2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vikes_28 View Post
    They must have some faith in them. Because if they didn't they would have taken Clausen in the first round. If they think that TJack or Rosenfels can fill in for Favre if he gets injured then they must have faith in them.

Don't overlook the fact that Chilly can't evaluate QB talent worth a damn...there's a high probability he passed on Clausen just because he didn't like him.

Meanwhile he happily brings in guys like Bollinger, Holcombe, JDB, Gus, etc etc

Comment

Todd McShay's 1st 2011 mock has the team taking Allen Bailey.

I wouldn't mind, especially considering all three quarterbacks were gone. I think we would also give Christian Ponder a though as well.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by JFLO View Post
        Todd McShay's 1st 2011 mock has the team taking Allen Bailey.

I wouldn't mind, especially considering all three quarterbacks were gone. I think we would also give Christian Ponder a though as well.
        Would Bailey be the best fit as a Phat replacement? I would prefer Ponder. I am really thinking LT might end up being a first round need too.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
        Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
          Would Bailey be the best fit as a Phat replacement? I would prefer Ponder. I am really thinking LT might end up being a first round need too.
          I agree with you partially, Bailey isn't a great fit, but he is such a physical freak and stud that I would be more than willing to take him. I would take Ponder as well. I don't think we'll look at LT next year, I think that will be 2 years, QB, S, NT, and OLB all appear to be big needs next year, and imo bigger than LT, especially given the value likely to be there in the late 1st where we will likely be picking.

sig by BK and avy by me
          Originally posted by A Perfect Score
          If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

I think the play and maturity of Bryant McKinnie is the x-factor though in determining the need for a left tackle. If he is as inconsistent as he was during the latter part of last season, then I wouldn't mind going after a guy like Castonzo, Carimi or Barksdale.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

I can't see LT being a first round need next year...

McKinnie has a bad rep because he is a dumb *** d-bag that no one likes. But he really did have a good year last year aside from that stretch at the end of the season in which he supposedly dealing with plantar fasciitis.

Aswell Bryant is under contract through 2013, at less than 5 mil a year which is very resonable. I don't see them looking for a replacement for probably another 2 years. That is unless, a quality LT some how makes it to F/A such as a Jared Gaither(rarely if ever happens) or someone falls to them in the draft that is too good to pass on.

Comment

As far as first round picks go, here is a list that I've compiled of potential Vikings picks

QB Jake Locker Washington
                QB Ryan Mallett Arkansas
                QB Blaine Gabbert Mizzou (very unlikely he declares)
                OT Anthony Costanzo Boston College
                OL Rodney Hudson Florida State
                NT Jerrell Powe Ole Miss
                DL Allen Bailey Miami
                DE Robert Quinn North Carolina
                DE Adrian Clayborn Iowa
                DE Cameron Heyward Ohio State
                DE DaQuan Bowers Clemson
                LB Donta Hightower Alabama
                LB Akeem Ayers UCLA
                LB Travis Lewis Oklahoma
                CB Aaron Williams Texas
                S Rahim Moore UCLA

Obviously a lot of that list depends on where we're picking in the first round, we have a pretty wide disparity of potential finishes in terms of our record. Bolded is most likely
                Last edited by djp; 10-16-2010, 06:07 PM.
                "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

I'm to the point where I kind of want us to suck so we can nab one of the top 3 QB's.

sig by fenikz
                  Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                  You are just a terrible person.
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  I have an iPhone.

Comment

I saw us have Jake Locker in a mock the other day and I kind of creamed myself. I hope we lose out.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Well, Scott has us taking Daquan Bowers in his latest mock. And while I so far really like Bowers as a prospect, I think DE really isnt our highest priority even if Ray Edwards leaves. I understand that Luck, Mallet(*Cringe*) and Locker will probably be gone. And Im just not sure about Cam Newton as a pro. Its kind of tough spot really, if we fall in that area. I really love Derek Sherrod as a procept, but he might be a reach there.

What do you all think of the Daquan Bower pick?

