This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
    Saw a post about Eric Johnson signing, and I can't underscore how much I love that signing. It's the type of smart gamble winning organizations take. There's no certainty that Eric Johnson will be healthy, but when he was healthy, he was a solid intermediate target. Love the gamble, and makes sense from both sides (1 year deal to let him reestablish his value).
    Payton has made his name with these kind of risk/reward signings... acquired Jeff Faine, Hollis Thomas, Scott Fujita, and Scott Shanle last season. All players that were cast aside by their former teams...and have played up to their potential here.

I like the move even more because even if Johnson's injury problems rear their head, we re-signed Billy Miller, and have Mark Cambell for depth so we're not relying on him to be the sole contributor at TE.

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
      I thought Harper played strong safety, and Bullocks played free safety from the get-go. Are you sure about that?

And yes, Hood would be an upgrade over Thomas, but quite unfortunately it appears as if Fred will remain with the team.
      Yea you're right about Harper playing strong side. I remembered last offseason seeing a press conference where Payton said he was going to move Bullocks over but I guess it never played out I guess.

Regardles of how bad Fred Thomas is, I've accepted he will be staying. The good thing is that he brings veteran leadership to any new guy we get via draft or FA. I doubt he starts next year. He's played 12 years with some good seasons so hopefully he can at least pass on what he knows to someone else.

Comment

Saw a post about Eric Johnson signing, and I can't underscore how much I love that signing. It's the type of smart gamble winning organizations take. There's no certainty that Eric Johnson will be healthy, but when he was healthy, he was a solid intermediate target. Love the gamble, and makes sense from both sides (1 year deal to let him reestablish his value).
        Very good point. I believe during at one point two seasons ago he was leading the league in receptions, period. That's damn impressive.. IF he can stay healthy... just another cog in our offensive.
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

• If the Saints are able to sign either Rod Hood and Ken Hamlin we would have signed a veteran player in each of our positions of need and will be able to go with the BPA in the draft, which I believe is the best draft strategy (excluding RB and QB)

also
          with the Eric Johnson signing does anyone think that this will eliminate the possibility of going for Greg Olsen in the first. The contract was only one year so I think that we could still go with Olsen because a top notch Tight End would make it easier on the rest of the offense
          Last edited by BiggerFoot; 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BiggerFoot View Post
            with the Eric Johnson signing does anyone think that this will eliminate the possibility of going for Greg Olsen in the first. The contract was only one year so I think that we could still go with Olsen because a top notch Tight End would make it easier on the rest of the offense
            I think the Draft strategy you mentioned above, is the approach this staff is going take. Fill as many needs as you can in FA, and then Draft BPA. (best player available) If they have Olsen graded out as BPA when we're on the clock, he'll be the pick..if not someone else will.

Interesting note. Eric Johnson is only 2 years removed from his best season in 2004. Here's his stats from the '04 season.

Games played - 16, Receptions - 82, Yards - 825 ,Yards Per Catch - 10.1 , Touchdowns - 2.

Also you have to keep in mind his QB's on that team were Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey, Kevan Barlow was at RB, and Brandon Lloyd, Rashaun Woods at WR..

He's 6"3 so we have another big target for Drew in the redzone, and Payton can do a lot of things with him in this Offense.

Comment

I think that the Saints have done a good job, addressing depth at positions of need this off-season. I was not sure about the signing of LB Brian Simmons, but I've warmed to the idea of him, since I read an interview on NewOrleansSaints.com... he seems like a quality, high character guy. I'm not high his age, but I think he can provide depth and veteran leadership.

Here's the link to the interview:
              Q & A with Brian Simmons

Now, with the signing of TE Eric Johnson, I think that the Saints are adding more depth to an already strong position with Mark Campbell, Billy Miller, and John Owens. And like toonsterwu said, the fact that the contract is only an one year deal, it's like a trial period for him, to see if he's completely healthy and worth a long-term extension.

