Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I forced myself to go back and re-watch the Tampa game here's some of my observations.

- On the very first Offensive series of the game Devery Henderson dropped 2 catchable passes, and then again in the 2nd quarter he couldn't make a good enough play on an Endzone fade. They weren't gimme receptions by any means but they were catches that NFL caliber Receivers make often, or at least make a better play on then he did. I really think the Coach's patience with Devery is getting very thin, and that he may be benched as soon as this week. If he wasn't already.. (Patten, Moore played instead of him in the 2nd half) His hands are becoming too much of a liability on Offense and the drops are really killing any momentum we might establish on Drives.

- 3rd down execution is just killing us.. Second drive of the game Deuce actually picks up the 1st on a run up the middle but Fumbles the football...which really killed our momentum. Jeff Faine really didn't do a good job of blocking their MLB, Ruud he got a good initial drive but failed to finish the block - and Ruud was just able to shed the block too easily and strip Deuce of the football. This error really killed our Offensive rhythm, and might've been the early turning point of the game as the Bucs scored a Touchdown on the ensuing possession.

- I still don't think the Defense is as absolutely atrocious as the score is making it look. Make no mistake it's definitely a unit lacking talent overall but on the Bucs first 5 possesions, we managed to make them go 3 and out Three times, and 1 of their Touchdown drives they started with a short field because of a fumble from our Offense. During that same span we Punted 3 times, lost a fumble, and then missed a field goal. Simply put.. our Defense is on the field way too long. It's obvious the Offense is leaving them out to dry and isn't holding up their share. If our Offense would play up to it's potential and go on those 6-8 minute scoring drives like it's designed to do our Defense wouldn't have as much burden on it and could actually play fresh, and with a lead...something they haven't had all season so far.

- Ball security with our backs is a huge issue. Payton needs to get Reggie, and Deuce to run overtime in Fumble Prevention drills. We had 4 fumbles between the both of them in just the first half, and to imagine only 1 was lost. There's simply no excuse for that.

- Reggie's Personal Foul early in the 3rd quarter was absolutely inexcusable. At that point in the game we were only down 21-0 and were just starting to gain some Offensive rhythm. I know June kneed him as he was down, but you have to keep your composure in that situation and just get back to the huddle.

- I know it sounds kind of cliche but Tampa just wanted this game more than us. They were so fired up, playing with so much passion, bringing the huge hits on every play. We just couldn't match their intensity level.

- The Offensive line played miserably, I don't know how or why they've regressed so much from last year but even back up players like Greg White, and Jovan Haye man handled Jammal Brown, Jamar Nesbit, and Jahri Evans at times; getting to the QB before he even finished dropping back. It's miscommunication, blown blocking assignments, and them just getting overpowered at the snap.

- Brees just isn't on the same page with his Wide Receivers, right at the 2:00 minute warning at the end of the 1st half Brees threw the Fade stop along the right sidelines to Patten. The exact same play that was executed beautifully vs. KC in the Pre-Season... but this time Patten kept going and ran the Fade deeper, thus the throw went no where but out of bounds. Drew's just not seeing the field. He needs to be more patient, but honestly he can't because the protection won't allow for him to be patient so he feels he has to hurry to get the ball out. On the Interception, it was just a simple zone June jammed the slot WR at the line, and then dropped right back into the Hook Zone in front of Patten. Brees just needed to look off the Linebacker and clear the zone a little better, and he could've had Colston deeper down the seam.

- Drew Brees ran a QB sneak...down by the goal-line...and I almost died.. thankfully he came back out of the pile in one piece.

Maybe I'm crazy but somewhere deep down there's a good football team they just have to find themselves again. If they can't get it going at Home, on Monday Night and at least play a competitive game after 3 weeks I don't know if they ever will.
    Last edited by Auron; 09-20-2007, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Like I said after the Indy game, the main problem we're having with our team right now is the offensive line. I don't know WHAT it is, but it's just been bad.

Tomorrow is a HUGE game... I hate the term "must-win", but we really really need to seize this one. VY is going to be a big factor, but hopefully with the home crowd we can start righting the ship.
      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

only four hours to KO. predictions everyone??

i think the saints O finally gets going and my prediction will be 44-28, saints winning. (highly unlikely its that high, but whatev.)

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Week 3 - Titans @ Saints
          vs.
          Monday, September 24th. 8:30 PM (Eastern)

- I'll just go ahead and say it.. this is a must win game for the Saints, well at least in my mind it is. We have to get the ball rolling somehow and just get that first Win, and then everything else will fall into place. If we come out flat and play a terrible all-around game for the Third Week in row there will be some serious problems going into the Bye Week. I just want to see some fire, and intensity maybe being on Home turf for the first time this season can give the players a boost and they can rally behind the Dome crowd.

- I'd really like Payton to go back to some of the original plays we were so successful at last season. The Bush reverse, and Ghost motion plays. Things that kept Defenses off balance, and honest on the backside of the running plays and opened some lanes for Deuce last year. Utilize the 3 step drop package more often in the play calling.

- I hope we can get Drew Brees in a rhythm early, set up some quick, high percentage passes early to get him on a roll, and that can open up some deeper plays for us later in the game.

