Preseason discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason discussion thread

figured I'd start one. Just so we could have all the discussion for preseason here rather than in the other thread. :)

Joe Webb and Garrett Mills really impressed me last night. As well as Sage.

sig by fenikz
    Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
    You are just a terrible person.
    Originally posted by bigbluedefense
    I have an iPhone.

Tarvaris playing one series was ridiculous. They're treating him like he's freakin Peyton Manning. He needs the reps. Even Aaron Rodgers played pretty much the whole first quarter last night.

The entire defensive line was incredible. Jimmy Kennedy was a monster, he was getting some great penetration. Jayme Mitchell made Jason Smith his *****. Damn he looked awful, he's looking like a huge bust so far.

I thought Gerhart looked decent, moved a few piles and kept his legs moving through contact. Did all he could with some below average run blocking.

Comment

Also I'm hoping both of Jaymar Johnson/Logan Payne make the team. Not a huge deal who your 4th and 5th receivers are but they both showed some good things last night. Jaymar probably has a better shot because he was on the team last year and can return punts if needed. Although Reynaud is pretty damn good at that.

Comment

I really hope Favre stays in Mississippi. I love the look of our roster, Webb is a stud potentially down the road, Sage looked great and our running back situation is outstanding. Gerhart is a beast and should be a fine addition to our team, and Reynaud is a special pass catching running back, wonderful position move for them having him move over from receiver.

The defense looked deep, great to see Erin Henderson improved, and nice to see that yes it was a flat out steal getting him as an undrafted free agent. Out D-Line looked great, Guion is so much improved and so is Mitchell on the edge. Go figure as well, Cook looked decent and Asher is much improved over last season as well, and not to even mention Mills, wonderful new weapon to have on offense.

The roster looks solid, players competed and they looked like an actual football team, not just a one man band.

Favre will never be able to play up to the level he did last year, so stay home and let the Vikings move forward with this very impressive roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
          I really hope Favre stays in Mississippi.
          If you honestly believe what you just wrote I don't know what to say.

Comment

He has an Avril Lavine sig. What else do you expect.

sig by fenikz
            Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
            You are just a terrible person.
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            I have an iPhone.

Comment

Sorry Ozzy, but you sound high when you say that. There is no way T-Var will make our team better than Favre can.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
              Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                I really hope Favre stays in Mississippi.
                My friend, surely your not serious right?

Comment

Gentlemen...

I am a football purist.

If I do not like a player, I do not like a player, and I do not change sides just because. Long before last season I hated Brett Favre, hated him as a quarterback and thought he was extremely overrated. Then he comes on the Vikings and has a season of his life, impressive, yes, unbelievable at his age, yes, do I respect him, yes but I still do not care for the man.

Ultimately like I said last year in the long run he set the team back. The defense plays worse with Favre there, the line does not play as well either running the ball and generally there is just a sense that oh Favre is here so we all can not improve and we will still win because of him.

I like improvement, I like the future and I like having something to look forward too in let us say a guy like Joe Webb.

If Favre comes back, there is only one way the season will end, and that is not good for Favre at least, that is my bet. How in the world would he ever play half as good as he did last year? That was his best season of his career and some think he will be like that again? No try the injury interception prone Favre instead of the mistake free accurate Favre.

Either way, I would love to move forward with our roster and see what the real Vikings can do this season. What is there not to like, a more run oriented team, improved and better defense and more ball control. That is the kind of football I like.

I follow not so much teams but systems and how a team plays. That is why currently last season I fell in love with Alabama and Nebraska, and no not after there success, actually quite before their success after the second or third game of the year. I liked those teams the most because they were defense first, run the football and play the game with a old school toughness.

I would love for the Vikings to become that, and with Favre, they are not that because it then becomes all about him.

He has nothing more to prove, so why would I want him back?

Just my opinion, but again I am a purist, I do not change because something is popular, I hated Favre before, respect him but still disliked him and I will not enjoy the Vikings until he is off the roster. Not because of wins or losses, just because I want the future of the team to be solid and not dependent on that old man to make plays for us.

As for Jackson, yeah who knows, but Sage sure looked pretty damn good. But yes short term Favre would be fine for the average fair weather fan, but in the long term Favre is an awful option because once he leaves he leaves the team in quite a poor situation when he leaves.

Just what I think, I hated the idea last year, and laughed when he threw that interception against the Saints. But who knows, maybe the football Gods are against myself and will bring him back again, but then I can see the guy crash and burn which would be very interesting to say the least.

