Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic quick fix culture being displayed here. Firing the head coach is like taking a pill, sure it is fast and easy, might work in the short term but things are not always that simple. They are actually quite complex and more than one thing comes into play in the end result.

Comment

Well Ozzy its really quite simple, Childress is a horrible coach.

Lets start with drafting we drafted Ryan cook cedric grffin and tavaris jackson in the same draft they all suck.

Childress cut or didnt resign Koren Robinson Mewelde Moore Hank Baskett Daunte Culpepper Jermaine wiggins all of which are better then the guys he replaced them with.

None of the games hes won have we even been ok hardly impressive.

What has him or his pet project done. Last year TJ won 8 games supposedly yet he only thru 8 freaking tds all year. Daunte would of had that this year already!!!!!!!!!!! For all the fumbling Culpepper did he also provided a spark, He won games, T-jack last year against the giants thru 9 freaking passes sure he had a great passer rating most of those were probably screen passes. Not only has he flushed this season down the toilet and wasted another prescious year of are already aging defense but We have nothing that remotely could be mistaken for an offense. NOTHING

Comment

Originally posted by Kid_Ego View Post
        Well Ozzy its really quite simple, Childress is a horrible coach.

Lets start with drafting we drafted Ryan cook cedric grffin and tavaris jackson in the same draft they all suck.

Childress cut or didnt resign Koren Robinson Mewelde Moore Hank Baskett Daunte Culpepper Jermaine wiggins all of which are better then the guys he replaced them with.

None of the games hes won have we even been ok hardly impressive.

What has him or his pet project done. Last year TJ won 8 games supposedly yet he only thru 8 freaking tds all year. Daunte would of had that this year already!!!!!!!!!!! For all the fumbling Culpepper did he also provided a spark, He won games, T-jack last year against the giants thru 9 freaking passes sure he had a great passer rating most of those were probably screen passes. Not only has he flushed this season down the toilet and wasted another prescious year of are already aging defense but We have nothing that remotely could be mistaken for an offense. NOTHING
        I would not even say that is the worst thing about Childress as a head coach. I mean some of that I am sure is the fault of the front office. What I hate about Childress and for that matter Bevell is they absolutly cannot utilze the talent we have on offense. The playcalling by Childress is atrocious. He cannot motivate this team at all. I remember reading about the techniques used by Childress to motivate his players and I think I remember reading a few of them called his techniques downright weird. It is the coaches job to get the most out of his players and in my opinion all Childress does is make them worse and single handidly lose the team games. Nobody ever said firing the coach will solve all of our problems Ozzie but I don't think anyone with a brain can say that firing Childress will not help this team. We will only continue to get worse with Childress as the coach of probably finish with another record around 500 but that is not good enough because this team is far to talented for that. Unquestionably I think we need to start improving this team by firing the worst coach in the NFL and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
          Classic quick fix culture being displayed here. Firing the head coach is like taking a pill, sure it is fast and easy, might work in the short term but things are not always that simple. They are actually quite complex and more than one thing comes into play in the end result.
          Well if so, then why dont you enlighten us. Because We know our Number 1 Rush Offense and Defense cant be the problem....We All know the passing game for both side is terrible..The Management cant be for blame because atleast they went out and got us players that want to win like Allen. I guess that leaves the Coaches and the Schemes we use. So Maybe it actually is Childress and the Coaching staff hmm...

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

Again people like the quick fix and that is all they look for.

Fans try to take out frustration on a coach, sorry Childress is not the problem. Yes he might have made a mistake in drafting Jackson, he probably thought Jackson would be his McNabb. Turns out he does have a rocket arm, but he is not accurate and cannot make simple plays. Which is why he was put on the bench.

Who do we get as our coach? Please would you rather go back to the days of Tice? Where we were a joke of the league because all our players got in trouble with the law.

I will go out and say there is no way Childress will be fired this season. No way, you can all think it, it just will not happen because there is no reason for it.

As for the draft, any Viking fan would know that they have drafted quite well over the past few years. A lot better than they did all the years previous.

Of course if you look back you can say they should have done this or that but please you could do that to basically ever organization in the NFL.

Childress will not be fired, period.

Did Childress make a mistake in Jackson? Jury is still out but most likely yes. However if the Vikings had just a solid consistent QB that made plays all our "problems" would be solved. Oh and it would be nice if Berrian played like he did on the Bears, or if they got Rice the ball more or if McKinnie was not gone for our first few games.
            Last edited by Ozzy; 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
              Again people like the quick fix and that is all they look for.

Fans try to take out frustration on a coach, sorry Childress is not the problem. Yes he might have made a mistake in drafting Jackson, he probably thought Jackson would be his McNabb. Turns out he does have a rocket arm, but he is not accurate and cannot make simple plays. Which is why he was put on the bench.

Who do we get as our coach? Please would you rather go back to the days of Tice? Where we were a joke of the league because all our players got in trouble with the law.