Now, I hope that the Saints are able to sign one of the cornerbacks that they've brought in for visits. Today alone, the Saints brought in CBs Roderick Hood and William James from Philadelphia. I know that diabsoule is very high on Rod Hood, so we'll have to see what happens.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
              https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

• I really like the signing of Eric Johnson for the Saints. Decent run blocker with soft hands. Payton loves using the tight ends in the passing game and Brees loves throwing to the tight end, just look at Gates states from 05 compared to 06, especially when mismatched against a lot of the OLB's in the league.

I think when the signing of Johnson it does take the Saints out of the Olsen running, although their are some teams above the Saints that may not even make Olsen an option, and I am still leaning towards possibly moving down into the early second and picking up a third the next year and possibley another third this year if they could get a bite on it, and if you could do that then make the trade for Darrel Jackson that someone brought up earlier in the thread. The draft this year has a lot of mid round TE's that could go earlier in the draft a lot of years. I also am a fan of Sidney Rice at the end of the 1st round if you can't swing a deal for another vetern wideout.

Comment

• Personally, I would have prefered McMichael over Johnson. I am just too worried about Johnson's injury history to feel that he will be able to contribuate valuably to our team. I think this signing is just like the signing of Ernie Conwell a few years ago.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                    Personally, I would have prefered McMichael over Johnson. I am just too worried about Johnson's injury history to feel that he will be able to contribuate valuably to our team. I think this signing is just like the signing of Ernie Conwell a few years ago.
                    Eh still little risk involved, 1 year deal.. Johnson needs to be productive to get a big contract next year. So he should be motivated.

If he winds up hurt, we still have our Tight ends from last season Mark Campbell, and Billy Miller, with the ability to call up Owens.

Comment

• Indianapolis free-agent wide receiver Brandon Stokely is visiting the New Orleans Saints on Thursday.
                      Source: http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

• Rumor: ESPN has reported that, Rod Hood will sign with the saints by Friday.

also, Kaesvaharnis close to signing with the saints as well...
                        Last edited by Saints67; 03-08-2007, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• ahhh, i forgot the sources...

Kaesviharn: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...-done-with.asp

Hood: it's a rumor as of right now...but a poster on Saintsreport.com had stated..that on the 'Dan Patrick show'...Dan reported that Hood may sign with the saints as early as friday...

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints67 View Post
                            Rumor: ESPN has reported that, Rod Hood will sign with the saints by Friday.

also, Kaesvaharnis close to signing with the saints as well...
                            I know diabsoule will be super happy if the Saints do end up signing Roderick Hood, but I don't know enough about Kevin Kaesviharn to make a judgment one way or another. According to NFL.com's Adam Schefter, Kaesviharn is "always seems to be around the ball" and has narrowed his choices to the re-signing with Cincinnati, or signing with Arizona or the Saints.

Cross your fingers, gentlemen.
                            Last edited by Saints Dome Patrol; 03-08-2007, 07:03 PM.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
                            https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

• I would rather have Ken Hamlin over Kevin Kaesviharn because from what I hear Hamlin is excellent with run support which is what the Saints need help with the most. Although Kaesviharn had 6 interceptions last year I just think that Hamlin would be the type of player that could give our defense some pop to it. Where teams would dread playing against us, we need a little mean streak

Comment

• Originally posted by BiggerFoot View Post
                                I would rather have Ken Hamlin over Kevin Kaesviharn because from what I hear Hamlin is excellent with run support which is what the Saints need help with the most. Although Kaesviharn had 6 interceptions last year I just think that Hamlin would be the type of player that could give our defense some pop to it. Where teams would dread playing against us, we need a little mean streak
                                I like Hamlin as well, but he might be looking for a huge contract..and I don't think we'll overpay especially when we might be able to get Kaesviharn for a fraction of the cost.

If we sign Hood, and a Safety I'll be a pretty happy man for now.
                                Last edited by Auron; 03-08-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information