Peterson would be far better off without him, and so would our defense mentally. But yes sure Sidney, Harvin and Berrian want him back, same with the big tight end as well, because they greatly improved because Favre was around. I do not deny that at all, Favre made Sidney into a Pro Bowl caliber receiver finally, but now it is up to Sidney to do it on his own without Favre's help, he gave those guys the confidence last year and they should be able to take the next step without him.

Sure it was only a preseason game, but it sure was fun watching the Vikings without you know who in there.

Comment

tl;dr

But Tarvaris Jackson isn't leading anyone to a Super Bowl. How quickly people forget. Absence makes the heart grow fonder I guess. With the talent on this team getting a little older we need someone who can step in RIGHT NOW. Joe Webb will never amount to anything as a quarterback, we need to stop that talk right now.

Comment

I don't see how anyone can think that we're a better team with T-Jack at QB instead of Favre. I don't understand how having Favre at QB would make the defense play worse, sure they may give up more yards and maybe even more points because we'd throw the ball more, leaving more time on the clock, but play worse??? As far as Webb goes, I don't think he has much of a chance as a QB, and I definitely wouldn't bet on him, but crazier things have happened.

sig by BK and avy by me
                      Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                      If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

You guys can have your opinions, but mark my words, we will not win a Super Bowl with Brett Favre as our quarterback.

Come back on me later if we do, but I seriously doubt this is "our year" and he will play as good as he did last year and we will just walk into and win the Super Bowl.

That is clearly just a dream, and in reality it is very unlikely to happen. Thus I would much rather see the Vikings move forward and use the talent they have young and old.

As for the defense, do not tell me last year they played up to their potential. They flat out tanked it at times because they were up so much they just stopped trying. And the importance of the defense decreases when Favre is in the game and I seriously do not believe they give that great of effort because no worries, Favre will lead us back on a come back right? Much less without Favre they will run the ball more, control the clock more and the defense stays off the field.

Play a little better with their backs against the wall, most great defenses do. Much less the fact their safeties are improved and so are their corners, especially Asher Allen. Much less EJ might be back and his brother should contribute as well. Regardless of the fact that the defensive line is as deep as ever.

But yeah try and remember and call me on this all if I am wrong, but I doubt I will be....

Comment

If we are up by so much, why does it matter if the defense quits trying as hard? We won the game right? Tavaris Jackson is NOT going to take us where we need to be, and that is in Dallas for the Super Bowl. I hate Brett Favre, too, don't worry. If he wins us a SB, I will love him, but if he doesn't I will go back to hating him. As much as I hate him, I am a realist and I know that we have a better chance at the Super Bowl with Brett Favre as opposed to Tavaris or Sage. Joe Webb isn't a quarterback. He is a worse version of Tavaris. Chilly just needs to give up his fantasies. Sadly, he probably won't get fired anytime soon. But If you want to move forward with Joe Webb as our future, I pity you. I want Favre back. I want a Super Bowl. I can't accept anything less than that with our loaded roster. **** the future, the future is now. I can deal with a few down years if we win a Super Bowl.

Bonekrusher.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
                            If we are up by so much, why does it matter if the defense quits trying as hard? We won the game right? Tavaris Jackson is NOT going to take us where we need to be, and that is in Dallas for the Super Bowl. I hate Brett Favre, too, don't worry. If he wins us a SB, I will love him, but if he doesn't I will go back to hating him. As much as I hate him, I am a realist and I know that we have a better chance at the Super Bowl with Brett Favre as opposed to Tavaris or Sage. Joe Webb isn't a quarterback. He is a worse version of Tavaris. Chilly just needs to give up his fantasies. Sadly, he probably won't get fired anytime soon. But If you want to move forward with Joe Webb as our future, I pity you. I want Favre back. I want a Super Bowl. I can't accept anything less than that with our loaded roster. **** the future, the future is now. I can deal with a few down years if we win a Super Bowl.
                            I could deal with a decade of down years if we win the Super Bowl. I mean hell, how many down years and stretches of down years have we had in the past without even winning a SB?

sig by BK and avy by me
                            Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                            If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Exactly. Ozzy, if you don't think we are good enough to win the Super Bowl with Favre, that is fine. But to say we will be better without him is just ignorant. Our future at quarterback isn't even currently on our roster, so it really isn't setting us back.

Bonekrusher.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information