I will go out and say there is no way Childress will be fired this season. No way, you can all think it, it just will not happen because there is no reason for it.

As for the draft, any Viking fan would know that they have drafted quite well over the past few years. A lot better than they did all the years previous.

Of course if you look back you can say they should have done this or that but please you could do that to basically ever organization in the NFL.

Childress will not be fired, period.
              I understand that we have drafted very well but we are not performing well. The reason for that is we have a terrible head coach. The reason he should be fired is because he makes the team worse so it stands to reason that without him we are a better team. Who says we need to go back to the Tice days either. Nobody is holding a gun to the teams head and saying if you fire Childress you have to rehire Tice. Your problem Ozzie is that you are so scared of going back to the dark ages of this team that you are pefectly content with mediocrity and until we fire Childress mediocrity is all we will get. The forumla for the team right now is great talent + terrible coaching = average team. It stands to reason that if we get something besides terrible coaching we should have a shot at winning.

Comment

I understand that we have drafted very well but we are not performing well. The reason for that is we have a terrible head coach. The reason he should be fired is because he makes the team worse so it stands to reason that without him we are a better team. Who says we need to go back to the Tice days either. Nobody is holding a gun to the teams head and saying if you fire Childress you have to rehire Tice. Your problem Ozzie is that you are so scared of going back to the dark ages of this team that you are pefectly content with mediocrity and until we fire Childress mediocrity is all we will get. The forumla for the team right now is great talent + terrible coaching = average team. It stands to reason that if we get something besides terrible coaching we should have a shot at winning.
                Last time I checked pretty much every team in the NFL has talent to some degree. Obviously we do not have that much talent because we have few backup quality DEs. We do not have good quality backup LBs, we also do not have a very deep offensive line, thus Hicks as our starting OT. On top of that we need more good TEs that can stretch the field, and some of our free agents, aka Berrian are not playing well and M. Williams is not even on the field because he is injured.

I say those are reasons, all reasons the coach does not really control. Thus if we were so "talented" why don't we have those key backups? To be talented is a deep football team with good backups, clearly we have few good backups, even our 3rd string RB, who used to be Moore is now basically a non weapon.

They have a lot of problems that in some ways have nothing to do with the coach. As for the player personnel Childress is not the overall for the team, Rick Spielman makes a lot of decisions in the front office and over the past two seasons someone either Spielman or Childress or both have collected some great undrafted free agents, most notably Erin Henderson and Charles Gordon. So their "scouting" is not that bad.

Comment

Yes we have had a good draft the pass 2 years....but the first year I wouldnt consider it good. Let see we got Jackson, Cook, Griffin and we came out with Greenway and Ray Edwards...I would say the only guy so far that has been good is Greenway. But the reason why 07 and 08 Where better so far than 06 maybe because we had different GMs that first year.

And yes we do need a consistent QB if you dont think so then I have no idea why not. Because it is obvious. Tarvaris Jackson is not the answer, He cant read defenses and he is very unaccurate. Gus Frerotte can manage the game but he will be retired in 3 years at most. If we had a QB that could manage the game, get the balls to the receiver, Oh and that can read defenses we might actually win.

Also if we go at the rate we are at 1 win in 4 games so that means 4-12, No Coach deserves to stay as coach at 4-12. I dont think we will go 4-12 but we might not even have a winning record. Zygi wilf didnt spend around 150-200 Million this offseason on guys to lose. He wants to win and if he doesnt see it happening Childress should and will be gone.

Comment

The main problem is that Viking fans are too used to great offenses and are getting so frustrated with the current Viking offense they think firing the coach is the way to go.

This just in, the Vikings have shifted, they are building on defense, we are a defensive team and a running team that does not score a lot of points. Thus we will not be able to get 80 yard TDs 2-3 times a game like the old days.

If the Vikings had Steeler, Bill or Giants uniforms on, most would see them as a pretty damn good football team with some great players. And even with early losses, are still solid and should be a threat all year long. Yet since they have a Viking jersey, and they are not killing people on offense, Viking fans blame the coach.

What happened to the good old days when people blamed the starting QB and cheered the backup? Ferrotte knows those days backing up Culpepper, even Bowman was cheered as a backup and thought to be some type of savior.

However now since the Vikings do not have a unproven backup to cheer, thus Jackson is the backup....now you switch to the head coach? Please....

Comment

• Are you serious Ozzy? If we continue to play like this, there is NO WAY Childress will be our coach next year.

He needs to make the playoffs to keep his job. Almost everyone agrees with that assessment -- media, fans, and probably Childress himself. He has been given a talented team to work with. Tarvaris Jackson will be the death of him as our coach. He could have just as easily traded up for Cutler.

I think Zygi is much too tired of watching a mediocre product on the field when he has poured as much money into this team as any other owner in the NFL. We'd have been in the playoffs last year if he plays Peterson the entire season. That was one of many, many mistakes he's made.
                      "Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya."

