2009 Training Camp Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Training Camp Thread

I only make it to Mankato a couple times each year during Camp time, and since this year it is one of the shortest camps, this first day might just be the only day I make it. But here's some of what I observed:

- Sage and Tarvaris split time working with the 1st team offense. Sage showed his veteran status by throwing the ball away when nothing was open and by hitting his hot route. Tarvaris definitely has better physical tools and much more zip on his throws. Both made some good plays today, the competition is underway.

- Loadholt was with the 1st team at RT all day. Apart from a false start penalty, no mistakes were visible. He kept Ray Edwards away from the QB long enough each time, even though he did not play with very good leverage at times, letting Edwards get into a bull rush, but Loadholt was able to hold his ground well enough.

- David Herron was the 2nd team MLB along with Erin Henderson and Heath Farwell as the OLB's. Jasper Brinkley was the 3rd team MLB.

- Jaymar Johnson got the most separation in 1-on-1 drills against the CB's. Allison was able to be covered like a blanket most of the drill, as was the case the further away from the starters the drill went. Berrian and Rice (going against McCaulley and Griffin) split good catches and good coverage. Glen Holt was hot and cold at different times.

- Garrett Mills seemed to be getting good marks from his coaches....Jimmy K made a few nice catches, some one handed.

- Asher Allen looked like a rookie, trying to do too much each snap he got.

Originally posted by B-rand View Post
    Jimmy K made a few nice catches, some one handed.
    Kleinsausage has always had great hands. He is under-used imo.

Comment

Originally posted by B-rand View Post
      - Sage and Tarvaris split time working with the 1st team offense. Sage showed his veteran status by throwing the ball away when nothing was open and by hitting his hot route. Tarvaris definitely has better physical tools and much more zip on his throws. Both made some good plays today, the competition is underway.
      From what I read, Tavaris looked much more comfortable running the offense than Sage did, and just flat out looked better. Also, we need to get Harvin signed and in camp ASAP.

sig by BK and avy by me
      Originally posted by A Perfect Score
      If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Yes, but we heard the same thing about T-Jack in training camp last year. He practices great, but the transition to game-time has not always followed. I guess that i don't really care who the starting QB is.... either one will probably lead us in the direction of a new coach. :D
        Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
        Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Jackson got hurt today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4371142

I imagine later today or tomorrow, they'll go into how bad it is.

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post
            Jackson got hurt today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=4371142

I imagine later today or tomorrow, they'll go into how bad it is.
            according to the Star Tribune it wasn't bad:
            Jackson remained on the field for a few minutes as head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman and others attended to him but the quarterback was able to get up and walk off the field under his own power.

Jackson’s issue appeared to be with his left leg. Sugarman took him into a tent on the practice field to exam him but as Jackson approached the tent he was jumping and appeared to be walking without a noticeable limp.

sig by BK and avy by me
            If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32250474

According to Profootballtalk.com, Tarvaris Jackson underwent an MRI that determined his knee injury to be a sprained MCL.

It's believed to be a Grade 1 sprain, which could leave Jackson as day-to-day. If it turns out to be a more serious sprain, Jackson would miss multiple weeks -- putting Sage Rosenfels at the helm of the offense by default. NFL insider Adam Schefter doesn't expect Michael Vick to be an option regardless. It's too early for Brett Favre's entrance music.

Comment

The golden child has been injured! I am consumed by panic!

Comment

We got Harvin signed up for 5 years, Im anxious to see what he can do at camp.
                  Its reported that he should be able to make practice today.

Comment

This is a pretty decent place to find daily jottings from Vikings Training Camp, also includes some pictures.

http://www.capitaljscorner.com/

Comment

I'm very intrigued by Jaymar Johnson. He has been very impressive so far. He is reportedly as quick as Harvin in some of the drills. I think he will make the team, especially with Allison gone. Thoughts on him???

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

Here are some more notes from Kevin Seifert.

MANKATO, Minn. -- Monday is the last full day I'll be spending here at Minnesota's camp, a development I'm sure will be a relief to some of you who are have been feeling a bit Purple-dosed during this extended weekend. As I've mentioned, I'll be hitting all four NFC North camps and everyone will get their turn.

