No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marshallb. Yeah, I am not sold on Cam Newton no matter where the Vikings may be drafting. If the top 3 QBs are gone and the Vikings are picking within the first 15 I wouldn't mind seeing us drop back in the first. Then we could pick up some additional draft choices (maybe even a 3rd to replace the one we lost on Moss) then take a S in the later part of the first.

Honestly, our safeties are so atrocious. Madieu can't tackle and when he attempts to hit somebody he never wraps-up, so they bounce right off him and keep on gaining yards. The other spot has been a carousel with Tyrell, Abdullah, and Jamarca all playing. Although, Abdullah has shown some promise at times. We desperately need some help at this position and unless we bring in a FA (which could end up becoming Madieu Williams v2.0) it will remain a glaring hole defensively and teams will continue to torch the Vikings. I think it is funny when everybody points out how much Cook and Asher Allen have struggled in coverage, when it is just as much the safeties' faults for not providing any over the top assistance when it is needed.

Comment

A lot of its going to have to do with who is coaching us next season too. When Ray Edwards does leave, I think im ok with Robinson and Griffen at DE. Griffen looks like he can get pressure on the QB at times this season.

Jeron Johnson is another guy besides D. Williams I like at safety. As for Cam Newton, while I wont deny his ability. He just looks slow to me when he drops back. He's got a great O-line at Auburn. And any game where the other teams defenses can get pressure on him, are those games where he is less then super(by his standards anyways).

Comment

The Vikings are going to have so many needs going into this offseason (QB, DE, OT, S and arguably CB and DT) that I think the best plan would be for us to trade down in the first to gather more draft choices. Unless one of the top 3 QBs is there we need to strongly consider this option. This next year is basically going to be a rebuilding year, especially if we have a new HC, so why not take a page out of Green Bay's and New England's books and gather up a ton of draft picks to get younger. The Vikings have some young talent, but we are an aging team.

Comment

So it's now official? #10 overall pick?

It may be possible to get one of the top-3 QB's yet at that spot.

No matter what happens, I do not want to go into next season with Joe Webb as our starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see what kind of progress the kid can make, but handing him the keys to the car this early is just stupid.

#1 QB: ???
          #2 QB: Joe Webb
          #3 QB: Jake Locker?

Also, with the LT position, I would give Loadholt a chance to earn that position in Training Camp. Guy has not been stellar, but has shown a good work-ethic

Comment

Originally posted by B-rand View Post
            So it's now official? #10 overall pick?

It may be possible to get one of the top-3 QB's yet at that spot.

No matter what happens, I do not want to go into next season with Joe Webb as our starting QB. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see what kind of progress the kid can make, but handing him the keys to the car this early is just stupid.
            They ended up with #12 rather than #10. Agree about Joe Webb would rather not just hand him the keys. Hopefully they can Aquire a half way decent Veteran QB.

I am a bit worried about being able to draft a Franchise QB this year. There are a good amount of teams ahead of us that have QB needs. Aswell with a rookie wage scale very likely being implemented we could see teams reaching more for needs rather than just going BPA.

Carolina
            Buffalo
            Cincinnati
            Arizona
            Cleveland
            San Francisco
            Tennessee
            Washington

*Most likely to draft a QB IMO

All of those teams could very well be in the market to draft a franchise QB. Then you have to watch out for teams like Jacksonville, Oakland, or Miami trading up for one. I don't believe Luck is going to declare so that Leaves 3 guys for all these needy teams. Looks like the Vikes may have to move up to make sure they get their guy.
            Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM. Reason: Forgot about the Browns & Raiders

Comment

Harbaugh is rumored to almost certainly leave Stanford, which would mean Luck comes out. Also Blaine Gabbert declared today so the chances of a quarterback falling in our laps just increased greatly.

Comment

We got some good news in the way of hoping to get a franchise QB this year with Blaine Gabbert declaring. Link

As of right now, I'd rank him as my #4 QB behind Luck, Mallett, and Locker and ahead of Newton. There's also a good chance that I move him ahead of Locker too as I look back on more of their games this past season. He's got prototypical size at 6'5" 240, has a strong arm and can make any throw with good accuracy, and has underrated mobility. I'm really surprised that he came out, or at least that he didn't wait until after Luck announced his decision and then do the opposite. If he stayed another year and Luck comes out, he'd be the favorite for the #1 QB spot next year; even if he'd announce that he was gonna come out after Luck were to announce that he'd stay, he could challenge for the #1 QB spot.

Needless to say, I'd love it if we took Gabbert.

