No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want Newton at all for a multitude of reasons. One, we already have an athletic quarterback that needs development. Two, I am sick of always being in the center of the media attention.

My order of preference in round 1 would be this:
    1. Gabbert
    2. Locker
    3. Amukamara
    4. Quinn
    5. Bowers
    6. Jones

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

• I keep seeing rumors of us being interested in Tyron Smith and it's starting to worry me. Last year we were linked to Cook and we took him and the year before we were linked to Harvin and we took him. Could we benefit from upgrading our tackles? Absolutely, but they are far from a weakness and we have much bigger needs elsewhere. Smith just looks like a guy that is going to bust. Sure he is built like a Greek God and has the athleticism to match, but he played RT at USC and played at under 300 pounds. Will he be able to keep that weight on? Can he play LT or are we going to be spending a high pick on a RT? I just don't trust USC guys for some reason. I'm not impressed by any of the other tackles either, and I certainly don't think they are worthy of being drafted at 12.

I think we take a QB if the guy they want is there, take an elite defensive lineman that falls or we trade back and try to get a 3rd rounder. Hopefully all this OT talk is just a smokescreen and we grab an elite guy that can contribute from day 1.
      Last edited by FuzzyGopher; 03-19-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• I would not take a QB in the 1ST. If you could get Locker in the 2ND Go for it, I would take Prince,Quinn,JJ Watt in the 1ST.

Comment

• Locker will not be there in the 2nd round. He wont make it out of the top 15. I bet my house on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
            I keep seeing rumors of us being interested in Tyron Smith and it's starting to worry me. Last year we were linked to Cook and we took him and the year before we were linked to Harvin and we took him. Could we benefit from upgrading our tackles? Absolutely, but they are far from a weakness and we have much bigger needs elsewhere. Smith just looks like a guy that is going to bust. Sure he is built like a Greek God and has the athleticism to match, but he played RT at USC and played at under 300 pounds. Will he be able to keep that weight on? Can he play LT or are we going to be spending a high pick on a RT? I just don't trust USC guys for some reason. I'm not impressed by any of the other tackles either, and I certainly don't think they are worthy of being drafted at 12.

I think we take a QB if the guy they want is there, take an elite defensive lineman that falls or we trade back and try to get a 3rd rounder. Hopefully all this OT talk is just a smokescreen and we grab an elite guy that can contribute from day 1.

I'm also in the camp who wouldn't love an OT in the 1st, but think about it. if we are deciding we dont have the ammo to trade up, and either:

A. The top 3 QB's are gone (Locker goes to WASH)
            OR
            B. The QB we really want can be had later (Ponder, Mallett, Dalton, Stanzi?)

Drafting an LT with Tyron Smith's potential and our QBoTF in the same draft sounds pretty sick. Maybe we would just decide to trade down and grab our QB Later but going into a draft with a huge need of a LT tends do lead to huge, huge reaches

Comment

• So far, out of all the rumor and press clippings from Frazier and people we've been looking at so far, I really think we are either going to take Gabbert/Locker/Newton at 12 or the best defensive line man left at that spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Zod View Post
                Locker will not be there in the 2nd round. He wont make it out of the top 15. I bet my house on it.
                I agree, in fact the closer we get to the draft the more likely it seems that the only 2 QBs may be available to the Vikes in the 2nd. Those 2 would be Kaepernick or Dalton neither of which would I want to draft.

Comment

• Mallett also giving us a visit.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...9cP3DieyckcUsI

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
                    I agree, in fact the closer we get to the draft the more likely it seems that the only 2 QBs may be available to the Vikes in the 2nd. Those 2 would be Kaepernick or Dalton neither of which would I want to draft.
                    I dont like Kaepernick, but I do like Dalton, but I dont like Dalton for us. lol

If you can follow that.

Comment

• Leslie Frazie talked QBs and looking at trading for Kolb...

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier is not trying to be cagey about his team’s desperate need for help at quarterback.

“I can’t imagine a scenario where we wouldn’t add a quarterback [in the draft] at some point,” Frazier said Tuesday, adding that it would “ideally” come in the first two rounds. “[The idea] would be to get a young guy that could say, ‘OK, we’re going to ride with this guy. He’s our [Joe] Flacco, he’s our [Mark] Sanchez, he’s our Matt Ryan.”

But will a Flacco/Sanchez/Ryan be available? It may not matter.

After listening to Frazier speak twice in New Orleans, Tom Pelissero of espn1500.com is convinced Frazier wants a quarterback in round one of the draft.

“He raised the possibility of moving up from No. 12,” Pelissero writes.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune notes that Frazier would ideally like to draft a quarterback and have him step right in as a starter. Then again, he could also make a trade.

“You’d have to consider a guy like Kevin [Kolb] if he becomes available,” Frazier said.

Well, he’s very available. And it may not even cost the Vikings a 2011 draft pick to get him.
                      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...consider-kolb/

Wouldn't mind trading for Kolb as long as they don't trade #12 for him straigh up.
                      Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 03-22-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Made a mock for the Vikings, one note this mock was done under the assumption they will still have Sidney Rice.

1. Jake Locker QB Washington

Vikes trade down and pick up a 3rd from the Rams who will want to move up to secure Julio Jones.

2. Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

Ideally we would get Stephen Paea, Aaron Williams or Rahim moore, but all are likely to be gone. I Wasn't sure about going here TE at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Rudolph is pretty likely to be available and would easily be the BPA. Stefen Wisnewski would fill a bigger need but you can find quality centers late on.

3. John Moffit G/C Wisconsin

Versatille Mauler who can play either guard or center. Would be a upgrade over John Sullivan at Center.

4. Jalil Brown CB Colorado

5. Lee Ziemba OT Auburn

5. Shiloh Keo S Idaho

6. Greg Salas WR Hawaii

7. Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma St.

Last edited by Crazy_Chris; 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• I would

if we got all of those guys.

Comment

• Honestly, I'd be pretty pissed if we spent a 2nd rounder on a TE with all the needs we have. I would definitely take Wisniewski there, and I don't think that Moffit can play C, I think he's a G only, but he'd be a pretty beast LG once Hutch retires. The rest of that would be very solid, definitely not spectacular, but solid, should give us some rotational/special teams guys.

sig by BK and avy by me
                            Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                            If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by marshallb View Post
                              Honestly, I'd be pretty pissed if we spent a 2nd rounder on a TE with all the needs we have. I would definitely take Wisniewski there, and I don't think that Moffit can play C, I think he's a G only, but he'd be a pretty beast LG once Hutch retires. The rest of that would be very solid, definitely not spectacular, but solid, should give us some rotational/special teams guys.
                              Not gonna be able to fill every need in this years draft, gotta find the best balance between need and value.TE isn't a glaring need this year, it is still a need as Jim Kleinsasser is gone next year and they may not re-sign Shiancoe(will be turning 32 next offseason) either. While Kyle Rudolph isn't the ideal pick, he is probably going to be the best mix of need and value at our 2nd round pick.

As for Moffitt he definatly can play C, granted that most likely won't be his position in the longterm. But he has the versatility and thats the spot where the Vikes need him the most right now.

Comment

• Yeah maybe TE in the second is a high now that I think about it. What about grabbing someone like Jordan Cameron in the later rounds? I just realized that we have a bunch of picks on day three: 2 5th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and 2 7th rounders. I know we can't trade the comp picks but it gives us some ammunition to move up a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information