With that, here are some observations and thoughts about the Vikings after seven practices:

Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson (knee) stepped up his rehabilitation a bit Monday afternoon, throwing and jogging on the field during practice. The next step will be jumping into stretching and individual drills. Coach Brad Childress continues to be vague on the severity of the injury and Jackson's timetable for return. Jackson didn't speak to the media Monday. My suspicion level always rises to the level of secrecy, and confirmed details have been scarce in this case. But if I had to guess, I would say Jackson is several days away from returning at full speed.

In his absence, Sage Rosenfels has improved with every practice. Monday was by far his best day, highlighted by two long completions to Bernard Berrian and Jaymar Johnson. Rosenfels is also looking much more confident and sure of himself as he feels his way through the offense. If nothing else, he has used this opportunity to pull himself dead even with Jackson in their competition. The more time Jackson misses, the better for Rosenfels. And for all of you rooting for John David Booty: I've seen nothing to suggest he is contender for the starting job. He's smoother than last year but still significantly behind Rosenfels in terms of accuracy and knowledge.

Rookie cornerback Asher Allen, a third-round pick from Georgia, has flashed a number of times during practice and drew strong praise Monday from Childress. Allen is aggressive, fluid and not afraid to stick his nose into a pile. At this point, he appears to have a legitimate chance to win the job at nickel back. Even if he doesn't, it looks like he has a future in that role. On the flip side, I've not noticed free agent Karl Paymah once in defensive drills. Paymah ostensibly was signed to play in the nickel defense.

The team appears to have better depth at linebacker after getting Heath Farwell back from a knee injury and adding fifth-round pick Jasper Brinkley. Farwell made an athletic interception Sunday while chasing tight end Visanthe Shiancoe downfield. Brinkley plays with anger and is going to be a good hitter, perhaps right away on special teams. The Vikings had to go out and sign Napoleon Harris last year when E.J. Henderson was injured, but this year they should be able to absorb an injury internally.

First-round pick Percy Harvin doesn't look comfortable as a punt returner but seems relatively natural as a kickoff returner. Special teams coordinator Brian Murphy agreed with that analysis. Harvin also has a habit of catching the ball with his hands over his shoulder or near his face mask. Murphy termed it an "oddity" and said it will have to be adjusted.

The Vikings are throwing a lot at Harvin right away. In addition to kickoff and punt return duties, they're lining him up in the slot, on the outside and in the backfield. He's also involved in plenty of pre-snap motion and was used in Wildcat formations during minicamp. Coaches believe Harvin can handle the big load. "He has good football IQ," Childress said. "He likes football and has done a few different things. A lot of things we aren't doing for the first time with him."

Tailback Adrian Peterson has never been considered a top-flight pass receiver, but I saw him drop more passes over the past four days than in quite some time. Peterson seemed to be looking upfield too early on some of them, but others simply slipped off his hands. I've seen nothing to suggest that Chester Taylor won't be the third-down back this season.

I'll post a more in-depth look Tuesday at new right tackle Phil Loadholt and how his presence will impact the entire offense. For now, I'll just say he is one big dude who has without question upgraded the position. He still has a lot to learn, but his 6-foot-8 frame allows him to cover for some of his inexperience.

Comment

I'm going to training camp for the first time tomorrow, should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
                            I'm going to training camp for the first time tomorrow, should be fun.
                            I'll be going up on Friday for the first time, but just for the morning session. I'll put some of my thoughts up on here in the afternoon when I get back.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
                              I'm very intrigued by Jaymar Johnson. He has been very impressive so far. He is reportedly as quick as Harvin in some of the drills. I think he will make the team, especially with Allison gone. Thoughts on him???
                              Everyone is only saying good things about Jaymar this Camp.....things are looking good for him so far. I also like him to be the 5th or 6th WR this year will Allison out of the way.

When I was at camp, Jaymar got very good separation from the DB's in the drills, he just couldn't be covered. However, it appeared that there were not much for set routes during that drill, and he was able to use multiple moves almost every time, whereas in a game situation, I see him more as a slant and slash type player, a one cut and get open thing. He's not Steve Smith yet....

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information