Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you honestly expect out of Williamson this year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on the "don't write off Troy Williamson" badwagon for some time now. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time of when the Vikings seemingly reached on him, but what's done is done I say and the kid certainly does have talent. It's just that, because he was a Top 10 pick, critics are (unreasonably) expecting him to blossom before his third year despite him being a raw prospect coming out of college to begin with, not to mention he was learning a second offense in as many years in 2006.

I thought Williamson made great strides last year, he was attacking the field and running some good routes early on, but the loss of confidence from his drops coupled with Brad Johnson's inability to be a starter in this league and Childress' less-than-thrilling playcalling as the year wore on didn't help. Now that he has T-Jack, with his live right arm and mobility, as his QB as well as the experience of two years in the legague and a year in Childress' offense especially under his belt, I think he'll continue to progress and improve.

Although he'll need someone else on the receiving core, other than Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson who are both backs, to step up as legitimate weapons. Line up AD in the slot or out wide, I say. ;)
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I love the excuse that "he was learning a new offense".
      He wasn't running new routes, they were just called something different,
      plus what offense is it that requires him to drop wide open passes ??
      which one is that again ??

...like I said..if he can stay on the active roster for all 16 games I'd think
      that would be a major accomplishment for him.

Comment

Originally posted by hagy34 View Post
        60 catches for 1500 yards???? No way. That would be 25 yards per catch. If he reaches 1000 yards that would be amazing in my mind. His eyes may be bad but seriously, some of the adjustments he made on the ball last year were horrible. I could make some of those plays with a patch over one eye. Troy, you are the number 7 overall pick and got a huge pay check you never should've...catch the damn ball.
        Perhaps it is a little high, but he has the speed to go deep. There is no reason for him to do 5 yard stop routes, get him in the open field. If he makes better adjustments on the ball then he should have no problem being a deep threat.

Comment

Jake Reed was the last Vikings WR to go Nike for eye problems. The following season he recorded 85 cathes for 1,100+ yards and 4 TD's. This was coming off of a 5 catch 65 yard season with no touchdowns.
          There are fans out there who could find out that Brett Favre could run over 14 puppies and they still wouldn't care. They would think he was still the greatest thing since sliced bread.
          -Mark Chmura

Comment

Originally posted by jerthemessiah View Post
            Jake Reed was the last Vikings WR to go Nike for eye problems. The following season he recorded 85 cathes for 1,100+ yards and 4 TD's. This was coming off of a 5 catch 65 yard season with no touchdowns.
            I promise you that Jake Reed had someone on the other side of him to draw double coverages....who exactly is going to do that in this offense ?
            Both might've been fast but Reed was a legit burner.
            Williamson is more of a screen / slant guy

Comment

If they don't just send him deep all the time I think Williamson could have a solid year. In the Carolina game they gave him screens and slants and he looked like he could handle himself well. Do more of that and Williamson will produce.
              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I could also go on a rant about how Uncle Joe from Willky Wonka is a major dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
                I promise you that Jake Reed had someone on the other side of him to draw double coverages....who exactly is going to do that in this offense ?
                Both might've been fast but Reed was a legit burner.
                Williamson is more of a screen / slant guy
                Reed was no burner, Williamson is certainly faster. Willamsons only problem is catching the ball. If that can be fixed he'll certainly be more productive. Reed didn't have problems catching the football in college because the white stripe made it easier for his eyes to focus on the ball.
                There are fans out there who could find out that Brett Favre could run over 14 puppies and they still wouldn't care. They would think he was still the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                -Mark Chmura

Comment

Reed was a walking band aid. The guy was way over rated and never really justified his draft status

Comment

Honestly, if he can learn to catch the ball he can have a 1000 yard 8 TD season. He gets open, and we all know hes fast. And with Tavaris's strong arm that could be dangerous.

Comment

Now, let's change this topic. How do you guys think Tarvaris Jackson will do this year? I think he'll have sort of like Vince Youngs statistics (keep in mind they weren't very good).

Comment

I think he will do better than what he has shown from last year, 1 year under the WCO is good and now being its his 2nd year he should know the playbook and he has better weapons that brad johnson did last year. He has all the tools to be good and i just hope he is. His Ratio between TD's and INT could be the same

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

Originally posted by BuckNaked View Post
                          Now, let's change this topic. How do you guys think Tarvaris Jackson will do this year? I think he'll have sort of like Vince Youngs statistics (keep in mind they weren't very good).
                          Thread highjacker!

I hope he has a Vince Young year, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information