• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auron
    started a topic Official Game Day Thread

Official Game Day Thread

Discuss Saints game day football here!

Introduce breakdowns of their opponents each week, discuss whether or not they will win, discuss keys to victory, and all else that is associated with Saints game day football!

Geaux Saints!

A few days early but I just can't hold back generating some thoughts/discussion for this game. I've been waiting the whole off-season for it.

Week 1 - Saints @ Colts
    vs.
    Thursday, September 6th. 8:30 PM (Eastern)

This is a tough match up for an opener, it should be one of the most exciting games in Week 1. It is widely expected to be a "Shoot Out" and for good reason as 2 of the league's best Offenses square off on national TV. I think this a great test for our team to see how we stack up against the AFC Elite, with all the Super Bowl hype of the off-season. Some of my key thoughts for this game:

- Will Smith & Charles Grant absolutely have to step up with huge games and show why they are Pro Bowl caliber players who are regarded to be one of the better DE tandems in the league. It's not all about sacks, Peyton Manning is one of; if not the most difficult QB to sack in the league simply because he's so great at feeling and avoiding the rush, and getting rid of the ball quickly. What I feel is most important is getting enough consistent pressure to force him to get rid of the ball before he wants to.

- Jammal Brown is also another key player along the trenches for this game. It'll be a monumental task for Brown who is coming off a knee injury and is probably rusty after not having played in a pre-season game for a while to just step right back in and block Dwight Freeney, one of the best pure pass rushers in the game. As long as he can hold his own.. I expect to see us give him a lot of help by rotating in a Tight End on his side, and sending a RB to chip Freeney.

- I hope we utilize Roman Harper as a extra Linebacker down in the box to Shadow Addai and cover him on those quick dumpoffs and screens Manning loves to check down to. I'd also like to see us bring him on the blitz.

- This was a rough draw as a first game to throw our Secondary into. This was our weakest unit last season, and although I think it is improved. Facing a QB like Peyton, and all those weapons in the passing game. (Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez) is a monstrous challenge for any Secondary. I'm already expecting us to give up 200+ yards passing but I think the key is buckling down and getting the key stops down in the redzone, and on 3rd downs.

- We have to sustain long drives and eat up clock to keep Peyton and co. off the field as much as possible. They'll try to do the same thing to us so the Defense has to get off the field and can't fail on 3rd downs.

Also I can't believe we are only 4 days away from this game.
    Last edited by diabsoule; 09-02-2007, 09:42 PM.

• Saints Dome Patrol
    replied
    Saints WIN, Saints WIN!

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
    Loved what I saw out of the defense today. We were able to stop the run (minus that one long run from SJax) and got key stops when they were required.

I would like to see the offense click a little more than they were. Brees missed on some passes to Colston and Graham. I'm just glad to be the only team in the division to get a W today
    Whew!
    What. A. Game.

I was one of the thousands in attendance and let me tell you, I was on the edge of my seat all game long! I really wasn't sure if we were going to win that one, especially with the Falcons able to drive the ball most of the field in less than two minutes.

I'll be back on here later to talk more about the game in more detail, but I'll tell you, this has to be one of the first times that the DEFENSE picked up the slack for the offense's shortcomings.

Leave a comment:

• Saints-Tigers
    replied
    Yea, Brees was a little off and behind on a few throws that I expect to be clockwork from him. Look for him to be much sharper next week.

More Pierre Thomas please.

Leave a comment:

• diabsoule
    replied
    Loved what I saw out of the defense today. We were able to stop the run (minus that one long run from SJax) and got key stops when they were required.

I would like to see the offense click a little more than they were. Brees missed on some passes to Colston and Graham. I'm just glad to be the only team in the division to get a W today

Leave a comment:

• Naga114
    replied
    Very pleased by this win.
    Nice defense but I know the offense can be better than today.

Leave a comment:

• Auron
    replied
    Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
    After looking back at some highlights and short segments, I must say our first rounder this year has to be a DE. Mingo, Montgomery or Werner: I don't care. We had only one sack when we should have had several. Pressure on opposing QB's is what we need.
    If our entire drafted consisted of Defensive Ends, and Outside Linebackers I wouldn't complain.

Leave a comment:

• CJSchneider
    replied
    After looking back at some highlights and short segments, I must say our first rounder this year has to be a DE. Mingo, Montgomery or Werner: I don't care. We had only one sack when we should have had several. Pressure on opposing QB's is what we need.

Leave a comment:

• CJSchneider
    replied
    Better late than never, and it looks like it was successful.

Leave a comment:

• diabsoule
    replied
    Originally posted by vidae
    I didn't see a week 3 thread but I wanted to say good game. That was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen - both ways - but it was an entertaining game anyway.

Continued health and good luck the rest of the way guys. I definitely wouldn't count you out in that division.
    Thanks, vidae, and good luck to your Chiefs. I was at the game as a gift from my dad. His wife and my fiance were out of town so he gave me a choice of going to Auburn for the LSU game or going to the Saints game and I chose the Saints.

Regardless of how enjoyable an atmosphere it was and how cool it was seeing Steve Gleason's statue in person was, the game itself was piss poor. The officiating was just a notch under what we saw Monday night with Green Bay and Seattle. However, that's not an excuse for how Jammal Charles just bent over our defense and raw-dogged us for four quarters plus overtime.

I'm still bitter and am done with football under Goodell gets fired or the real refs come back. But I take nothing away from Kansas City; ya'll played a hell of a game and need to be commended.

Congrats, man. Good luck in your division and I hope ya'll have continued health.

Leave a comment:

• Auron
    replied
    Lol, that pretty much sums it up.

I think I'm done watching NFL Football until 1 of 2 things happen.

A.) Sean Payton gets re-instated. Or

B.) Roger Goodell gets fired.

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy
    replied
    I can tell you that I'm not looking forward to facing Suh this time, albeit we do have 3 Pro-bowl lineman.
    Brian De La Puente and I would guess Carl Nicks need to be prepared and ready. Funny too considering Nicks & Suh both went to Nebraska and I'm sure they had their fair share of battles in practice during their days there.

Leave a comment:

• CJSchneider
    replied
    I can tell you that I'm not looking forward to facing Suh this time, albeit we do have 3 Pro-bowl lineman.

Leave a comment:

• Flyboy
    replied
    I think with the Seattle game being on the mind for our team from last year...I think we'll be prepared. And it's a home game. If we show the consistency on offense and defense like we have in the past 8 weeks, I think we win this one... but it won't be easy at all.

Leave a comment:

• Auron
    replied
    Even though Ingram was starting to come around and play really well before he went down.. I think Ivory has outperformed him thus far, and is the better all around back at this point in time.

Regarding this Detroit game. It's going to be war. They are a much healthier team than last time we played them, and are going to be out to prove something after basically blowing the last game away with numerous penalties. I think we're going to need our best game to date to win, I also don't like Lance Moore being out although I think we can manage.

Leave a comment:

• wicket
    replied
    I can't agree more. He had better grow into the position at which he was drafted is all I can say. I have to eat my words in that area. I was excited to get Ingram even if I had to acknowledge we paid more than we should have for him. Looking back, it turns out it was a pretty bone head move. DeMarco Murray, Roy Helu, Kendall Hunter and Jacquizz Rodgers all would have made better 2nd round, non-trade scenario picks.
    never been more bummed to be right about something, although im always pretty psyched about being right, im an ass in that perspective

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information