- I'm a little concerned about the match-up problems our Defense faces against Tennessee's running game in which Vince Young gives them a very unique aspect. We have to contain the running gaps a lot better, and take away VY's running lanes. Will Smith, and Charles Grant can't get to aggressive rushing the passer and might have to play more of a contain role because VY is very good at eluding Defenders who overpursue and scrambling out of the pocket.

The Saints really seem to play their best when I doubt them the most. I hope we at least play a good game and give a solid effort at Home.

Comment

Yeah, we really need to win this one. Watch for Roman Harper to be the spy on VY just like he was against Vick last year in the home opener.

I don't care if we win by 30 or 1, I just want to win. :(
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
              Yeah, we really need to win this one. Watch for Roman Harper to be the spy on VY just like he was against Vick last year in the home opener.

I don't care if we win by 30 or 1, I just want to win. :(
              I agree at this point I'll give anything for a win, no matter if it's ugly or not. I'll take a nailbiter 30-27 win coming off a last second field goal, or a sluggish Defensive type game. (if we can pull one off)

I think the key as always is in the Turnover ratio, where we have been miserable at in all our losses. Holding onto the football, and making smart decision is crucial. (cover up the football, no need to fight for extra yardage when there is no hope) Also it would be great if Defensively we could force a Turnover, or 2. If our Offense struggles a big Defensive play could possibly give them a spark if they end up with good field position.

Comment

Deuce is hurt. This can't be good.

Comment

Good game, guys.

I hope Deuce is ok, and I'm rooting for you guys for the rest of the season.
                  Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                  Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                  Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

This team is going to give me headaches all season.

If Deuce's injury is anything significant..oh man its going to be hideous.

Comment

So far this season has made me feel like I've been kicked in the face, and every time I try to get back up I get kicked in the face again. I'm just so glad there's a Bye Week this early because I don't know how much more heartbreak I can take, and after everything we went through last season and the season before it hurts that much more. I kind of wonder why this always happens to the Saints, everytime it looks like we're about to turn the corner and make the next step as a franchise we always fall off a cliff. It happened with Haslett/Brooks and it looks like year 2 of the Payton regime is going down that same route.

KFFL, and ESPN are reporting Deuce tore his ACL the same one that was repaired in the game, and is out for the season. KFFL.com
                      Saints | McAllister tears ACL
                      Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:56:08 -0700

ESPNews reports New Orleans Saints RB Deuce McAllister (ACL) suffered a torn ACL Week 3 against the Tennessee Titans. He will likely miss the rest of the 2007 season.

Comment

This season is exactly what I was afraid of. I just had a gut feeling that we'd come out this year and fall flat on our faces.

I'm disappointed but its really nothing new. I'm so used to futility from this franchise that it doesn't really bother me. Time to start building for the future..again.

Comment

Any word on Jamaal Brown?
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                            Any word on Jamaal Brown?
                            Other than he's been absolutely horrid so far this year? Nah, nothing on that front.

Comment

I heard he suffered a dislocated finger. Maybe he hasn't fully recovered from the Bone Bruise he suffered in the off-season? I still can't quite figure out how a unit the gave up only 18 sacks through 15 games, can completely fall off a cliff the next year.

Part of an article on FootballOutsiders, on the Offensive line. Every Play Counts
                              Plays on which none of the five offensive linemen looked like competent professional football players were common. Consider, for instance, the second play of the second half. On that play, the Titans rushed five and the Saints had seven in to block. That should have given quarterback Drew Brees plenty of time to pass. Instead, Brees was pressured from the right, the left and the middle. Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch was the player who hit Brees as he threw, but the other four Titans rushing him all got close.

The worst player on the field Monday night was probably Nesbit, who was brutalized by Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. On third-and-6 on the Saints’ first drive, Brees had pressure in his face from both Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch. The pressure came on a stunt, with Haynesworth going to the outside and Vanden Bosch coming inside, but it wasn’t trickery that allowed the Titans’ front to overpower the Saints’ line, it was sheer force. Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch just overpowered Nesbit and Brown.
                              Right now I think the best case scenario for the Saints is having a season like the Packers, or Titans last year where they start out terribly slow, and then start to click midway through and go on a winning streak at the end of the year to finish 8-8 and just miss the playoffs.

Comment

Week 5 - Panthers @ Saints
                                vs.
                                Sunday, October 7th. 1:00 PM (Eastern)

- After a Bye Week hopefully the team has had the proper time to just rest, and recollect themselves. I just hope the team plays loose, confident, and calm. I think in some of the games this season they've felt the burden of high expectations and have started to press, and start playing out of desperation; and when you do that you force errors. This team needs to go back to playing smart & fundamental football.

- I think we start working in some of the younger guys. With Jason David out for a while, I hope Usama Young sees some more time in Nickel packages. David Patten is questionable, so maybe Robert Meachem will be activated for the first time this season. Also Pierre Thomas should get some touches, Payton should have a few packages to get him on some screens, and draw plays.

- Eh not really much else to say..the Panthers are going through some struggles of their own lately. So it should be a different atmosphere not facing a team that's on a hot streak and fully confident. They key IMO is playing loose, and not panicking if things don't go so well early on.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information