Comment

• Also if we go at the rate we are at 1 win in 4 games so that means 4-12, No Coach deserves to stay as coach at 4-12. I dont think we will go 4-12 but we might not even have a winning record. Zygi wilf didnt spend around 150-200 Million this offseason on guys to lose. He wants to win and if he doesnt see it happening Childress should and will be gone.
                        I love the spending, Hutch, Allen, Winfield, Pat Williams...all worth the big money. Berrian has played horrible and again M. Williams is not even on the field. That along with McKinnie being out all these games is a great reason the Vikings have not played all that great. And all three of those reasons have very little to do with the head coach.

Did the head coach make a mistake in wanting Jackson at QB? Probably, but the head coach is not the one who cannot throw a accurate football. Players deserve some if not most of the blame.

I know bad coaches, there are a lot of them, but the Vikings are not the Rams here and need to fire the coach.

PS Linehan will be a great college coach, and hopefully he gets out of this hell that is the NFL.

Comment

• I think Zygi is much too tired of watching a mediocre product on the field when he has poured as much money into this team as any other owner in the NFL. We'd have been in the playoffs last year if he plays Peterson the entire season. That was one of many, many mistakes he's made.
                          I do not think the Vikings will have a bad season. Remember the start of last year? Honestly they are a very up and down team, and again the coach will not change that much. I do not think it will happen during the year at all. If they never win a game the rest of the year, sure he will be but I do not see that happening.

And I say again they do not have that much Fing talent. Seriously again I reference our WRs, DEs, LB and OL depth. Talented teams do not have problems filling holes when players go down, Vikings do. Yes Vikings have a lot of big names but obviously are not that deep.

Not there fault people thought they would win the Super Bowl, why? Because let me guess good defense, stop the run defense, they can run the ball on offense, thus Super Bowl contender. That is pretty standard issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                            I love the spending, Hutch, Allen, Winfield, Pat Williams...all worth the big money. Berrian has played horrible and again M. Williams is not even on the field. That along with McKinnie being out all these games is a great reason the Vikings have not played all that great. And all three of those reasons have very little to do with the head coach.

Did the head coach make a mistake in wanting Jackson at QB? Probably, but the head coach is not the one who cannot throw a accurate football. Players deserve some if not most of the blame.

I know bad coaches, there are a lot of them, but the Vikings are not the Rams here and need to fire the coach.

PS Linehan will be a great college coach, and hopefully he gets out of this hell that is the NFL.
                            Well Berrian cant perform well if he doesnt have a QB that over throws him or hits him in the ankles in slant passes. Childress Made a Huge Mistake with Jackson he put all his Marbles in with Jackson and has failed to date. We could easily traded for Cutler. Then in 07 We could have had Trent Edwards. Both 2 are performing better than a guy that was the next McNabb according to our Great Head Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                              The main problem is that Viking fans are too used to great offenses and are getting so frustrated with the current Viking offense they think firing the coach is the way to go.

This just in, the Vikings have shifted, they are building on defense, we are a defensive team and a running team that does not score a lot of points. Thus we will not be able to get 80 yard TDs 2-3 times a game like the old days.

If the Vikings had Steeler, Bill or Giants uniforms on, most would see them as a pretty damn good football team with some great players. And even with early losses, are still solid and should be a threat all year long. Yet since they have a Viking jersey, and they are not killing people on offense, Viking fans blame the coach.

What happened to the good old days when people blamed the starting QB and cheered the backup? Ferrotte knows those days backing up Culpepper, even Bowman was cheered as a backup and thought to be some type of savior.

However now since the Vikings do not have a unproven backup to cheer, thus Jackson is the backup....now you switch to the head coach? Please....
                              I don't care how many point we score, I care about winning. I care about having a coach who does not only know how to make idiotic playcalls. I care about cheering for a team that has the desire to win and will do whatever it takes to get that win, something we are not under Brad Childress. I do not care if we win 1-0 or 100-99, a win is a win. I also do have a backup QB to cheer, John David Booty so I do not know why you think that every Viking fan blames the coach because we do not feel like blaming the QB. We blame the coach because he is terrible and one of the many reasons we are losing. Firing Childress also happens to be one of the easiest fixes to one of our problesm we have. Sure we need a better QB and we need to improve our secondary and I am sure we will get to that. First though I think we need to take care of our biggest problem.

Comment

• It is just probably not going to happen gentleman. What it is his 3rd year, he easily gets at least one more year outside of this season to prove himself.

And please, you think the season will be saved by changing the head coach? Is that a joke? Change the head coach, change the entire offense at mid season, yeah see how the Rams do with all of that.

And who again would we bring in to replace him?

Love to hear all of these outstanding head coaches out there that would be so much better than Childress.

If a change will be made it will not be for awhile.

Now the Timberwolves, I am all for firing Wittman and hiring the hysterical Jeff Van Gundy! He is smart as can be and could teach the Wolves how to play some real defense ;o)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information