No announcement yet.

Saints Mock Drafts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to Auron, we have a better picture of Chris Houston to use for our posts.

Looking at this picture, that Mississippi State guy's face says it all...
    "Oh [expletive deleted]!"

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs

Comment

There are a lot of different ways we can go with this pick. Picking a CB (which is out biggest need) in the 1st round is a great start to upgrading our defense. I was really tempted to vote for Mason Crosby (K) with this pick because John Carney is old and he would immediately give us a great special teams weapon for many years to come. However; we also have needs at DT, WR and LB. If we want to get a #2 WR in the Draft this very well might be our last chance (all though we did find our #1 in the 7th round last year). I didn't vote for a WR simply because it seems likely that we pick up one in Free Agency (Keenan McCardell?) and we also have a great RB that can catch coming out of the back-field, so that leaves DT and LB. We did improve out LB core in Free Agency so I ended up going for a DT in Justin Harrell out of Tennessee because he would give great value late in the 2nd round (if he is available).
      Last edited by Sveen; 03-26-2007, 03:48 PM.

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

other wr

i think with the high wash out rate on WR it would be wise to get some depth on both sides of the ball on the front lines in the 2nd and 3rd round me myself i like the looks of david ball all he lacks from being a elite player is the blazing speed and he can be got in the 4rth or 5th round. Not sure many will agree with me but i feel as if we will get are best players in the later rounds i really think we might get 3 starters with the last 6 picks in this yrs draft

Comment

I'm sure a few of you guys won't be in love with my mock, but this is exactly the type of draft I would like for us to have. So, without further ado, here is my Saints mock draft:

1.27 - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
          I'm a firm believer that we have to take one of the top five corners here if any are available. Ross happens to be my favorite, so basically this pick is wishful thinking, although I think there is a pretty decent chance of Ross in black and gold next season.

2.58 - David Harris, ILB, Michigan
          This may be a bit of a reach, but no more than Roman Harper was last year. I am very high on Harris. He's a hard worker with outstanding intangibles, had very productive junior and senior years in college, and he is the leader that every team wants at MLB. Athletically he won't wow you, but he's a "football player" who just gets the job done, and I see a good bit of DeMeco Ryans-like potential in him. Ideally, Simoneau would become the primary backup at both OLB positions, and Harris would be the backup to Simmons for a year or two (depending on how Simmons performs) before taking over at MLB.

3.89 - Josh Gattis, S, Wake Forest
          Even after bringing in Kaesviharn, we need some depth at safety. I expect Kaesviharn and Bullocks to battle for the starting FS spot, with the loser becoming backup. At SS, Harper should be the starter, but he still has questions surrounding the injury. Scott and Stoutmire are gone, and I don't expect Bellamy to be brought back either, leaving Steve Gleason (who should be used exclusively on special teams) as the 4th and final safety on our roster. Gattis was highly productive in college and has a good deal of NFL potential. In Scott's words, he "should at the very least be a backup and an excellent special teamer."

4.119 - Chansi Stuckey, WR, Clemson
          Stuckey is a guy who I think will fall this far due to his running a 4.65 at the combine, which would be a blessing in disguise if we could get him here. Stuckey plays A LOT faster than his 40 time would indicate. He has good hands and can make plays after the catch. He's not the most polished player and needs time to develop, but if he reaches his potential he could be a Steve Smith-type player.

4.121 - Baraka Atkins, DE, Miami
          We could use some depth at DE behind Will Smith and Charles Grant, and quite possibly a future replacement for Grant. Atkins is a player who has been very underrated during the whole process leading up to the draft, IMO. He's versatile, having experience at both DE and DT (although I think it's a given that he'll be used at DE). He isn't "great" at rushing the passer or stopping the run, but he's "good" at both. Ran a sub-4.7 40 at 270+ lbs. Nice potential.

4.122 - Antonio Johnson, DT, Mississippi State
          He's not very experienced and did not produce that much, but Johnson has all the tools to become a monster at DT. The risk here, using our third 4th round pick, is not a very big one, and the possible payoff could be huge. A developmental player who is probably the "boom or bust" type, but definitely worth taking a chance on here.

5.153 - Michael Allan, TE, Whitworth
          The biggest knock on Allan (and boy, is it big) is that he only played DIII ball. The level of talent surrounding him was obviously not what it would have been had he played DI or even DII. However, just reading Scott's report on Allan reminds me very much of another TE that used to be Brees' main target: "Leaper with good ball skills... seems to know how to get open and how to use his body... exceptional hands... runs well after the catch... also played basketball." His workout numbers were also outstanding. I think our group of TE's is solid enough to take a chance on this guy, and let's see what he can do against some real competition.

6.184 - Chris Leak, QB, Florida
          Leak will probably never be a starter in the NFL, but he's a guy who could develop into a solid backup. He proved this past year that he's a leader and he knows how to win. He needs to work on certain aspects of his game a good bit, but with his evident passion for playing football, I think he's a guy who will be 100% committed to getting better. Jamie Martin is getting older and Leak is a guy who could eventually become the backup to Drew.

7.201 - Onrea Jones, WR, Hampton
          Could he be the next Marques Colston? Extremely doubtful, but he could be a guy who could surprise some people and make a roster. He has a lot of upside as a WR, and is also a good special teams player. At the very least he could make our practice squad and work his way up. His athleticism and special teams potential makes him worth taking a shot on.
          The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
            I'm sure a few of you guys won't be in love with my mock, but this is exactly the type of draft I would like for us to have. So, without further ado, here is my Saints mock draft:

1.27 - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
            I'm a firm believer that we have to take one of the top five corners here if any are available. Ross happens to be my favorite, so basically this pick is wishful thinking, although I think there is a pretty decent chance of Ross in black and gold next season.

