This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yo123 View Post
    Being that I figured that game was over when it was 31-12 I like that we were able to make that a game. Red zone possessions ending in FG's did us in.

Oh and RGIII. Because that dude is really good.
    That's one thing, is that this team doesn't quit. Just like the Indy game, down big and they kept fighting and got themselves back within striking distance. Not getting at least one TD in the first quarter really hurt, but even more so was how ****** they played in the second and third quarters hurt even more. The Redskins outscored them 24-3 and outgained them 240-76 in the 2nd and third quarters.

Meh. I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't impressed with RGIII as a passer. He can run, that's for damn sure, but almost all of his success passing the ball came off of play actions with all those zone reads that the defense could not stop. The linebackers were biting up to stop all those runs and that opened up the middle. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm guessing that over 100 of his 182 passing yards came on those plays. He didn't take any big hits this game, but if he runs as much, especially off of those zone reads, he's gonna take a lot of big hits which with a guy as thin as he is, will lead to a lot of injuries, ala Vick, which means games missed because of injuries, years off your career, and the possibility for a career ending injury.

sig by BK and avy by me
    Originally posted by A Perfect Score
    If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

• We did make it really easy on him as a passer, but these are the plays they've been running all year, and they've been working against almost everyone. There's no reason to change the gameplan that's been working. I think he's going to be able to make the throws he needs to when defenses start to adjust, if his college play is any indication.

It took us WAY too long to adjust to those in routes though. That was ridiculous. He would take the shotgun snap, look at one receiver and he'd be wide open on a 12 yard in route. It was ridiculous that we kept our CB's playing the way we did.

Comment

We did make it really easy on him as a passer, but these are the plays they've been running all year, and they've been working against almost everyone. There's no reason to change the gameplan that's been working. I think he's going to be able to make the throws he needs to when defenses start to adjust, if his college play is any indication.

It took us WAY too long to adjust to those in routes though. That was ridiculous. He would take the shotgun snap, look at one receiver and he'd be wide open on a 12 yard in route. It was ridiculous that we kept our CB's playing the way we did.
        Well yea, I'm not saying that it doesn't work/that they need to change their offense, but what I'm saying is that his passing didn't impress me today. Could he make adjustments as defenses adjust and stop that? Maybe, his college play was good, but how many QBs have had major success in spread systems in college but never adjusted to pocket passing in the NFL? Plenty. Hell, in recent years Vince Young was a top pick and looked great as a rookie in a similar offense but never adjusted once it came time to stand in the pocket and throw. Cam Newton looked amazing as a rookie in a spread-esque offense extremely similar to what the Skins are running, but he's struggling mightily this year as defenses are adjusting and the Panthers are also trying to transition to more of an NFL offense.

Griffin is a hell of an athlete and has all the talent in the world, but it's far from a certainty that he becomes a great QB in a pro style offense and if he continues playing in a spread offense where he's running a lot, he's going to take a lot of big hits(which I went into in depth in my last post, so I won't here).

I definitely agree, though, that the way the Vikes defense played them was piss poor. Alan Williams has done a hell of a job this season, but today not quite so much. The defense just shut them down in the first quarter and did well from late 3rd on minus RGIII's big run, but in between they looked terrible and didn't adjust to stop the zone read or the PA off the zone read. I have no idea why they had the corners playing off instead of up jamming at the line, especially Chris Cook, who is at his best when he's in press. That would take some pressure off the linebackers who wouldn't have to worry about the wide receivers getting on them so quick across the middle and it would have allowed them to play a little closer to the line to stop the zone read better.

sig by BK and avy by me
        If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

• Ponder didn't play well. But let's please not ignore the fact that he had absolutely no time to throw all game long. As solid as the run blocking was the pass blocking was just atrocious.

And we made very little effort to get Harvin the ball, did we run a single screen for him? Didn't get that at all.