Comment

Not really a fan of that pick, but if the draft played out that way I guess I wouldn't have a problem with Bowers. Ideally I would like Locker in the 1st, and a safety like Deunta Williams or Rahim Moore in the second. If we could tag Edwards and trade him for a 3rd I would be really happy, then we could use that pick and draft a center, DT or LB.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                          Not really a fan of that pick, but if the draft played out that way I guess I wouldn't have a problem with Bowers. Ideally I would like Locker in the 1st, and a safety like Deunta Williams or Rahim Moore in the second. If we could tag Edwards and trade him for a 3rd I would be really happy, then we could use that pick and draft a center, DT or LB.
                          I agree with you quite a bit, but would like to add LT project there in the third, my hate for McKinnie has grown infinitely over these past two years, and I now can't stand him and to be putting a franchise QBs blindside in his hands makes me cringe. I know this isn't a good OT and especially LT as most of the college OTs project to either RT or OG, but if we are able to acquire a third round pick and it is only a mild reach, I would like to see us take a project LT who can hopefully take over for McKinnie after a year once he loses even more of the little agility he has.

I'd be ok with Bowers in that situation and if that were to happen, I'd really like to see us take Ponder in the 2nd. I was a big fan of his coming into the year and am still quite a bit higher on him than most. If we stick with a WCO with a heavy running game with Peterson, I think he would fit perfectly and he may even be able to step in and play from day one as he's pretty advanced in a pro style offense and isn't a raw prospect. It'd be nice to be able to trade up into the 3rd round and get a solid S prospect like McDaniel, who has all the tools and parlayed them into a great Junior season but is struggling mightily this season which will hurt his draft grade quite a bit.

sig by BK and avy by me
                          If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Hey everyone! New to the forum and posted in the introduction thread as well. Nice to be chatting with some other Vikings fans.

Personally, I don't like Scott's projected pick at all. I have been a follower of this site for years, so I know he is good at what he does, but I just don't see DE as that large of a need for the Vikings. We have some players who are capable of stepping up if Edwards leaves in FA. Also, if Jared Allen gets back to playing the way he normally does the left DE will be freed up more often than not. I don't know what you all think, but I personally wouldn't mind a rotation of Brian Robison and Everson Griffen at that spot next year. Griffen (when he has been active) has shown pass-rushing ability and Robison always seems to be able to get pressure on the QB when he is in the line-up.

I know our first rounder will ultimately depend on who the HC ends up being. If Frazier is retained he may want to lean towards a defensive player. Although, it seems every HC usually wants to have "their guy" at the QB position. Favre won't be back and T-Jack (who is a FA anyway) was Childress' guy/mistake, so Frazier could take a QB if he is the coach.

I really hope the Vikings take a QB if available, which will be the problem. There are going to be some QB needy teams ahead of us, so Luck (if he comes out), Mallett, and Locker will probably all be gone. Not sure if I am sold on Newton as a solid pro QB. Memories of Daunte Culpepper keep popping up in my head, and they are not the good ones. Not sure if that is even a good comparison, but when I see Newton (big QB, big arm, and running ability) I can't help but see Culpepper.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
                              It'd be nice to be able to trade up into the 3rd round and get a solid S prospect like McDaniel, who has all the tools and parlayed them into a great Junior season but is struggling mightily this season which will hurt his draft grade quite a bit.
                              I haven't really seen Moore, Deunta Williams or McDaniels too much, but they both have a ton of career interceptions. That is exactly what our secondary needs, a ball hawk who can force turnovers and get our defense off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                                I haven't really seen Moore, Deunta Williams or McDaniels too much, but they both have a ton of career interceptions. That is exactly what our secondary needs, a ball hawk who can force turnovers and get our defense off the field.
                                I haven't been able to watch as much college football this year, and I've only been able to watch these guys a small amount, but from what I've read all three of them have had disappointing seasons and none of them have really separated themselves. We definitely need a playmaker at S, which we haven't had since the year before Sharper left, and I stress the year before because Sharper was horrid his last year here and looked like he was done.

MNtoWA. I agree with you, LE is not that big of a need for us, but with that situation there really isn't much else there. Our biggest needs IMO (and I'm pretty sure most of the rest of us) are QB, S, and LT, but Scott has the top 3 QBs back and while I like Newton as a college player, he has plenty of question marks as a passer. No S is worth a top 20 pick in this draft at this point, and we very likely may not see any S in the first round. On top of that, this is probably the worst OT class in a quite a while and no one is much of a sure thing and would be a big reach there. One OT who I'm starting to like quite a bit for us is Lee Ziemba for Auburn. He's a big guy who has started at LT all 4 years in the SEC. He's a great run blocker and his biggest flaw is supposed to be that he has short arms. He's almost guaranteedly not going to be a first rounder and likely won't be a second rounder even, but if we can get back into the 3rd, I'd be very happy with him.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information