Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Actually, i wouldn't hate it if we ended up taking Rudolph. A talented pass catching TE is pretty much what every rookie QB would love to have.

    I really want Moffit as well. That guy is a beast who would be an instant upgrade at RG & would replace Hutch a couple of years down the line. Overall, I would be very satisfied with that draft.
    Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
    Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
      Yeah maybe TE in the second is a high now that I think about it. What about grabbing someone like Jordan Cameron in the later rounds? I just realized that we have a bunch of picks on day three: 2 5th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and 2 7th rounders. I know we can't trade the comp picks but it gives us some ammunition to move up a little bit.
      If they don't go with Kyle Rudolph, that would be the ideal situation. Get a late round recieving TE. They talked a bit about TEs on Path to the Draft yesterday. Mike Mayock brought up a couple of former B-ball TEs, they were Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas from Portland St. Normally they would be solid late round guys, but I agree with Mayock that they will go higher than they should. It is overall a pretty mediocre TE class, and everybody wants the next Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez.

      Comment


      • http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Talk_..._Tuesday032811

        If you have time there is some interesting stuff in there. Tom Pelissero is, in my opinion, the best Vikings beat writer and his predictions and assessments are usually spot on. He says the Vikings really like Gabbert and that he doesn't think we would take Locker at 12. He also says numerous times that the Vikings are okay with the talent they have at safety and think corner is a greater need, which seems insane to me but wtf do I know.
        Last edited by FuzzyGopher; 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
          I keep seeing rumors of us being interested in Tyron Smith and it's starting to worry me. Last year we were linked to Cook and we took him and the year before we were linked to Harvin and we took him. Could we benefit from upgrading our tackles? Absolutely, but they are far from a weakness and we have much bigger needs elsewhere. Smith just looks like a guy that is going to bust. Sure he is built like a Greek God and has the athleticism to match, but he played RT at USC and played at under 300 pounds. Will he be able to keep that weight on? Can he play LT or are we going to be spending a high pick on a RT? I just don't trust USC guys for some reason. I'm not impressed by any of the other tackles either, and I certainly don't think they are worthy of being drafted at 12.

          I think we take a QB if the guy they want is there, take an elite defensive lineman that falls or we trade back and try to get a 3rd rounder. Hopefully all this OT talk is just a smokescreen and we grab an elite guy that can contribute from day 1.
          I guess we are looking at him..

          http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ns-others.html

          Comment


          • So it sounds like the Vikings brass really likes Gabbert. What would you guys be willing to give up for him? Would you trade our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks this year? Would that even be enough?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Heisman View Post
              So it sounds like the Vikings brass really likes Gabbert. What would you guys be willing to give up for him? Would you trade our 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks this year? Would that even be enough?
              If I was gonna draft Gabbert, I'd hope that somebody would actually give me picks to take him. I'll take Jake the Snake Locker coming off of his shnazzy pro day in a heartbeat.

              Comment


              • I don't think Newton has a chance of lasting to 12. And I think Locker is a massive reach at 12. I think a more likely option than us taking Locker at 12 is if Newton falls to picks 5-8 and we trade up looking for a QB. Zulgad mentioned on Path to the Draft that Frazier has twice said he has no problem moving up for his guy if that's what it takes and that quarterback is by far the most important position on the roster.

                Now, I don't like Gabbert that much, especially in the top 10. I don't think Locker deserves a top 12 selection, so I think we'd be wise to pass. Newton's ceiling is just ridiculously high and he clearly can handle the spotlight and battle through adversity. There's obviously some character issues, but the guy is an absolute tank with a great arm and great wheels. The game just seems to come so naturally to him. He didn't score 50 touchdowns by accident.

                He reminds me a lot of Daunte Culpepper, whether he becomes the good version or the bad version of Pep remains to be seen. I would take the chance. If Newton pans, you're looking at an offensive core of Newton/Peterson/Harvin/Rice(hopefully).. that is a damn good start to an NFL offense in my opinion.

                As far as taking a DE goes, there's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't matter how good your defense is if you can't put up 20 points a game consistently in today's NFL. The quarterback needs to be addressed, and it needs to be addressed correctly.

                /Adderall induced jumbled thoughts
                Last edited by djp; 03-30-2011, 06:48 PM.
                "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

                Comment


                • There is some feeling that if the Cowboys want Tyron Smith and trade down from #9, that they can't go lower than #12 because the Vikings would scoop him up. How much stock would you invest in that thought?

                  Comment


                  • I really don't know. Frazier hasn't really given any indications on how he feels about McKinnie, but the truth is that McKinnie was terrible last year. If they feel like Smith can add weight to his frame and become at least an average run blocker, I think they could very well go in that direction. I really think Frazier's first priority is QB though. We tend to like the bigger lineman though. Perhaps last season's weekly blitzkreig on Favre would change that train of thought though.

