major dick.

Comment

I think that Favre would give us the best chance to go deep in the playoffs. As others have mentioned, he would have to shoulder the load less (with AD and a really strong defense) than his last few years in GB & NY. His vast amount of experience would also give him the edge.

Unfortunately, i don't think that either Rosenfels or T-Jack give us a strong chance to win it all.

I would really like to have Favre come in for a year & allow Jackson a chance to learn from a real WC QB. I like T-Jack's skill set, but i still think that the mental game is his short coming. Maybe Favre could help him learn the intricacies & improve....

maybe it is just all wishful thinking :(
                      Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                      Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Originally posted by djp View Post
                        I'll admit that even if he's getting older, he can still steal a game once in a while. The problem is that he can just as easily give a game away with 2 interceptions on crazy pass attempts (triple coverage, across the field while rolling in the other direction... ) he did it last year with the Jets and that's why i would not want him on the team. He used to have a cannon for an arm and be able to do those kind of plays, but now he still does them, and his arm is not what it once was. At the end of the season, i'm not sure he can steal more game than he will give away.

Comment

The Vikings have been in talks with Favre behind the scenes. He'll be a Viking before training camp starts. The biggest hurdle at this point is if Favre's arm is fully healed on it's own or if he will need arthoscopic surgery. Trust me I told you Harvin would be the pick and we ran to the podium. A Favre deal is iminent.

Comment

Sign Favre and Vick and then have them battle it out lol.

Comment

Bring back Brooks Bollinger and give him the job.
                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I could also go on a rant about how Uncle Joe from Willky Wonka is a major dick.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information