But good teams find ways to win even when they don't play their best. It wasn't pretty but it counts just the same.
          Last edited by yo123; 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• Arizona has a terrifying defensive line that is one of the best in the league. I'll chalk it up to that. Still not very impressed with the line though. Still hope we continue to make it a priority in the first three rounds of the draft next year. Johnson and Fusco leave much to be desired.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• One thing we're doing better than I can remember us doing in recent memory is kick/punt coverage. Kluwe has been kinda ****** distance wise but he's angling his kicks to the corners and our coverage is doing a fantastic job of keeping contain and keeping the returner on the short side of the field.

Comment

• Ponder was simply horrible yesterday. You can blame the OL all you want, but there's no way we can hold on to any playoff spot when he plays like that. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad mobility, bad everything. I don't think he made a single positive play the entire game. We were extremely lucky that Arizona's offense is as bad as it is.

As good as Ponder looked early on in the season, I'm worried/convinced that he's regressing again and we are headed to a late season disaster collapse. It's just completely obvious decisions that he is getting wrong and it's fairly concerning.
                "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Originally posted by djp View Post
                  Ponder was simply horrible yesterday. You can blame the OL all you want, but there's no way we can hold on to any playoff spot when he plays like that. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad mobility, bad everything. I don't think he made a single positive play the entire game. We were extremely lucky that Arizona's offense is as bad as it is.

As good as Ponder looked early on in the season, I'm worried that he's regressing again.
                  Yup. The OL wasn't good, but there's no way you can blame his performance on the OL or the play calling for that matter. My only complaint with the play calling was I'd have liked to have seen a screen or two for Harvin which has worked so well, but I'm glad that rode Peterson as he was damn good. The silver lining in all this is that Arizona's defense is damn good, and you have to give them credit where it's due.

The good news was that we still won the game despite it being ugly. Last year's team couldn't/didn't do that despite many chances with all the close games we played.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

• Ponder sucked, I'm not solely blaming the O-line. Why can't it be both? I have little doubt we would have thrown for more than 54 yards if Ponder had more than 2 seconds to throw on any given play.

The Cards pass rush killed us and the blitz pickup was pretty damn pathetic too.

Comment

Ponder sucked, I'm not solely blaming the O-line. Why can't it be both? I have little doubt we would have thrown for more than 54 yards if Ponder had more than 2 seconds to throw on any given play.

The Cards pass rush killed us and the blitz pickup was pretty damn pathetic too.
                      Ehhh...I thought the OL was bad, but a high percentage of it was on Ponder. He's also in charge of changing the protection to pick up those blitzes, so that falls on him too. Plus, he stood in the pocket too long several times when there were lanes for him to step up or out. It wasn't the OL's fault at all that he decided to make those two stupid throws that turned into picks, which should have hurt more than they did only leading to 7 points instead of the 10 that it should have, and going into the half up 14-7 is a different feeling than 14-10 with them adding points right before the half when they shouldn't have had a chance. In the first 4 games, Ponder would have taken the sack or just thrown it away in those situations, and that was what was leading to so much praise, but over the past 3 games, he's reverted back to taking stupid risks in situations like that. That and he was earning praise for converting on third downs, of which they went 1 for 10 yesterday. I'm not saying it's all on Ponder, but a huge chunk of it is.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

• Im curios to see how they work Jarius Wright into the offense with Percy back after the bye.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Zod View Post
                          Im curios to see how they work Jarius Wright into the offense with Percy back after the bye.
                          The way Carlson run blocked last game, I doubt Wright gets in the game if Harvin is healthy. Guy was a monster sealing off the edge. Bill Musgrave has made it pretty known that he loves the Ace set in terms of the running game.

Perhaps he'll get some burn if Frazier decides he actually wants a vertical threat outside and sits the Aromashadu/Jenkins platoon that has been nothing short of awful this season.
                          "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• well, that won't happen this year.... harvin's been placed on IR. boo.
                            Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                            Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

• So im wondering how this is gonna play out for the contract Percy wanted next season.

Comment

• Tons of injury/performance based incentives, i hope.
                                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                                Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information