                    I definitely think that if they stay at 12, they look at one of the DE's or Smith though.
                    "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by djp View Post
                      I really don't know. Frazier hasn't really given any indications on how he feels about McKinnie, but the truth is that McKinnie was terrible last year. If they feel like Smith can add weight to his frame and become at least an average run blocker, I think they could very well go in that direction. I really think Frazier's first priority is QB though. We tend to like the bigger lineman though. Perhaps last season's weekly blitzkreig on Favre would change that train of thought though.

                      I definitely think that if they stay at 12, they look at one of the DE's or Smith though.
                      Yeah, traditionally the Cowboys have shared the same philosolphy as the Vikings as far as OL types that they like. Big boys. But I think the modern trend is really starting to show that you need "athletes" at the position in order to keep up with today's NFL. Agree or disagree?

                      I hope the Cowboys have learned something and are looking to evolve. The success of Doug Free (a converted TE) might've finally convinced them to go in this new direction. Not sure though. If we take Marcus Cannon, then I'll know it's the same ole, same ole for the Boys.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        Yeah, traditionally the Cowboys have shared the same philosolphy as the Vikings as far as OL types that they like. Big boys. But I think the modern trend is really starting to show that you need "athletes" at the position in order to keep up with today's NFL. Agree or disagree?

                        I hope the Cowboys have learned something and are looking to evolve. The success of Doug Free (a converted TE) might've finally convinced them to go in this new direction. Not sure though. If we take Marcus Cannon, then I'll know it's the same ole, same ole for the Boys.
                        It's no secret the league has shifted towards rushing and protecting the passer as much as possible. Wouldn't shock me at all to see both teams move away from their traditional big eaters on the line and move towards the leaner, quicker, more mobile linemen. The Vikings have an elite back, so they are probably less inclined to do so than the Cowboys who rely more on the short passing game than anything.
                        "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

                        Comment


                        • http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelis...terested032311

                          ^^Another piece of evidence that connects the Vikings with Gabbert pretty strongly.

                          Anybody watched "Game Changers" on NFLN or nfl.com? I know there was a thread about it, but I think its pretty cool. And when I watch it, I can't help but think one of those two guys is gonna be our QB next year

                          Comment


                          • Game Changers was pretty cool and I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. Gabbert looks amazing on paper but he is pretty underwhelming when he steps into action. If he can break some of his bad habits and become more comfortable in the pocket I think he will be pretty good. I think the only way we trade up for him is if he starts to slip a little bit and I think we would have to trade with Cleveland to grab him as I can see San Fran, Tennessee and Washington all being interested in him.

                            Locker at 12 seems like a reach to me but how far could we trade back and still ensure that he will still be there? Jacksonville and Miami seem like possible landing spots for him.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                              Game Changers was pretty cool and I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. Gabbert looks amazing on paper but he is pretty underwhelming when he steps into action. If he can break some of his bad habits and become more comfortable in the pocket I think he will be pretty good. I think the only way we trade up for him is if he starts to slip a little bit and I think we would have to trade with Cleveland to grab him as I can see San Fran, Tennessee and Washington all being interested in him.

                              Locker at 12 seems like a reach to me but how far could we trade back and still ensure that he will still be there? Jacksonville and Miami seem like possible landing spots for him.
                              Locker got huge interest this week from the Titans, they sent a large contingent to Seattle for the UW pro day (and had a private showing) when a lot of other teams were going club med by showing up for the USC event on the same day. As you mention and one of the guys on the Redskins board too, if you want a QB you have to take him and not #### around. Too risky.

                              Thing with Locker is you might be getting the best QB in the draft.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                                Game Changers was pretty cool and I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. Gabbert looks amazing on paper but he is pretty underwhelming when he steps into action. If he can break some of his bad habits and become more comfortable in the pocket I think he will be pretty good. I think the only way we trade up for him is if he starts to slip a little bit and I think we would have to trade with Cleveland to grab him as I can see San Fran, Tennessee and Washington all being interested in him.

                                Locker at 12 seems like a reach to me but how far could we trade back and still ensure that he will still be there? Jacksonville and Miami seem like possible landing spots for him.
                                If by some chance he makes it to #6(Don't think he gets by #4) than that Scenario makes complete sense. However I can also see a scenario in which the Vikings move up to #1 and grab Gabbert. The Panthers seem to be very interested in a QB, but say they don't particulary want Gabbert. Lets say the Panthers decide Ryan Mallet(They gave him a workout) is their guy. They don't have a second round pick to manuever up inot the late 1st for him. That would make them primed to move down to pick Mallet.

                                I don't think that scenario is likely to happen either, but it's possible. I really like Gabbert, but I would rather target someone at 12(or via trade down) like Jake Locker/Ryan Mallet/ or Christian Ponder.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information