Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're looking too much into age, I don't like signing aging veterans either, but these guys are consistent veterans who have playing at a high level despite of age.

Simoneau was the weak link on the LB corps this year, he was able to get players aligned and make the calls but he lacks sideline to sideline speed, often times the other LBs got to ball carriers before him. He often times took a false step in the wrong direction and bit on misdirection, which in turn opened up running lanes for opposing backs. When Hollis Thomas was drawing double teams he still failed to make plays.

Compare Edwards', and Fletcher's production over the past 3 years and you can see why people think it is decent upgrade at the position.

Donnie Edwards
    Year G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Pass Def
    '04 16 150 104.0 46 1 5 8
    '05 16 152 112.0 40 3 2 9
    '06 16 141 97.0 44 2.5 3 4

London Fletcher
    '04 16 142 92.0 50 3.5 0 3
    '05 16 157 104.0 53 4 1 2
    '06 16 146 104.0 42 2 4 7

Mark Simoneau
    '04 14 48 33.0 15 1.5 0 0 1
    '05 16 36 27.0 9 0 0 0 2
    '06 16 61 33.0 28 1 1 0 0

noticeable difference, Fletcher, and Edwards have been consistent highly productive starters, while Simoneau has been a backup who was able to be a serviceable starter for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
      Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.
      I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
        I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.
        I think I said that Mitchell wouldn't be much of an upgrade in another thread, but quite honestly I don't know that much about him. If what you say is true, he would be a fine signing. I've heard bad things about him though, such as never lived up to his potential.
        The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Saints Signings/Releases

to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN-News...

Comment

Originally posted by Saints67 View Post
            to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN.
            I think I speak for the majority of Saints fans on here when I say...

THANK GOD! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
            https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.
                That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by Auron View Post
                  That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.
                    Yeah. Well if he ever experiences a major drop off after this year the Saints can cut him with little, to no penalty.

In the end I think this deal will be ok, there's going to be a lot of inflated contracts this off-season with the increased cap space around the league.

Now Mickey can focus his attention to working things out with Grant, and negotiating with Stinchcomb.

Comment

I think we had to overpay him a little but now we have our main run stuffer back. I'm hoping we can still land someone like DT Ian Scott to help out the rotation. Here's hoping too that we can sign someone like Rod Hood as well.

WHO DAT!

Comment

I think we overpaid for a 32 year old DT when there is some much talent at the DT in the middle rounds of this draft and the Saints have numerous picks in those rounds. I hope they still draft someone like a Paul Soliai out of Utah in the 4th to get started in the rotation this year or sign someone the likes of Ian Scott. I really liked with Gibbs did with the 4 DT rotation last year, you just have to make sure your 3rd and 4th defensive tackle or a huge dropoff from the 1st and 2nd.

Comment

Saints Re-Signings/Releases

Linky: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3337
                          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I think that's good news. I liked the way he played last year. He seemed reliable in the passing game and looked to be a decent blocker.

WHO DAT!

Comment

Yeah, he wasn't bad at all. I always liked him ever since he was a Texan. Only thing that kills me about him is the penalties that he tends to get that kills drives.
                              The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Well, now, it seems that with Billy Miller re-signed to an extenstion, we can look to the middle rounds of the Draft to get another tight end especially since we don't know if Mark Campbell will be healthy and I think that Ernie Conwell's days in New Orleans are running low.

Just my opinion...

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
                                https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information