EDIT: I should post some of his negatives too. His biggest negatives are his pocket presence, he can struggle with touch on some of the deeper throws, and with that offense he doesn't have to make much for reads or a whole lot of dropbacks, so he has to work on his footwork.
                Last edited by marshallb; 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM.

sig by BK and avy by me
                Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                  Harbaugh is rumored to almost certainly leave Stanford, which would mean Luck comes out. Also Blaine Gabbert declared today so the chances of a quarterback falling in our laps just increased greatly.
                  damn. You beat me to it, I shouldn't have spent so much time writing up my thoughts haha.

sig by BK and avy by me
                  If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
                    damn. You beat me to it, I shouldn't have spent so much time writing up my thoughts haha.
                    Lol, no worries. You provided more analysis than I did. I don't know much about him other then he is a probable first rounder with a strong arm and great size. I think I only saw him play once and I came away impressed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                      Lol, no worries. You provided more analysis than I did. I don't know much about him other then he is a probable first rounder with a strong arm and great size. I think I only saw him play once and I came away impressed with him.
                      Yea, I have to look at him some more. I didn't bother watching him a whole lot this year because I didn't think that he'd come out.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

Ok.....Hypothetical situation:

All of the top-3 guys who declare for the draft are off the board by the time we select #12.....at this moment in time, is it feasible the Vikings drop back in the 1st round, add another 2nd or 3rd round pick, and still be able to get a guy like Gabbert?

Also, if we did get him, would Blaine live in Blaine?

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb
                          We got some good news in the way of hoping to get a franchise QB this year with Blaine Gabbert declaring. Link

As of right now, I'd rank him as my #4 QB behind Luck, Mallett, and Locker and ahead of Newton.
                          Blaine Gabbert Declaring definatly makes it much more likely a QB falls to us. But there are still enough teams ahead of us with QB needs that it's worrisome.

It's still extremely early but this is how I would rank them as of right now(as in relation to fit with the vikes)

1. Luck(obvisouly, if he declares)
                          2. Jake Locker
                          3. Cam Newton
                          4. Blaine Gabbert
                          5. Ryan Mallet

How I could see the draft playing out.

3. Buffalo - Cam Newton
                          7. San Francisco - Ryan Mallet(depends on the new coach could be one of the other 2)
                          10. Washington - Jake Locker
                          12. Minnesota - Blaine Gabbert

It looks good for the Vikings if Cleveland thinks they have the answer in Colt McCoy, Cincinnati sticks with Palmer, and Tennessee lets Fisher leave and sticks with Vince.

Originally posted by B-rand View Post
                          Ok.....Hypothetical situation:

All of the top-3 guys who declare for the draft are off the board by the time we select #12.....at this moment in time, is it feasible the Vikings drop back in the 1st round, add another 2nd or 3rd round pick, and still be able to get a guy like Gabbert?

Also, if we did get him, would Blaine live in Blaine?
                          It's a possbility but I am not sure it would be worth the risk. Not far below the Vikings is a group of 3 teams(Jacksonville, Oakland, and Miami) that all could want a QB.

It would be nice to move down and aquire some more picks but if by Chance a QB makes it to #12 I think they gotta take him.
                          Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I've never watched Gabbert until tonight. I like what i see.

sig by fenikz
                            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                            You are just a terrible person.
                            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                            I have an iPhone.

Comment

I think it would be worth us doing what needs to be done to move up to take Luck if he declares. Think of it as the franchise "maker" move. Absolutely sell out for him. Outside of OL we have the pieces to give him a good rookie season but more importantly we have a young offense that he could grow with.

I guess the question is what would it take? Would something like Ray Edwards and our first 2 picks be worth it for the Panthers? They move down, save money, don't create a QB conflict, can get a stud DE regardless and get a decent DE in Edwards and pick up a decent 2nd rounder.

I would be seriously open to the idea of giving up next years first also for Luck, just love him as a prospect.

I guess the alternative is to take any of the other QBs, all of whom as major projects, imo, and perhaps getting a McNabb type for a year or two, I think he could actually be a fairly good fit for us, dependent on the system we choose to run obviously. Get Locker or Gabbert as a developmental 2 year project type and over the next two years get the line and secondary sorted out. We have the RB and WR core sorted for the near future.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                                I think it would be worth us doing what needs to be done to move up to take Luck if he declares. Think of it as the franchise "maker" move. Absolutely sell out for him. Outside of OL we have the pieces to give him a good rookie season but more importantly we have a young offense that he could grow with.

I guess the question is what would it take? Would something like Ray Edwards and our first 2 picks be worth it for the Panthers? They move down, save money, don't create a QB conflict, can get a stud DE regardless and get a decent DE in Edwards and pick up a decent 2nd rounder.

I would be seriously open to the idea of giving up next years first also for Luck, just love him as a prospect.

I guess the alternative is to take any of the other QBs, all of whom as major projects, imo, and perhaps getting a McNabb type for a year or two, I think he could actually be a fairly good fit for us, dependent on the system we choose to run obviously. Get Locker or Gabbert as a developmental 2 year project type and over the next two years get the line and secondary sorted out. We have the RB and WR core sorted for the near future.
                                I think no matter what, Locker is going to need the "aaron rodgers" treatment. It would be awesome if McNabb signed with the vikes.

sig by fenikz
                                Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
                                You are just a terrible person.
                                Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                                I have an iPhone.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information