2.58 - David Harris, ILB, Michigan
            This may be a bit of a reach, but no more than Roman Harper was last year. I am very high on Harris. He's a hard worker with outstanding intangibles, had very productive junior and senior years in college, and he is the leader that every team wants at MLB. Athletically he won't wow you, but he's a "football player" who just gets the job done, and I see a good bit of DeMeco Ryans-like potential in him. Ideally, Simoneau would become the primary backup at both OLB positions, and Harris would be the backup to Simmons for a year or two (depending on how Simmons performs) before taking over at MLB.
            I love these picks, i'm not so sure Harris is that much of a reach. I've got a feeling he might be off the board before we pick in round 2.

Good job with your mock!

Comment

Well, since I didn't actually get on and vote before the poll closed this morning, I will cast the deciding vote now...

With the fifty-eighth selection of the 2007 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select:

Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, from the Ohio State University

Now, should we continue on to the third round... or do you think that it would be too hard to predict? It's all up to you guys... :)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post

Now, should we continue on to the third round... or do you think that it would be too hard to predict? It's all up to you guys... :)
                I say go for it, might as well finish up the first day. Put in a few late Day 1, early Day 2 prospects and we could always post some additional guys.

Comment

Sure. Why not give it a try :)

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Made a new mock. This is just one scenario where we trade Grant to Tampa for 2 Second round picks. So we get some compensation before he walks away for nothing.

Auron's Saints Draft 1.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Auron View Post
                      Made a new mock. This is just one scenario where we trade Grant to Tampa for 2 Second round picks. So we get some compensation before he walks away for nothing.

Auron's Saints Draft 1.3
                      I seriously, seriously doubt we could get both of Tampa's second round picks. The value of those picks combined would be slightly greater than the 21st pick in the draft, which is just unrealistic to expect for Grant. I'd say at the very best we could get one of Tampa's second rounders this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year. However, we could be incredibly stupid to trade an already angry Grant to one of our divisional rivals. If we're going to trade him anywhere, Tampa is not going to be the place. It doesn't seem to me like you completely thought this out.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                        I seriously, seriously doubt we could get both of Tampa's second round picks. The value of those picks combined would be slightly greater than the 21st pick in the draft, which is just unrealistic to expect for Grant. I'd say at the very best we could get one of Tampa's second rounders this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year. However, we could be incredibly stupid to trade an already angry Grant to one of our divisional rivals. If we're going to trade him anywhere, Tampa is not going to be the place. It doesn't seem to me like you completely thought this out.
                        Situation won't play out, but it is more likely that Tampa give up 2 seconds, than 2 firsts which would be franchise player compensation.

So far they seem to have been the only team to show any serious interest. We'll see closer to Draft day if Grant is moved I don't think it's likely but anything can happen on Draft day. This was only one scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auron View Post
                          Situation won't play out, but it is more likely that Tampa give up 2 seconds, than 2 firsts which would be franchise player compensation.

So far they seem to have been the only team to show any serious interest. We'll see closer to Draft day if Grant is moved I don't think it's likely but anything can happen on Draft day. This was only one scenario.
                          Nobody is ever going to give up two firsts for Grant, so really, pretty much anything is more likely. Getting mid-first round value for Grant is unrealistic. The only team in the league who would be stupid enough to give up that much would probably be the Redskins, who actually need a DE, but don't have the picks to offer even if they would be interested.

I'd say a second, or even a swap of second rounders with a team picking earlier than us this year, with a conditional pick next year, is the absolute best we could hope for. Just because the franchise compensation is two first rounders doesn't mean the player is worth anything remotely close to that.

And like I said, trading one of our angry players to a divisional rival would be one of the dumbest things we could do. I'd rather take my chances on him walking next year and possibly signing somewhere out of the division.

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

• Originally posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
                            Nobody is ever going to give up two firsts for Grant, so really, pretty much anything is more likely. Getting mid-first round value for Grant is unrealistic. The only team in the league who would be stupid enough to give up that much would probably be the Redskins, who actually need a DE, but don't have the picks to offer even if they would be interested.

I'd say a second, or even a swap of second rounders with a team picking earlier than us this year, with a conditional pick next year, is the absolute best we could hope for. Just because the franchise compensation is two first rounders doesn't mean the player is worth anything remotely close to that.

And like I said, trading one of our angry players to a divisional rival would be one of the dumbest things we could do. I'd rather take my chances on him walking next year and possibly signing somewhere out of the division.
                            I agree that it is ridiculous to think any team would give up 2 firsts for Grant, I can't remember the last time a franchise player was traded for that. It's hard to say how teams value players. Although I must admit the overly optimistic scenario comes from other Saints fans complaining I'm not getting enough compensation for Grant.

Which is pretty much why I dislike doing trades in mocks, it's too hard to figure out the proper values...

I do see the point about him going to a Division rival. We are going to go through a situation like that with Horn this year in Atlanta.

Comment

• Auron, even if the whole Charles Grant for two second rounders doesn't pan out, I do like the majority of your picks, especially Craig "Buster" Davis and John Beck.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan, as Auron pointed out, it is not out of the ordinary for teams to trade to other teams within their own division. That being said, I agree with you, I would prefer it if the Saints did not trade Grant to a division rival.

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Comment

• I will... cross your fingers! :)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information