X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIRK TO DECIDE WEDNESDAY BETWEEN RAVENS AND VIKINGS
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 11:19 p.m. EST
    As free-agent center Matt Birk wrapped up the first day of his visit with the Baltimore Ravens, he seems to be getting very close to resolving the situation.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Birk currently plans to make a decision between the Ravens and the Vikings on Wednesday.

If Birk leaves, it’ll be stunning. And, in a roundabout way, the situation could help grease the skids toward a departure of the team to Los Angeles.

Birk, a St. Paul native, is one of the most popular players on the team. There’s a perception that head coach Brad Childress doesn’t really care for Birk, and that the franchise is low-balling him.

So if Birk bolts for Baltimore, the Vikings will take a hit among the locals. And, politically, it’ll make it even harder to solve the problem of getting a new stadium built in Minnesota.

Hopefully for the Vikings, the guy who writes the checks will override Coach Chilly, and finally warm up to a guy who needs to be wearing a purple helmet with horns.
    oh noes!!1! i've been rep raped

Comment

• I wanna see Childress play QB without Birk on that offensive line. Please Zygi, bring back Birk. I will cry if you don't :(:(:(

sig by fenikz
      Originally posted by ImBrotherCain
      You are just a terrible person.
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense
      I have an iPhone.

Comment

• So if Birk bolts for Baltimore, the Vikings will take a hit among the locals. And, politically, it’ll make it even harder to solve the problem of getting a new stadium built in Minnesota.

Why I hate ProFootballTalk.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• We need to resign Birk. I cannot figure out why we wouldn't. We haven't spent any money and there is no one on this team that can step in and play center. Hopefully they figure this out, I would understand if we were strapped for cash but that just isn't the case. He needs to end his career here in MN.

Comment

• Originally posted by hagy34 View Post
            We need to resign Birk. I cannot figure out why we wouldn't. We haven't spent any money and there is no one on this team that can step in and play center. Hopefully they figure this out, I would understand if we were strapped for cash but that just isn't the case. He needs to end his career here in MN.
            We actually like Sullivan a lot from what the Vikings beat writers were saying.

Birk has tailed off immensely over the past two seasons.

I hope we don't overpay.

Sometimes you just gotta move on.
            "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Either Sullivan or draft someone like Mack or Unger. I'd be more than fine with that.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

• BIRK TO BALTIMORE
                Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 4:08 p.m.
                A league source tells us that the Baltimore Ravens have agreed to terms with center Matt Birk.

Birk, a St. Paul native, had spent eleven years with the Vikings, arriving more than a decade ago as a sixth-round draft pick from Harvard, the same year that receiver Randy Moss joined the team as a rookie.

Birk was the last remaining link to the 1998 Vikings team, which won 15 regular-season games before losing the NFC title game to the Falcons.

By all appearances, he gave the Vikings every opportunity to sign him, but as the days passed and no deal was reached he decided to visit Baltimore.

Some thought it was a Kurt Warner-style leverage play, with Birk looking for an offer from Baltimore that he could shop back to the Vikings. (Birk apparently operates on a higher moral plane than that.)

That said, the decision had to be a tough one for Birk, who recently told David Fleming of ESPN The Magazine that he was anxious about uprooting his four small children and moving them halfway across the country.

And, as he told us three years ago, he wanted to stay in Minnesota: “I was born here, I’ll die here. I don’t want to leave.”

But leave he did.

Comment

• http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx
                  The Ravens have agreed to a deal with free agent C Matt Birk, according to Profootballtalk.com.

Minnesota apparently hoped Birk would stay for a "hometown discount," but the Ravens secured the Harvard grad with what figures to be a 2-3 year deal. Birk will take over for Jason Brown, leaving Chris Chester to back up.

Wtf, can't say I agree with this move.

Comment

• We better like Sullivan A LOT. If he doesn't pan out then we are going to be in trouble. Already a shaky right side, center problems would be big trouble for us. For a team that prides itself on pounding the football I don't like the idea of watching our franchise center walk.

Comment

• Our superior quarterbacks will make up for any weakness on the offensive line.

Comment

• Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
                        Our superior quarterbacks will make up for any weakness on the offensive line.
                        I just puked in my mouth.

Comment

• ******* Idiots.

I just don't understand this decision at all.

Yeah, he may have lost a step since his pro-bowl days, but our O-line situation is shaky enough. Now we have to replace our starting center, too?

Rosenfels will do really well with no time to throw the ball & no MN Moving Company to open things up for AD.

As i said before.... The Little General will be gone 2/3rds of the way through the season.

Hopefully
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

• anger. disappointment. rage. sadness.

these are all words that describe my feelings about dickless(sorry, childress) letting birk go. this man is a VIKING through and through. between his charity work and all the giving back to the community, he has been a stand up player, and an all pro. his play may have declined, but he is still by far the best center on the team. we have the cap room, so why the **** couldnt they get their heads out of their asses and get him locked up. this is a major FFUUCCKK up, and i think childress needs to be gone now.

Comment

• that is just my two cents, and i needed a place to vent, so i figured why not here on the vikings board

Comment

• That's my major point of frustration, too.

If you are going to have this "culture of accountability"/good people over good players, why the hell would they let Birk go?

This guy epitomizes what the FO says that they want look for in a player and they let him walk?

As i said in the NFL board, this move is going to piss off a lot of the Vikings fans in MN. Good luck getting public support for a new stadium with moves like this.
                                Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                                Thanks jerks, I have an exam tomorrow and reading this lowered my IQ by 14 points. Dicks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information